PDA

View Full Version : No-trimming 2019! Second half only!

Pages : [1] 2

lapushka
August 31st, 2017, 06:00 AM
For this challenge, you need to trim at the latest July 1st 2019.
Challenge ends on December 31st 2019.

No other trims are allowed during this half of the year for you to be part of this challenge.

If you want to no-trim for shorter periods of time during the year, then the "no-trimming club" is a better place for you:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132

Welcome, and "happy growing"!

Here's some easy guidelines for you:

You may maintain bangs.
You may not cut them in.
You may S&D
You may not trim.

If you are wanting to trim; please do so from:
July 1st through to and including July 5th.

FennFire911
February 22nd, 2019, 08:05 AM
Jeez it took me long enough to find this thread lol
I'm in. I'll be breaking 2019 into halves, and use July 1st as a trim break, cuz my ends are looking pretty rough!

Milady_DeWinter
February 22nd, 2019, 08:28 AM
I'll be in as well! :D Yay for your 6 months challenges, Lapushka :o

lapushka
February 22nd, 2019, 08:39 AM

I'm so glad they're useful!

Begemot
February 22nd, 2019, 09:34 AM
I want to believe I can join this challenge, though I'm not entirely sure... Thanks for bumping the thread! Gonna keep this in mind and see before July if this is my place or the no-trimming club :)

Sparkles122
February 22nd, 2019, 09:41 AM
Im in! Still chugging along over here, no dye since November and trying to continue to nurse my hair back to health. The damage along my crown that was closer to my roots is now becoming closer to my ears and making it much more manageable. Ends are still fine and my hemline is still blunt (which I hate) but I feel it will eventually start growing out of that bluntness especially with these no trims

FennFire911
February 22nd, 2019, 09:49 AM

I want to believe I can join this challenge, though I'm not entirely sure... Thanks for bumping the thread! Gonna keep this in mind and see before July if this is my place or the no-trimming club :)

Im in! Still chugging along over here, no dye since November and trying to continue to nurse my hair back to health. The damage along my crown that was closer to my roots is now becoming closer to my ears and making it much more manageable. Ends are still fine and my hemline is still blunt (which I hate) but I feel it will eventually start growing out of that bluntness especially with these no trims

Welcome aboard! I went all of 2018 with no trimming, and I started 2019 withOUT doing a January trim! I thought I would do this entire year but I really can't handle going 10 more months and not doing anything to tidy up my ends. I'm growing out a lot of damage. I need to limit trimming because I want the exercise in patience. At the same time, I can't go around looking shredded either.

Happy growing!

Begemot
February 22nd, 2019, 09:52 AM
Thank you FennFire911 :o I haven't tried to stretch trims this much with bleach damage ever before so I'm a little apprehensive but I'll try my best to make this challenge possible!

Moondancer
February 22nd, 2019, 10:11 AM
I’m officially joining the challenge! :cool:

lapushka
February 22nd, 2019, 10:31 AM
I’m officially joining the challenge! :cool:

Yay! Welcome! :)

TatsuOni
February 22nd, 2019, 11:16 AM
I'm obviously joining this challenge :p When the first half ends, I'll have gone a year without a trim. I'll trim between the challenges :)

LongHairM
February 22nd, 2019, 01:44 PM
I am joining!

FennFire911
February 22nd, 2019, 05:47 PM
I did see your reply to me in the other thread, thanks! :)

I'm glad to see so many people on board and gearing up to grow! Yay!

I'm pretty bummed that I have so many years ahead of me to grow out the damage I did. Patience is so much easier said than done. But I'm going to need to do these no trimming challenges in 6 month increments instead of a full year at a time. It's going to be a good blend of self control, and periodically cutting away the damage. And in the spirit of self control, I'm also only measuring quarterly on solstices and equinoxes instead of each month. It's a daily thing to remind myself to enjoy every stage and don't spend too much time wishing the days away.

CopperButterfly
February 22nd, 2019, 07:04 PM
If I can manage to get my hair trimmed by July 5th, I will join this challenge. But it depends if my hair stylist is working during those 5 days, since July 4th is a major US holiday, lots of people take time off during that week.

Liosan
March 7th, 2019, 12:34 AM
I’m in! The damage has grown out and the mullet was cut back 3 weeks ago. My layers are almost all at one length now. So with a last little tweak at the beginning of july, I think no trimming for 6 moths is doable at this point. Looking forward to it! It’s so much fun to plan ahead and set goals. And even better to share goals with others :cheer:

lapushka
March 7th, 2019, 04:21 AM
I’m in! The damage has grown out and the mullet was cut back 3 weeks ago. My layers are almost all at one length now. So with a last little tweak at the beginning of july, I think no trimming for 6 moths is doable at this point. Looking forward to it! It’s so much fun to plan ahead and set goals. And even better to share goals with others :cheer:

That's great! Welcome aboard, Liosan! And welcome to the site as well, if I hadn't welcomed you yet. :)

Ilyem
March 7th, 2019, 06:06 AM
I'm joining this challenge too. I haven't trimmmed my hair since December and am excited for my hair to finally get to APL. I should attain that by the end of this challenge.

lapushka
March 7th, 2019, 06:54 AM
I'm joining this challenge too. I haven't trimmmed my hair since December and am excited for my hair to finally get to APL. I should attain that by the end of this challenge.

Welcome! :)

Vacurlylady
March 7th, 2019, 07:42 AM
I’m in!!! I joined the 2019 no trim and the first six months of 2019 no trim. I figure cover all bases. I haven’t had a trim since January 2018 and that was very little. Just to get rid of the mullet-y look from growing out a pixie. My plan is to make it all of 2019 without a trim. If I get desperate I will do between July 1-5! My hair is curly and with what I have learned here I don’t see any splits. Which I’m extremely grateful! Have a great day! 🤗

Stray_mind
March 8th, 2019, 06:13 AM
I think i'll be joining this one as well. Going to plan my summer trim around this challenge. Hoping to reach as close to BSL as possible until the year ends.

tekla
March 8th, 2019, 06:22 AM
If all goes well at hair salon next month, I'll join in as well. I have an appointment for trim in late April and hopefully the shortest layers have grown long enough so that I can get rid of some layering and have a blunter bob. If that succeeds, I guess I could grow it out for the rest of the year and have ~SL hair by New Year.

Luna Starsetta
March 16th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Well I was shooting for no trim 2019... but it looks like my ends are not going to hold up. so I'll trim probably in June. Then start this here and not trim the rest of the year. as I have my wedding in July I decided not to trim that month!

lapushka
March 16th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Well I was shooting for no trim 2019... but it looks like my ends are not going to hold up. so I'll trim probably in June. Then start this here and not trim the rest of the year. as I have my wedding in July I decided not to trim that month!

Half a year is a feat as well! Don't be disappointed in yourself, not in the least. Your wedding is getting closer, wow.

Luna Starsetta
March 17th, 2019, 12:23 AM
Half a year is a feat as well! Don't be disappointed in yourself, not in the least. Your wedding is getting closer, wow.

I am very excited for that day to come though I'm in no real rush. It will be my one and only wedding where I get to wed the love of my life. Just hoping for a happy day with friends and family with no huge hiccups.

Beckstar
April 23rd, 2019, 10:19 AM
I'll be officially joining for the second half. Feels good to have fresh even ends. Tbh, I haven't been able to properly take care of my hair since my car accident last November. Right now sitting at shoulders it's a lot easier to take care of. But with physical therapy I'm getting better everyday, and we'll be ready for long hair again soon.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2019, 10:36 AM
I find myself in this part as well. I failed the full year, going back from FTL+ to classic a few weeks ago. But I will be cutting back as of now every January and growing for the rest of the year. January will be my trim month as of now. I plan on maintaining for the foreseeable future! :D

Luna Starsetta
April 23rd, 2019, 04:45 PM
Joining you both here as well I decided to trim the end of this month so my hair has time to grow back a bit before the wedding!

Wravyn
April 23rd, 2019, 04:53 PM
I'm going to give it a go. Definitely will need to get my hair trimmed before the deadline, but doing the first half only challenge wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.

illicitlizard
April 23rd, 2019, 09:52 PM
I feel I should join this thread too to stop me from wanting to trim on impulse, the first half 2019 thread has been great for that :P

I will definitely need a trim in July though, no splits as of yet but my ends could do with a freshen up. I'm gonna be away from home in the trimming window though so IDK maybe I'll trim whilst away or slightly before and duck out of the first half challenge a bit early we'll see!

Simpscone
April 24th, 2019, 02:39 AM
I'll be joining this one too! I thought I had already posted here but apparently not :lol:

I was going to do my own 6 month challenge which would mean a trim in August, but I've been thinking about it and being a part of the challenge here and cutting in June/January in future is a better plan.

So I'll trim just before the deadline and join you all on the journey to the end of the year! I hope to be on my way to BSL by then :cheer:

Stardreamer
April 24th, 2019, 03:34 AM
I'm joining! :D
I just gave myself a cut from apl to shoulders. Must grow out... so that will be 8 months of no trims, since I'm growing back out I think I can manage 8 months!! I have to think that I can do this.

rubygloom
May 3rd, 2019, 09:36 AM
I was only going to join 2020 no cut challenge but I think I am joining this one too cause I got encouraged when I saw I had 3 cm growth in the last month. I just want more of that without any cutting lol :)

luluj
May 3rd, 2019, 09:47 AM
For this challenge, you need to trim at the latest July 1st 2019.
Challenge ends on December 31st 2019.

