PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to cut

calmyogi
August 26th, 2017, 02:41 PM
So I'm at a place where I keep getting the urge to cut my hair again... I don't want to because I feel like it's taken so long to get to where I am now..... help me!

I'm not sure if there is a thread for this? I feel like there could be but for the life of me I have no idea where to look.

lapushka
August 26th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Yes there's been a few threads...

Just don't. That's the easy answer.

Have you recently come to a new milestone with your hair perhaps? Maybe cutting a few inches off will get you to a more comfortable length again. Trust me, a few inches can make a world of difference! It does not mean, however, you have to cut it *all* off!

lunasea
August 26th, 2017, 02:56 PM
Again
https://youtu.be/x-ciMuVhDXA

Dendra
August 26th, 2017, 02:57 PM
If you know for sure that you want long hair then you have to resist the urges and keep growing. Patience is a beautiful virtue, and so it follows that patient people are rewarded with beautiful hair.

Your hair is gorgeous, and its waves mean that if you did cut it off it might take a fair while to grow back.

Perhaps check out this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=92326&page=14

Good luck to you whatever you decide :)

calmyogi
August 26th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Well I was playing around with it in the mirror tonight and the longest part of my V cut is only about 5" away from grazing my tailbone.... This helped me realize I am ONLY 5" away from my first real goal!

Thank you you guys guys for your responses.

pili
August 26th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Don't do it! I wouldn't make that as a blanket statement to everyone, but it sounds like you are just a bit bored and impatient. It sounds like you want to be talked out of it.

Dark40
August 26th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Don't cut it! I remember when I first joined the LHC site back in 2010 during the first year I joined I've always gotten the urge to cut my hair all off. Because, it wasn't acting right. But within the 7 years I've been here with only getting one or 2 trims a year I have come a long way from Chin Length to MBL!!! And now, I'm on my way to WL!!! Yay!!! So, realize that you've come a long way to reaching Tailbone Length! I now wish that I was at Tailbone Length but I've realized that I've got a while before I reach that length on me. But, hang in there.

calmyogi
August 26th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Don't do it! I wouldn't make that as a blanket statement to everyone, but it sounds like you are just a bit bored and impatient. It sounds like you want to be talked out of it.

I definitely want to be talked out of it. I am bored, impatient? I don't think that's quite it. I have had some emotional things happening and a lot of change going on in my life right now so I think it's impulse wanting change.

pili
August 26th, 2017, 08:07 PM
I definitely want to be talked out of it. I am bored, impatient? I don't think that's quite it. I have had some emotional things happening and a lot of change going on in my life right now so I think it's impulse wanting change.
That is very understandable. I've cut my hair off during times of great change and emotional roller coasters (the pixie below is an example). Just recognize it for what it is, and if you need to get talked out of it, we are here for you!

Deborah
August 26th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Try a new bun or new braid or get some new hair toys. These things can help people who don't need a haircut, but who are bored and antsy.

akurah
August 26th, 2017, 08:39 PM
I regret cutting my knee length hair to waist. I'm now maybe at tailbone again.

People like to make big changes when their emotions are in upheaval. That's why men have the joke of:
dude 1: "Hey man, I really miss her, maybe I should ask her to get back together"
dude 2: "Did she cut her hair since you broke up?"
dude 1: "Yeah"
dude 2: "Yeah don't bother, she won't have you back"
(and various variations thereof, and I recognize joke looks/sounds/probably is sexist, but the concept can be applied to men as well)

My rule of thumb is even if you've been planning to cut for awhile, if there is turmoil in your life, postpone it till it settles down, just in case.

Simsy
August 26th, 2017, 10:32 PM
When you're emotional, stressed or worried; it is the worst possible time to make drastic decisions that you are not absolutely certain of. In the words of my hairdresser cousin, "Fix the problems, don't add to them."

Jo Ann
August 26th, 2017, 11:00 PM

Sometimes, taking a step or two back from the madness swirling around you can help you put things back in perspective. It can give you a chance to see what you should be concerned about, possible solutions to your immediate concerns and what can wait for your consideration until other concerns settle down. Some things will take care of themselves while you work on the immediate problems.

I would suggest NOT getting your haircut--like you said, you have some things going on right now, and it's possible you're not feeling in control of those things, but cutting your hair IS something within your control. Wait a couple of weeks (the Two Week Rule) and see, as things start to settle down, if that impulse goes away. It probably will, especially that you're now so close to a personal hair goal!

