PDA

View Full Version : Wearing hair up?

queenbee1
September 2nd, 2017, 02:40 PM
I'm really self conscious about my double chin and I hide it by wearing my hair down. It's very hard for me to wear my hair up because I feel very.... Exposed? Ideas on how to fix this? It is kind of taking a toll on my waist length (almost) 😄 hair.

Alibran
September 2nd, 2017, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately, I think the only answer is 'get over it'. And I don't mean that in an unkind way, but just that there isn't an alternative.

I do understand, though. I have a couple of lines on my forehead that I'm very self-conscious about, so I cut bangs in to hide them. I realised I don't like the bangs all that much, but it's a choice between bangs of visible lines, and I'm obviously vain, so ...

But you do know that your double chin is much more noticeable to you than it is to other people, don't you?

mira-chan
September 2nd, 2017, 02:49 PM
Maybe face framing layers? It's an alternative to wearing all of your hair down.

Otherwise, everyone has a double chin at some angles so rock it? Changes are always a bit disconcerting at first, but you get used to the change withing a few days usually. Everyone is usually a lot more critical of themselves than others. Your chin probably looks fine with or without hair curtains. :)

queenbee1
September 2nd, 2017, 02:53 PM
Unfortunately, I think the only answer is 'get over it'. And I don't mean that in an unkind way, but just that there isn't an alternative.

I do understand, though. I have a couple of lines on my forehead that I'm very self-conscious about, so I cut bangs in to hide them. I realised I don't like the bangs all that much, but it's a choice between bangs of visible lines, and I'm obviously vain, so ...

But you do know that your double chin is much more noticeable to you than it is to other people, don't you?

Haha! I'm vain too! :P
I didn't actually care much about it until a colleague pointed it out (and then proceeded to point it out until I did). I'm very skinny it's just my double chin and now whenever I look in the mirror it's the first thing I notice. :(

queenbee1
September 2nd, 2017, 02:54 PM
Maybe face framing layers? It's an alternative to wearing all of your hair down.

Otherwise, everyone has a double chin at some angles so rock it? Changes are always a bit disconcerting at first, but you get used to the change withing a few days usually. Everyone is usually a lot more critical of themselves than others. Your chin probably looks fine with or without hair curtains. :)

Haha face framing layers aren't won't help enough it's not visible from the front but it's visible from the side. I live the term 'Hair curtains' :D.

You're very kind, thank you :)

mira-chan
September 2nd, 2017, 03:11 PM
I didn't actually care much about it until a colleague pointed it out (and then proceeded to point it out until I did). I'm very skinny it's just my double chin and now whenever I look in the mirror it's the first thing I notice. :(
I think that colleague was rude.That was awful of them. If no one else has mentioned it, then it's not that noticeable except to the hyper critical who no one should listen to anyway.

Haha face framing layers aren't won't help enough it's not visible from the front but it's visible from the side. I live the term 'Hair curtains' :D.

You're very kind, thank you :)
I'm really skinny (borderline underweight ...due to health issues), and fine bone structure, if I look down you'll see a bit a double chin from the side. If I have this I think just about everyone will. Please don't worry about it.

A forward head posture tend to stretch out the skin under the chin, while also giving the lovely side effect of neck/back pain and headaches. I think with computers being more common this forward head position is more common too, and straight posture starts looking a little more double chin like. Maybe your coworker is used to seeing this not so great posture in people?

Corvana
September 2nd, 2017, 03:18 PM

Your colleague needs to go suck on a rock. What the heck. That's such disgusting behavior IMO. There's an etiquette rule I read once that basically said to not point out things that can't be fixed in ten minutes or less. Something spilled on a shirt? Ok to mention. Arm flab? Not ok to mention. Something on their face like dirt or food? Ok to mention. Something on their face like acne? Not ok to mention.

Alibran
September 2nd, 2017, 03:20 PM

That colleague sounds like someone who is jealous of you, and needs to see you as imperfect to make themselves feel better. It's a horrible thing to do.

lapushka
September 2nd, 2017, 03:23 PM

If you're very skinny, I doubt it's much of an issue (can't be that bad then). What a terrible person to point that out to you! :(

It's a different look, just a different look with hair up and something to get used to. Maybe do an updo, and take a picture in a most flattering angle, and keep that picture on your phone or print it out and keep it with you, and whenever you feel doubtful about it, take a look at that picture!

