PDA

View Full Version : my hair is not growing???

potsie
September 3rd, 2017, 04:39 PM
i noticed a few years back that my hair was just frozen in the same spot. either that or it's just growing very, very, VERY slowly.
i've had waist-length hair for about 3 years now!!
anyone know what i can do??? :confused:

akurah
September 3rd, 2017, 04:40 PM
Do you trim?

divinedobbie
September 3rd, 2017, 04:45 PM
Do you trim?

That was going to be my first question, mind reader :)

potsie
September 3rd, 2017, 04:46 PM
no ma'am, i only trimmed once in the span of 3~4 years; and i dont have many split-ends anyway.

potsie
September 3rd, 2017, 04:47 PM
nope! and i dont have many split ends either!

luxurioushair
September 3rd, 2017, 04:49 PM
Maybe your ends are breaking off because they are dry and worn. So, if you do not trim I can understand that. If you start applying water and/or oils to your ends everyday, I am sure you will start to see growth. Trimming is really not necessary, although it is an option for worn ends that will interfere with your progress. Or, just moisturize the ends of your hair :)

divinedobbie
September 3rd, 2017, 04:50 PM
So you'd say your ends are in good condition then? And what's your diet like? Is it possible you're not eating much protein or another nutrient? And has there been a lot of stress in your life for the past few years? Do you wear your hair up or down usually?

akurah
September 3rd, 2017, 05:03 PM
How tall are you? Waist on someone who is 5'8" will seem like a longer "span" of time than waist on someone who is shorter. Waist is kind of a troublesome milestone--some people consider as short as BSL waist, and as long as hip, also waist. Going by that, there's a pretty long span of torso to traverse. Also see this chart:
https://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-length-chart.gif (https://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-length-chart.gif)

To really be "true" waist, you kind of have to go by what clothing manufacturers dictate as waist, and that is the narrowest part of your torso if memory serves, near or just above the bellybutton.

It's also possible you are at "terminal" length, though it is unlikely.

Is your hair curly or straight? If it is curly, do you measure "waist" as wet, or dry? Because if your hair is at waist when dry AND it's curly, your hair is quite, quite long, probably longer than mine and I'm at tailbone.

potsie
September 3rd, 2017, 05:04 PM
So you'd say your ends are in good condition then? And what's your diet like? Is it possible you're not eating much protein or another nutrient? And has there been a lot of stress in your life for the past few years? Do you wear your hair up or down usually?

i always wear my hair in braids, and the years before this one were probably the most stressful and unhealthiest years of my life, so it would make sense that my hair refused to grow. however this year i am doing much better in terms of diet, mental health, and exercise; but still not seeing the growth unfortunately!

potsie
September 3rd, 2017, 05:08 PM
How tall are you? Waist on someone who is 5'8" will seem like a longer "span" of time than waist on someone who is shorter. Waist is kind of a troublesome milestone--some people consider as short as BSL waist, and as long as hip, also waist. Going by that, there's a pretty long span of torso to traverse. Also see this chart:
https://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-length-chart.gif (https://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-length-chart.gif)

To really be "true" waist, you kind of have to go by what clothing manufacturers dictate as waist, and that is the narrowest part of your torso if memory serves, near or just above the bellybutton.

It's also possible you are at "terminal" length, though it is unlikely.

Is your hair curly or straight? If it is curly, do you measure "waist" as wet, or dry? Because if your hair is at waist when dry AND it's curly, your hair is quite, quite long, probably longer than mine and I'm at tailbone.

i am 5'4, and i always looked at the tips of my hair relative to my elbows (arms straight down) and measured dry hair. when my hair is wet it barely reaches hip length, and it has been that way for quite some time.

Nique1202
September 3rd, 2017, 05:13 PM
It's possible that you hit a false terminal, either because of damage to the hair (it's not always just split ends, sometimes the hair just wears down and breaks off without splitting) or because of a health issue. If you've had a checkup with a reputable doctor in the time it's been stalled, then I'd look at your routine for damaging habits.

Some people find that:

-changing the tools they use (giving up heat styling and plastic brushes in favour of wide-toothed seamless combs or Tangle Teezers, for example, or using different elastics or switching to hair sticks to tie their hair up )
-or the things they do to the hair (giving up dye and chemical treatments)
-or just plain protecting the hair from touching rough things or getting caught in things (everything that touches your hair, like shirts, bags, chairs, seatbelts, it all can add up to a lot of damage over the course of a hair strand's life from root to tip)

are all things that can help them to move past a false terminal. But, sometimes people do have a terminal length at waist, or even shorter, and there may not be anything that will truly help you get more length. In that case, you may have to get used to the idea of your hair being the length it is. But for most people the terminal length seems to be quite a bit longer than waist so there may be hope.

potsie
September 3rd, 2017, 05:16 PM
It's possible that you hit a false terminal, either because of damage to the hair (it's not always just split ends, sometimes the hair just wears down and breaks off without splitting) or because of a health issue. If you've had a checkup with a reputable doctor in the time it's been stalled, then I'd look at your routine for damaging habits.

Some people find that:

-changing the tools they use (giving up heat styling and plastic brushes in favour of wide-toothed seamless combs or Tangle Teezers, for example, or using different elastics or switching to hair sticks to tie their hair up )
-or the things they do to the hair (giving up dye and chemical treatments)
-or just plain protecting the hair from touching rough things or getting caught in things (everything that touches your hair, like shirts, bags, chairs, seatbelts, it all can add up to a lot of damage over the course of a hair strand's life from root to tip)

are all things that can help them to move past a false terminal. But, sometimes people do have a terminal length at waist, or even shorter, and there may not be anything that will truly help you get more length. In that case, you may have to get used to the idea of your hair being the length it is. But for most people the terminal length seems to be quite a bit longer than waist so there may be hope.

that makes sense. thank you thank you thank you!!! :flowers: