PDA

View Full Version : REGRET MY HAIR CUT- Was it worth it?

amuchan
September 3rd, 2017, 01:24 PM
I had waist length hair but the ends were so dry because of bleach and hair dye. My hair is naturally very dry. I chopped it off to BSL. Was it worth chopping it off? Will it grow back healthier or will the ends always be this thin? I had extreme layers. Should I not get layers anymore?

Before:

https://s26.postimg.org/6eapjygix/IMG_4698_2.jpg

After:

https://s26.postimg.org/k9902fay1/IMG_4646.jpg

Aredhel
September 3rd, 2017, 01:43 PM
Hard to compare when the after shot only shows a piece of hair from the front. :) But chopping off damaged/dry ends is probably never a bad idea. Have you looked into moisture treatments to keep the dryness at bay? I struggle with dryness too, and I specifically need products that help seal in moisture. What's your washing routine like? How often do you shampoo? Do you shampoo all of your hair or just your scalp? Do you use conditioner? Have you experimented with conditioning cremes or oils?

I would also advise against layering your hair if you want thicker ends... your ends currently only consist of your longest layers, hence the thinness.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 3rd, 2017, 01:47 PM
Personally I think you could have cut to waist, then maintained by micro trimming for a bit. I also deal with dryness and I combat that by going through long periods of maintaining at certain milestones.

embee
September 3rd, 2017, 03:39 PM
Sure it will grow back. Just don't dye it or bleach it. It's also good to put it up so it doesn't get caught in things - like purse straps, chair backs, velcro closers. Take good gentle care of it. Layers are not for everyone, but eventually, if you let hair just grow and grow, it makes its own layers and will fairytale-end. Some folks like that, some don't. Personal choice.

lapushka
September 3rd, 2017, 03:43 PM
You have to decide for yourself if it's worth it to get layers. I'd only do it if the hair is particularly heavy (like iii).

Happy growing,

and welcome to the forum! :D

Jo Ann
September 3rd, 2017, 05:08 PM
Welcome aboard, Amuchan!

That chop might have been a good thing, as it got rid of your damage--and I'm not one to take cutting one's hair lightly, but sometimes it's better to do it. You'll have more healthy hair to work with and a better idea of what your hair might be needing, with less damaged hair to deal with.

My hair, too, is dry. I have found that moisturizing conditioners and treatments, as well as using an oil serum, help tremendously to help moisturize it and keep it from breaking, splitting and getting all frizzy. One thing you might try is a SMT: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php? If your hair is sensitive to proteins, like mine, you might try using a conditioning balm or a conditioner that's low in proteins when you SMT.

On the other hand, your hair might also be needing proteins to help combat the damage. If you do need proteins, there's some good conditioners and hair masks out there for that, too. This video might help you determine which way to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdviRNXajPo

If you can post your hair care routine, like Aredhel suggested, it can help to find ways to help you be happy with your hair.

akurah
September 3rd, 2017, 05:20 PM
Honestly, your hair looked fine to me before. And it looks fine after.

If you have layers, your ends will be thin, that's just the nature of it--most people only get to pick one. Very few people have hair so thick that even if layered it does not look thin.

If you leave your hair alone, it will grow back healthier. If you continue to dye or bleach it, you'll damage the new growth the same was you damaged the old hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 3rd, 2017, 05:39 PM
First of all, welcome here. :waving:

Your hair looked fine before you cut it, but it's no use crying over spilt milk. Your damage was likely caused by bleaching and dying your hair, and also layers are really good at giving you thin ends. You can grow back your hair again but if you keep bleaching and dying it, it won't help your hair to be healthy. But you will learn plenty of tips here to keep it as healthy as possible as it grows back. There are plenty of things you can try to help with dry ends (oiling, deep treatments, condition-wash-condition), plus wearing your hair up in protective styles to protect your ends from damage does wonders :)

*Wednesday*
September 4th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Wish you came here before cutting. You could of treated your ends if they were dry. Your hair looked fine before. What's done is done. Just take care of your hair, hereafter. :)

spidermom
September 4th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Speaking strictly personally, I don't like the "before" picture very much. The ends are too thin and wispy for me. As for the "after" picture, it's hard to tell what's going on. The ends look kind of blunt, but I think I see thin wispy ends hanging below the blunt ends. ? If you want people to compare, take an "after" photo from the back like you did in the "before" picture.

Alibran
September 4th, 2017, 12:49 PM
There's no point in regretting it, and the great thing about hair is that it grows, and now you have a chance to look after it better as it grows.