No other trims are allowed during this half of the year for you to be part of this challenge.

Hi, lapushka. :waving:

I am going to join this challenge, my last trim was February 2019.

My hair is currently 18 inches and growing. This will mean 10 months without a trim.

...I can do this...

lapushka
May 3rd, 2019, 09:49 AM

My hair is currently 18 inches and growing. This will mean 10 months without a trim....I can do this.

Yes you can do this.

Welcome luluj!

Wow 3cm a month, that's amazing, rubygloom; how did you measure? The LHC way?

luluj
May 3rd, 2019, 09:53 AM
Yes you can do this.

Welcome luluj!

Thank-you for the encouragement and the welcome, lapushka.:flowers:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 3rd, 2019, 10:37 AM
I think you can count me in for this one :D

rubygloom
May 9th, 2019, 08:11 AM
I measured from root to ends of my hair. My hair too short to measure LHC way I think?

PallasAthena
May 9th, 2019, 11:33 PM
I'm joining this challenge. I think I last trimmed in March, so I will go for the rest of the year. My hair is almost exactly chin length, I will try to find a tape measure tomorrow. Pretty sure my son was using it for one of his sewing projects a while back.

Stardreamer
May 10th, 2019, 12:13 AM

My hair is currently 18 inches and growing. This will mean 10 months without a trim.

...I can do this...

I will be going 8 months without a trim - hehe

Simpscone
May 10th, 2019, 04:56 AM
I'm going to see how my ends are feeling at the end of June and decide then whether to trim before the challenge or just try and make it all the way to the end of the year - that would mean going 10 months without trims! I've never gone anywhere close to that long before!

lapushka
May 10th, 2019, 08:26 AM
I'm in the second part myself, not making the first part as I cut back from FTL+ to classic.

No scissors are going near this head until January next!

browntatis
May 10th, 2019, 09:45 PM
Hi! I want to join the challenge.

I was in the 2019 first half and whole years challenges but I failed, I had a v shape which I hate and I wanted a more even hemline, so I cut the tip, aprox 1 inch and Im planning on cutting another inch before the challenge starts. Right now Im at BSL hopefully at the end of the year I can be at mid back.

Hellebore
May 11th, 2019, 07:03 AM
I'm in! I caved and trimmed in April because I was hating the horrible chunky layers in front of my face. Stylist fixed them and now I'm good to leave it alone until at least December. May even go a full year.

lapushka
May 11th, 2019, 07:29 AM
Hi! I want to join the challenge.

I was in the 2019 first half and whole years challenges but I failed, I had a v shape which I hate and I wanted a more even hemline, so I cut the tip, aprox 1 inch and Im planning on cutting another inch before the challenge starts. Right now Im at BSL hopefully at the end of the year I can be at mid back.

I'm in! I caved and trimmed in April because I was hating the horrible chunky layers in front of my face. Stylist fixed them and now I'm good to leave it alone until at least December. May even go a full year.

Welcome to you both.

I think myself I failed the 2019 whole year, as I trimmed in March or thereabouts. From FTL+ back to classic.

I am going to leave my hair alone until next January. I keep repeating myself, but I mean it, I promise. :p

Luna Starsetta
May 11th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Lapushka you and I are on the same track no real cuts till the new year. S/D a but just to keep things together but if I can I won't even s/d.

lapushka
May 11th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Lapushka you and I are on the same track no real cuts till the new year. S/D a but just to keep things together but if I can I won't even s/d.

Oooh that's great! :)

I don't think I am going to S&D - I never do anyway. I never see a split, and I just "glance" over the ends (last 5/6 inches).

deeisme
May 12th, 2019, 03:39 AM
I'll join. I'm in the no trim first half and will assess my ends right before this one starts. Lapushka, these challenges have been wonderful incentives. Thank you for doing them.

lapushka
May 12th, 2019, 04:38 AM
I'll join. I'm in the no trim first half and will assess my ends right before this one starts. Lapushka, these challenges have been wonderful incentives. Thank you for doing them.

You're welcome & welcome to the challenge! :D

Aerya
May 12th, 2019, 06:22 AM
I'm in! I will do a little trim in June just to even up my hemline a bit, but after that I'm set on not trimming for the rest of the year. I'm aiming for BSL by my birthday in September and mid back AKA longer than I've had as an adult by the end of the year, so I need all the growth I can get. I was a little on the fence about trimming more often but at this length, just the tiny trim I did last was enough to make my disc buns difficult, so I'll just deal with gross ends for a couple of months. The gained length will be worth it I'm sure!

hannabiss
May 12th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Woohoo getting closer! My hairs gone from the bottoms of my ears to almost the bottom of my neck! Im so happy Ive stuck to my guns. I almost considered trimming in April. But I resisted! Im hoping to be close to APL by December 31!

LadyCelestina
May 15th, 2019, 01:59 AM
Bumping this up :)

July 4th will be 4 months since my last trim, and I'm thinking of not trimming for as long as I can handle it, just to see how far I can get.

I've posted my story in another thread (from trimmer to no-trimmer). In the past, I've usually backed out of these challenges, but to be fair I had some damage which became an issue the longer my hair grew. I "secretly" joined a 6mo challenge (didn't post in the thread but held it for myself) and I actually managed to do it.

The good thing about my hair now is that I can't reason my trimming impulses by cutting off damage from my hair, or anything else really :lol:

GrowinIt
May 17th, 2019, 12:07 PM
I want to join this challenge! I hope I can complete it and not get any trimming urges. I want to see some growth and would like to just leave my hair alone for a while.

vpatt
May 25th, 2019, 07:07 PM
I'm joining this for the second half of the year. I want to know for certain how much my hair grows by the New Year.

Hasse
May 26th, 2019, 12:58 AM
I'm joining this thread too! This year I didn't get too scissor happy in terms of frequency, but I did cut off a good 3 inches of dye damage. I'm going to trim at the beginning of July and then watch my hair creep towards APL for the first time in ever! Always cut my hair off when it got longer than SL+.

Rubignious
May 26th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Joining in with the challenge! Have only micro-trimmed once or twice since July 2016, but will happily give it up altogether for the rest of the year :)

lapushka
May 26th, 2019, 10:01 AM
Joining in with the challenge! Have only micro-trimmed once or twice since July 2016, but will happily give it up altogether for the rest of the year :)

Welcome to the challenge! :)

Ju
May 27th, 2019, 02:59 AM
Failed at first half because I trimmed my hair a few days ago (it was so jagged from the last time i cut it last year and I couldn't bear it any longer). But it was the first time in forever that I went for like 5 months without using scissors on it so that was a big plus. Joining for second half because I think I can do it!

rubygloom
May 27th, 2019, 03:50 AM
Failed at first half because I trimmed my hair a few days ago (it was so jagged from the last time i cut it last year and I couldn't bear it any longer). But it was the first time in forever that I went for like 5 months without using scissors on it so that was a big plus. Joining for second half because I think I can do it!

you can do it! :)

lapushka
May 27th, 2019, 03:20 PM

Maybe next time before you cut it come here to talk about what you are about to do, if you want to be talked out of it.

But I cut the first half as well (March), so I'm a fine one to talk. ;)

You can do it the second half, for sure. If you can go 5 months, you can go 6! Well, 7 technically. ;)

tekla
May 28th, 2019, 08:45 AM
I had a trim about a month ago but I can already see and feel that there's some damage (white spots and split ends) in some parts. For some reason, a strand of hair on the right side of my head damages very easily. I was going let my hair grow for the rest of the year but I might have to to something about that damaged strand...

Simpscone
May 28th, 2019, 09:02 AM

Welcome! If you can do 5 months I'm sure you can stretch that a little longer! Will you be trimming before the challenge starts or are you going from where you are at now?

I haven't trimmed since February and I'm not sure I want to do it again before the challenge starts... but then that's almost an entire year with no trims! :thud:

lapushka
May 28th, 2019, 10:44 AM
Welcome! If you can do 5 months I'm sure you can stretch that a little longer! Will you be trimming before the challenge starts or are you going from where you are at now?

I haven't trimmed since February and I'm not sure I want to do it again before the challenge starts... but then that's almost an entire year with no trims! :thud:

That wouldn't be that bad. ;) I trimmed in March, and I'm doing the second half, for sure, but will be cutting back to classic next January.

TreesOfEternity
May 28th, 2019, 10:54 AM
Hi everyone! I’m going to need a trim in June so I’m leaving the whole year challenge and doing the two halves instead :)

Joules
May 29th, 2019, 05:24 AM
I'm joining! I think I may also join the no-trimming 2019 because I don't plan to trim in July. I wanna go a full year without trims and see where it takes me. My ends are tapered and uneven, but still healthy and well taken care of (there's no velcro effect, no tangling, nada), so I'm sure I can "afford" not trimming for so long.

joweh
May 29th, 2019, 10:22 AM
Just trimmed today so I'm in time to join!

lapushka
May 30th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Just trimmed today so I'm in time to join!

