PDA

View Full Version : No-trimming 2019!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

lapushka
April 8th, 2019, 05:38 PM
I understand now.
I've never had enough material for such snipping. :D Probably it would go wrong with the lengths above APL.

OH NO! Don't even go there if you're not *at least* waist length! Or you will give yourself bangs and even worse! You'll look like an 80s rocker dude. No joke. I like this method, but I like to reserve it for longer hair! There is a thread on the method on the forum.

SwanFeathers
April 9th, 2019, 02:40 PM
I'm out, end of semester anxiety got to me and I caved. Lost 1/2 an inch :(

Longlegs
April 10th, 2019, 12:19 AM
OH NO! Don't even go there if you're not *at least* waist length! Or you will give yourself bangs and even worse! You'll look like an 80s rocker dude. No joke. I like this method, but I like to reserve it for longer hair! There is a thread on the method on the forum.

Lapushka is right, in Australia this look is called a 'mullet' , it's more common in men though, think Billy Ray Cyrus, jon bon jovi etc . Not a good look!

Simpscone
April 10th, 2019, 03:31 AM
I am not making new pictures currently. The one in my signature is pretty recent. These are the most recent I have. Hang on...

FTL
https://i.imgur.com/OR4teYMm.jpg

Classic
https://i.imgur.com/mJizzyrm.jpg

Can I call this classic
https://i.imgur.com/BVseRz7m.jpg

Hope this is OK. :)

Why did you want more recent pics?

Wow Lapushka, I also had only seen your signature picture - your hair is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Agava
April 10th, 2019, 08:16 AM

:rockerdud lol, this one? No, I would never have courage for such avantguard.
I remember the times when such style was popular among the girls, too. Only, the cut was performed by trimming the ponytail that is made at the top/back of the head, so the shortest parts looked like kind of crawn or so

lapushka
April 10th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Lapushka is right, in Australia this look is called a 'mullet' , it's more common in men though, think Billy Ray Cyrus, jon bon jovi etc . Not a good look!

It's not exactly a mullet, maybe if you go short enough, but... not really.

lapushka
April 10th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Wow Lapushka, I also had only seen your signature picture - your hair is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome! Thank you so much. :D I cut back to the middle picture. Just a little past classic. But it looks thicker, more like the last picture now. Thickness does travel down, you guys! :D

Simsy
April 11th, 2019, 05:30 AM
Checking in for the first time in a month?...6 weeks?...I donít even know anymore. Work has been absolutely nuts; Iím just coming to the end of 12 days straight in the truck. Havenít really dealt with my hair, I think Iíve brushed it twice in the last 2 weeks. Other than being slightly oily, itís not looking too bad. I could probably get another few days out of it before it started to look unpresentable; itís at the ďmight be damp, might be oily, might just be lightly gelled,Ē stage where everything is just staying put for the most part. Itís getting washed tomorrow or Saturday, depending on what time I finish work.

On an related tangent; Iím dreaming of a bed I can starfish in, and cuddles with the beloved whom I havenít laid eyes on for 2 weeks now. The sleeper cab is nice but nothing quite beats your own bed.

Agava
April 11th, 2019, 06:54 AM
It's not exactly a mullet, maybe if you go short enough, but... not really.

Yes, mullet isn't rock dude. Mullet is business on the front and party on the back. The party can be long, or short, and also blunt, layered, tick or very thin.
I have to confess, I had bob cut with one long strand at the back. After some time, I cut my bob to short pixie, but I left that long APL strand. Talking about my teen age, 1988. :D

lapushka
April 12th, 2019, 07:59 AM
Yes, mullet isn't rock dude. Mullet is business on the front and party on the back. The party can be long, or short, and also blunt, layered, tick or very thin.
I have to confess, I had bob cut with one long strand at the back. After some time, I cut my bob to short pixie, but I left that long APL strand. Talking about my teen age, 1988. :D

Talk about wild! ;)

zmirina
April 14th, 2019, 11:15 PM
I haven't trimmed since November, and should stretch it out to next January. Hopefully my hair will be tailbone length by then

Kat-RinnŤ Naido
April 19th, 2019, 11:26 AM
I'm back and still in.
I have been checking in. But have not been able to log in for an extremely long time. I had forgotten my password. It is good to be back.
To those still in this challenge congratulations. Non-trimming challenges can be difficult. I especially feel it. Going onto three years, having gained hair length I'v also accumulated a lot of fairy tale ends . The left side of my hair is considerably longer than the right side. The hair at the crown of my hair is much shorter than the rest (I think the discrepancy is due to bunning)
I now keep my hair in braids. The good news is that split ends are few.

I have a lot of reading to do, a lot to catch up with and get up to date.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 19th, 2019, 11:31 AM
I'm back and still in.
I have been checking in. But have not been able to log in for an extremely long time. I had forgotten my password. It is good to be back.
To those still in this challenge congratulations. Non-trimming challenges can be difficult. I especially feel it. Going onto three years, having gained hair length I'v also accumulated a lot of fairy tale ends . The left side of my hair is considerably longer than the right side. The hair at the crown of my hair is much shorter than the rest (I think the discrepancy is due to bunning)
I now keep my hair in braids. The good news is that split ends are few.

I have a lot of reading to do, a lot to catch up with and get up to date.

It's great to see you back again :D

lapushka
April 19th, 2019, 01:01 PM
I haven't trimmed since November, and should stretch it out to next January. Hopefully my hair will be tailbone length by then

Welcome, zmirina! Let's hope you get to TBL! :D

I'm back and still in.

Awesome! :D

It's great to see you back again :D

I agree! ^^

JulianaCapalbo
April 19th, 2019, 01:11 PM
Hi so I'm 13, don't let that fool you. I know how to do my research and only use natural products. I trimmed my hair on December 29th 1/4 to a half of an inch. I don't measure my hair but on me my hair is waist length and a few inches until hip length. My hair extremely thick and also wavy so I hope as my hair gets longer the waves will be weighed down and it will be loser. I use coconut oil, vitamin E oil, jamaican black castor oil, and olive oil on my ends everyday. I'm not going to trim until after January 1st 2020 and hopefully I am at hip length by then.

Kat-RinnŤ Naido
April 19th, 2019, 01:58 PM
Thank you lapushka and Sarahlabyrinth:grouphug:

Welcome JuliannaCapalbo. Enjoy your hair growing journey.

lapushka
April 19th, 2019, 03:39 PM
Hi so I'm 13, don't let that fool you. I know how to do my research and only use natural products. I trimmed my hair on December 29th 1/4 to a half of an inch. I don't measure my hair but on me my hair is waist length and a few inches until hip length. My hair extremely thick and also wavy so I hope as my hair gets longer the waves will be weighed down and it will be loser. I use coconut oil, vitamin E oil, jamaican black castor oil, and olive oil on my ends everyday. I'm not going to trim until after January 1st 2020 and hopefully I am at hip length by then.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the challenge/thread! :)

Thank you lapushka and Sarahlabyrinth:grouphug:

You're welcome!

ExpectoPatronum
April 19th, 2019, 09:52 PM
Still resisting the urge to trim. My best friend wanted me to cut her hair last night so that helped lessen the urge to take scissors to my own hair.

raemarthe
April 20th, 2019, 08:02 PM
So far I've had no urges to chop or trim, and It's been over 6 months since my last trim. I want to power past APL!

FennFire911
April 20th, 2019, 08:15 PM
So far so good around here. I'm thinking I might not even break this year up into two halves by trimming in the middle.

I do have one question though. Does snipping off a couple of pesky "racers" count as an actual trim?

lapushka
April 21st, 2019, 05:46 AM
So far so good around here. I'm thinking I might not even break this year up into two halves by trimming in the middle.

I do have one question though. Does snipping off a couple of pesky "racers" count as an actual trim?

Yep. It is "messing with the hemline", which is why I call it that because people find ways around it otherwise, and it gets complicated. ;) :p Anything that is not S&D is a trim.

FennFire911
April 21st, 2019, 08:34 AM
Aw, tartar sauce! Looks like I'll have two hairs that reach my milestones first lol

clandestine
April 21st, 2019, 09:19 AM
Checking in, still going strong. I've been trying to keep my ends oiled and bunned most of the time and it's been going well!

Garnetgem
April 21st, 2019, 07:13 PM
Still here and have a good few racers some tickling mid thigh,i have a couple longer ones too..

Dark40
April 21st, 2019, 07:27 PM
Still here and have a good few racers some tickling mid thigh,i have a couple longer ones too..

Congratulations on your few racers to mid thigh! :) I'm still at WL+ length. I think right now my hair is going through another stall. :( I'm planning on doing a relaxer in May. So, I'll be seeing how my new growth has stretched. Hopefully, almost to hip length.

Starya
April 21st, 2019, 09:06 PM
Joining the game in May. My hair is currently being grown out from a pixie. It's going to look horrid until my next trim. Then I'll join for sure. :)

Ylva
April 21st, 2019, 09:23 PM
Joining the game in May. My hair is currently being grown out from a pixie. It's going to look horrid until my next trim. Then I'll join for sure. :)

This challenge includes the entire year, as in one cannot trim for the entirety of the year. But you should go ahead and join the second half. :)

WyntreBlossom
April 22nd, 2019, 12:43 AM
So im a little late but April 2019 marks my 2 years of no cutting or trims!!!! I'm so thrilled to have hit such a milestone!

lapushka
April 22nd, 2019, 06:55 AM

Try this one. The one you're posting in currently is for the entire year:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=144022&highlight=trimming

lapushka
April 22nd, 2019, 06:55 AM
So im a little late but April 2019 marks my 2 years of no cutting or trims!!!! I'm so thrilled to have hit such a milestone!

Congratulations! :applause

Luna Starsetta
April 23rd, 2019, 07:53 AM
Well... It looks like I'm going to respectfully bow out. As my ends are dry color damaged and split. Health over length right? Sigh my trim is set for the end of this month. Still a bit leary about it but it will grow back. And it will be better to cut sooner then later so my hair has time to grow back before my wedding in july. I personally already hit a year with no trims and this will be my first cut that is 1" or more in 8 years a little nervous but its time to part with the dead color damaged ends that I can't seem to mend. Any way happy growing all!

LittleHealthy
April 23rd, 2019, 11:09 AM
Well... It looks like I'm going to respectfully bow out. As my ends are dry color damaged and split. Health over length right? Sigh my trim is set for the end of this month. Still a bit leary about it but it will grow back. And it will be better to cut sooner then later so my hair has time to grow back before my wedding in july. I personally already hit a year with no trims and this will be my first cut that is 1" or more in 8 years a little nervous but its time to part with the dead color damaged ends that I can't seem to mend. Any way happy growing all!

All the best with your trim, and for your impending wedding!!

lapushka
April 23rd, 2019, 11:38 AM

No harm done! If those ends are so bad, it might indeed be better to trim a bit. Don't get carried away though. ;) 1, max. 2 inch(es) might be all it needs, but it's up to you.

zmirina
April 23rd, 2019, 12:29 PM
I had a very satisfying S&D session after getting highlights. Since they have to tease and bleach, I had a lot of epically destroyed ends, and snipping those little uglies off felt amazing.
My hair seems to feel a lot better after the second deep conditioning treatment post-highlights. Though it feels like it stretches&snaps more, when I braid it and stuff.

Ilyem
April 23rd, 2019, 12:47 PM
I realised I posted in the no trimming for the 2nd half of 2019 rather than here. I haven't trimmed my hair since December 2018 and I'm thinking I'll be going through with not trimming for the entire year rather than one being allowed during the middle. I'm making sure to keep on top of S&D though so that I don't allow too much damage.

My ends are getting quite thin but hopefully they don't become too unbearable by the end of the year. I really want the length and I estimate to be BSL at the end of this challenge, currently being 1-2 months away from APL.