Your first photo looks as if you had your hair half-up. How much did that affect the thickness of the ends? And yes, layers are always going to make your ends look thinner because the shorter layers are ending further up. You have to decide what's more important to you.

spidermom
September 4th, 2017, 12:56 PM
P.S: I also don't understand what you mean by "I had waist length hair". If you are talking about the "before" picture, the ends are at a level quite a bit longer than waist, even a little past hips. Your natural waist is at the smallest circumference of your torso, usually right below where your ribs end. Also, if you face the mirror and bend to one side and then the other, waist is where the fold forms when bending.

FuzzyBlackWaves
September 4th, 2017, 01:02 PM
I think your hair looks much better now. You've cut all of the damage off, I'd say that's worth losing a few inches.

lapushka
September 4th, 2017, 02:36 PM
P.S: I also don't understand what you mean by "I had waist length hair". If you are talking about the "before" picture, the ends are at a level quite a bit longer than waist, even a little past hips. Your natural waist is at the smallest circumference of your torso, usually right below where your ribs end. Also, if you face the mirror and bend to one side and then the other, waist is where the fold forms when bending.

Yes it looks more like it was verging on TBL!

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 4th, 2017, 02:47 PM

Im sure she is new, and does not know terminology here as well as the rest of us.
Thats why in my first comment here, I suggested that cutting to waist would have been the better option, then micro trimming along to grow out whatever damage exists afterward. She looks much longer than waist.

But, whats done is done. No use in badgering OP on things she may not completely understand.

OP, I suggest you now leave your hair alone, micro trim and maybe frequent the forums before cutting.
And maybe buy some shears so you can trim yourself. That second photo, looks like the stylist may have layered your hair?
I would avoid going to them again, for me when layers grow out I start getting thin again. You may find yourself growing again and ending up with similar ends again because of the cut. :)

Dendra
September 4th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Don't be too sad about it, it will grow back :) Sometimes I'm glad of the bigger chops I did to get rid of damage pre-LHC. Had I joined here first I might not have had the guts to get rid of that hair, and it needed to go!

Arciela
September 4th, 2017, 05:21 PM
I would have cut to waist..and then maintained until all the bleach/damage was gone. Maybe take a photo from the back so we can see a better after shot :flower: but cutting of damaged hair is never bad..and it should grow back healthier if you take care of it and such (no dye, bleach, heat etc) and either way no regrets! Its done and all you can do now is enjoy the journey of growing it out :)

Aunt Rapunzel
September 4th, 2017, 05:34 PM
It's hard to see what the final result is without a similar back-shot as the first....But your hair will grow. :) I think MANY people initially have regrets over a big cut, but sometimes that's a great way to start fresh! And it's a great opportunity to join in some of the threads and get encouragement from others who are growing their hair out as well. :)

Cherriezzzzz
September 4th, 2017, 06:01 PM
I agree that it was fine before and you could've easily trimmed it yourself. You'll grow faster and better and healthier hair now that you're here! Stay pull up a chair and get ready to think... "I guess knee length would be ok..." haha

Salwety
September 5th, 2017, 10:06 AM
f you don't intend to re bleach your hair, so you don't have to regret it.

Dendra
September 5th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Were your ends actually split or were they just dry? That makes a difference for sure.

- Lizzy -
September 5th, 2017, 10:44 AM
I do think it was worth it because now that the damage is gone, you can have fully healthy hair!

spidermom
September 5th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Im sure she is new, and does not know terminology here as well as the rest of us.
Thats why in my first comment here, I suggested that cutting to waist would have been the better option, then micro trimming along to grow out whatever damage exists afterward. She looks much longer than waist.

But, whats done is done. No use in badgering OP on things she may not completely understand.

OP, I suggest you now leave your hair alone, micro trim and maybe frequent the forums before cutting.
And maybe buy some shears so you can trim yourself. That second photo, looks like the stylist may have layered your hair?
I would avoid going to them again, for me when layers grow out I start getting thin again. You may find yourself growing again and ending up with similar ends again because of the cut. :)

Was I badgering OP? I'm just trying to get us all on the same page for terminology.

browneyedsusan
September 5th, 2017, 02:47 PM
It's fine.
Hair grows. :)

Ondine11
September 6th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Do you have an 'after' photo showing the hemline in back? I'm sure it seems like a drastic cut, but, BSL is pretty long, & now you can baby your fresh, new ends & have all your length back by next summer. Hang out here & the time will fly by!