View Full Version : Shampoo only in hard water & stylist help

xcrunr2go
September 4th, 2017, 11:14 AM
Lately I've discovered if I use shampoo only my hair feels better (shinier/softer/more manageable)! I have hard water. Is this horribly bad for my hair? I let it air dry then oil & bun/braid it most days. Also in desperate need of a micro-trim but I don't trust any stylists. Any suggestions? I try to look for their portfolios of haircuts/styles however it seems a lot of salons I'm coming across don't have these available.

Shorty89
September 4th, 2017, 11:21 AM
I think that if it feels and looks good, then I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe do an ACV rinse occasionally? As as micro-trimming, have you heard of Feye's self-trimming method? A lot of LHCers, including myself, use it.

http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Olavi
September 4th, 2017, 11:50 AM
I have not regularly used conditioner for years. I sometimes try it out for a while, but I always fall back. Same with oils. Rinses never really become a habit either. And so far my hair is fine, maybe a tiny bit more tangly, than it would with regular conditioning, but nothing drastic.

pili
September 4th, 2017, 11:55 AM
I say if it works for you, then go with it. You don't have to use conditioner. There isn't really a rulebook. You must just be lucky and hard water doesn't affect you. Awesome!

As for the stylist. I, personally, do not trust them. Try the link above.

Chromis
September 4th, 2017, 01:37 PM
I think that if it feels and looks good, then I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe do an ACV rinse occasionally? As as micro-trimming, have you heard of Feye's self-trimming method? A lot of LHCers, including myself, use it.

http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

I super recommend Feye's self trim! One thing though is to make sure you have a good sharp pair of haircutting scissors which are used for nothing else. If you use dull scissors (or the stylist does or worse, they do razoring or thinning shears), you will make split ends. If you don't have a pair already, you will likely recoup the cost in only one or two trims compared to going to a salon. :D

lapushka
September 4th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Lately I've discovered if I use shampoo only my hair feels better (shinier/softer/more manageable)! I have hard water. Is this horribly bad for my hair? I let it air dry then oil & bun/braid it most days. Also in desperate need of a micro-trim but I don't trust any stylists. Any suggestions? I try to look for their portfolios of haircuts/styles however it seems a lot of salons I'm coming across don't have these available.

At around shoulder length, trust me, you can do without conditioner. You'll not have that luxury once it gets around APL, I think, if you're a little like me. I washed without conditioner at chin length too, but once it got to be around APL, I needed conditioner.

I have had hard water all my life; it's not that what makes you go without conditioner; it's the length.

When was your last trim?

Deborah
September 5th, 2017, 12:42 AM
I have very hard water and have not used conditioner for years. I simply don't need it. My hair is right at hip again now, I just noticed today, and is healthy and not dry or tangly. I say don't use what you don't need.