Good luck and I hope things settle down soon for you.

Dendra
August 27th, 2017, 02:43 AM

I totally get that. I cut all my hair off, and I mean ALL my hair, when I was going through a difficult time. It's an urge lots of people have. See it as self-care that you're protecting and conserving your hair.

lapushka
August 27th, 2017, 04:25 AM
Oh boy, that impulse wanting change - I've had that more than I wish for! Keep reading here, and talking to us. Maybe change up your style a bit, do a few updos or do them differently. And see if that quenches the thirst. Maybe start a thread about your issues, if you want to talk about it.

Stray_mind
August 27th, 2017, 04:31 AM
Don't cut your hair. Sooner or later you'll want your hair long again and regret the cut. It's the same for me. I chopped off my waist lenght hair to chin and was happy, but now i want it long again and it'll take Years to grow it back. I don't exactly regret my chop, i like myself with short hair too, but it takes a tremendous ammount of patience to grow out all the awkward lenght stages, especially for me, since it's only chin lenght or BSL lenght that looks good on me. Everything in between looks ugly as all hell.

It's easy to cut off your hair, but it takes a long time to grow it back. Better try a new (temporary) hair color or find new hair toys/updos to improvise with. Look up some pics of beautiful long hair here or in other places, inspire yourself.

Just put your hair up for now and try not to think about it for a while. The urge will most likely pass.

Emma Rose
August 27th, 2017, 05:02 AM
I'm feeling that exact same way now. However, I know it's most likely just from stress. This time last year, I had a production on wand was in a wedding. I cut my hair and regret it and now this year I have a production again. Funny how I always want to cut my hair the same time every year...

calmyogi
August 27th, 2017, 07:40 AM
I regret cutting my knee length hair to waist. I'm now maybe at tailbone again.

People like to make big changes when their emotions are in upheaval. That's why men have the joke of:
dude 1: "Hey man, I really miss her, maybe I should ask her to get back together"
dude 2: "Did she cut her hair since you broke up?"
dude 1: "Yeah"
dude 2: "Yeah don't bother, she won't have you back"
(and various variations thereof, and I recognize joke looks/sounds/probably is sexist, but the concept can be applied to men as well)

My rule of thumb is even if you've been planning to cut for awhile, if there is turmoil in your life, postpone it till it settles down, just in case.

Hahaha I have never heard that, but it makes a lot of sense. Sounds like a joke from the 1950's lol.

lapushka
August 27th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Hahaha I have never heard that, but it makes a lot of sense. Sounds like a joke from the 1950's lol.

Hahaha, I've never heard that either.

calmyogi
August 27th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Try a new bun or new braid or get some new hair toys. These things can help people who don't need a haircut, but who are bored and antsy.

Now might be the time for a new hairstick or practicing my crown braiding. I haven't practiced that since my hair was close to between apl and bsl.

calmyogi
August 27th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Don't cut your hair. Sooner or later you'll want your hair long again and regret the cut. It's the same for me. I chopped off my waist lenght hair to chin and was happy, but now i want it long again and it'll take Years to grow it back. I don't exactly regret my chop, i like myself with short hair too, but it takes a tremendous ammount of patience to grow out all the awkward lenght stages, especially for me, since it's only chin lenght or BSL lenght that looks good on me. Everything in between looks ugly as all hell.

It's easy to cut off your hair, but it takes a long time to grow it back. Better try a new (temporary) hair color or find new hair toys/updos to improvise with. Look up some pics of beautiful long hair here or in other places, inspire yourself.

Just put your hair up for now and try not to think about it for a while. The urge will most likely pass.

What you said right here is exactly how it has always been for me. The biggest reason I came here instead of heading out to the hairdresser was because of all the time, patience, products, AND money I have put into getting long healthy hair to this point........ Did I mention tears as well? LOL.

I like myself with short hair and wear it well, But I am at the longest point my hair has ever been and it's very healthy. I don't want to go through all that again because I know once it's short i'll long for the luscious locks again. I want to get to tbl and then reassess how I feel about long hair and if I want to cut back a little or let it keep going to classic or my knees.

calmyogi
August 27th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Hahaha, I've never heard that either.