You've got plenty of time. Latest trimming date is July 1st. :D
Welcome! :D

Ylva
May 30th, 2019, 04:09 PM
You've got plenty of time. Latest trimming date is July 1st. :D
Welcome! :D

Or July 5th? I don't know, these dates are confusing, but quoting the starting post. :)

If you are wanting to trim; please do so from:
July 1st through to and including July 5th.

lapushka
May 30th, 2019, 04:45 PM
Or July 5th? I don't know, these dates are confusing, but quoting the starting post. :)

Oh, yes, Ylva, you're right, until the 5th, because I added this on. I really should start putting these dates in the body of the message.

Reminder for next posts!!!

Sorry you guys, my bad. Ylva is totally right!

Stardreamer
May 31st, 2019, 12:31 AM
I have had 1 month of no trims now. I won't trim before this challenge starts, so I won't be trimming for the rest of the year!

EliseMarie
May 31st, 2019, 08:28 AM
I am joining. Last trim was 3/3/19. Not planning trimming before the challenge. Long term goal is to trim January 1st and sign up for the 1 year no trim, and hopefully just keep up that routine. :o

Wusel
May 31st, 2019, 08:40 AM
SURE! Here I am! NEVER EVER would I trim my hair again.

MAY THE HAIRGROWTH BE WITH YOU!

lapushka
May 31st, 2019, 08:43 AM
LOL! :lol:

browntatis
June 1st, 2019, 10:15 AM
OMG I literally thought today was the first day of the challenge, so I got up this morning, washed my hair and trimmed it to take my photo, oh well. LOL

lapushka
June 1st, 2019, 10:30 AM
A liiitle too soon. First half needs to be over, so 6 full months, that's until June 30.

Then July, August, September, October, November, December - another 6 months. ;)

Stardreamer
June 3rd, 2019, 02:20 AM
SURE! Here I am! NEVER EVER would I trim my hair again.

MAY THE HAIRGROWTH BE WITH YOU!

I am a hair Jedi :luke:

lapushka
June 3rd, 2019, 05:23 AM
I just trimmed off the stragglers (but a trim is a trim) this morning. Maybe about half a cm's breadth of ends. And about 1 inch off. I figured since I trimmed March and I was inching closer to FTL again, thought I might. I just did Feye's (blunt in back) not the layered cut.

I'm still in for the 2nd half. I think I may have to trim twice a year. We'll see.

luluj
June 3rd, 2019, 07:13 AM
I just trimmed off the stragglers (but a trim is a trim) this morning. Maybe about half a cm's breadth of ends. And about 1 inch off. I figured since I trimmed March and I was inching closer to FTL again, thought I might. I just did Feye's (blunt in back) not the layered cut.

I'm still in for the 2nd half. I think I may have to trim twice a year. We'll see.

Is a blunt cut "new" for you, lapushka? Your layers are SO pretty by the way.

Simpscone
June 4th, 2019, 08:12 AM
That wouldn't be that bad. ;) I trimmed in March, and I'm doing the second half, for sure, but will be cutting back to classic next January.

I've never gone longer than 5/6 months without a trim, so going for almost a year is intimidating! But my ends look fine to me and I'm not planning on doing anything damaging for the rest of the month so hopefully it will all be okay...

There's every chance I won't make it to the end of the year, as my ends are bleached, but I'm certainly going to join you all and do my best!

Stray_mind
June 4th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Going to get a small trim next week, to prepare for this challenge. :)

SnowDancer
June 6th, 2019, 11:11 AM
I'm in!
I cut 6 inches of damage off back in January.
It was definitely needed. The hairs didn't even curl anymore (dye damage) and it looked a bit ridiculous to have curly hair with straight bits at the ends.

Anyway, I don't plan on trimming at all but I'll do this challenge and reassess my ends in January.

lapushka
June 6th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Is a blunt cut "new" for you, lapushka? Your layers are SO pretty by the way.

I used to cut it blunt only, up to waist, where it got to be too much and I had to cut in layers at that point to be able to grow on. But since this is just the very "tips" of the hair, I'm sure it won't matter that much. It's not exactly blunt now. Just a little bit off the longest layer.

I've never gone longer than 5/6 months without a trim, so going for almost a year is intimidating! But my ends look fine to me and I'm not planning on doing anything damaging for the rest of the month so hopefully it will all be okay...

There's every chance I won't make it to the end of the year, as my ends are bleached, but I'm certainly going to join you all and do my best!

That's fine. Go as far as you can go. This challenge is "only" a guideline, not a "must", and so when there is a chance it could potentially ruin your hair, you have to draw the line!

But I wish you well and hope you get far!

LittleHealthy
June 6th, 2019, 01:44 PM
Here I am, migrating from the full year of no trims, to the second half. I trimmed yesterday, just a smidge from an uneven hemline to even it up. It’s the only time I ever seem to find myself wanting to trim! I s&d so ends always look ok enough. Hopefully I can go at least another 6-8 months before needing to even it up again!

lapushka
June 17th, 2019, 06:58 AM
Guys, my hair grows like *mad* these past few months. I cut another half inch, and now I reach full classic again. I cut on wet (damp) hair this time. I can't have it grow longer, it's just a thing with me.

Just used Feye's method.

I think I will compact cut (ponytail on forehead) every January of each year. And then I will "maintain" throughout the 1st half of the challenge (w/ Feye's); then I will leave my mitts off the 2nd half so I can again compact cut in January. I think that is the best option for me.

I don't want longer than classic; and I don't want to keep maintaining it all the time either. I still want to participate in at least one of the challenges! As it stands now!

queencarrion
June 17th, 2019, 07:23 AM
I'm joining this :)
Just did my annual blunt trim last week to defray the hemline, followed by a nice S&D in the sunlight. My hair is somewhere between classic and tailbone length now, post-trim...

pisinoe
June 17th, 2019, 07:42 AM
Joining! Just trimmed my upper layer again (where there is/was still a bit of chemically straightened ends left) and want to let my hair grow now at full potential for the next 6 months. It would be really nice to reach MBL for 2019 and then waist length and more for 2020!

Simpscone
June 17th, 2019, 07:58 AM
Not long until the challenge starts guys! I'm excited to see how much length I gain by Christmas, and nervous of being able to stick it out that long!

dancedance
June 17th, 2019, 08:14 AM
I'm going to join in too. I went without trimming the first half of 2019 as well, so I think I will get a small trim on July 1. I still have a little bit of bleach to cut off, so I want to keep doing 6 month trims until it's gone.

Decoy24601
June 17th, 2019, 04:36 PM
I'll be joining this as well. I've been extremely bad at these challenges in the past and have always given in and trimmed, but I've been regularly going 6+ months without trimming and I just trimmed a few weeks ago, so I can probably make it this time.

My hair has also been growing like a weed the past few months. I've cut back from knee multiple times and am now at knee again, but I'm kind of curious what my terminal length is, so for now I want to keep growing it. My ends are in fairly good shape and my layers/thinned ends are mostly gone now.

NicoleJean
June 18th, 2019, 01:09 PM
I haven’t trimmed since August 2018 and no plans to in the near future.

CopperButterfly
June 18th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Guys, my hair grows like *mad* these past few months. I cut another half inch, and now I reach full classic again. I cut on wet (damp) hair this time. I can't have it grow longer, it's just a thing with me.

Just used Feye's method.

I think I will compact cut (ponytail on forehead) every January of each year. And then I will "maintain" throughout the 1st half of the challenge (w/ Feye's); then I will leave my mitts off the 2nd half so I can again compact cut in January. I think that is the best option for me.

I don't want longer than classic; and I don't want to keep maintaining it all the time either. I still want to participate in at least one of the challenges! As it stands now!

How do you feel about lengths shorter than classic? Maybe if you cut it a few inches shorter than classic you can let it go longer between trims without it getting too long for you, and feel less like you're constantly maintaining.

lapushka
June 18th, 2019, 02:03 PM
How do you feel about lengths shorter than classic? Maybe if you cut it a few inches shorter than classic you can let it go longer between trims without it getting too long for you, and feel less like you're constantly maintaining.

No, shorter than classic makes bunning a chore with my iii thickness, so I will keep it at classic, very happily so. But I need to go through the 2nd half without trimming so I can do my compact cut next January, after all I want to be able to cut some length off.

I know what you mean, but it's just not great for me (bunning).

CopperButterfly
June 18th, 2019, 02:48 PM
No, shorter than classic makes bunning a chore with my iii thickness, so I will keep it at classic, very happily so. But I need to go through the 2nd half without trimming so I can do my compact cut next January, after all I want to be able to cut some length off.

I know what you mean, but it's just not great for me (bunning).

That makes sense. I was just curious. It sounds like classic is just the perfect length for you. Too bad you can't just pause hair growth.

lapushka
June 18th, 2019, 02:55 PM
That makes sense. I was just curious. It sounds like classic is just the perfect length for you. Too bad you can't just pause hair growth.

LOL! Yes! I know. It's OK to ask me anything. :o Classic is a lovely length on me (if I do say so myself LOL), it's nice, it looks OK, it's comfortable and manageable. What more could I ask for?

CalystaStarr
June 18th, 2019, 05:39 PM
Since my hair is in its best condition after joining LHC, I think now is the perfect time to stop trimming until next year. I hope I can last until then.