Kat-RinnŤ Naido
April 23rd, 2019, 01:00 PM

All the best with your hair and your up coming wedding.

Luna Starsetta
April 23rd, 2019, 05:40 PM
No harm done! If those ends are so bad, it might indeed be better to trim a bit. Don't get carried away though. ;) 1, max. 2 inch(es) might be all it needs, but it's up to you.

I'm hoping so too! I don't wanna lose my length but what is needed will have to be d9me but if they say 3 or 4 o will most certainly say um no thanks! Only what is damaged please!

Luna Starsetta
April 23rd, 2019, 05:41 PM
Thank you very much and to you as well with growing!

Luna Starsetta
April 23rd, 2019, 05:42 PM
All the best with your hair and your up coming wedding.

Thank you very much happy growing to you!

cjk
April 28th, 2019, 09:27 PM
https://i.imgur.com/WK6B0cp.jpg

I might need to trim. My ends are starting to velcro and feel physically dry. Frustrating since it feels like my hair is finally starting to grow!

Willing to try deep conditioning first to moisturize. Any suggestions? Long hair is still new to me, in terms of caring for the tips.

Ylva
April 28th, 2019, 09:29 PM
https://i.imgur.com/WK6B0cp.jpg

I might need to trim. My ends are starting to velcro and feel physically dry. Frustrating since it feels like my hair is finally starting to grow!

Willing to try deep conditioning first to moisturize. Any suggestions? Long hair is still new to me, in terms of caring for the tips.

Have you tried ROO?

cjk
April 28th, 2019, 09:32 PM
Have you tried ROO?

No, but I'll look it up.

I don't *see* any significant number of split ends, but my hair is still too short to pull forward and examine visually.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 29th, 2019, 02:04 AM
No, but I'll look it up.

I don't *see* any significant number of split ends, but my hair is still too short to pull forward and examine visually.

You could check for split ends by taking a close up photo and then zooming in for details. The ROO method is explained in Lapushka's signature :)

lapushka
April 29th, 2019, 05:54 AM
cjk, I'll just post here so you'll have the link.

If you've clarified lately it can't be that.

Just remember less is more. You literally just need "drops" of oil, not teaspoons or God forbid tablespoons. Even though those with longer lengths might need more oil.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 29th, 2019, 05:56 AM
cjk, I'll just post here so you'll have the link.

If you've clarified lately it can't be that.

Just remember less is more. You literally just need "drops" of oil, not teaspoons or God forbid tablespoons. Even though those with longer lengths might need more oil.

I use 12 drops on my hair and I oil from ears down, so yes, you don't need much.

lapushka
April 29th, 2019, 09:00 AM
I use 12 drops on my hair and I oil from ears down, so yes, you don't need much.

I use about 10-18 drops (of a natural oil) on the last 6 inches of my hair, I don't bring it up higher, concentrating mainly on the very ends (which are thinner in my layered style). If I use mineral oil I use 10 drops max., not even that usually, I don't go to the max. with baby oil often.

soldierssong
April 29th, 2019, 09:38 AM
I'm joining the no-trim 2019!
I haven't cut it the whole year so far, and I'm not going to.
Oiling is great! I just mainly out my hair in a loose braid the night before I wash, then put just a tiny bit of oil on my fingers, then work it through the last 3-odd inches of my hair, which I leave unbraided.
Then, wash the next day.

cjk
April 29th, 2019, 03:46 PM
I didn't have any oils handy but my beard oils. Spread a few drops on my tips and sealed with a microscopic amount of Indian Hemp from Softee which is mostly Vaseline.

My tips actually look and feel somewhat better and this may hold me until my next wash day.

Groovy Granny
April 29th, 2019, 04:15 PM
Most of the beard oils my DS has includes the usual oils for hair length use I noticed...jojoba, argan etc.

The beard oil should do you fine as a trial if you are seeing a positive effect... though the supply will run out quickly as it seems the beard oils are in tiny bottles.
Maybe once you see what works, you can get less expensive/larger volume bottles of the oils you prefer for both purposes.

I had avoided olive and almond oils (kitchen sink varieties lol) but after using the Neutrogena mask with has them in it and seeing the tremendous change it had on my hair, I would buy them individually if needed.

lapushka
April 29th, 2019, 04:21 PM
I didn't have any oils handy but my beard oils. Spread a few drops on my tips and sealed with a microscopic amount of Indian Hemp from Softee which is mostly Vaseline.

My tips actually look and feel somewhat better and this may hold me until my next wash day.

Great to hear! :thumbsup:

LittleHealthy
April 29th, 2019, 04:54 PM

If you do get a hankering to trim, make sure you sit on that thought for a while first ;) I had the same complaints in October last year, trimmed a little over an inch on a whim and reeeeeegretted it!

Agava
April 30th, 2019, 03:13 AM
Cjk, before you definitely decide to trim, try once just olive oil. I use it once in a month, or even less. I apply oil few hours before washing hair, and cover with plastic cap and towel above. Olive oil makes my hair ends feel softer, smoother. I also use coconut fat and butter from time to time, and they work nicely, too. Try!

Luna Starsetta
April 30th, 2019, 10:10 AM
Today is trim day so I will be officially out of the challenge. Now I'm hoping that the girl doing my hair can handle my texture and curls. And not get snip snip happy. My DH is coming with me and promised he would say something if she goes to take off too much which I'm very happy cause he is a big support person to me. And knows my hair is like a child to me. Good luck to you all and happy growing!

cjk
April 30th, 2019, 09:21 PM
Cjk, before you definitely decide to trim, try once just olive oil. I use it once in a month, or even less. I apply oil few hours before washing hair, and cover with plastic cap and towel above. Olive oil makes my hair ends feel softer, smoother. I also use coconut fat and butter from time to time, and they work nicely, too. Try!

I'm not one of those people who cuts on a whim. And I experimented with oil/grease. It improved.

In fact I might do a heavier oiling tonight before bed, and wash tomorrow. Middle of the week, after all.

Tinyponies
April 30th, 2019, 09:48 PM
Today is trim day so I will be officially out of the challenge. Now I'm hoping that the girl doing my hair can handle my texture and curls. And not get snip snip happy. My DH is coming with me and promised he would say something if she goes to take off too much which I'm very happy cause he is a big support person to me. And knows my hair is like a child to me. Good luck to you all and happy growing!

Best of luck with your trim, and your support strategy sounds brilliant. Itís so good to have someone with you who gets it!

cjk
May 4th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Yesterday I saw a stylist. It was an impulsive visit.

Asked her about the condition of my hair.

She took one look, said the number of split ends I have is almost trivial, my hair looks to be in great condition, andstarted gushing about how pretty my hair is and telling me I'm extremely fortunate.

No trimming occurred, and according to her no trimming is necessary.

Onward in the challenge!

zmirina
May 9th, 2019, 08:11 PM
cjk, congradulations! Stuff like that never happened to me, damn dye and bleach :rolleyes:

LittleHealthy
May 9th, 2019, 09:11 PM
My urge to trim has been strong over the last 2 days. I received a rude comment on other social media saying ‘Not to be rude, but have you thought about trimming your dead ends?’ I had been feeling great about my hair up until that point. I trim off my splits individually, my hair feels amazing. But that comment alone made me feel so self conscious and silly for some reason.
The girl who said it, had just trimmed all her hair off to shoulder length to ‘remove damage’ so I can understand her own choice to do that, but I felt all of a sudden very self conscious about my ends, even though they’re not even split, and all hair is dead!! I’ve hidden the scissors and told myself not to allow such small things to bother me so much!! Sometimes that is just hard to do in practice!

TreesOfEternity
May 9th, 2019, 11:31 PM
My urge to trim has been strong over the last 2 days. I received a rude comment on other social media saying ‘Not to be rude, but have you thought about trimming your dead ends?’ I had been feeling great about my hair up until that point. I trim off my splits individually, my hair feels amazing. But that comment alone made me feel so self conscious and silly for some reason.
The girl who said it, had just trimmed all her hair off to shoulder length to ‘remove damage’ so I can understand her own choice to do that, but I felt all of a sudden very self conscious about my ends, even though they’re not even split, and all hair is dead!! I’ve hidden the scissors and told myself not to allow such small things to bother me so much!! Sometimes that is just hard to do in practice!

“Not to be rude”... *proceeds to be rude*: a classic.

You could have reminded her that hair is dead, period, no such thing as dead ends, so she can be chill ;) people tend to project their own insecurities on others, social media is so toxic this days so take people with a grain of salt because those things they never say face to face.

LittleHealthy
May 9th, 2019, 11:38 PM
“Not to be rude”... *proceeds to be rude*: a classic.

You could have reminded her that hair is dead, period, no such thing as dead ends, so she can be chill ;) people tend to project their own insecurities on others, social media is so toxic this days so take people with a grain of salt because those things they never say face to face.

It was Instagram... it’s my first time using social media at all, it’s like a hair diary and I keep myself anonymous and private, yet somehow some people who I deem to be ok to follow, who then follow me back, can still end up being rude!
I did actually reply and say ‘all hair is dead, I have no splits’ etc, I even told her that her message made me feel offended and that it did seem rude... but then I felt silly for even feeling the need to defend myself, and her replies were even more vicious than the first one :laugh:... it’s so easy to see that kind of thing and tell the person “ignore the haters, you do you” etc, but far out when it comes to doing that myself I am so easily upset *facepalm*

TreesOfEternity
May 9th, 2019, 11:40 PM
^ I know, I can’t say “ignore them” because I know that frustration haha, I can’t stand when people are rude for the sake of it.

LongHairM
May 10th, 2019, 02:39 AM
My urge to trim has been strong over the last 2 days. I received a rude comment on other social media saying ĎNot to be rude, but have you thought about trimming your dead ends?í I had been feeling great about my hair up until that point. I trim off my splits individually, my hair feels amazing. But that comment alone made me feel so self conscious and silly for some reason.
The girl who said it, had just trimmed all her hair off to shoulder length to Ďremove damageí so I can understand her own choice to do that, but I felt all of a sudden very self conscious about my ends, even though theyíre not even split, and all hair is dead!! Iíve hidden the scissors and told myself not to allow such small things to bother me so much!! Sometimes that is just hard to do in practice!

I think drier ends are a part of the no-trimming challenge. Even if you had split ends, which you don't, you'd know that you're going to take care of it once the challenge is done. It's not like you're not aware and hanging on for dear life to damaged hair. .
I think this is a case of "I cut my hair so I will tell every person with long hair they should cut their hair too", like when some people break up with their partner they try to convince everyone that they're better off alone too. I really wouldn't take it personally. She reached the decision that cutting her hair and having it much healthier works for her and now she tries to bring other people to do the same, whether with good intentions or not. I honestly would find it more motivating, because if someone goes out of their way to make me feel bad about something I'm close to achieve I must be doing something right :shrug: It's often from jealousy and competition. Just continue with your goals as planned. From your profile picture your hair looks healthy and thick :flower:

LittleHealthy
May 10th, 2019, 07:22 AM
I think drier ends are a part of the no-trimming challenge. Even if you had split ends, which you don't, you'd know that you're going to take care of it once the challenge is done. It's not like you're not aware and hanging on for dear life to damaged hair. .
I think this is a case of "I cut my hair so I will tell every person with long hair they should cut their hair too", like when some people break up with their partner they try to convince everyone that they're better off alone too. I really wouldn't take it personally. She reached the decision that cutting her hair and having it much healthier works for her and now she tries to bring other people to do the same, whether with good intentions or not. I honestly would find it more motivating, because if someone goes out of their way to make me feel bad about something I'm close to achieve I must be doing something right :shrug: It's often from jealousy and competition. Just continue with your goals as planned. From your profile picture your hair looks healthy and thick :flower:

Thankyou for your kind words.
Yes, my hair is healthy (of course the ends are bleached but I’ve been taking good care of it), and I have been feeling so good about my hair’s condition. You are both right, I should find the motivation in this kind of situation. I think I am reaching that point, but it surprised me how easily I felt bad after one little comment. I actually got ready to trim my hair!!! I’m so very glad I didn’t. I am just looking through my ends now for splits and after looking through it all I only found 1 split. My hair is silky and smooth (I wear it up most days lately, with oil in the bleached section quite often).

If it wasn’t for this thread I would have definitely trimmed by now. Thankyou <3

By the way, I am so excited to see how we have all gone by December. Can you believe we are already in May? The year is almost half finished!!!!

Ylva
May 10th, 2019, 08:07 AM
My urge to trim has been strong over the last 2 days. I received a rude comment on other social media saying ĎNot to be rude, but have you thought about trimming your dead ends?í I had been feeling great about my hair up until that point. I trim off my splits individually, my hair feels amazing. But that comment alone made me feel so self conscious and silly for some reason.
The girl who said it, had just trimmed all her hair off to shoulder length to Ďremove damageí so I can understand her own choice to do that, but I felt all of a sudden very self conscious about my ends, even though theyíre not even split, and all hair is dead!! Iíve hidden the scissors and told myself not to allow such small things to bother me so much!! Sometimes that is just hard to do in practice!

Ugh, of course saying "not to be rude, but..." makes it okay to say whatever **** one's brain spews out. Not!

Take pleasure in annoying that person with your "dead ends". She can have the joy of going mad over them if she cares about other people's appearance that much.

LongHairM
May 10th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Thankyou for your kind words.
Yes, my hair is healthy (of course the ends are bleached but Iíve been taking good care of it), and I have been feeling so good about my hairís condition. You are both right, I should find the motivation in this kind of situation. I think I am reaching that point, but it surprised me how easily I felt bad after one little comment. I actually got ready to trim my hair!!! Iím so very glad I didnít. I am just looking through my ends now for splits and after looking through it all I only found 1 split. My hair is silky and smooth (I wear it up most days lately, with oil in the bleached section quite often).

If it wasnít for this thread I would have definitely trimmed by now. Thankyou <3

By the way, I am so excited to see how we have all gone by December. Can you believe we are already in May? The year is almost half finished!!!!

I'm also very glad you didn't trim :grouphug:
It's natural to feel offended and want to trim, I would to, but if it happens again just do what you did (skip the almost trimming part :lol:) and stop, look at your hair, objectively think about whether you should trim and come to the forum for words of advice :D

sailormars
May 13th, 2019, 04:15 PM
I joined the no-trimming 2012 first half, but I would actually like to join no trimming gin all of 2019 challenge! I have shoulder length hair and my ultimate goal is tailbone length, so I'm really excited to see how much length I can gain this year :)

sailormars
May 13th, 2019, 04:24 PM
I just realized my mistake in my last comment! I don't know how to delete a comment here, and I can't edit, so let me clarify here!

I've been doing the no trimming challenge all on my own since January of THIS year (not 2012, I made a dumb mistake typing 2012 instead of 2019). Then I joined LHC and wanted to officially join this challenge :) I'm really excited to be part of a group that's also undergoing the same challenge!

My hair is currently shoulder length, and my goal is tailbone length. I got a trim in early January (~0.25in) and I'm hoping by resisting hair trims for this year, I can gain a lot more hair growth than I would if I was trimming my hair throughout the year.

LittleHealthy
May 14th, 2019, 06:11 PM
I just realized my mistake in my last comment! I don't know how to delete a comment here, and I can't edit, so let me clarify here!

I've been doing the no trimming challenge all on my own since January of THIS year (not 2012, I made a dumb mistake typing 2012 instead of 2019). Then I joined LHC and wanted to officially join this challenge :) I'm really excited to be part of a group that's also undergoing the same challenge!

My hair is currently shoulder length, and my goal is tailbone length. I got a trim in early January (~0.25in) and I'm hoping by resisting hair trims for this year, I can gain a lot more hair growth than I would if I was trimming my hair throughout the year.

Welcome! It’s ok I found some things tricky when I first started here too haha!
All the best with your trim free year, do you trim off any split ends individually (if you get them)? I’m finding that’s the best way for me to prolong the health of my hair while I’m not trimming. :flowers:

sailormars
May 15th, 2019, 03:58 PM
All the best with your trim free year, do you trim off any split ends individually (if you get them)? I’m finding that’s the best way for me to prolong the health of my hair while I’m not trimming. :flowers:

I started searching for split ends and snipping them off only at the beginning of this year. I got a sharp pairs of scissors just for this purpose. Since I started this, I've been finding less and less split ends. But occasionally as I'm going through my day, I'll find a split end randomly and I'll have to remind myself to save it for the weekend. Otherwise I'll have to carry my scissors with me everywhere :D It easily gets mechanical damage so I've been keeping it in a low ponytail or baby braid throughout the day to prevent new split ends from forming. Do you have any other advice for keeping my hair healthy?

Saunda
May 15th, 2019, 08:28 PM

I cut off split ends whenever I find them, the pesky things! I really must sharpen my scissors though.

ComaBerenices
May 17th, 2019, 07:55 AM
Hello everyone! Iíve been reading this thread since January but I only registered now. So, my last cut was November 2018. Right now my hair is around APL, I think. My goal is somewhere around waist but my hair has never been that long so we shall see...

sailormars
May 17th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Hello everyone! I’ve been reading this thread since January but I only registered now. So, my last cut was November 2018. Right now my hair is around APL, I think. My goal is somewhere around waist but my hair has never been that long so we shall see...

Welcome to the challenge and good luck!! :)

sailormars
May 17th, 2019, 12:07 PM
I cut off split ends whenever I find them, the pesky things! I really must sharpen my scissors though.

They really are so annoying! Whenever I find one but I don't have scissors on me and I have let it sit back in my hair, it drives me nuts!! Knowing its in my hair and the split end is growing shudder:

zmirina
May 18th, 2019, 10:54 AM
I keep finding extremely intricate splits, but I've also established that my hair is way too dehydrated. It was never an issue for me, IDK what went wrong. Humidity went up where I live... Idk idk idk. Hopefully I'll be able to fix the moisture level, and get the splits out with consistent S&D

MadelineMomo
May 18th, 2019, 10:36 PM
When my hair was shorter I felt like it grew faster. I mostly chalk this up to there being more landmarks to mark it by, and my ends being younger and stronger.

Now, inching toward the 6-month mark for no trimming, I feel like my hair's growth is back to the point of being fast enough that growing it out feels doable.

guska
May 19th, 2019, 01:43 PM
snip
When my hair was shorter I felt like it grew faster.

I'm the opposite :lol:

I was just thinking about getting trim before I remembered that I'm part of this challenge lol.

Simsy
May 19th, 2019, 09:49 PM
They really are so annoying! Whenever I find one but I don't have scissors on me and I have let it sit back in my hair, it drives me nuts!! Knowing its in my hair and the split end is growing shudder:

I have this problem so often. I always seem to find random splits while in the car. I eventually solved the problem by getting a second pair of hair scissors and a comb; and putting both with my wallet. Means I can do small s&d sessions while out and about.

LittleHealthy
May 19th, 2019, 10:14 PM
I have this problem so often. I always seem to find random splits while in the car. I eventually solved the problem by getting a second pair of hair scissors and a comb; and putting both with my wallet. Means I can do small s&d sessions while out and about.
Such a good idea!! I always seem to find them in the car, it must be the good lighting!

MadelineMomo
May 19th, 2019, 11:28 PM
On days when my hair is down enough that I could find splits (ie not in a bun) I carry my hair scissors in my purse. They fit nicely into one of the tube-pouches made for holding pens.

lapushka
May 20th, 2019, 07:36 AM
Hello everyone! I’ve been reading this thread since January but I only registered now. So, my last cut was November 2018. Right now my hair is around APL, I think. My goal is somewhere around waist but my hair has never been that long so we shall see...

Welcome to the forum & the challenge!

I haven't been around much. I know I created the challenge, but I failed this year because I cut my FTL+ length back to classic last March.

But good luck to you, and everyone else!

:happydance:

ComaBerenices
May 20th, 2019, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the welcomes, sailormars & lapushka!

I was just going through some old photos and realised that for the past ten years Iíve been going between chin and APL. This is kind of an awkward length for me, so I think every time Iíve reached this Iíve gotten bored and cut it... Now Iím just hoping I can fight through this stage with your support! :)

Agava
May 20th, 2019, 01:19 PM
ComaBerenices, welcome and happy growing! You'll see on this forum a lot of growings and progress, so there's no way you could stay uninspired to continue with your own progress.
I also have similar experience ( in last 8 years), having my hair mostly around chin and SL, with one pixie cut in 2012 and once (almost) APL in 2016.

CrazyPlantLady
May 24th, 2019, 10:59 AM
I just joined the no trimming 2019 (first half) and while inspecting my hair I realized I don't really need a trim, so I think I'll take the plunge and not trim the rest of the year, even though it's tempting sometimes!

Angela the Mer
May 25th, 2019, 03:44 PM
Hi all! I want in on this as well :D. Haven't trimmed all year, and don't plan to (bad experience with the hairdresser a while ago ... again, lol).

lapushka
May 25th, 2019, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the welcomes, sailormars & lapushka!

I was just going through some old photos and realised that for the past ten years I’ve been going between chin and APL. This is kind of an awkward length for me, so I think every time I’ve reached this I’ve gotten bored and cut it... Now I’m just hoping I can fight through this stage with your support! :)

We call those awkward stages. Once you fight through (it's challenging, not gonna lie, you for sure know that), you'll be SO happy that you didn't cut it again. I promise!

I just joined the no trimming 2019 (first half) and while inspecting my hair I realized I don't really need a trim, so I think I'll take the plunge and not trim the rest of the year, even though it's tempting sometimes!

It can be tempting. I myself needed a trim badly this March (from FTL+ back to classic), but that is because anything longer than FTL is just way too unmanageable for me. So now I am yearly trimming, January, and I am on the second half for the rest of the year!

Hi all! I want in on this as well :D. Haven't trimmed all year, and don't plan to (bad experience with the hairdresser a while ago ... again, lol).

Welcome! :)

CosmoCat
May 25th, 2019, 06:00 PM
My last cut was in October of 2018. I had planned to get a few or more inches cut, but suddenly decided not to and instead grow it a bit. I’m at or near APL, might go to bra strap length. It all depends on if I can stand the thinness and breakage (trichorrhexis nodosa).

ExpectoPatronum
May 28th, 2019, 01:54 PM
We're almost halfway through the year and I have the urge to trim. I'm trying not to give in to the urge, but it's hard!

clandestine
May 28th, 2019, 03:11 PM
So far this hasn't been too hard for me but I think its helps that I'm growing out my bangs as well.

lapushka
May 28th, 2019, 03:27 PM
We're almost halfway through the year and I have the urge to trim. I'm trying not to give in to the urge, but it's hard!

Hang in there. And if your ends need a trim. You can always just join the second half. I did! I trimmed in March and broke my own challenge. ;) I thought I was up to longer than FTL but obviously not.

I have just joined the 2nd half, but you do you. If you think you can hang in there, by all means! DO IT! :cheer:

ExpectoPatronum
May 28th, 2019, 07:38 PM
I really want to reach waist length this year and I feel like trimming will be working against that. My ends are actually okay, just a little dry feeling if I'm honest. I guess it's time to wear my hair up more!

Ylva
May 28th, 2019, 08:40 PM
I really want to reach waist length this year and I feel like trimming will be working against that. My ends are actually okay, just a little dry feeling if I'm honest. I guess it's time to wear my hair up more!

Try ROO for the ends if you haven't yet. :)

ExpectoPatronum
May 28th, 2019, 08:41 PM
Ooh, good idea Ylva. I'll try that on my next wash.

LittleHealthy
May 29th, 2019, 05:54 AM

I feel the same way, and Iím doing just that! Hiding those ends. Out of sight, out of mind :heartbeat

Kat-RinnŤ Naido
May 29th, 2019, 06:18 AM
Welcome to all newly joining

No trimming is really challenging. Try not to focus on your hair. Keep yourself distracted and busy. Before you know the year would be over.

The temptation to trim has been there for me many times during the challenge. It's has been members with super long hair who have helped me get through these challenges.

Good luck everyone.

SimplySmile
May 29th, 2019, 09:15 AM
I have been doing the search and destroy method and I have to say that is helping me not want to trim it. I brought my nice shears with me to work and I trim my ends during my lunch break. I wish I would have discovered/tried this S&D sooner - I could have prevented so many split ends and unnecessary trims/chops.

young&reckless
May 29th, 2019, 11:22 AM
So far so good, but I’m really fighting this length. Lol it is longer then every before! At least it is helping my to braid my hair more often as it helps contain it. I’m glad hat and buff season is here, up goes the mop.

ComaBerenices
May 29th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Welcome to all newly joining.

No trimming is really challenging. Try not to focus on your hair. Keep yourself distracted and busy. Before you know the year would be over.

The temptation to trim has been there for me many times during the challenge. It's has been members with super long hair who have helped me get through these challenges.

Good luck everyone.

Itís surprising how difficult it is not to focus on your hair. Iíve never really paid much attention to how often I trimmed, but now that Iím not trimming I think about it much more often... Well itís been a bit over 6 months since my last trim so Iím doing good anyways.

CrazyPlantLady
May 29th, 2019, 02:03 PM
I'm fighting the temptation to trim! In the right light you can see the ends of my hair have white dots and it makes me want to chop them all off! I've tried to S&D them but they're only visible in juuuuust the right light. :wail:

sailormars
May 29th, 2019, 03:40 PM
I'm fighting the temptation to trim! In the right light you can see the ends of my hair have white dots and it makes me want to chop them all off! I've tried to S&D them but they're only visible in juuuuust the right light. :wail:

I don't know if what I'm doing is necessarily the best method. But I keep a pair of scissors in my work bag so when I see the white dots in my hair, I can just snip it real quick. Or I just leave them be. They'll turn into split ends soon and then they'll get snipped off during my S&D's

CrazyPlantLady
May 29th, 2019, 08:01 PM
I don't know if what I'm doing is necessarily the best method. But I keep a pair of scissors in my work bag so when I see the white dots in my hair, I can just snip it real quick. Or I just leave them be. They'll turn into split ends soon and then they'll get snipped off during my S&D's

I might just have to do that. I'd rather them not turn into full on splits if possible.

ExpectoPatronum
May 29th, 2019, 09:46 PM
I feel the same way, and I’m doing just that! Hiding those ends. Out of sight, out of mind :heartbeat

I definitely need to do updos more often.

Welcome to all newly joining

Good luck everyone.
Not focusing on your hair is the hardest part!

MoonChildCurls
May 30th, 2019, 01:49 AM
Hey everyone! Just checking in. So I decided to join this challenge last year and so far I haven't trimmed. Almost halfway through the year, too!

The-Young-Maid
May 30th, 2019, 03:10 PM
I think I can join this thread. My last trim was late December 18 or the first week of January. I trimmed about 2" or so and I've definitely grown that back and then some. I'd maintained it last year at waist to trim out taper from health/care related hair loss. Right now there's a natural taper but nothing severe like before.

I'm hopeful that I may actually make it to a nice solid classic by this time next year. Once I get there I want to microtrim to thicken the ends. Gawd I love thick ends lol It's been in mostly braids because of the heat here and its sitting at hip.

I have to learn to not be so critical about my ends as they grow. Getting to classic takes forever -_-

ExpectoPatronum
May 30th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Welcome to the thread, The-Young-Maid!

I'm learning to ignore my ends too. It's hard!

Kat-RinnŤ Naido
May 30th, 2019, 03:29 PM
Welcome The-Young-Maid. Good luck and happy growing.

lapushka
May 30th, 2019, 04:38 PM
You guys are doing so good!

Hang in there! :thumbsup:

raemarthe
May 31st, 2019, 07:35 PM
I'm seeing some white dots and breakage on some of my layers. The sun and pool water always gets to me at this time of year, so I did a major deep condition today and I think it helped. Still hanging on without any trims. I feel like I'm making real progress. I want to abstain from trims until summer 2020, but we'll see. My hair is finally starting to feel long after October's chop to shoulder. I think I'll be able to claim APL in a month or two!

leayellena
June 1st, 2019, 03:34 AM
I'm seeing some white dots and breakage on some of my layers. The sun and pool water always gets to me at this time of year, so I did a major deep condition today and I think it helped. Still hanging on without any trims. I feel like I'm making real progress. I want to abstain from trims until summer 2020, but we'll see. My hair is finally starting to feel long after October's chop to shoulder. I think I'll be able to claim APL in a month or two!

you can s&d (snip each and every split end or white dot)

leayellena
June 1st, 2019, 03:39 AM

oh yes! on my fine hair I can see split ends only at sub light. I do S&D in the morning when there's a lot of sublight in the kitchen or in the midd-day to evening where I have some natural light in the bathroom. of course there's the balcony, in the evening there's beautiful sun light but then I have fun together with my husband anmd I forget about my hair ;) in the winter I only do S&D at a lamp light haha

lapushka
June 1st, 2019, 10:33 AM
you can s&d (snip each and every split end or white dot)

If you have a lot, it will thin out the hair. Half of my hair was riddled in them, and we had to cut from hip to BSL because it had thinned about halfway through. The dots were high up the hair too. So it depends whether or not S&D is the way to go.

White dots can "hang on" for a long time, so it's no real need to snip them out with any hurry.
Keeping an eye on them = often enough, until you can trim.

ExpectoPatronum
June 1st, 2019, 02:01 PM
I tried ROO and it worked for the first day but then my ends started feeling dry again. I may try LOC to see if I can lock in some more moisture. In the meantime, I'm keeping my hair up and out of sight. I'm determined to get through this year without trimming!

lapushka
June 1st, 2019, 02:41 PM
I tried ROO and it worked for the first day but then my ends started feeling dry again. I may try LOC to see if I can lock in some more moisture. In the meantime, I'm keeping my hair up and out of sight. I'm determined to get through this year without trimming!

Being determined is half the battle! :thumbsup:

LittleHealthy
June 1st, 2019, 02:49 PM

Often I’d try to rewet my ends and add some oil over the top of them if they got dry before a wash. Sometimes in earlier days for me it would only be dry due to build-up. If I clarified and then added some oil over my ends while damp, that’s when I kept the most moisture in! :)

ExpectoPatronum
June 1st, 2019, 03:02 PM
Being determined is half the battle! :thumbsup:
Isn't that the truth

Often I’d try to rewet my ends and add some oil over the top of them if they got dry before a wash. Sometimes in earlier days for me it would only be dry due to build-up. If I clarified and then added some oil over my ends while damp, that’s when I kept the most moisture in! :)
Hm, I don't remember the last time I clarified. It might be time. Thanks for the tip!

raemarthe
June 2nd, 2019, 10:11 AM
I’m an avid S&Der, but only for split ends. No matter what I do with my hair I always seem to have white dots to some degree. I just try and leave them alone because they’re just on certain layers :)

Kat-RinnŤ Naido
June 2nd, 2019, 12:52 PM
I’m an avid S&Der, but only for split ends. No matter what I do with my hair I always seem to have white dots to some degree. I just try and leave them alone because they’re just on certain layers :)

Hi! Have you been deep conditioning regularly, what is your routine?
Maybe we could all brainstorm to assist you.

raemarthe
June 2nd, 2019, 02:43 PM
Itís only in my 3b curls, I think itís probably just a dryness/ fragility issue. The rest of my 2c-3a is much more resilient and doesnít break or get damage. The damage is never at my ends, just in random curly spots. These spots arenít even bleached, I purposefully did not highlight them (over a year ago) because I know how fragile they are. But yet theyíre doing worse than my bleached peices lol. Theyíre just damage prone. It isnít too much of an issue. I baby these sections more with extra conditioner and ect.

Kat-RinnŤ Naido
June 3rd, 2019, 01:27 PM
It’s only in my 3b curls, I think it’s probably just a dryness/ fragility issue. The rest of my 2c-3a is much more resilient and doesn’t break or get damage. The damage is never at my ends, just in random curly spots. These spots aren’t even bleached, I purposefully did not highlight them (over a year ago) because I know how fragile they are. But yet they’re doing worse than my bleached peices lol. They’re just damage prone. It isn’t too much of an issue. I baby these sections more with extra conditioner and ect.

I hope it corrects soon. It's definitely dryness.

ExpectoPatronum
June 4th, 2019, 02:05 PM
It’s only in my 3b curls, I think it’s probably just a dryness/ fragility issue. The rest of my 2c-3a is much more resilient and doesn’t break or get damage. The damage is never at my ends, just in random curly spots. These spots aren’t even bleached, I purposefully did not highlight them (over a year ago) because I know how fragile they are. But yet they’re doing worse than my bleached peices lol. They’re just damage prone. It isn’t too much of an issue. I baby these sections more with extra conditioner and ect.

I have this issue too. My wavy pieces are fine - it's the ringlets that get dry. I think you and I may be hair twins!

ETA: I tried the LOC method today using my usual oil mixture (jojoba and olive oils) and Confident Coils as my cream step. I think the MgSO4 is giving me the dry ends and if it's still an issue, I'll be switching to Spiralicious which is free from MgSO4.

raemarthe
June 4th, 2019, 06:01 PM
Wrong Thread

LittleHealthy
June 5th, 2019, 03:21 AM

Yes, sometimes it’s best to just ignore them if you can’t seem to get rid of them. They’ll hold on ok, mine mostly do!

Ilyem
June 5th, 2019, 05:44 AM
I really want to trim my hair at the moment but the main thing that is stopping me bar being in this challenge is that I am only a few millimetres away from APL and once I do reach it I don't want to go back into shoulder length territory. I've been at SL for wayyyyy too long now to ruin my chance of getting out by trimming.

CrazyPlantLady
June 5th, 2019, 08:54 AM
I really want to trim my hair at the moment but the main thing that is stopping me bar being in this challenge is that I am only a few millimetres away from APL and once I do reach it I don't want to go back into shoulder length territory. I've been at SL for wayyyyy too long now to ruin my chance of getting out by trimming.

Yes, same! I have some white dots I would like to trim off, but then I'd have to grow back the length that I just cut off, and I'm so close to APL I don't want to set myself back further.

LittleHealthy
June 5th, 2019, 12:31 PM

Resist! The longer it is, the easier it will be to do a nice bun to keep it out of sight and out of mind! :)

Kat-RinnŤ Naido
June 5th, 2019, 01:10 PM
Hang in there. You can do this. Dont look at your ends. Just ignore them. But treat them well, moisturise if you need to. But just don't look at them.

Good luck.

ExpectoPatronum
June 5th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Still struggling with dry ends even after using the LOC method. My next step is to eliminate drying products from my hair routine. I'm fairly certain the dryness stems from magnesium sulfate in my styling products. I know salts like that tend to encourage curl but my hair doesn't do well with long-term use of that ingredient. Thankfully I do have a product that doesn't contain it and I will use that product on my next wash. In the meantime, I'm keeping my ends oiled and my hair in a bun. Out of sight, out of mind.

LittleHealthy
June 6th, 2019, 04:22 AM
*sneaks in the back entrance* hiiii, I trimmed. Technically, it was a trim. I think it was only about 20 hairs, if that, but yeah. My hemline just randomly had this little chunk that was about an inch ahead of the rest and it looked quite uneven (I’ll put a little photo here)
https://i.postimg.cc/TyWp3kv6/ADA92328-25-C0-47-D1-BB6-B-A5-C7-B0-D4-CF52.jpg (https://postimg.cc/TyWp3kv6)
yes my hair has some braid waves in the photo but that longer bit on the left is always there, and because I love measuring it always seemed like cheating :laugh: when the majority of my hair was about an inch behind it!!

ANYWAY I don’t regret it. Yes I’ve lost length I guess, but what’s a tiny tuft of hair? My hair looks so much nicer now, just like October last year when I trimmed, except much more straight this time, thank goodness!! :D
Here is a photo of the hair I cut off :laugh: see? It’s barely anything. But anyway, it was a trim nonetheless!
https://i.postimg.cc/SYGXpJFY/E421-FA1-A-BC8-B-4-D4-D-B1-E7-B55-B9-B2-BCB2-F.jpg (https://postimg.cc/SYGXpJFY)
Happy growing, folks, I’ll be joining the ‘No Trimming for second half of 2019’ clan.

Edit: to add, I used a creaclip (a fake one from eBay ha ha) to get a straight cut. Haven’t got any photos yet as I put a braid in after it. So I’ll take a photo after my next wash day I think!

lapushka
June 6th, 2019, 09:40 AM
I trimmed as well. In March, and now again (Feye's method) in early June (this Monday). It was about half a cm of hairs (my very ends/tips), so not much either, but a trim is a trim. LittleHealthy, you're right about that. This is not just S&D, wasn't for me either.

I do plan on sticking to the second half, though. :)

LittleHealthy
June 6th, 2019, 11:13 AM
I trimmed as well. In March, and now again (Feye's method) in early June (this Monday). It was about half a cm of hairs (my very ends/tips), so not much either, but a trim is a trim. LittleHealthy, you're right about that. This is not just S&D, wasn't for me either.

I do plan on sticking to the second half, though. :)

Yes, I don’t plan on trimming again! If my hemline ends up uneven to the same kind of extreme then I will consider it, but really I was set with an uneven hemline from my last trim in October and it slowly got more dramatic from there. It took 8 months to get this uneven though. So I shouldn’t need to touch mine for a long time again!

hannabiss
June 6th, 2019, 03:00 PM
I may not make it through the 2019 challenge. I realized I have a few extra extra long sections on my left side. While I wont be cutting my entire hemline just the chunks, I think its best to say I couldnt make it for the 2019 year. But will be continuing for the second half of year.

LittleHealthy
June 6th, 2019, 03:06 PM
I may not make it through the 2019 challenge. I realized I have a few extra extra long sections on my left side. While I wont be cutting my entire hemline just the chunks, I think its best to say I couldnt make it for the 2019 year. But will be continuing for the second half of year.

I did exactly this, too, yesterday!

ExpectoPatronum
June 6th, 2019, 03:37 PM
I wish you guys luck for the rest of 2019. Is there anyone here who's still in this challenge?

Tinyponies
June 6th, 2019, 04:08 PM
Hey, I’m in still. I have continually faffed about whether or not to trim at solstice, but now I’m leaning towards not. To say I don’t need it might be a bit too strong, I do have loads of split hairs and white dots. But I don’t believe a small trim will fix even half, and I don’t want to microtrim (I'm a bit of an all-or-nothing type of person. It’s easier to step away from the scissors). Recently I’ve got better at keeping my ends more moisturised and that’s sorted out my Velcro ends issue.

So, onward we grow. I suspect that I only even think about it due to reading here about others trimming, and it’s a little case of joining in with everyone. It’s not something I’ve ever done regularly. If and when the day comes that I really ought to trim, I’m going to trust that I’ll just know.

ExpectoPatronum
June 6th, 2019, 04:40 PM
Tinyponies, do you mind if I ask what you do to keep your ends moisturized? I'm struggling with that right now and it makes it hard to not trim at times. Wearing my hair up helps, but I still notice velcro when I'm in the process of wearing my hair up.

Vacurlylady
June 6th, 2019, 05:00 PM
I wish you guys luck for the rest of 2019. Is there anyone here who's still in this challenge?

Iím still in! ☺️ I havenít trimmed since January of 2018. But my hair is relatively short for LHC standards. Iím growing onward tho! 💪🏻 And happy as can be. Not sure if I will do a micro trim the beginning of January 2020 or not.

Tinyponies
June 6th, 2019, 08:53 PM
Tinyponies, do you mind if I ask what you do to keep your ends moisturized? I'm struggling with that right now and it makes it hard to not trim at times. Wearing my hair up helps, but I still notice velcro when I'm in the process of wearing my hair up.

Hey, well I’m really a hair care newb still, I joined only just over six months ago. I’m following advice I got here: wcc or cwc (sometimes wccc even) with roo in there along the way. Wetting and oiling ends around midweek. My fine straightish hair seems to show up any oil no matter what I do (so far) but it hardly matters since I’m wearing my hair up in a bun most (90%) of the time, and at night it’s in my silk cap. Having ends tucked away in protective styles seems to help a lot too with keeping them happy, I envision it like keeping them in the middle of the forest rather than being the trees at the edge. They definitely love the warm environment of the sleep cap, sometimes I’ll wear it all day if I’ve got no reason not to, and they just come out silkier. Not combing other than right before a wash. Avoiding drying shampoos as much as possible. They just seem to be so much better than they were, but I’m also asking less of them like not manipulating them much, being very gentle and keeping them tucked away.

You might be able to get away with more oils with your beautiful curls, Expecto. My dh has ringlets and he’s been having great success with a shampoo bar. He recently used a producty shampoo and really missed that feeling of non stripped hair that he had with the shampoo bar. (I used the shampoo too, and feel the same, but I haven’t found the right balance yet for myself of natural oils and gentle cleanser that doesn’t feel like it’s building up. Maybe I’m rubbish at rinsing, or something - still need to get around to experimenting more with acid rinse and cold water final rinse).

ETA what a ramble! Sorry about that. :couch:

ExpectoPatronum
June 6th, 2019, 09:31 PM
I do everything you've mentioned besides wetting and oilig my ends midweek. I think I might have to give that a shot. Thank you so much for sharing that information - it was very helpful. You're right in that I probably could get away with oiling my hair more. I think I'm at a length now where I should really think more about protecting my ends both by oiling and by wearing my hair up. I love wearing my hair down but I think that's preventing me from achieving super long lengths. That, and the fact that I always trimmed my ends as soon as they started feeling dry rather than trying to take better care of them.

Agava
June 7th, 2019, 01:57 AM

I'm still here. My last mini trim was in November 2018.

Tinyponies
June 7th, 2019, 02:14 AM
I do everything you've mentioned besides wetting and oilig my ends midweek. I think I might have to give that a shot. Thank you so much for sharing that information - it was very helpful. You're right in that I probably could get away with oiling my hair more. I think I'm at a length now where I should really think more about protecting my ends both by oiling and by wearing my hair up. I love wearing my hair down but I think that's preventing me from achieving super long lengths. That, and the fact that I always trimmed my ends as soon as they started feeling dry rather than trying to take better care of them.

I saw you posted on the hair up challenge thread, thatís probably the best idea. You could give it a month (or three, given that weíre coming up to solstice) and then see. Does having it up all day affect your curls? I get you on wanting to wear it down, now I mostly enjoy my hair down for a couple of hours when winding down for the night.

One more thing is I wear a head wrap when I go out, most of the time. My hairs so fine and Iíve a bazillion baby hairs that whip around, get in my mouth and tangle. The weathers almost always either too hot or too wet and windy, and Iím always outside. I donít look super cool or beautiful but I enjoy having happy hair more.

I wonder if part of the reason many of us could have our hair down with seemingly less damage when we were kids was because our lives themselves were more sheltered.

desisparkles
June 7th, 2019, 03:25 AM
I'm still in too! I find it the hardest not to trim away my silver scragglies that are showing up behind my bangs but I'm in it until the end. (I don't want to trim the silvers that look norm it's just the uber skitso ones that bug me). Now come 2020 I may trim just a few scragglies but so far so good.

Ilyem
June 7th, 2019, 04:47 AM

I'm still in the challenge. My last trim was in December and I'm excited to gain length quickly by simply not cutting. Yeah my hair may not look perfect but I feel that it will look better longer and that I will finally be happier with it.

Ilyem
June 7th, 2019, 04:57 AM
I wonder if part of the reason many of us could have our hair down with seemingly less damage when we were kids was because our lives themselves were more sheltered.

I don't see how our mental state of having a sheltered life would affect the quality of hair except maybe that when somebody is stressed sometimes a side affect of that is hair loss. The reasons for children having nicer hair is that young adolescents usually have the most number of hairs on their head. Also young children don't use heat or dye on their hair and if their parents brush their hair gently rather than letting the child rip through it (like most do) and braid it then all the better. Plus remembering that the body of a child is smaller than that of an adult the same length of hair looks longer allowing the child to get more trims which get rid of damage but still retaining long hair.

Tinyponies
June 7th, 2019, 08:19 AM
I don't see how our mental state of having a sheltered life would affect the quality of hair except maybe that when somebody is stressed sometimes a side affect of that is hair loss. The reasons for children having nicer hair is that young adolescents usually have the most number of hairs on their head. Also young children don't use heat or dye on their hair and if their parents brush their hair gently rather than letting the child rip through it (like most do) and braid it then all the better. Plus remembering that the body of a child is smaller than that of an adult the same length of hair looks longer allowing the child to get more trims which get rid of damage but still retaining long hair.

Yep, all this ^ though I was thinking of how much more physical my life is nowadays. But thatís specific to me. Iím a sucker for dreaming up theories.

Eve-Jade-Day
June 7th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Haven't trimmed this year (yay!)

Thinking of maybe going another year (2020) without a trim if condition still good after this years' challenge. I gave up heat and styling my hair in any way lately, so I guess the health of my hair isn't in danger. What is bothering me is the way the ends thin out when you let your hair grow out naturally and how many layers there are...

But if I can put it all up etc by the end of this year... No trim 2020 it is!

I love me some combos.

hannabiss
June 7th, 2019, 10:41 AM
Im still in. Decided against trimming the longer bits. I know myself if I peek in the door I slam it open all the way. If I think I'll just trim this part Ill hack off a bunch.

Kat-RinnŤ Naido
June 7th, 2019, 01:17 PM
I'm still in. I started In June 2016. My last cut was in May 2016. The only time the scissors touched my hair has been to s&d which is now rare.

CrazyPlantLady
June 7th, 2019, 02:24 PM
I'm still here! I'm not planning on cutting this year, my ends seem fine for now so it seems like I'll make through no problems.

ExpectoPatronum
June 7th, 2019, 06:36 PM
I saw you posted on the hair up challenge thread, that’s probably the best idea. You could give it a month (or three, given that we’re coming up to solstice) and then see. Does having it up all day affect your curls? I get you on wanting to wear it down, now I mostly enjoy my hair down for a couple of hours when winding down for the night.

One more thing is I wear a head wrap when I go out, most of the time. My hairs so fine and I’ve a bazillion baby hairs that whip around, get in my mouth and tangle. The weathers almost always either too hot or too wet and windy, and I’m always outside. I don’t look super cool or beautiful but I enjoy having happy hair more.

Wearing it up actually pulls out all of my curl so that I'm left with straightish waves. The benefit to that is that it stretches my hair so that it looks longer than when it's curly.

Also hello to everyone who's still in the challenge. We can do this!

ReadingRenee
June 7th, 2019, 06:47 PM
Im here! My last trim was Dec 31 2018. I have been contemplating dropping out though... my ends are starting to look just a little uneven and wispy. Not bad really, and not broken or split, amazingly enough. I don't know, we will see. Happy to see others still in it!

Simsy
June 8th, 2019, 02:25 AM
Hey look, itís June. :o :surprise: oh....itís June already...what happened to May? Iím sure we were still in May...