It sounds like a very american 1950's joke Hahaha.... I hope this statement doesn't sound prejudice? lol. I work mainly with elderly people and it sounds so much like something that one of the old men would say here.

calmyogi
August 27th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Thank you everyone for the support and advice. It is definitely being heard and taken! :grouphug: :heart:

spidermom
August 27th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Since you have a goal, I believe you will be best served by reaching it before you make changes. It's good practice for sticking through the rough spots to reach any goal in your life.

Gillian1978
August 27th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Aw please don't cut it! I cut mine just recently ( it wasn't as long as yours but it was at APL) and I regret it so so much. I wish I'd left it long as I am a long haired lady at heart and I don't feel like 'me'. My hair is who I am and how people recognise me and this short hair is not me. You may just be feeling tired of your hair but you will miss it when it's gone!

yamsha23
August 27th, 2017, 11:53 AM
If you really need to cut, get yourself some bangs! That's what I just did, a short and light fringe, it feels so fresh :)

akurah
August 27th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Since you have a goal, I believe you will be best served by reaching it before you make changes. It's good practice for sticking through the rough spots to reach any goal in your life.

Actually, yeah, that is a good point too. The point of goals are to achieve them, so might as well hit it, and if you still want to cut after, then go for it.

Not that changing goals mid-goal is bad, mind, but sticking with goals even if you don't want to do it anymore, then maybe "undoing" it (ex: growing hair, then cutting) is a good way to build grit (for lack of a better word) and self-accountability, etc.

going gray
August 28th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Hi calmyogi,

I'm getting in line, don't cut your hair. It's been my MO for decades, & I have finally realized, it takes time & patience. Very worth the effort, your hair is the same length as mine, experiment, wear it up a lot, get it out of the way & just allow it to grow..... We're all here because we love long hair!

Anje
August 28th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Yeah, there's a reason we have a "two week rule" around here for haircuts. Definitely try to reach your goal first, at least. If you're still itching to cut it back after that, well, you'll have had a good period of time to think it over.

(Yeah, I know, that's funny coming from someone who currently has really short hair. But it's important to know yourself, especially for drastic cuts. If your hair length is part of your self image, it's going to be a lot harder to deal with drastic cuts.)

esfand
August 28th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Why not get a small trim or learn how to braid your hair in a new way?

Don't cut your hair!

Ghaliya
August 28th, 2017, 10:43 PM
I wish I would've come and chat with you guys everytime I had the urge lol. My hair would be so long. But hey... I'm hoping I'll be happy with the length in about a year.... I hope I don't get hit by a post partum shed. I honestly don't remember if I shed bad with my daughter.

NV
August 29th, 2017, 09:09 AM
I also had the urge to cut it, so I went ahead and cut my hear that was around bra strap length to my collarbones.. I lile the length I have now, but I also regret cutting my hair a little. The ends felt very dry and brittle though and my hair feels and looks a lot better now that I have cut it. I keep telling myself; it's hair, it'll grow back.
It does take time however... before I can have a decent braid again :/

fhairyqueen
August 29th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Please don't cut it. Please don't jump into anything you probably will regret . You have beautiful hair and you are so close to reaching your first goal. That's a huge achievement. This is the hardest part THIS part when you get the sudden urge for change but please trust me you will regret it .... maybe even moments after cutting it. The fact you came here and started this thread tells me the long term true goal you have is long hair not short or you would have confidently cut it without question. I think you are bored and Bordem is dangerous . Try some complicated braids or go to the hair dressers and get them to put in some really complex braids or treat yourself to some hair accessories some expensive ones . Wear a completely different style in your hair if it's usually up wear it down , try pig tails, buns , side parting , messy beach look , make it have the illusion of being shorter with braids and ponytails . Try everything you can think of before you cut. How about setting a date in your mind like Christmas Day or even closer like Halloween and if you still have the urge to cut maybe post another thread and we can talk you out of it again :) but I promise this urge will pass it always does . I now regrettably have collarbone length hair after hacking off and bleach damageing my hair which was waist length and all natural please don't make my mistake I felt sick to my stomach instantly afterwards . You really do have beautiful hair please keep growing with us

Well I was playing around with it in the mirror tonight and the longest part of my V cut is only about 5" away from grazing my tailbone.... This helped me realize I am ONLY 5" away from my first real goal!

Thank you you guys guys for your responses.

calmyogi
August 29th, 2017, 05:38 PM
I won't be cutting it. I have wanted to go get micro braids or something but I'm not sure how damaging those are to hair? Another thought was to get two Dutch braids done by someone with some extensions braided in for a long term wear. Just for something new and a break from brushing and styling.