Stray_mind
June 20th, 2019, 03:32 AM
Getting a trim today and will try to bear trough this challenge hahaha.

luluj
June 20th, 2019, 07:48 AM
Getting a trim today and will try to bear trough this challenge hahaha.

Good luck with your trim, Stray_mind. You will make it through this challenge. Having nice, fresh ends is a great way to start!

Simpscone
June 20th, 2019, 07:53 AM
I've been considering trimming before the challenge, my ends seem fine but I've never gone longer than 5 months without a trim and I'm coming up to 5 months at the beginning of July... I'm nervous that I won't make it 11 months!

luluj
June 20th, 2019, 08:05 AM
I've been considering trimming before the challenge, my ends seem fine but I've never gone longer than 5 months without a trim and I'm coming up to 5 months at the beginning of July... I'm nervous that I won't make it 11 months!

Our story is so similar, Simpscone. I last trimmed in early February so I am coming up on 5 months in mid-July. This challenge is preventing me from trimming, though, and this is a good thing, otherwise I may never reach APL. I was a chronic trimmer.:lol:

Now I want length bad enough to tough it out. I like a challenge, thankfully.:p Don't be nervous, you will make it!:blossom:

Simpscone
June 20th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Our story is so similar, Simpscone. I last trimmed in early February so I am coming up on 5 months in mid-July. This challenge is preventing me from trimming, though, and this is a good thing, otherwise I may never reach APL. I was a chronic trimmer.:lol:

Now I want length bad enough to tough it out. I like a challenge, thankfully.:p Don't be nervous, you will make it!:blossom:

Mine was the 18th of Feb, as I've put in my signature to remind me :lol:

I'm nervous that my bleached ends will turn into a mess if I leave them this long... But I'm probably just struggling from breaking the habit of a lifetime. We can do this together!

Aerya
June 20th, 2019, 11:24 AM

I'm nervous that my bleached ends will turn into a mess if I leave them this long... But I'm probably just struggling from breaking the habit of a lifetime. We can do this together!

I feel the same way about my bleached ends. But in a way having already ruined hair can be a good thing, in that it sort of acts like a buffer between our healthy hair! And we can use it as "test hair." Like if I figure out a way of wearing my hair is actually damaging, at least the already ruined hair will take the fall for it!

I really dislike how crunchy the ends get after a while though, but for me, even shortly after a trim they will be split again. The damaged hair is ruined and needs to be all cut off, so I might as well trim it away at a longer length that I enjoy more! :D

lapushka
June 20th, 2019, 11:52 AM

I think your hair looks just fine, but you have to be the judge, you're more on top of your hair than we are. I can only look at it from a distance (and it looks great to me).

pisinoe
June 20th, 2019, 12:28 PM
43cm measured on 19.06. Hopefully I’m over 50cm in december!

lapushka
June 20th, 2019, 02:29 PM
43cm measured on 19.06. Hopefully I’m over 50cm in december!

That should well be do-able in 6 months' time! Hair grows a little over a cm a month, so you should make that goal *just about*!

pisinoe
June 20th, 2019, 03:44 PM
That should well be do-able in 6 months' time! Hair grows a little over a cm a month, so you should make that goal *just about*!

Mine usually grows a bit faster than that (or used to, 3cm), but I’m trying to have lower expectations this time so I don’t stress myself too much over my lack of patience. Most important is retaining the length from now on.

luluj
June 20th, 2019, 04:31 PM

Wow, we are really close, my trim was February 11th. Funny how we can remember our hair details right down to the minute, but other life events like "where are my car keys?" not so much. Whose hair obsessed? :lol:

Yes, we can do this! :hifive:

lapushka
June 20th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Mine usually grows a bit faster than that (or used to, 3cm), but I’m trying to have lower expectations this time so I don’t stress myself too much over my lack of patience. Most important is retaining the length from now on.

That is amazing growth! :) Even unusual, as it is even more than an inch a month (and that's a lot).

pisinoe
June 20th, 2019, 05:34 PM
That is amazing growth! :) Even unusual, as it is even more than an inch a month (and that's a lot).

I always thought it was normal, and even ‘slow’ for my impatient (and easily stressed) self. D: Felt like it took ages to grow since August last year, but if I hadn’t cut it so often to get rid of damaged and straight ends I think I’d be already down BSL from NL in 8 months. Now I need patience not to cut it anymore and let it grow, plus slowly grow out the layers too...

Stray_mind
June 20th, 2019, 10:39 PM
Well i got my microtrim of less than half an inch and now i am ready. 9 days left huh... :)

tisa
June 20th, 2019, 10:55 PM
I'm joining this thread. My last trim was earlier this month and I plan on growing for the rest of 2019. Hopefully I don't get tempted to trim.

Stardreamer
June 21st, 2019, 03:13 AM
It's been 2 months since my last cut now :scissors:

NV
June 21st, 2019, 03:41 AM
My last haircut was in December, a little before the new year. I'm thinking about getting a trim somewhere next week because my ends are a little rough-feeling and dry, and my hemline doesn't look super neat anymore. I'll probably join this challenge afterwards though because I've stretched my trims almost 6 months now and I want to do that again :)

Altáriel DelMar
June 24th, 2019, 07:59 AM
Hi there! I’d like to join this challenge. I haven’t had a trim since early 2019 (or late 2018) and I’m not planning on getting one since my hair feels and looks healthy. Because I can’t really remember when I trimmed my hair, I decided to join this challenge rather than the full year one. Good luck to everyone!

Luna Starsetta
June 24th, 2019, 08:55 PM
My last trim reluctantly was April 30th (having to convince myself that I had to due to dyed ends.... Even though its a loss in length 2.5 inches about secretly hoping that when I measure on the 1st of July I'll be just about back where I was!) almost hitting the 2 month marker... Onward we go :run:

Waveychick
June 24th, 2019, 11:27 PM
Count me in. Just trimmed off the last necessary trim for this year not too long ago. Excited to see where we all end up in December yay

Hasse
June 25th, 2019, 05:26 AM
I'm super excited too! I might or might not make it to APL. But first.. Six months of no cutting. *sigh*

Simpscone
June 25th, 2019, 05:36 AM
This might seem like an obvious question, but I'm new to not trimming and this just occurred to me. Do you only "need" to trim if you have split ends? I'm realising that my hair is not prone to splitting, but does this mean it won't need a trim until I see a lot of splits? How do you guys judge it?

dancedance
June 25th, 2019, 08:13 AM
This might seem like an obvious question, but I'm new to not trimming and this just occurred to me. Do you only "need" to trim if you have split ends? I'm realising that my hair is not prone to splitting, but does this mean it won't need a trim until I see a lot of splits? How do you guys judge it?

Yes, the purpose of trims is just to remove split ends. I judge when I need a trim based on when the ends are getting harder to detangle. There comes a point where they are too annoying to deal with and that's how I know I need a trim. My hair is not prone to splits either, so I don't need trims very often, especially now that my bleach is almost gone, but I still get them every 6 months to make progress towards all virgin hair.

MarPreciosa
June 25th, 2019, 08:50 AM
Still going strong from the last no trim challenge! Guess I cheated though because every few months I've dusted to prevent thinning and splits. Definitely considering trying to make it trim free as long as possible - maybe even joining you all!

CrazyPlantLady
June 25th, 2019, 08:52 AM

I only trim when I have too many split ends to S&D or to even up my hemline.

TreesOfEternity
June 25th, 2019, 09:07 AM

I don’t trim because of splits but because of thin and rough ends.

Simpscone
June 25th, 2019, 09:15 AM
I don’t trim because of splits but because of thin and rough ends.

This is how I think my hair goes if I leave it long enough. I never notice splits, but after a few months my ends start feeling a bit thinner and drier. If I only trimmed when I got a lot of splits I think I can do this challenge with ease. I just start worrying about my ends when they aren't super fresh!

CosmoCat
June 25th, 2019, 12:58 PM
I’m going to try very hard to make it! (I broke down a few weeks ago and took a few inches off of my bangs and sides...in a very ridiculous way. I blunt cut the sides to my shoulders and left the back to almost BSL. It’s a good thing that I have waves and it kind of blends in, because it looks really horrible when straight!)

Edit: My sides were always shorter, I just made the difference greater. My hemline is kind of a wide ‘u’...

CosmoCat
June 25th, 2019, 01:00 PM
This is how I think my hair goes if I leave it long enough. I never notice splits, but after a few months my ends start feeling a bit thinner and drier. If I only trimmed when I got a lot of splits I think I can do this challenge with ease. I just start worrying about my ends when they aren't super fresh!

That sounds just like me: it’s hard to find splits, dry or frizzy ends bother me and I love fresh ends!!!

lapushka
June 25th, 2019, 02:22 PM

If you have the odd split and say it's not half your head, then S&D is just fine & enough.

But if it's like half the hair, then maybe a trim is better.

It takes *a lot*, though for half your hair to split!!! Unless you have mad damage still in the hair.

You'll just have to gauge it. And ask us again if you get to that point!

Luna Starsetta
June 25th, 2019, 04:21 PM
What laspuska said is very accurate I only tend to trim when I have way too many splits. I am still nursing dry color damaged ends. So I am trying to get to all virgin hair....still gonna be a while though as I am only really doing a dusting when it is absolutely unavoidable. Due to the fact that I love my length! :)

TreesOfEternity
June 25th, 2019, 04:30 PM

Me too haha. I go from 6 month to a whole year without trims now, it’s a matter of thinking ends will always be different from the top part of the hair but taking good care of them, keeping them moisturized, oiled and protected in styles has made wonders for mine, they feel quite good.