Iím still in the challenge. Itís winter in Australia and Iím still working 70hrs a week on average; so my hair is spending 6 days a week shoved in a bun. Iím detangling every 2nd or 3rd day, depending on work hours and energy. So far, itís holding up really well.

FennFire911
June 8th, 2019, 01:51 PM
I'm still here! I don't really update much because nothing has changed lol. Well, obviously my length has changed. Otherwise, I'm not really doing a lot of new things or trying new techniques. I guess one minor change, I can now wash every 4th day instead of needing to every 3rd day. The heat and humidity of spring and early summer here in Satan's armpit (Georgia) doesn't seem to be making my scalp oilier than in colder weather.
But anyway, nothing awesome and exciting around here. Just hanging in there.

ExpectoPatronum
June 8th, 2019, 03:38 PM
Glad to see you're still in, FennFire911.

Today is wash day for me and I'm going to be using WCC and ROO along with LOC to see if I can combat my velcro ends. I've been oiling them nightly and it's helped somewhat. I think skipping the products that contain magnesium sulfate will be helpful.

Tinyponies
June 8th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Glad to see you're still in, FennFire911.

Today is wash day for me and I'm going to be using WCC and ROO along with LOC to see if I can combat my velcro ends. I've been oiling them nightly and it's helped somewhat. I think skipping the products that contain magnesium sulfate will be helpful.
Did you see the recent comments about letting hair clump in the “making wavy hair more wavy” thread? Pretty awesome realisation for me that I don’t actually *have* to be able to get my fingers through my hair on any given day. So I’m going to let my ends clump (they love to) and leave it at that until my next wash day. (This may be old news to you, as a curly, if so, my apologies! But I thought it highly relevant with regard to minimising damage and coddling our ends).

ExpectoPatronum
June 8th, 2019, 04:39 PM
Tinyponies, I do already do that. In fact I use the prayerhands method to distribute my stylers after my leave-in conditioner. I find it helps smooth out frizz and gives me good clumps. It might work for your waves too, especially if you scrunch at the end.

Tinyponies
June 8th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Tinyponies, I do already do that. In fact I use the prayerhands method to distribute my stylers after my leave-in conditioner. I find it helps smooth out frizz and gives me good clumps. It might work for your waves too, especially if you scrunch at the end.

Thanks, I will! Iíve recently ordered my first leave in, should have it next week. Looking forward to trying :)

ExpectoPatronum
June 8th, 2019, 04:53 PM
Thanks, I will! I’ve recently ordered my first leave in, should have it next week. Looking forward to trying :)

Ooh, which leave in did you order?

Tinyponies
June 8th, 2019, 05:21 PM
Ooh, which leave in did you order?
Shea moisture jbco - the one in a pot. Iíve been advised here that itís runny and easy to use too much! So wish me luck as a compulsive over-oiler!! Hahaa

Ylva
June 8th, 2019, 05:36 PM
Shea moisture jbco - the one in a pot. I’ve been advised here that it’s runny and easy to use too much! So wish me luck as a compulsive over-oiler!! Hahaa

That's a powerful one! I recently decided to use mine up as a deep conditioner because I was having too much trouble not making my hair all sticky with it. It was too unforgiving for me.

ExpectoPatronum
June 8th, 2019, 05:39 PM
I've wanted to try that one. I actually love the deep conditioner from that line and am on my second or third jar of it. I hope you like it!

Tinyponies
June 8th, 2019, 09:31 PM
Thanks Ylva yeah noted, Iíll probably make a mess with it tbf. Oily I can rock, though if it feels sticky I probably wonít like that. I hope itíll be useable but if not, the ends of my soís 3b ish curls might appreciate it. I had been dithering for ages and needed to take the plunge. Good to know it might function as a deep conditioner, I havenít braved that yet, other than my legendary over oilings. !

cjk
June 8th, 2019, 09:57 PM
Still going strong, no trims. Not even any split ends. Curly Girl is amazing!

Longlegs
June 9th, 2019, 12:30 AM
I'm doing a few more 'search and destroy' sessions, but I can see it's getting longer and I don't have the urge to go to a hairdresser.

CosmoCat
June 9th, 2019, 04:21 AM
I planned to avoid any trimming, but I broke down and cut a couple inches of my bangs and also sides...bluntly. It looks ridiculous, but I plan to have the sides blended into the back.

lapushka
June 9th, 2019, 06:05 AM
I am really rooting for you guys who are still in this challenge.

I trimmed for the 3rd time this year. From FTL+ to classic in March with the compact cut layering method (ponytail on forehead), and now twice in June, twice an inch with Feye's method.

I am joining the second half and hope to get through that, in one piece (LOL).

Agava
June 9th, 2019, 06:44 AM
Lapushka, 3 times? When, how?? Was the second time uneven, that you had to correct it? Couldn't you wait until 30th, to start next 6 month with fresh fresh trim?

Genne
June 9th, 2019, 08:06 AM
I am so, so glad that I joined this challenge as soon as I joined this site! Otherwise I might be tempted to S&D, (and even though that is allowed, it isn't for me because I will S&D 2 inches.)

Fingers crossed to see what can happen in the the rest of the year, and then to start again after a trim in January.

Jen

ExpectoPatronum
June 9th, 2019, 09:36 AM
I'm rooting for all of us still in the challenge.

Through a combination of methods I was able to remedy the worst of my dry ends. I still have some dryness, but it's much improved from before.

lapushka
June 9th, 2019, 10:09 AM
Lapushka, 3 times? When, how?? Was the second time uneven, that you had to correct it? Couldn't you wait until 30th, to start next 6 month with fresh fresh trim?

I first went from FTL+ back to classic, in March (compact, layered, cut)
Then in June I cut last week, and it's like it grew an inch overnight. I could take another inch off today easily (Feye's blunt cut) and I am still classic, full on, right below the bum cheeks.

No, not uneven, I just want to keep my classic hemline, and since I cut in the first half, I might as well maintain that hemline.

I will be joining and have joined the second half, though.

Tinyponies
June 9th, 2019, 10:39 AM
I'm rooting for all of us still in the challenge.

Through a combination of methods I was able to remedy the worst of my dry ends. I still have some dryness, but it's much improved from before.

Yay great stuff! :cheer:

Agava
June 9th, 2019, 10:57 AM
I first went from FTL+ back to classic, in March (compact, layered, cut)
Then in June I cut last week, and it's like it grew an inch overnight. I could take another inch off today easily (Feye's blunt cut) and I am still classic, full on, right below the bum cheeks.

No, not uneven, I just want to keep my classic hemline, and since I cut in the first half, I might as well maintain that hemline.

I will be joining and have joined the second half, though.

Nice! It's very serious length, still.

lapushka
June 9th, 2019, 11:23 AM
Nice! It's very serious length, still.

Classic = a nice length, it suits me and it makes my hair nice & manageable. I can go to FTL and stretch it, but beyond that is just way too much to handle for me.

ExpectoPatronum
June 13th, 2019, 12:32 PM
I'm happy to report that my hair is actually retaining length again. The very tips of my ends are still dry, but the rest of it seems fairly happy and moisturized. I no longer feel the urge to trim my hair :)

lapushka
June 13th, 2019, 12:42 PM
I'm happy to report that my hair is actually retaining length again. The very tips of my ends are still dry, but the rest of it seems fairly happy and moisturized. I no longer feel the urge to trim my hair :)

That's awesome! :)

Tinyponies
June 13th, 2019, 05:14 PM
Thatís really cool :)

Still finding new ways to add moisture. I mixed my roo oil straight into my first conditioner this time and that helped me to spread it through my hair better. My new Shea moisture leave in arrived and thatís had its first try too. Early to say but it seems to have drank it up (I used only a small amount, two fingertips added to my ends only).

My ends are actually shiny, weíve come a long way from when I joined here.

https://i.imgur.com/fHy6WE2.jpg

ETA paranoid that I bought a counterfeit product, because mineís not runny, I did some research... turns out I bought the jbco masque, not the leave in. Whoops! Rookie error. :blush:

zmirina
June 13th, 2019, 11:11 PM
It got a lot easier to not pay attention to my hair once semester ended. I've been S&Ding more and more often as semester was coming to a close.... And now I just don't care

zmirina
June 13th, 2019, 11:12 PM
That’s really cool :)

Still finding new ways to add moisture. I mixed my roo oil straight into my first conditioner this time and that helped me to spread it through my hair better. My new Shea moisture leave in arrived and that’s had its first try too. Early to say but it seems to have drank it up (I used only a small amount, two fingertips added to my ends only).

My ends are actually shiny, we’ve come a long way from when I joined here.

ETA paranoid that I bought a counterfeit product, because mine’s not runny, I did some research... turns out I bought the jbco masque, not the leave in. Whoops! Rookie error. :blush:

Your ends seem to be in great condition. I find that adding moisture often pretty much removes the damaged appearance from my ends

Tinyponies
June 14th, 2019, 04:32 AM
Your ends seem to be in great condition. I find that adding moisture often pretty much removes the damaged appearance from my ends

Thanks and yep it’s all new to me, good to know it’s the same for others too. This has really helped and means they’ve become something of a non issue after years of feeling like they would instantly tangle. Now I can breathe a big sigh of relief and focus on something else, like growing my fingernails nicely or something.

NeonPink
June 15th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Hello everyone!
I'm kind of new here, is it too late to join this thread? Last time I trimmed my hair was in November of 2018 when i chopped off around 12cm... Since then I've only done S&D occasionally and I want to stay away from trimming for as long as I can :)

lapushka
June 16th, 2019, 05:51 AM
Hello everyone!
I'm kind of new here, is it too late to join this thread? Last time I trimmed my hair was in November of 2018 when i chopped off around 12cm... Since then I've only done S&D occasionally and I want to stay away from trimming for as long as I can :)

No it's never too late to join! :) Welcome! :D

ExpectoPatronum
June 16th, 2019, 10:36 AM

Still finding new ways to add moisture. I mixed my roo oil straight into my first conditioner this time and that helped me to spread it through my hair better. My new Shea moisture leave in arrived and that’s had its first try too. Early to say but it seems to have drank it up (I used only a small amount, two fingertips added to my ends only).

ETA paranoid that I bought a counterfeit product, because mine’s not runny, I did some research... turns out I bought the jbco masque, not the leave in. Whoops! Rookie error. :blush:

Your ends look fantastic - very happy and healthy. I actually love the JBCO mask and use it weekly.

lapushka
June 17th, 2019, 07:57 AM
Guys, my hair grows like *mad* these past few months. I cut another half inch, and now I reach full classic again. I cut on wet (damp) hair this time. I can't have it grow longer, it's just a thing with me.

Just used Feye's method.

I think I will compact cut (ponytail on forehead) every January of each year. And then I will "maintain" throughout the 1st half of the challenge (w/ Feye's); then I will leave my mitts off the 2nd half so I can again compact cut in January. I think that is the best option for me.

I don't want longer than classic; and I don't want to keep maintaining it all the time either. I still want to participate in at least one of the challenges! As it stands now!

Tinyponies
June 17th, 2019, 10:13 AM
Your ends look fantastic - very happy and healthy. I actually love the JBCO mask and use it weekly.
I have loads of mech damage but the more moisture/conditioning I get in my hair the less they show (like zmirina said) or catch on stuff. I used the mask last night properly lol, hair seems great though the shedding was quite alarming.