Nique1202
September 2nd, 2017, 03:24 PM
If you're willing to experiment a little at home until you get it just right, try finding a contouring product (it could be a skin-colour eyeshadow a little darker than your skin tone, or a product designed for contouring your skin tone) and apply it to the front of your double chin, blending it backward. I'm sure there are makeup tutorials on YouTube for hiding a double chin this way, but I've always just applied my contouring stick along the "crease" at the front where the double chin starts, and gently blend it back into the rest of the under-chin area. It works really well, doesn't take long, and it may help you to become comfortable enough to wear your hair up more if that's what you want to do. :blossom:

Aredhel
September 2nd, 2017, 03:29 PM
This used to be a huge issue for me because I have a small chin and round face; I have a double chin no matter how little fat I have on the rest of my body. The only way I was able to overcome it was to just force myself to wear my hair up all the time and just not care about it.:shrug: I used to wear my hair down all the time for this reason but I realized how much damage I was putting my hair through, so I had to just suck it up.

And pay no mind to your colleage. That was extremely rude of them. A colleague once told me that I looked pregnant (I was bloated; it was "that time of the month") and I just rolled my eyes and told her to shove it. Some people just lack social skills and tact. One can find imperfections on literally everybody when trying hard enough. But most humans do not do this... sounds to me like your colleage was just bitter and likely self-conscious of their own self.

queenbee1
September 2nd, 2017, 03:38 PM
Thank you. All of you made me feel a lot better. ❤️

queenbee1
September 2nd, 2017, 03:42 PM
I think that colleague was rude.That was awful of them. If no one else has mentioned it, then it's not that noticeable except to the hyper critical who no one should listen to anyway.

I'm really skinny (borderline underweight ...due to health issues), and fine bone structure, if I look down you'll see a bit a double chin from the side. If I have this I think just about everyone will. Please don't worry about it.

A forward head posture tend to stretch out the skin under the chin, while also giving the lovely side effect of neck/back pain and headaches. I think with computers being more common this forward head position is more common too, and straight posture starts looking a little more double chin like. Maybe your coworker is used to seeing this not so great posture in people?

Now that I think about it, only 2 people have pointed out my double chin. I'm sorry for your heath problems and I pray and hope you get well soon. 🌸 I'm borderline underweight too! 4'9 and 40kg. Thank you for making me feel so much better ^-^ always good to see other peoples' point of view!

queenbee1
September 2nd, 2017, 03:44 PM
Your colleague needs to go suck on a rock. What the heck. That's such disgusting behavior IMO. There's an etiquette rule I read once that basically said to not point out things that can't be fixed in ten minutes or less. Something spilled on a shirt? Ok to mention. Arm flab? Not ok to mention. Something on their face like dirt or food? Ok to mention. Something on their face like acne? Not ok to mention.
Haha it did make me feel awful. Might be constructive criticism in his mind. I told him to cut it out and we barely talk now. Thank you for the kind words. �� that's a pretty solid quote. I love it!

queenbee1
September 2nd, 2017, 03:46 PM
That colleague sounds like someone who is jealous of you, and needs to see you as imperfect to make themselves feel better. It's a horrible thing to do.

Hahaha you never know :P
He's a guy though and I'm girl

queenbee1
September 2nd, 2017, 03:54 PM
Haha it did make me feel awful. Might be constructive criticism in his mind. I told him to cut it out and we barely talk now. Thank you for the kind words. �� that's a pretty solid quote. I love it!

If you're very skinny, I doubt it's much of an issue (can't be that bad then). What a terrible person to point that out to you! :(

It's a different look, just a different look with hair up and something to get used to. Maybe do an updo, and take a picture in a most flattering angle, and keep that picture on your phone or print it out and keep it with you, and whenever you feel doubtful about it, take a look at that picture!