SwanFeathers
June 26th, 2019, 12:43 PM
Can I join of I failed the full year challenge?

ladyshep
June 26th, 2019, 02:43 PM
Count me in! I just cut 3 1/2 inches last month. Measuring at 17 1/2 inches right from the front. Here is to no trims second half! :) I'm using hair jazz and seems to be growing my hair quick, so I'm hoping at least measuring 23 inches long by Christmas! Getting serious now. (What I've been saying the last 3 years now haha) (NO more bleach jobs that require trims... I only use manic panic now days) Probably will put my hair up a lot with a scrunchie. Good luck ladies and gents!

Ylva
June 26th, 2019, 03:26 PM

Of course. :)

lapushka
June 26th, 2019, 03:50 PM

Yep, sure. I did. I trimmed March, and again twice June this year. So failed the full year. The half ones are here for those of us who cannot do a full year, due to a number of reasons. So yes, join! :D

SwanFeathers
June 26th, 2019, 04:44 PM
Of course. :)

Yep, sure. I did. I trimmed March, and again twice June this year. So failed the full year. The half ones are here for those of us who cannot do a full year, due to a number of reasons. So yes, join! :D

In that case I'm in :) had to trim from hip to waist because of splits, hopefully I will get a handle on them now.

S&S
June 30th, 2019, 04:07 PM
I'm in!

Like some of the previous posters ~ I don't want to compromise health for short term length, so i'll see how my hair is doing along the way :) - I did a pretty big chop May 13th.

Hasse
June 30th, 2019, 09:32 PM
Now the starting point of this challenge is around the corner (I'm counting from July 5th), I find myself getting the urge to just snip a tiiiiny bit here and there to perfect my hair... Which is pointless as I did this two weeks ago and my hair is wavy anyway. Sigh. This is gonna be a tough couple of months!

When I'm benign neglecting it is easier to lay down the scissors, now it's sooo hard to go back to neglecting it more than I do now! I'm washing more often too, just when I reached the once a week point.

browntatis
June 30th, 2019, 11:26 PM
Yey! Its time!
I trimmed yesterday to start the challenge fresh, I also cut my "bangs" from Chin to Nose length lol.
Im excited about where this 6 months will take me, Im 3 inches away from BSL, so I hope I can reach BSL by the end of the challenge.
This is my starting picture I took yesterday after my trim.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37487&d=1561958721

The-Young-Maid
June 30th, 2019, 11:27 PM
I'm joining (also in the yearly challenge)

But I'm adding another rule for myself, no S&D! It makes me think about my ends too much. I'd rather grow out to where I want to maintain then microtrim them away.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
June 30th, 2019, 11:34 PM
Welcome to all newly joining. Good luck and enjoy the challenge.

pixitolong
July 1st, 2019, 12:21 AM
I'm in. Currently on 3-4 inches. I wonder what I will be in 6 months..happy growing everyone.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
July 1st, 2019, 01:38 AM
Welcome pixitolong. Good luck and enjoy the challenge.

pisinoe
July 1st, 2019, 01:40 AM
Happy growing everyone! Lots of resistance and patience for us doing this.

Joules
July 1st, 2019, 02:37 AM
Let's get this challenge started! Good luck everyone!

My ends are the healthiest they've ever been, so I'm not trimming this time. If all goes as planned by the end of this challenge I should have hair longer than my original dream length ("mid butt" or just below the tailbone). Or I might hit terminal somewhere in the process. Either way it's all gonna be new for me.

My starting length is 59cm or 23.2" measured from the earlobe down, which is my favorite method of tracking growth. My hair normally grows steadily without stalls, so it should measure 68cm/26.78" on January 1st.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 1st, 2019, 02:52 AM
Here's my starting pic. I'm only about five inches from my final goal of ankle, so am pretty excited, and looking forward to maintaining there to thicken up my ends :D

https://i.imgur.com/R5N51Ar.jpg?1

LongHairM
July 1st, 2019, 03:38 AM
I have trimmed and I'm ready to go!

Starting length: 23.5 inches or 60cm
Expected length: 26 inches or 66cm and very close to the end of my bra strap when stretched.

I reaaaaly hope I can do this challenge, because my hair will stop being short at the end of it if I do (in my opinion) and I'm excited for that.
Good luck to all of us! :flower:

Simpscone
July 1st, 2019, 04:07 AM
Good luck everyone and happy growing!

My start length is 22.5", measured a few days ago :)

Excited to see where I end up with this challenge!

Ylva
July 1st, 2019, 05:48 AM
Good luck everyone and have fun! :)

Hasse
July 1st, 2019, 06:46 AM
Now the starting point of this challenge is around the corner (I'm counting from July 5th), I find myself getting the urge to just snip a tiiiiny bit here and there to perfect my hair... Which is pointless as I did this two weeks ago and my hair is wavy anyway. Sigh. This is gonna be a tough couple of months!

When I'm benign neglecting it is easier to lay down the scissors, now it's sooo hard to go back to neglecting it more than I do now! I'm washing more often too, just when I reached the once a week point.
Forgot to add my starting pic! :D I don't measure, it's too much of a hassle. Going by landmark moles instead is much more fun :P.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37490&d=1561978221

pisinoe
July 1st, 2019, 07:07 AM
My starting pic. Hopefully I’ll go down to the bottom of BSL by the end of the challenge. Not far from waist would be my dream.

https://i.imgur.com/4xgDR0W_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

lapushka
July 1st, 2019, 07:40 AM
Welcome to all, and thank you for joining.

I'm out of this one too, as I'm "maintaining" my hair currently. Feels much nicer to keep it nice and classic length and I don't regret it one bit. Classic is my goal length and I am no longer growing on to knee!

TatsuOni
July 1st, 2019, 10:06 AM
I've trimmed and taken a picture, but I'm waiting for my SO to come home and measure my new length...

S&S
July 1st, 2019, 03:24 PM
Forgot to add my starting pic! :D I don't measure, it's too much of a hassle. Going by landmark moles instead is much more fun :P.

Landmark moles :rolling: clever!

I don't know how everyone measures... Do I take a soft measuring tape and toss it from my hairline back?

lapushka
July 1st, 2019, 04:59 PM
Landmark moles :rolling: clever!

I don't know how everyone measures... Do I take a soft measuring tape and toss it from my hairline back?

Yep from the front hairline (forehead), back over your head and down the length. That's it! :)

S&S
July 1st, 2019, 05:24 PM
Cool, thank you lapushka ! I'll try to do it tonight and report back.

Beckstar
July 1st, 2019, 06:52 PM
I'm dropping out of the thread. I got a buzz cut on Saturday and I love it. I think I'll keep it for a while. Good luck all.

Lexzelia
July 2nd, 2019, 02:03 AM
Checking in and ready to go! I have collar bone length hair right now, I'm hoping to be most of the way to APL by new year's eve. Hopefully I can get a starting pic and measurement by this afternoon.

S&S
July 2nd, 2019, 02:26 AM
I think I measured correctly... I’m currently at 26” :pinktongue:

Green leaves
July 2nd, 2019, 04:12 AM
I'm in. TBL here I come. Bit now that I've said I won't I suddenly want to. Think I'll go put the scissors somewhere I won't find them.

TatsuOni
July 2nd, 2019, 05:57 AM
I trimmed 2,5 cm yesterday and am now good to go :)

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/7_5d1b45af2a6b229821bed44b.jpg

Stray_mind
July 2nd, 2019, 07:09 AM
Well... Here we go again. :)
Got my trim on june 20th and here is my starting pic.
https://i.imgur.com/50NfeVa.jpg

Probably not going to reach BSL by the end of this challenge, but at least i hope i will be close.

Vacurlylady
July 2nd, 2019, 08:27 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/htZWkz1S/8-CED320-B-2615-4849-8-BF4-63-E8-B3-D5-DDAA.jpg (https://postimg.cc/nXmP7LW5)

Here I am today to start the second half of the year no trimming! Can’t wait to see where we all end up at the end of the year! Happy growing everyone!

S&S
July 2nd, 2019, 02:59 PM
I trimmed 2,5 cm yesterday and am now good to go :)

That hair! Those ends! :crush:

MusicalSpoons
July 2nd, 2019, 03:28 PM
16 pages already, wow - I'll have to go back and read them sometime. I had intended to trim between halves this year but I'm no longer certain. If I don't trim by Friday I'll join here by default, but if I find myself really wanting to trim later in the year I'll give myself a couple of weeks to make sure and then go for it. Right now I don't see that happening :lol: but if for some reason it does I'm not going to agonise over it if I haven't trimmed yet this year.

Edit: just on p.16 alone, what beautiful heads of hair!! :thud: awesome start to the challenge ladies!

Genne
July 2nd, 2019, 05:24 PM
I'm dropping out of the thread. I got a buzz cut on Saturday and I love it. I think I'll keep it for a while. Good luck all.