LongHairM
June 17th, 2019, 12:14 PM

Your ends look better than my roots :D
This might be a dumb question, but how do you add moisture to your hair? :oops: I understand that oils help retain the moisture, but how do I get it in there in the first place? What are some products/diy/ingredients that I should use on my dry hair? I'm pretty new here and still trying to figure out a routine for my hair

Ylva
June 17th, 2019, 12:28 PM
This might be a dumb question, but how do you add moisture to your hair? :oops: I understand that oils help retain the moisture, but how do I get it in there in the first place? What are some products/diy/ingredients that I should use on my dry hair? I'm pretty new here and still trying to figure out a routine for my hair

Moisture = water. When your hair absorbs water, it has moisture in it. You can attract it with humectants (glycerin, panthenol, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride [a film-forming humectant] etc.), but if the air is drier than your hair, humectants will draw moisture out of your hair instead.

Tinyponies
June 17th, 2019, 12:43 PM
Dear LongHair, welcome! No such thing as a dumb question. Iím pretty much a newb too and have spent months reading and Iím just now getting somewhere so try not to rush or worry, thereís a lot to take in.

One thing Iíd suggest is keep an eye out for people with your hair/skin type and similar preferences (cones etc) who are in your country for a guide to products. Often their routine is listed on their profile page.

Iím working with hyper sensitive skin and mech damage but no dye/heat, experimenting with trying to keep my scalp happy and ends hydrated.

As important (if not more so) as what products is handling and styling your hair appropriately for your type, protecting it from unnecessary damage/drying day and night, and drinking enough water/eating right.

For more specific advice I must defer to the more experienced members here, if lapushka comments : take her advice :thumbsup:

Nice to meet you :) and thanks for the compliment. In march 2018 my ends looked like this! Shield your eyes!

https://i.imgur.com/uxrMXmg.jpg

Simsy
June 17th, 2019, 04:37 PM

I like to use conditioner mostly and just let it sit for 10 mins or so. You can also get treatment/moisturising masks usually from the same aisle as the shampoo. I apply those between the shampoo and conditioner when needed. Most haircare brands will have a moisturising mask of some description as part of their range; thatís usually a good spot to start. I use a treatment from Argan Oil of Morocco; they have a rinse-rinse hair mask and a leave-in hair butter that I use when my hair is being particularly painful. Itís not the cheapest stuff on offer but my hair likes the argan oil.

You can also google or Pinterest diy hair masks and get a few thousands recipes made from foods. Stuff like avocado, egg, mayonnaise; are all options. Just be aware that not all diy recipes are sensible or pleasant so buyer beware on these.

LongHairM
June 18th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Thank you Ylva, Tinyponies, and Simsy :o I will try some diys before buying a new product because god knows I don't need any more products lying around :eek:
Tinyponies my ends right now are not any better haha. Even if you're not an expert, I would love to hear your routine!

zmirina
June 18th, 2019, 06:52 PM
It seems like my hair stopped growing. The measurement has stayed the same since April, although I swear the undyed root got longer. I'm thinking of trying color oops on my hair to get out some of the dye, which was supposed to be a toner, but it has stayed in since February.

zmirina
June 25th, 2019, 01:23 PM
I've tried to SD my hair today, and only found a couple of damaged hairs. I guess the main damage happened during the highliting process, and as long as I don't abuse it, I'll be fine possibly even through first half of 2020

FennFire911
June 25th, 2019, 07:56 PM
S&D seems to be helping me out. I haven't trimmed and am not currently struggling with the urge to. I've pretty much only been measuring with each solstice and equinox, but this time I had to wait a few days for DH to get home so I didn't get it measured until today. But between January and March I only got a half inch total and I was worried so I measured again in April and saw some growth. Total this quarter is that I was 37" on spring equinox and now have racers at 39" with the summer solstice. You won't catch me complaining about 2" in 3 months.
DH said during measuring that I'm only an inch away from classic at this point, that on the measuring tape my classic will be 40". (I love being short lol) So my goal of classic by Christmas might very well be met with classic before autumn equinox.
I'm still dealing with not liking now faerie-taled my ends are, but my plan is to trim racers quarterly next year and keep being patient. The thickness of undamaged hair is definitely traveling down, and is now somewhere just past waist. I just have to keep babying it and slowly micro trimming, bit by bit my damage will be gone.
I'll post pics later. The kids are demanding I go play video games, so of course I simply must! :D

dancedance
June 25th, 2019, 08:40 PM
This is the thread I meant to join earlier but accidentally joined the 2020 thread. Guess I'm in for both!

Genne
June 25th, 2019, 09:33 PM
S&D seems to be helping me out. I haven't trimmed and am not currently struggling with the urge to. I've pretty much only been measuring with each solstice and equinox, but this time I had to wait a few days for DH to get home so I didn't get it measured until today. But between January and March I only got a half inch total and I was worried so I measured again in April and saw some growth. Total this quarter is that I was 37" on spring equinox and now have racers at 39" with the summer solstice. You won't catch me complaining about 2" in 3 months.
DH said during measuring that I'm only an inch away from classic at this point, that on the measuring tape my classic will be 40". (I love being short lol) So my goal of classic by Christmas might very well be met with classic before autumn equinox.
I'm still dealing with not liking now faerie-taled my ends are, but my plan is to trim racers quarterly next year and keep being patient. The thickness of undamaged hair is definitely traveling down, and is now somewhere just past waist. I just have to keep babying it and slowly micro trimming, bit by bit my damage will be gone.
I'll post pics later. The kids are demanding I go play video games, so of course I simply must! :D

Hello,
Encouragement to you and thank you to this thread. I like your measurement timelines, (I'm new here.) Since I just used henna nearly a month ago I have new root growth as a measurement.

I'm also dealing with alopecia and thin hair to start with but am finding some encouragement here. I'm not sure how I've grown a half inch worth of root in the last month but, it doesn't feel like I've got growth at the length end?! :)
Maybe I'll notice it more next month.
:)
Jen

FennFire911
June 26th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Hello,
Encouragement to you and thank you to this thread. I like your measurement timelines, (I'm new here.) Since I just used henna nearly a month ago I have new root growth as a measurement.

I'm also dealing with alopecia and thin hair to start with but am finding some encouragement here. I'm not sure how I've grown a half inch worth of root in the last month but, it doesn't feel like I've got growth at the length end?! :)
Maybe I'll notice it more next month.
:)
Jen

We frequently deal with 2 separate issues regarding our hair getting longer. First is growth rate, which yours sounds perfectly normal. The other is length retention. You could be dealing with breakage at the ends which would explain for you seeing plenty of growth at the roots but a lack of gain in lengths. Gotta baby those ends! :)

LongHairM
June 29th, 2019, 05:47 AM
So I decided I will trim between the challenges and not go a full year. I haven't trimmed my hair in 8 months and it's bleached, so the ends are rough and dry. Also, it's starting to get a weird uneven shape. I really wanted to go as long as possible and only trim when my ends are really split and see through, but I don't enjoy my hair and I would really like to get rid of more bleach. I need to take off at least an inch.
So.. I'm out!:couch:

S&S
June 30th, 2019, 05:12 PM
We frequently deal with 2 separate issues regarding our hair getting longer. First is growth rate, which yours sounds perfectly normal. The other is length retention. You could be dealing with breakage at the ends which would explain for you seeing plenty of growth at the roots but a lack of gain in lengths. Gotta baby those ends! :)

Length retention is probably the biggest reason I can't get to waist... then again I was always really really harsh on my hair :mad:

Kat-RinnŤ Naido
July 1st, 2019, 02:44 AM
I'm still here.
My hair has been a bit dry and tangly for the last two weeks. I have been spritzing and lightly oiling between washes. I did an s&d yesterday after noticing some splits.

shaluwm_agape
July 1st, 2019, 03:03 AM
Checking in! Still going strong no urge to trim

CrazyPlantLady
July 2nd, 2019, 09:02 AM
Just completed the first half and still going strong! No splits so far, just an uneven hemline which isn't that noticeable unless I straighten it, which is not that often.

Vacurlylady
July 2nd, 2019, 09:17 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/htZWkz1S/8-CED320-B-2615-4849-8-BF4-63-E8-B3-D5-DDAA.jpg (https://postimg.cc/nXmP7LW5)

This might not be the best picture. My hair has been in a bun for the past week. It has been 18 months since any kind of trim whatsoever. Which is huge for me since Iíve been a pixie gal for more than 10 years! I donít have an urge to trim at all and Iím not sure of the length I want to grow to. Iíve never had it this long before! ☺️

Iím anxious to see where I am on 01/2020!

shaluwm_agape
July 2nd, 2019, 09:29 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/htZWkz1S/8-CED320-B-2615-4849-8-BF4-63-E8-B3-D5-DDAA.jpg (https://postimg.cc/nXmP7LW5)

This might not be the best picture. My hair has been in a bun for the past week. It has been 18 months since any kind of trim whatsoever. Which is huge for me since I’ve been a pixie gal for more than 10 years! I don’t have an urge to trim at all and I’m not sure of the length I want to grow to. I’ve never had it this long before! ☺️

I’m anxious to see where I am on 01/2020!

Yay! Your hair looks so great! I think the "it's never been this long before" milestone is such a rewarding one

guska
July 3rd, 2019, 02:47 AM
My ends are so uneven it's not even funny :lol: Maybe I should've just joined the No trimming 2019 - first half but now... *there's no going back*. Half a year left!

Kat-RinnŤ Naido
July 3rd, 2019, 08:02 AM
My ends are so uneven it's not even funny :lol: Maybe I should've just joined the No trimming 2019 - first half but now... *there's no going back*. Half a year left!

I know the uneven ends of mine hurts my eye.
I'm pushing on and shall trim at the end of the challenge.

Vacurlylady
July 3rd, 2019, 11:14 AM
Yay! Your hair looks so great! I think the "it's never been this long before" milestone is such a rewarding one

Thank you so much. You are so right about the ďitís never been this long beforeĒ milestone. I never really thought about that before. I know it sounds silly but I have hair that I can put up in a bun! Never, ever have I done that. I had to ask a friend how to do it. And I really only know one way, but Iím sure it will come in time. ☺️

shaluwm_agape
July 3rd, 2019, 12:39 PM
Yes and some more length! At new stages you can learn different buns! Have you bought any hairtoys as well?

Vacurlylady
July 3rd, 2019, 02:46 PM
Yes and some more length! At new stages you can learn different buns! Have you bought any hairtoys as well?

Yes I have! And I keep trying. I have four different sizes of flexi-8ís and two hair sticks. Iím having trouble feeling comfortable with the flexi-8ís not feeling secure and ends falling out almost immediately. I can do a half up with my smallest one, but with it being summer Iím not wanting to wear my hair down right now. 😎 I will keep trying to make it feel secure and I know with the longer it gets the better it will be.

shaluwm_agape
July 3rd, 2019, 04:46 PM
You can try a french twist just youtube it. It's perfect for that length

lapushka
July 3rd, 2019, 04:48 PM

This might not be the best picture. My hair has been in a bun for the past week. It has been 18 months since any kind of trim whatsoever. Which is huge for me since I’ve been a pixie gal for more than 10 years! I don’t have an urge to trim at all and I’m not sure of the length I want to grow to. I’ve never had it this long before! ☺️

I’m anxious to see where I am on 01/2020!

That is amazing growth. I can't wait to see either! :D

ExpectoPatronum
July 5th, 2019, 02:25 PM
I impulsively got my hair cut yesterday so I'm no longer a part of this challenge. I just hopped over to the other thread for the second half of 2019. It feels nice to have healthy ends again.

lapushka
July 6th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Healthy ends over length any time! Glad you joined the 2nd half! :D

ExpectoPatronum
July 7th, 2019, 04:34 PM
Thanks Lapushka!

I wish everyone good luck with the rest of the challenge.

Simsy
July 8th, 2019, 07:34 AM
Hair care while living in a truck is a really good way to go full ďbenign neglectĒ without feeling even a bit guilty. Iíve combed my hair twice in a week; oiled both times and shoved it straight back up. Itís holding for now; but Iím going to have a few spilts to handle when I eventually get a chance to wash it. I might see about giving it a deep treatment and letting it soak for a while before I clean it; the ends will definitely need some TLC by then. Another 4 days before Iím home and near my gear; Let the countdown continue.

raemarthe
July 8th, 2019, 08:33 PM
I'm still here, 9 months trim free and counting.

