PDA

View Full Version : how often do you chelate?

my2cats1
August 27th, 2017, 06:52 PM
for those who live in areas with hard water, how often do you chelate (for example, at every 3rd wash? every 20th wash?)

what signs tell you its time to chelate?

I moved to an area with very hard water last year, and I'm still trying to figure out a routine with enough chelating, but not so much its dries out my hair. I love my hair post chelate shampoo, but I know I should not be using it too often.

anybody have any luck with water filters for the shower? if so, can you recomend a brand or model?

thanks!

HeartofHaleth
August 27th, 2017, 07:16 PM
Whenever I feel like I need it. I do vinegar rinses, which helps prevent some of the mineral build-up, but when my ends get that rough, stubborn, tangly feeling I reach for the special shampoo! Usually if my ends start feeling terrible, that's the problem.

Obsidian
August 27th, 2017, 07:28 PM
About once a month and I wash almost daily. My hair starts getting dull and dried feeling, then I know its time to chelate.

Meggypoo
August 28th, 2017, 01:23 AM
Which chelating shampoos do you folks like? I've successfully softened my hair with vinegar rinses but the water in my area is 8.6 (!!) so I wonder what a good chelating could do...

Sarahlabyrinth
August 28th, 2017, 01:29 AM
Normally when I think to do it, about once a month or every six weeks. I wash my hair twice weekly.

lapushka
August 28th, 2017, 04:04 AM
I lived all my life in a hard water area and I have never chelated in all my life. The hard water, on top of that, doesn't bother me. But I weekly wash with a sulfate and a lot of shampoo, and that might be why it doesn't bother me as much.

The detergent for the washing machine also indicates to put in more detergent for harder water.

It's always been like this.

We get white deposits on our taps, but that's about it.

my2cats1
August 28th, 2017, 05:45 AM
Which chelating shampoos do you folks like? I've successfully softened my hair with vinegar rinses but the water in my area is 8.6 (!!) so I wonder what a good chelating could do...

I like the chelating shampoos by Joico and Malibu.

Ligeia Noire
August 28th, 2017, 06:21 AM
I do it once a month and the water filter helped enormously. I might stretch my chelating in the futurebecause of it actually. Forgot the brand but it was fairly inexpensive and the refills cost 27 dollars every half a year or as you see fit. I also use Malibu but it dries my hair a lot no matter what but I do a deep conditioning right after it and problem solved.

hobbitlocks
August 28th, 2017, 10:22 AM
I do it when my hair starts to feel more tangly than normal. I actually like a little hard water build up as it makes my slippery hair way easier to manage! So I always put off chelating because it's so slippery at first it's a pain. I probably chelate every 3-4 months. I wash my length about once a week, so I guess it's about 1 in every 15 washes. I also use vinegar rinses in between.

Meggypoo
August 28th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Thank you for your response, my2cats1!

Deborah
August 28th, 2017, 11:26 PM
I have very hard water but have never chelated or clarified. Probably I get away with this because I have not used shampoo or soap or conditioners for many years, so there is nothing to get stuck to my hair. I use Indian herbs once a week to wash, then citric acid dissolved in cold water for my final rinse. That's all.

lithostoic
August 29th, 2017, 05:05 AM
Never done it. And I use sulfate free shampoo.