Enjoy your change and thank you for the update! :)
Have a great time with it, how fun.
Jen
p.s. it has been a very long time since I did that and totally "get" it

TreesOfEternity
July 2nd, 2019, 10:52 PM
I trimmed one inch to start this challenge. I’ve been in a stall since May and shedding buckets so I’m feeling quite down but anyway, let’s do this.

This is my starting point, picture is cropped at TBL, hands at HL.

https://i.imgur.com/9RmpwZHl.jpg

gin
July 2nd, 2019, 11:26 PM
I'll join on this! I just had my hair trimmed an inch, it's just reaching waist now.

deeisme
July 2nd, 2019, 11:48 PM
I decided not to trim between challenges and see what a full year brings. My last trim was December 3rd. Last year I trimmed away most of my growth, which makes me sad but the ends needed it. This year, better hair care, healthier hair, no trims and see what length that brings. Wishing everyone happy growing.
Onward and downward.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37522&d=1562131346

cestlavie
July 3rd, 2019, 03:40 AM
I'm going to join this thread since I finished the first half one! :D I'm just reaching the top of BSL. I hope to get to BSL+ at the end of this year!

Kat-Rinnè Naido
July 3rd, 2019, 06:35 AM
A warm welcome to all newly joining in. Enjoy the experience.

Vacurlylady
July 3rd, 2019, 10:24 AM

Oh my! Congratulations on your new buss cut! I get it. I had my hair as short as a buz. for years. It felt so good. Enjoy it while you have it. It’s so easy! 😃

TatsuOni
July 3rd, 2019, 11:24 AM
That hair! Those ends! :crush:

Thank you! :flower:

EssleyBlue
July 3rd, 2019, 11:38 AM
I just finished "No-trim first half", got a light dusting on 7/2---It's nice to start with fresh ends.
Ready for the second half.
Happy growing!

Liosan
July 3rd, 2019, 11:44 AM
I have been neglecting my hair somewhat the last 3 months because of a new job and gardening projects. So last saturday I went all out in preperation of this challenge! I trimmed my ends 1\2 cm, gave my hair a heavy oiling and followed up with a herbal mask. It felt really good to spent time on my hair again.
Didn’t think to measure. Will do so tonight.
Happy growing!:D

deeisme
July 3rd, 2019, 12:28 PM
I trimmed one inch to start this challenge. I’ve been in a stall since May and shedding buckets so I’m feeling quite down but anyway, let’s do this.

This is my starting point, picture is cropped at TBL, hands at HL.

https://i.imgur.com/9RmpwZHl.jpg

I know that frustration! I had a three month stall April, May and June measurements. I had a similar stall last year as well. Also experienced more shedding than usual. Fingers crossed for you that the stall and shedding is over and you can get back to growing. Your hair looks lovely!

Flagg
July 3rd, 2019, 08:55 PM
I cut my hair back to above shoulder. I'm going to go in to a hairdresser Friday and get it evened out, and enjoy life with a cute little bob kind of hairstyle. Prior stress and having a baby did too much damage, and no matter how many micro trims or wearing it up helped. I'm going to be diligent when it comes to taking my vitamins, eat well and drink plenty of water the rest of the year. Hopefully I can grow it back out long and strong. No cuts after this!

TreesOfEternity
July 3rd, 2019, 11:07 PM
I know that frustration! I had a three month stall April, May and June measurements. I had a similar stall last year as well. Also experienced more shedding than usual. Fingers crossed for you that the stall and shedding is over and you can get back to growing. Your hair looks lovely!

Thanks a lot :flower: it really means a lot to me, I hope I can get over it as well and keep on growing as per usual.

Guitargod
July 4th, 2019, 03:59 PM
Decided to join for the last half of 2019 too, so I did a much needed trim of around 3-4 cm. Could have taken more but I want to end up with longer hair than I started with before the trim... I guess it must have been pretty damn close to FTL so getting there by Yule seems realistic with length to spare for a small trim in January.
By the way grats on FTL Tatsu. Awesome as always:)
Good luck everyone!

https://i.ibb.co/gJj3gSC/IMG-20190704-232833.jpg

lapushka
July 4th, 2019, 04:17 PM
I cut my hair back to above shoulder. I'm going to go in to a hairdresser Friday and get it evened out, and enjoy life with a cute little bob kind of hairstyle. Prior stress and having a baby did too much damage, and no matter how many micro trims or wearing it up helped. I'm going to be diligent when it comes to taking my vitamins, eat well and drink plenty of water the rest of the year. Hopefully I can grow it back out long and strong. No cuts after this!

Have a happy new journey! :)

lapushka
July 4th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Decided to join for the last half of 2019 too, so I did a much needed trim of around 3-4 cm. Could have taken more but I want to end up with longer hair than I started with before the trim... I guess it must have been pretty damn close to FTL so getting there by Yule seems realistic with length to spare for a small trim in January.
Good luck everyone!

https://i.ibb.co/gJj3gSC/IMG-20190704-232833.jpg

Happy growing. Boy you really grew a fair amount!

Jas
July 4th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Oh, I'm in on this challenge! I got a trim about a week ago, just an inch but it looks and feels much better.
Hoping to go another year until I trim again but we'll see! So I'm starting at classic length. I'll post a pic in the next few days of my starting point

Guitargod
July 4th, 2019, 04:43 PM
Happy growing. Boy you really grew a fair amount!

Thanks :) Yeah but so did my goals... I already know that FTL won't be enough for me when I get there...

TatsuOni
July 5th, 2019, 04:08 AM
Good luck everyone!

Thank you! :) Looks like you should be able to reach FTL quite soon :)

ExpectoPatronum
July 5th, 2019, 01:23 PM
Is it too late to join this challenge? I got my hair cut yesterday impulsively. I actually love that my ends are soft again. The best part is that they left most of my length and only cut off the dead ends.

Guitargod
July 5th, 2019, 03:49 PM
The rules were amended to allow trimming until the 5th because some people had a problem finding the time to trim between challenges. There's also an edit in Lapushka's first post in this thread :)

Strwberryfields
July 5th, 2019, 08:53 PM
Is it too late to join? I definitely want in!

Ylva
July 5th, 2019, 10:45 PM
Is it too late to join? I definitely want in!

It's never too late to join as long as you haven't cut your hair since yesterday (the 5th of July).

Jo Ann
July 6th, 2019, 01:00 PM
I'm in! Trimmed back to hip from TBL and don't regret it one bit.

It's weird having "short" hair again :shocked:

lapushka
July 6th, 2019, 04:14 PM
It's never too late to join as long as you haven't cut your hair since yesterday (the 5th of July).

Yep, very much so! :D

illicitlizard
July 7th, 2019, 04:44 PM
Ah I've been away from these forums for a while at this point, somehow made it through the first half of the year trim-free but don't know if I'll make it all the way through the second half as I've missed the trim window.
Will still attempt to leave my hair alone as long as possible and try to make it through the full year! It's really nice to see the length gains and I've noticed nothing bad about my ends indicating a trim is needed.

lithostoic
July 7th, 2019, 05:09 PM
I'm joining :P My last trim was a week or two ago.

rosey4exclaim
July 7th, 2019, 05:50 PM
Okay, I'm in, though I feel like I'm cheating because it's nigh impossible for me to trim it myself at this length. ;)

MusicalSpoons
July 7th, 2019, 05:53 PM
My Mum has an arrangement to see our hairdresser later in the month and I'm tempted to ask for a trim. Only slightly tempted, and I keep running through all the reasons not to go. The other option in my head for having her cut it is to wait until the end of the year, then ask her to cut back to ~knee for a thicker hemline to grow back to calf again. I probably won't do either one because I get very attached to the length (I thought these lengths were impossible before finding LHC!) and don't tend to think a trim or cut is worth the hassle :lol:

:shrug:

ExpectoPatronum
July 7th, 2019, 06:19 PM
Awesome! My last trim was on the 4th of July and I chopped about an inch. My ends feel very soft and healthy now. The last of my bleach damaged hair is finally gone!

Luna Starsetta
July 7th, 2019, 08:56 PM
ExspectoPatronum - congratulations on being fully back to your natural hair. That really is a commitment in and of itself. I'm sure it must feel amazing. What an exciting achievement!

ExpectoPatronum
July 7th, 2019, 09:19 PM
Thanks Luna, it really does feel awesome to have 100% virgin hair again. I haven't had that in years!

vpatt
July 8th, 2019, 05:27 AM
I didn't measure or take a pic. I'm 2-3" from tailbone and I hope to reach it by the end of the year. I trimmed in March. Happy growing everyone!

Orionis
July 9th, 2019, 03:03 PM
Hi, I'm new! I haven't trimmed my hair since February of this year. Can I still join? Also, is S&D the same as dusting or are they different? :confused:

Ylva
July 9th, 2019, 03:08 PM
Hi, I'm new! I haven't trimmed my hair since February of this year. Can I still join? Also, is S&D the same as dusting or are they different? :confused:

You can join as long as you haven't trimmed your hair since July 5th (which you haven't). S&D is not the same as a dusting. A dusting is a very, very tiny trim, while S&D is the act of cutting off individual damaged hair ends.

Orionis
July 9th, 2019, 03:20 PM
Thanks for clarifying Ylva, that's helpful! :D I now need to invest in a good pair of hairdressing scissors to be able to do the S&D, seeing as I've officially started this challenge I guess there's no rush to run out and get them either!