That's a great idea! Thank you ^-^ Will definitely try it

Aredhel
September 2nd, 2017, 03:55 PM
Hahaha you never know :P
He's a guy though and I'm girl

Men can definitely be jealous of women for many reasons that may not even have anything to do with gender. :) Sounds like he's projecting his own insecurities onto you.

queenbee1
September 2nd, 2017, 03:57 PM
If you're willing to experiment a little at home until you get it just right, try finding a contouring product (it could be a skin-colour eyeshadow a little darker than your skin tone, or a product designed for contouring your skin tone) and apply it to the front of your double chin, blending it backward. I'm sure there are makeup tutorials on YouTube for hiding a double chin this way, but I've always just applied my contouring stick along the "crease" at the front where the double chin starts, and gently blend it back into the rest of the under-chin area. It works really well, doesn't take long, and it may help you to become comfortable enough to wear your hair up more if that's what you want to do. :blossom:

I always wanted to know how to contour to hide a double chin but all the tutorials I found showed how to contour to get a jawline. Thank you so much for the explanation! I get it now. Off to buy new makeup 🙈

mira-chan
September 2nd, 2017, 04:00 PM
Now that I think about it, only 2 people have pointed out my double chin. I'm sorry for your heath problems and I pray and hope you get well soon. �� I'm borderline underweight too! 4'9 and 40kg. Thank you for making me feel so much better ^-^ always good to see other peoples' point of view!
Thank you. Unfortunately it's related to my genetics cause connective tissue disorder so I'm stuck with it. A fast metabolism doesn't help in this. Just learning how to manage things still, thankfully my family is awesome at helping me, even when the hangry is strong. :D I'm 5'4" and try to keep above 50kg.

Good for you for telling him so. Some people lack tack and don't know when to stop. I had a coworker like that too and they didn't stop until I put my foot down quite firmly.

queenbee1
September 2nd, 2017, 04:01 PM

This used to be a huge issue for me because I have a small chin and round face; I have a double chin no matter how little fat I have on the rest of my body. The only way I was able to overcome it was to just force myself to wear my hair up all the time and just not care about it.:shrug: I used to wear my hair down all the time for this reason but I realized how much damage I was putting my hair through, so I had to just suck it up.

And pay no mind to your colleage. That was extremely rude of them. A colleague once told me that I looked pregnant (I was bloated; it was "that time of the month") and I just rolled my eyes and told her to shove it. Some people just lack social skills and tact. One can find imperfections on literally everybody when trying hard enough. But most humans do not do this... sounds to me like your colleage was just bitter and likely self-conscious of their own self.

Awh! That's rude! Good response!

Thank you for the kind words ��❤️ they really do mean a lot to me :)

queenbee1
September 2nd, 2017, 04:04 PM
Thank you. Unfortunately it's related to my genetics cause connective tissue disorder so I'm stuck with it. A fast metabolism doesn't help in this. Just learning how to manage things still, thankfully my family is awesome at helping me, even when the hangry is strong. :D I'm 5'4" and try to keep above 50kg.

Good for you for telling him so. Some people lack tack and don't know when to stop. I had a coworker like that too and they didn't stop until I put my foot down quite firmly.

That's good to know! I sincerely hope you get (and stay) well and it gets easier for you. :) stay strong you!
We should form a community against coworkers like these :p the anti harsh words community

mira-chan
September 2nd, 2017, 04:33 PM
That's good to know! I sincerely hope you get (and stay) well and it gets easier for you. :) stay strong you!
We should form a community against coworkers like these :p the anti harsh words community

Thanks. :) Well this place is pretty good for that, with the KNIT guidelines in place here, with K standing for kind. :)

VersLaLumière
September 2nd, 2017, 06:26 PM
I agree with the others about your colleague - very unkind and rude!

I knew a woman who had a double chin and she was VERY pretty. This feature was just part of her character and IMO it actually had the effect of making her even more attractive. She had a very interesting face.

Each of us have different facial features and head shapes (and different personalities) and so different hairdos can be especially flattering for different people. How about experimenting and finding ones that suit you well? Maybe post some pictures to show us :)

queenbee1
September 2nd, 2017, 07:12 PM
Thanks. :) Well this place is pretty good for that, with the KNIT guidelines in place here, with K standing for kind. :)

True! This place is probably the sweetest, most humble and the most supportive group of people on the internet

queenbee1
September 2nd, 2017, 07:13 PM
I agree with the others about your colleague - very unkind and rude!