Vacurlylady
July 8th, 2019, 10:53 PM
That is amazing growth. I can't wait to see either! :D

Thank you Lapushka.. Time passes oh so quickly. Iím quite sure the end of this challenge will be here before we know it. 😃

illicitlizard
July 11th, 2019, 03:05 AM
I think I'm gonna hang around this thread for a bit, I missed the first half/second half year trim window so I'm gonna try and push it to the end of the year. Haven't trimmed since.. last October I think? Ends still look good so why not push myself for the whole of 2019 trim free!

eresh
July 11th, 2019, 08:32 AM
I'm on this challenge too :o
Length first now, trim later!

pixitolong
July 11th, 2019, 08:34 AM
I'm soo tempted to trim today but alas I am reminding myself to think long term

Tinyponies
July 11th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Hair care while living in a truck is a really good way to go full ďbenign neglectĒ without feeling even a bit guilty. Iíve combed my hair twice in a week; oiled both times and shoved it straight back up. Itís holding for now; but Iím going to have a few spilts to handle when I eventually get a chance to wash it. I might see about giving it a deep treatment and letting it soak for a while before I clean it; the ends will definitely need some TLC by then. Another 4 days before Iím home and near my gear; Let the countdown continue.
So feeling this today! Living on the road now until we find our forever home. Enjoy your travels!

clandestine
July 11th, 2019, 06:15 PM
I used semi permanent black dye a few weeks ago and I think it strengthened my resolve not to cut!l

zuzannaa.aaa
July 11th, 2019, 06:55 PM
today's my first time back on LHC since committing to no trim 2019 and i'm glad to say I'm still going strong! my hair doesn't look much longer and my ends aren't looking great but i'll push through for the rest of the year and see what needs to be done! perhaps a good S&D will help!!

elise.autumn
July 11th, 2019, 08:00 PM
I will join this challenge! I don't trim anyway and I will continue not trimming through the end of the year.

zmirina
July 11th, 2019, 09:52 PM
today's my first time back on LHC since committing to no trim 2019 and i'm glad to say I'm still going strong! my hair doesn't look much longer and my ends aren't looking great but i'll push through for the rest of the year and see what needs to be done! perhaps a good S&D will help!!

yeah, my hair also does not seem longer at all... oh well.

Joyful Mystery
July 16th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Hello everyone! I took a bit of a break from TLHC but I’m happy to report I haven’t trimmed since December 31, 2018.

Joyful Mystery
July 17th, 2019, 08:58 AM
My trimming routine since 2017 seems to be: go a year without trims, then the following year trim every 6 months, and then go another year without trimming.

NeonPink
July 17th, 2019, 05:43 PM
Just wanted to post an update: I made the mistake of trying coconut oil again a few weeks ago and my ends got horribly crunchy and I thought I would need to trim them off... But I kept up a hydrating routine since then and they seem to be back to normal and actually seem pretty healthy, so it doesn't seem like I'll have issues for the rest of the year as long as I stay away from coconut oil :)

FennFire911
July 17th, 2019, 06:25 PM
Hello everyone! I took a bit of a break from TLHC but I’m happy to report I haven’t trimmed since December 31, 2018.

Welcome back, and welcome to the challenge!

zmirina
July 17th, 2019, 08:41 PM
i always wonder why coconut oil sometimes makes hair crunchy. it seems so counterintuitive

Ylva
July 17th, 2019, 08:45 PM
i always wonder why coconut oil sometimes makes hair crunchy. it seems so counterintuitive

Coconut oil binds to proteins in the hair, so hair that is protein sensitive might react to it similarly as it would to actual protein (note: coconut oil contains no protein in itself). It could also simply be because it remains solid in higher temperatures than most oils.

FennFire911
July 18th, 2019, 08:36 AM
Personally I've always thought it's because coconut oil is solid at room temperature. You warm it up to put it in, but then it cools and it's going to solidify again even if it's in a thin layer. Looking at a jar of coconut oil it does not list any protein value, only fat. Basically, ditto Ylva :D

chomsky
July 21st, 2019, 01:53 AM
Can't believe July is almost through already!

Still going strong. Feeling an urge for a new look, so I'm going to patch test some different henna blends. :o

pixitolong
July 21st, 2019, 07:09 AM
My hair has grown this month. it is finally starting to get past the pixie stage. I can almost predict that I will have a bob by Christmas or earlier.

Eve-Jade-Day
July 30th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Progress
(https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37839&d=1564508072)
This was April 29 (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37840&d=1564508110)

Up there is July 29

Well holy ^&%#

clandestine
July 30th, 2019, 01:26 PM
My hair has grown this month. it is finally starting to get past the pixie stage. I can almost predict that I will have a bob by Christmas or earlier.

I hope you reach your goal! Growing from pixie is quite the journey but you are in good company here!
~~~
I'm still growing strong, I faltered a bit with my semi permanent dye but I think it was just enough change to stick with it.

shaluwm_agape
July 30th, 2019, 03:42 PM
I had to trim back so I'm out. Despite clarifying it was so dry and split

Ilyem
July 30th, 2019, 04:42 PM
Something I've found helpful when you get bored of your hair and want to change it up but not cut it: change your parting. It makes such a difference because you can directory see the way your hair looks every time you look in the mirror.

elfynity
August 1st, 2019, 10:04 AM
I found no trimming second half of the year. Hi, and goodbye :(

zuzannaa.aaa
August 4th, 2019, 11:50 PM
Popping in again with a question: does anyone else have an overwhelming yet completely irrational urge to cut bangs? I find myself telling all of my friends that I want wispy bangs and then having the urge to actually cut them around 1-3am each night. I've already committed to not doing any type of cutting in 2019, but how do I convince myself not to do it on new year's day :scissors: ?? I know they don't suit my face shape because I had them a few years back. Does anyone else have this issue? Let me know how you talk yourself down if so :D

NicoleJean
August 5th, 2019, 03:25 AM
Iím not sure but I might have failed. Last real cut was August 2018 but I just did a Micro trim on myself because a few off hairs were like 4Ē longer than all the others and it was super weird.

lapushka
August 5th, 2019, 05:06 PM
Progress
(https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37839&d=1564508072)
This was April 29 (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37840&d=1564508110)

Up there is July 29

Well holy ^&%#

Great progress! :)

I’m not sure but I might have failed. Last real cut was August 2018 but I just did a Micro trim on myself because a few off hairs were like 4” longer than all the others and it was super weird.

Yeah, a trim is a trim, even if it's just a couple hairs, I trimmed my last tippy tips off a while ago, and also shut myself out. :flower:

ursaV
August 14th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Hi everyone, popping in to say I'm still chugging along with the no-trim! I've taken a bit of a LHC break this summer because I was doing a study abroad program and was extremely busy since June. Everyone in my program said my hair was super long, which was a great confidence boost. But not long enough yet in my eyes xD

Simsy
August 18th, 2019, 12:06 AM
Popping in again with a question: does anyone else have an overwhelming yet completely irrational urge to cut bangs? I find myself telling all of my friends that I want wispy bangs and then having the urge to actually cut them around 1-3am each night. I've already committed to not doing any type of cutting in 2019, but how do I convince myself not to do it on new year's day :scissors: ?? I know they don't suit my face shape because I had them a few years back. Does anyone else have this issue? Let me know how you talk yourself down if so :D

I remind myself that my curls suck at being short. They donít lie down and fluff nicely, they stand up straight like mini columns in some half-ruined Greek temple. I look at my old school photos and realise thereís a reason no one ever picked up on the mullet I started school with; it looks like a curly pixie or loosely coiled Afro. While Iím reasonably confident my texture has loosened a bit since school, Iím not confident enough to inflict the grow-out phase on myself with that as the probable starting point.

Simsy
August 18th, 2019, 12:11 AM
August...Iím not emotionally ready for Spring...

Still going strong, the benign neglect has extended to the wash routine now as well. Instead of every week, itís more like every 2 weeks with the occasional extra wash thrown in because Iím not working that weekend. I donít think my scalp is entirely happy with this change to the standing agreement; but itís holding...for now...

I think I might need to find another shampoo and conditioner at some point, my hairís coming out of each wash a bit more fragile feeling than Iím used to.

MamaLou
August 18th, 2019, 06:28 AM
August...I’m not emotionally ready for Spring...

Still going strong, the benign neglect has extended to the wash routine now as well. Instead of every week, it’s more like every 2 weeks with the occasional extra wash thrown in because I’m not working that weekend. I don’t think my scalp is entirely happy with this change to the standing agreement; but it’s holding...for now...

I think I might need to find another shampoo and conditioner at some point, my hair’s coming out of each wash a bit more fragile feeling than I’m used to.

That does not seem right to me. I would really wash my hair more often if your scalp needs it. Can you describe what you mean with fragile? Does it feel crunchy or dry or something else?

raemarthe
August 18th, 2019, 05:39 PM
Still trim free. The summer always does a number on my hair due to chlorine and the sun. My hair is feeling a bit dry, and I have some white dots. Once school starts back up I'll be focusing on moisture moisture moisture!

Simsy
August 18th, 2019, 09:45 PM
That does not seem right to me. I would really wash my hair more often if your scalp needs it. Can you describe what you mean with fragile? Does it feel crunchy or dry or something else?

Iím not sure if fragile is the right word, to be perfectly honest. It feels clean, but it also feels almost like spiderweb threads sometimes. I know my hair is very fine; thatís nothing new; but I think I might have crossed a line somewhere and Iím not entirely sure if I should be worried or not. It donít feel like itís going to break, and I donít see any more splits than usual. Itís just a bit...off on washday and day 1.

I am developing a mild dry patch right at the base of my skull, but thatís probably more to do with the wonky wash cycle than anything else.

MamaLou
August 19th, 2019, 02:36 AM
:( I've never experienced something like that before and I don't know what you should do to be honest.

Simsy
August 19th, 2019, 02:43 AM
:( I've never experienced something like that before and I don't know what you should do to be honest.

All good; I’m sitting on it for now. It doesn’t appear to be having a negative impact, and the fragile feeling reduces over the course of the week as I add oil and everything settles down. I suspect the wonky wash cycle is mostly to blame; and I’m not in a position to fix that anytime soon so I shall just have to deal with it.

zmirina
August 20th, 2019, 10:00 AM

Yes! I have to keep reminding myself, that bangs will make me look ewsies

Eve-Jade-Day
August 20th, 2019, 10:51 AM
Having urges to trim lately. Seems like getting my beggining stages of anorexia under control shifted my anxiety to my hair all over again. My ends feel damaged but I found a hair mask I love (almost ran out of it in a month) so I am not touching my hair with scissors, even for S&D because that's gonna turn into a full trim anyway.

And I want to get to BSL ASAP even it it means my hair my hair's gonna wind up in 10,000 layers like the last time I grew it out without trims.

The-Young-Maid
August 20th, 2019, 11:03 AM
I'm feeling real good about this challenge now. I was struggling back in like april because I wanted fresh ends but now I think I'm just about past my awkward stage. I've got a good amount of growth, funny how not trimming does that :lol:

I'm probably going to join the no trim 2020 as well. I'm dying to know what my hair would look like at that length lol

*sigh* I still really want fresh ends... mine are still real even tho, can't complain I guess. And I have a good daily style so I'm not frustrated with the length.

ursaV
August 20th, 2019, 11:34 AM
Yes! I have to keep reminding myself, that bangs will make me look ewsies

I told a friend about how I've been thinking about getting bangs and she said 'no adult should have bangs. Not even Zoey Deschanel, they don't look good on anyone.' Of course in my opinion she is wrong but that certainly put me off the idea x)