NicoleJean
July 9th, 2019, 03:26 PM
S&D addict here! I'm in the challenge! If My 1" a month hair growth rate continues I might be close to reaching my goal by the end of the year!

Ylva
July 9th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Thanks for clarifying Ylva, that's helpful! :D I now need to invest in a good pair of hairdressing scissors to be able to do the S&D, seeing as I've officially started this challenge I guess there's no rush to run out and get them either!

S&D is allowed in the challenge. :)

pippylonglocks
July 9th, 2019, 06:20 PM
I'm in! Haven't trimmed since May 10th, and I'm not planning on trimming again for a long time :happydance:

Simpscone
July 11th, 2019, 05:09 AM
It's already only a few days in and I have no idea if my bleached ends can make it to the end of the year :lol:

I'm going to grow until at least the end of next month (which will be 6 months without a trim for me) and reassess if it's worth sticking it out or not. 6 months at a time might work better for my damaged ends for a while.

Jas
July 11th, 2019, 05:56 AM
Just to post my starting picture (JUST at classic). I got a very small trim of around 1", I'm hoping my next trim will be next June/July, I think my ends are starting to get thinner in general though :( I'm hoping it's because of bleach damage and it'll get thicker each time I cut it.

https://i.ibb.co/hBLBQF1/June-2019.jpg

browntatis
July 12th, 2019, 07:54 PM
Oh no! I almost, almost cut my hair!
I came back last night from work very tired and frustrated with my hair... I recently bleached my hair, I went from jet black to medium brown and my ends got damaged, when I wash my hair they feel almost like gum (not to that point but almost) and when its dry they feel crunchy!
Im using different mask and deep conditioners that are really helping me, but last night it crossed my mind to cut it to shoulder length and get a bob, because my hair feels nice and healthy up to my shoulders, the rest has damage... oh no! I almost did it!
This morning when I was washing my hair I was glad I didn't do it.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
July 12th, 2019, 10:28 PM
Welcome to all newly joining the challenge.

Keeping busy and distracting my thoughts from hair has helped me in the no trimming challenges.
Good luck everyone.

Six Seeds
July 12th, 2019, 10:33 PM
Hi everyone!

My last trim was in June and I'm hoping to maintain that well enough with S&D that I won't have to trim again. We'll see if I can get through the last half of 2019 :)

Hasse
July 13th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Oh no! I almost, almost cut my hair!
I came back last night from work very tired and frustrated with my hair... I recently bleached my hair, I went from jet black to medium brown and my ends got damaged, when I wash my hair they feel almost like gum (not to that point but almost) and when its dry they feel crunchy!
Have you tried doing a protein treatment? Gummy hair sounds like it lacks protein if I'm not mistaken.

MusicalSpoons
July 13th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Beautiful, Jas! :crush: I can't remember, have you joined the 'classic to knee thread' yet?

browntatis
July 14th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Have you tried doing a protein treatment? Gummy hair sounds like it lacks protein if I'm not mistaken.

Yes I have, I recently learned that too much protein may have the opposite effect, So I think I may have a protein overload (on top of the damage) because thats what I have been using lately.

What is weird is that I dont have any split ends at all or white dots, my ends are just very dry! Im sure its it's due to the bleach, so I have been doing my best to recover them considering that I dont have spit ends, so now when I do a protein treatment I try to follow it by a very moisturizing mask, thanks to this forum that has teached me so many thinks... Thank you.
I just hope to endure and finish the challenge.

queencarrion
July 15th, 2019, 11:03 AM
I joined this challenge a few weeks ago, but wanted to just post my starting length picture :) Finally got my partner to take one for me over the weekend. Happy growing, everyone.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37696&d=1563210067

lapushka
July 15th, 2019, 02:29 PM
browntatis, nice save there!

Just to post my starting picture (JUST at classic). I got a very small trim of around 1", I'm hoping my next trim will be next June/July, I think my ends are starting to get thinner in general though :( I'm hoping it's because of bleach damage and it'll get thicker each time I cut it.

https://i.ibb.co/hBLBQF1/June-2019.jpg

That's amazing! Congrats, BTW! :)

I joined this challenge a few weeks ago, but wanted to just post my starting length picture :) Finally got my partner to take one for me over the weekend. Happy growing, everyone.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37696&d=1563210067

Gorgeous, that's classic as well, I think? Yes, stretched it is!!!

queencarrion
July 16th, 2019, 01:55 PM
thanks so much, lapushka! Yes, I think I'm at classic at the moment, if I could ever get the strands to stop being so wild :P

Jo Ann
July 17th, 2019, 01:51 AM
Yes I have, I recently learned that too much protein may have the opposite effect, So I think I may have a protein overload (on top of the damage) because thats what I have been using lately.

What is weird is that I dont have any split ends at all or white dots, my ends are just very dry! Im sure its it's due to the bleach, so I have been doing my best to recover them considering that I dont have spit ends, so now when I do a protein treatment I try to follow it by a very moisturizing mask, thanks to this forum that has teached me so many thinks... Thank you.
I just hope to endure and finish the challenge.

Have you tried ROO and LOC/LCO? The links are in Lapushka's signature and both are great helps to getting your hair to retain moisture.

I bleach the back and sides of my hair about every four months and, when my hair starts feeling like wet cardboard, I know it's time to do a protein treatment (I do one about every four to six weeks) and always follow my protein treatment with LOC/LCO and moisturize every time I shampoo (I WCC). That greatly helps my hair bounce back from bleaching. I also use semi-permanent dye about every six to eight weeks (depending on how quickly I tire of the color) and do deep moisturizing treatments when I'm actively fading my color and a protein treatment when I'm almost done with the fading.

Simpscone
July 17th, 2019, 09:26 AM
Is anyone hoping to reach a specific milestone by the end of the challenge? I'm aiming for BSL stretched, but I think I might end up around half an inch shy (if I'm lucky!)

Orionis
July 17th, 2019, 01:51 PM
Is anyone hoping to reach a specific milestone by the end of the challenge? I'm aiming for BSL stretched, but I think I might end up around half an inch shy (if I'm lucky!)

I'd like to reach a little past mid-back length because I think I'd be dreaming at a height of 5'6" to reach waist length! I wish though....:D

Ylva
July 17th, 2019, 02:10 PM
I'd like to reach a little past mid-back length because I think I'd be dreaming at a height of 5'6" to reach waist length! I wish though....:D

I don't understand why waist length would be unobtainable for a person whose height is 5'6". :confused:

ETA: Oh, I'm in THIS thread. I thought I was in a length thread. :D But anyway, it mainly depends on body proportions, not height. 5'6" is around average. :)

deeisme
July 17th, 2019, 02:41 PM

I'm hoping for waist by the end of the challenge. Fingers crossed.

Orionis
July 17th, 2019, 03:06 PM
Ylva yes but by December 2019? I doubt it but if you think otherwise then I feel encouraged!

S&S
July 17th, 2019, 03:11 PM

I am 5'6 and hoping for the same... Ha! I'll probably be halfway there :o

MusicalSpoons
July 17th, 2019, 03:14 PM
I'm hoping for proper, visibly recognisable calf length - previously I thought I'd call it at 3 inches past knee, and it might technically count there, but it probably won't register as actual calf until a little way after that. I have what looks to be 2.5inches until the bottom of my calf-length leggings so I'd like to reach there by the end of the year.

Ylva yes but by December 2019? I doubt it but if you think otherwise then I feel encouraged!

The only way to know is to measure from where you are now to waist length, and see how far you have to grow. If you know your growth rate you can work out how many months it will be, if not then assume the average 0.5inches per month :)

Orionis
July 17th, 2019, 03:21 PM
The only way to know is to measure from where you are now to waist length, and see how far you have to grow. If you know your growth rate you can work out how many months it will be, if not then assume the average 0.5inches per month :)

Ok musicalspoons, I’m out hunting for a tape measure in shop round the corner from me in the morning :)

MusicalSpoons
July 17th, 2019, 04:18 PM
Ok musicalspoons, I’m out hunting for a tape measure in shop round the corner from me in the morning :)

If you can get your hands behind your back you might only need to measure with fingers and a ruler :) though a tape measure is useful for so many things so if it's easy enough to get hold of one you may as well!

pisinoe
July 18th, 2019, 12:43 PM
I want to reach mid back length if all goes well. I'm 1-2 months away from reaching proper BSL (I think), so fingers crossed it will be enough

Stardreamer
July 21st, 2019, 05:03 PM
On July 21st, I reached 3 months of growing my hair since my tragic cut on April 21st. I don't really have a particular goal for length in mind, I just want to stop cutting. I know I will last until October 21st, which is the 6 month mark at which I usually cut my hair, but I need to last for 2+ months after that which is something I haven't done in a long time. I also noticed that I haven't been on here much so hopefully I will look back on this post and not get tempted. Otherwise, it's going well so far.

queencarrion
July 24th, 2019, 11:39 AM
As far as goals for this challenge, I'm just hoping to get to "beyond classic" / mid-thigh length and keep it healthy, wearing protective styles nearly all the time. Good luck to everyone :)

The-Young-Maid
July 24th, 2019, 02:23 PM
I'm about 1/2" past tailbone right now. My growth is pretty steady so by the end of 2019 I should be at classic.

hannabiss
July 24th, 2019, 04:01 PM
I hoping to reach APL or very close by the end of 2019. Not sure I'll make. Not sure I wont make it. So it's all good.