I knew a woman who had a double chin and she was VERY pretty. This feature was just part of her character and IMO it actually had the effect of making her even more attractive. She had a very interesting face.

Each of us have different facial features and head shapes (and different personalities) and so different hairdos can be especially flattering for different people. How about experimenting and finding ones that suit you well? Maybe post some pictures to show us :)

I would've loved to see that woman!
Yes, I guess it's time for me to experiment, I'm a little camera shy tho :p
We'll see if I can muster up the courage ��

Jo Ann
September 2nd, 2017, 07:40 PM
Queenbee, your rude co-worker is a toad. Don't waste your energy over him. You sound like a very sweet person and no one deserves to be hounded into anything by the likes of him.

I was very self-conscious of my ears (think Dumbo, the Disney elephant) and was very reluctant to wear my hair in a bun because of that. Finally, I just said to heck with it, I was going to go out wearing a bun. No one has ever commented on my ears to me! I would suggest you go on and do what makes you happy! We, all of us, tend to magnify what we perceive to be imperfections in ourselves and they never turn out to be the big deal WE make them out to be.

Deborah
September 2nd, 2017, 08:03 PM
That is just one mean spirited :knuckle: man. I'd ignore him.

I think updos have an uplifting effect on the face anyway, and are not likely to emphasize any of our imperfections. I honestly think most of us look better with our hair up rather than with our hair hanging down alongside the face.

AZDesertRose
September 2nd, 2017, 08:17 PM
Add me to the chorus of "your coworker was being a rude jerk to say that to you (or anyone for that matter, because that sort of comment is just rude and mean-spirited, full stop!)."

I have to agree with the rule Corvana mentioned; if something can't be fixed fairly quickly (such as a spill on clothes or something stuck to someone's face or in their teeth), then just don't say anything to the person about it. And I'd add, even if the thing can be fixed fairly quickly, if one can't call it to the person's attention subtly/privately, it's another good time to exercise the muscles that keep one's mouth shut.

My mother used to hate every ID photo ever taken of her because her (extremely strong) glasses would cause a glare, so the photographer at the DMV or the military ID office (my stepdad is retired military) would ask her to drop her chin lower and lower to avoid the glare, which made her look like she had a double or even triple chin in the ID photos, which she totally did (and still does) not have in real life. (And then she got her cataracts repaired surgically, which had the effect of greatly improving her vision, and she doesn't need such strong glasses any more.)

I'm sure your face is perfectly lovely. Oh, and welcome! :waving:

Jo Ann
September 2nd, 2017, 08:24 PM
I hear that about the glasses, AZDR! I'm extremely near-sighted, but long ago, I decided to take my glasses off to have any ID pictures taken, which would lead to the following conversation:

Photographer: OK, Ma'am! Look at the "X" please?

Me: What "X"?

Photographer: The one in the lower right corner.

Me: What lower right corner?

Photographer: (waves hand over "X") This one, Ma'am.

Me: Oh, thank you so much! *smiles at camera*

pili
September 2nd, 2017, 09:14 PM
That coworker is horribly rude! Ignore what he says. If he says something again, tell him he's being rude.

lapushka
September 3rd, 2017, 07:57 AM
I hear that about the glasses, AZDR! I'm extremely near-sighted, but long ago, I decided to take my glasses off to have any ID pictures taken, which would lead to the following conversation:

Photographer: OK, Ma'am! Look at the "X" please?

Me: What "X"?

Photographer: The one in the lower right corner.

Me: What lower right corner?

Photographer: (waves hand over "X") This one, Ma'am.

Me: Oh, thank you so much! *smiles at camera*

Here in Belgium you can keep your glasses on if you need them for general vision (up to self-darkening glasses (they do decide on that on a one to one basis)). No real sunglasses though.

AZDesertRose
September 3rd, 2017, 08:21 AM
Here in Belgium you can keep your glasses on if you need them for general vision (up to self-darkening glasses (they do decide on that on a one to one basis)). No real sunglasses though.

