PDA

View Full Version : layers growing nicely thank you, shame about the length!

jojo
October 27th, 2008, 08:23 PM
anybody else notice this?

My hair had a million and one layers in, now I am down to one in the back which is like an inch shorter than my length.

Do any of you think that my hair may have actually been catching up with the length, whilst the length rested?

Also do you think once my inch has caught up with the length it will start to grow again?

TIA x

AnneAdeline
October 27th, 2008, 08:27 PM
My layers seem to be lessening. When I have it down (very rarely), they aren't that noticeable. But then I braid and it's really obvious that I've got 'em.

spidermom
October 27th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Also do you think once my inch has caught up with the length it will start to grow again?
TIA x

Absolutely! Your hair is going to start growing like crazy. (now if there's anything to the power of suggestion....)

Friesiangirl
October 27th, 2008, 08:49 PM
It's also that when your hair is shorter, it lays over the head and the shorter lengths will appear shorter until it grows out and will lay straighter. If that makes any sense :)

Hayley

nayver
October 28th, 2008, 03:08 AM
My layers always has grown faster than the rest of the hair, I do not have any explanation for this. They seem to manage to reach the longer hairs.

jojo
October 28th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I think its amazing really that even hair has the ability to want equality. Just like our bodies strive for homeostasis constantly, our hair too wants a balance.

I have mentioned this before but I do believe that when a person starts growing from a short layered style, growth is inhibited somewhat until a balance occurs. Furthermore once these layers have balanced out, the length will grow at a more acceptable (is our growth ever acceptable to us!?) rate. I think also that once our hair is of a certain weight, depending on the person it reaches terminal.

This is my opinion anyway! so with that theory in mind its 'Hi ho, Hi ho its off to waist I go!'

I sound like a nerd now! but it makes sense to me!!!

Tangles
October 28th, 2008, 07:32 AM
But that's really kind of cool! One length hair looks much thicker! You'll get your length soon enough Jojo, but I have seen an incredible difference in the quality of your hair from the first pics I saw.

maskedrose
October 28th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Man, I wish I was only one layer away from one-length hair! Mine still start a little below my shoulders and go all the way down. I'm so sick of them! My hair still grows at a pretty constant rate, but it would be nice to think that I might have a big growth spurt when I'm finally rid of them...in two years time...ugh.

Naluin
October 28th, 2008, 10:38 AM
isn't that a george michael theory? or maybe it was morocco method? :confused:

spidermom
October 28th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I think that when you're growing out layers, eventually they reach a balance with the shed and regrow cycle so that you can't tell you had layers done, and you're back to having the absolutely normal 1001 lengths caused by the shed/regrow cycle. I don't think that hair tries to equalize itself by holding growth back in some areas to allow other areas to catch up. But I could be wrong about that. All I can go by is what I've observed on my own head.

Sammybunny711
October 28th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure if mine will do the same thing or not but we shall see. As you can tell by my avatar, all of my layers are AT LEAST middle ear (I know...SO long, right?) and they are growing, I can tell but I'm not sure if they will catch up to my length. In a lot of ways, I hope that they will catch up to the length and then the length will SPEED UP! heehee.

birthmarkie
October 28th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I still have my layers but they look different each month to me. I don't think hair grows all at the same rate, but I doubt layers can catch up that much faster than your normal growth rate. If that's what you're getting though, I say don't question it!

jojo
October 28th, 2008, 01:32 PM
isn't that a george michael theory? or maybe it was morocco method? :confused:

yes GM does believe in this and although i think some of his theories are rubbish, im looking at it more from a biological view our bodies need continuity for optimum health, we need a balance so my way of thinking is the hair too needs this balance. If this makes sense!

Heidi_234
October 28th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Well, if it is indeed that the hair tries to even its layers to one length, it's not the case with everybody. I have layers, and the bottom most is growing alright (I just hit waist with my lowest locks! yay!), and my upper ones still struggle to keep in rate.

jojo
October 28th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I think that when you're growing out layers, eventually they reach a balance with the shed and regrow cycle so that you can't tell you had layers done, and you're back to having the absolutely normal 1001 lengths caused by the shed/regrow cycle. I don't think that hair tries to equalize itself by holding growth back in some areas to allow other areas to catch up. But I could be wrong about that. All I can go by is what I've observed on my own head.

I can see your point here, yes individuality does of course vary in relation to hair growth. Maybe hair constantly grows, but the layed bits grow that little bit faster, like you mentioned eventually hairs will reach a balance and lets be honest here every body has some kind of layers albeit natural or deliberate, therefore perfection is not possible .

My other observation regards my fringe in Jan 2007 my fringe was an inch above my eyebrow (eek) with a good 6" difference to the sides, now they are exactly the same length after a year of growing them out; I have not cut either.

Certainly makes me wonder.

spidermom
October 28th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Every once in awhile I will find a fast-growing group of hairs at my hem that will be up to 2 inches longer than everything else. They certainly weren't trying to achieve or maintain balance. I think every hair has its own growth rate, some faster, some slower. Maybe hairs near the top of your head grow faster than hairs lower down.

Oberon88
October 28th, 2008, 03:16 PM
My hair seems to all grow equally. I haven't measured exactly, but every layer is the same distance away from each other, they just are longer.
I wish my shorter layers grew faster.

Euphony
October 28th, 2008, 03:43 PM
My layers always has grown faster than the rest of the hair, I do not have any explanation for this. They seem to manage to reach the longer hairs.
My layers get longer faster then the rest of my hair since I trim the rest of my hair and don't trim my layers :D

I personally don't see how it's possible that the longest portion of my hair is hanging out waiting for it's friends. Hair doesn't know that it's shorter or longer than the rest, it just grows. Perhaps the canopy grows faster, perhaps the underneath grows faster, perhaps the right side or left side grow faster. Or perhaps some hairs are prone to breakage while others aren't. The longer the hair, the more fragile and tapered, the more fragile and tapered the more likely it is to break.

I may be able to see the growth of my layers a bit better than most people do since I have such a severe U shape to my hemline. This time last year my shortest layer of my U shape was apl, now it's bsl, so it's grown right about the same rate as the rest of my hair.

Weight of a hair doesn't determine it's terminal length, time does. Each hair has a growth cycle of about 6 to 9 years, at the end of that cycle it goes into a resting phase (no growth) then falls out.

jojo
October 28th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Every once in awhile I will find a fast-growing group of hairs at my hem that will be up to 2 inches longer than everything else. They certainly weren't trying to achieve or maintain balance. I think every hair has its own growth rate, some faster, some slower. Maybe hairs near the top of your head grow faster than hairs lower down.

I have just looked at mine and you are right there are bits like this ---_---_--- if that makes sense!

terriej
October 29th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I wish my layers would grow together. My hair was up around my shoulders and layered. Now, the longest part is almost to my tailbone and the shorter layers are only to my waist.

lora410
October 29th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Mine grows like this. My very top layer has been resting and growing very slow (its at apl) while the rest have sped on down. The only other layer to grow in is the one that is 1inch from the bottom. As for will it all grow when it is caught up; I have no clue :)

spidermom
October 29th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I have just looked at mine and you are right there are bits like this ---_---_--- if that makes sense!

Kind of like this: vvyvvyyvv? Yup; perfect sense.

jojo
October 30th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Kind of like this: vvyvvyyvv? Yup; perfect sense.
ah you speak hair! Yes I know what you mean, this is what i see!:)