Aerya
July 24th, 2019, 10:33 PM
After having done two trims in a rather short interval and cutting in some face framers after failing the last challenge, I'm not really used to not cutting anymore. It's weird how quickly that goes. I keep finding myself looking at my ends and thinking I should do a trim, or wanting to touch up my face framers a bit, and then I remember I'm in this challenge, so I can't. And that's fine with me, because my ends would get frazzled again within a week and I'd end up maintaining at a length I don't like and my face framers are annoying enough as is. While they look cute, hair in my face drives me nuts!

So yeah, this is a great challenge for my impulsive self. As for goals, I hope to be well on my way in the midback abyss by the end of the year. :D

Stardreamer
July 25th, 2019, 04:15 PM
I might make APL this year if I'm luckyyyy

Stray_mind
July 26th, 2019, 02:02 AM
The ends of my peacock twist are dropping down and almost reach my ear now. I wonder how long my hair is now, but i promised myself that i won't take a length pic until the end of september.

Luna Starsetta
July 28th, 2019, 12:38 AM
I happened to glance down at my ends. Taking note of how crazy my ends are. I honestly regret dying and highlighting my hair in younger pre LHC damage. I'm doing my best to baby them making myself feel better by oiling them daily. Doing weekly deep conditioning treatments. Via diy and bought...but I'm really starting to notice a difference now in the actual feel of it. The ends are so dry and colored. They get very unruly. So I am doing my best to mend them and encourage them to be less all over the place. I have a diy mask sitting in now and I will rinse it out tomorrow. Makes me last at least a little while longer in this challenge!

TatsuOni
July 28th, 2019, 03:25 AM
I'm hoping to reach mid thigh by the end of this challenge.

Stardreamer
July 28th, 2019, 08:52 PM
Every day I drag the brush through my hair. It used to be easy to brush. It's annoying.

TreesOfEternity
July 29th, 2019, 03:49 PM
My one month stall has finished aparently, yay!

elfynity
August 1st, 2019, 09:17 AM
I have been micro trimming the whole year, if you call chopping 1 inch every second month a microtrim. Amazingly my hair has gained in length, but I am done with that i want my hair to gain length for real. I am joining one month late, but hoping to increase by 3 inches by new year. Then I will do a small trim. I also just can't trust myself with trims. I try to chop off a quarter inch and it lands up being an inch. I plan to rely on s&d to remove splits.

My end of year goal is to be closer to waist than bsl.

BerrySara
August 1st, 2019, 09:39 AM
Well I have decided I need to join this challenge.

Last weekend I gave myself a trim following some youtube video on cutting your own curly hair and I cant say I achieved what I wanted but the blending of layers does seem to have improved. I ended up cutting off somewhere close to 2" and have set myself back to April in terms of length. But at least I did not trim my shortest layers, just a slight dusting and my ends all over certainly feel much softer and better.

Anyway, now I need to not cut for the rest of the year.

EDIT: Hope its okay I am joining a month late.

Ylva
August 1st, 2019, 10:58 AM
Cutting after the 5th of July disqualifies you from this challenge.

I am not participating but the rules live deep within my heart. :D

Stray_mind
August 1st, 2019, 11:12 PM
Well I have decided I need to join this challenge.

Last weekend I gave myself a trim following some youtube video on cutting your own curly hair and I cant say I achieved what I wanted but the blending of layers does seem to have improved. I ended up cutting off somewhere close to 2" and have set myself back to April in terms of length. But at least I did not trim my shortest layers, just a slight dusting and my ends all over certainly feel much softer and better.

Anyway, now I need to not cut for the rest of the year.

EDIT: Hope its okay I am joining a month late.

If you trim after 5th of July, this challenge is not for you anymore, but there is a No trimming for an indefinite amount of time thread so you can join that one for now. :)
Also i really really love your hair and i can't wait to see it grow longer!

elfynity
August 2nd, 2019, 12:56 AM
Cutting after the 5th of July disqualifies you from this challenge.

I am not participating but the rules live deep within my heart. :D

Sadly, I did a trim 2 days ago so wont be able to join this challenge :( But I will stay motivated and not cut till end of the year.

PallasAthena
August 9th, 2019, 11:29 AM
So I posted in another thread, I tried to do freeform locks this summer and just recently brushed them out. I did end up trimming some dead ends so I'm out, boo. My biggest challenge is my bangs/front layers. They seem to be split immediately after a trim, I wonder if I will ever grow these layers out! I've been oiling the ends while damp after a shower and it helps them look a little better. Stay strong, the rest of you!

Kat-Rinnè Naido
August 10th, 2019, 02:25 PM
So I posted in another thread, I tried to do freeform locks this summer and just recently brushed them out. I did end up trimming some dead ends so I'm out, boo. My biggest challenge is my bangs/front layers. They seem to be split immediately after a trim, I wonder if I will ever grow these layers out! I've been oiling the ends while damp after a shower and it helps them look a little better. Stay strong, the rest of you!

Good luck with your hair growing journey. Whichever route you take enjoy your hair growing journey.

lapushka
August 10th, 2019, 05:16 PM
Sadly, I did a trim 2 days ago so wont be able to join this challenge :( But I will stay motivated and not cut till end of the year.

Sorry to hear about the trim, but if it's necessary... I mean. And yes, do hang in there for the rest of the year (even though separate from this thread). You go girl!

Oh that's too bad! Good luck on your journey, from me as well! :)

macyann
August 11th, 2019, 12:29 AM
Well, I haven't cut my hair since May, and was planning not to cut it until the new year, so this thread seems to be RIGHT up my alley B) I actually took pictures too (a tad late as I took them in august) which means I can actually upload progress photos at the end of the challenge!

Joules
August 14th, 2019, 12:54 PM
I've had a few meltdowns at this point but I'd like to inorm everyone that I'm still in the challenge :lol: right now I'm torn between a trim in September and "oh I can easily go until December", but for now I'm not trimming. If I do, this thread will be the first to know :lol:

Fingers crossed I can manage just 4 more months

Jo Ann
August 15th, 2019, 12:51 AM
Joules, hang in there! Stay within the rules (S&D) and remember the two-week rule!

Look at it this way--eight months down, four to go :)

Stray_mind
August 15th, 2019, 01:47 AM
I've had a few meltdowns at this point but I'd like to inorm everyone that I'm still in the challenge :lol: right now I'm torn between a trim in September and "oh I can easily go until December", but for now I'm not trimming. If I do, this thread will be the first to know :lol:

Fingers crossed I can manage just 4 more months

Put it up and forget about it. :)
You can definitely trim later.

Joules
August 15th, 2019, 02:00 AM
Joules, hang in there! Stay within the rules (S&D) and remember the two-week rule!

Look at it this way--eight months down, four to go :)

It does sound way more doable when you put it this way! :) thanks!

Put it up and forget about it. :)
You can definitely trim later.

I am wearing it up most of the time. But I still have to let it down whenever I have to wash and dry it, and that's when it gets me :shrug: I'm gonna try my best though to stay away from the scissors!

tekla
August 15th, 2019, 12:25 PM
I had a trim in late April and I'm having difficulties not to have a trim in September. I think I've had some visible growth and the ends don't look too bad but my layers (or what is left of them) are driving me nuts. They get all flipped and wonky if it's been raining and I hate it. Hair is still too short for a ponytail so the flipping ends are a constant problem.

Joules
August 17th, 2019, 02:23 AM
Alright, guys, I'm dropping out of this challenge. I gave up and trimmed about 2 inches (maybe a bit less than 2 inches, but definitely not more).

My ends were getting velcro-ey not because of damage, but because of thinness, if that makes any sense. If any of you had super thin tapered ends before I think you'll get what I mean. It wasn't looking even remotely cute and it just wasn't worth it to wait until December.

My hair is still at BCL. Still the longest I've ever had. And I have zero regrets :D well, maybe just one: I regret not doing it in July and staying in the challenge with you ladies :D

I'm gonna maintain BCL for a while to see if my ends thicken up. I might join the 6 months no-trimming challenge next year just for the fun of it, but I'll be cutting off everything that grows longer than BCL.

Good luck to all who continue! :cheer:

Luna Starsetta
August 18th, 2019, 04:30 PM
my ends are starting to get grabby, and tangled i know it is because of prior LHC damage of highlighting and coloring. i find that each time i shower no matter how much deep conditioner i use they never seem hydrated enough. i still choose to baby them with daily oiling, i'm happy that they at least hold a curl in them. so on wad we go. last i measured i am 40.5 after cut on April 30th...of more then i wanted.. but i am back to where i started. unfortunately my ends are still thin but i have a very distinct V hemline now.

Lizabeth94
August 18th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Joining! I’m hoping to hit collarbone length by Christmas time! :disco:

Hasse
August 19th, 2019, 02:37 AM
Since a sauna visit two weeks ago, my ends are roughed up. I suppose chlorine, heat and salt baths aren't the best for them, haha. Babying them helps for now, but I don't know if I can hold out untill the end of the challenge. I could try oiling them, but I'm afraid my hair will become greasy. Is a bit of oil enough to protect ends?