The reason my mom generally left them on, particularly for driver's license photos (DMV stands for Department of Motor Vehicles, which is usually the name in each US state of the agency in charge of driver's licenses and vehicle registrations and so forth), was that her vision (pre-cataract surgery) was so poor that she'd never been legally permitted to drive without corrective lenses, and she tried contacts briefly but didn't like them (can't remember why she didn't like them; I didn't like them when I tried them, when they finally became available and reasonably affordable for people with astigmatism, because my eyes got too dry in the air conditioning, which is a necessity in Florida!).

So she legally was supposed to wear the glasses any time she was driving, so I think her thought process went, "If I'm ever pulled over, I will have my glasses on, so I should be wearing them in the driver's license photo," and in actual practice, I'm not sure she even got out of bed before putting on her glasses before the surgery! She probably left them on for the military-dependent ID photo out of pure force of habit. :D

They weren't sunglasses or the ones that change color depending on the light; I think her last few pairs of glasses before the cataract surgery had clip-on/magnetic sunglasses that matched the frames, which is the way I've gone for my last several pairs too.

queenbee1
September 3rd, 2017, 07:46 PM
Queenbee, your rude co-worker is a toad. Don't waste your energy over him. You sound like a very sweet person and no one deserves to be hounded into anything by the likes of him.

I was very self-conscious of my ears (think Dumbo, the Disney elephant) and was very reluctant to wear my hair in a bun because of that. Finally, I just said to heck with it, I was going to go out wearing a bun. No one has ever commented on my ears to me! I would suggest you go on and do what makes you happy! We, all of us, tend to magnify what we perceive to be imperfections in ourselves and they never turn out to be the big deal WE make them out to be.

Haha thank you for the kind words! You go girl! More power to you! Im sure youre lovely and have lovely ears :)

queenbee1
September 3rd, 2017, 07:54 PM
That is just one mean spirited :knuckle: man. I'd ignore him.

I think updos have an uplifting effect on the face anyway, and are not likely to emphasize any of our imperfections. I honestly think most of us look better with our hair up rather than with our hair hanging down alongside the face.

Haha thank you! Yes ive noticed that too. Like a subtle face lift. High ponytails look really good on me, and im sure the buns do too. :)

queenbee1
September 3rd, 2017, 07:57 PM
Add me to the chorus of "your coworker was being a rude jerk to say that to you (or anyone for that matter, because that sort of comment is just rude and mean-spirited, full stop!)."

I have to agree with the rule Corvana mentioned; if something can't be fixed fairly quickly (such as a spill on clothes or something stuck to someone's face or in their teeth), then just don't say anything to the person about it. And I'd add, even if the thing can be fixed fairly quickly, if one can't call it to the person's attention subtly/privately, it's another good time to exercise the muscles that keep one's mouth shut.

My mother used to hate every ID photo ever taken of her because her (extremely strong) glasses would cause a glare, so the photographer at the DMV or the military ID office (my stepdad is retired military) would ask her to drop her chin lower and lower to avoid the glare, which made her look like she had a double or even triple chin in the ID photos, which she totally did (and still does) not have in real life. (And then she got her cataracts repaired surgically, which had the effect of greatly improving her vision, and she doesn't need such strong glasses any more.)

I'm sure your face is perfectly lovely. Oh, and welcome! :waving:

I agree :)
Awwh! Your poor mother. Ive never had a good ID photo either and Ive just stopped trying. �� People who manage to get good ID photos are legendary

AZDesertRose
September 3rd, 2017, 08:03 PM
I agree :)
Awwh! Your poor mother. Ive never had a good ID photo either and Ive just stopped trying. �� People who manage to get good ID photos are legendary

Yeah, good ID photos seem to be pretty thin on the ground, to be sure. I realized when I had my university student ID photo taken that wearing my hair completely away from my face (I think I had it French braided when that photo was taken) is not exactly my best look for being photographed, and for every ID photo since, I've worn my hair down or at least taken it down for the photo.

Honestly, the best ID photo I ever had was just so-so; it was far from a good photo, but it didn't totally suck either. :laugh: