PDA

View Full Version : Finding my hair type?

Shadowmew
August 26th, 2017, 01:06 PM
I need a little help finding my hair type. https://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Some of my hair looks straight (I had straight hair as a child) - but when I lift my hair I suddenly have a lot of waves.

Can anyone help? https://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/images/smilies/happy8.gif

There's a picture here:
http://imgur.com/a/ytL7b

The first one shows my hair when it's down - and the second shows my hair when I lift the outher layer.

The third and fourth image is a close up of the waves.

Arctic
August 26th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Ninja curls! They are quite common, the canopy often seems to be straighter than the underside (though not always). Is this a proper hair typing photo (no touching, combing, brushing, fluffing, sleeping on, products after washing and letting the hair air dry with as little messing as possible)?

In this photo I think even your "straight" parts are in the 2s so they are not in the LHC jargon straight. It looks like your underside waves are very strong and I can't see clearly if they are all S-waves or if there is spiralling action there too. But overall they "read" like borderline curls to me :) I would put you - maaaaybe, I am not quite sure! - in 2a/2b for canopy and 2c for the underside (but as I said the photos are not super clear to my old eyes and I'm not sure if this is a proper hair typing photo). If this would end up being your type based on opinion of others too, you'd need to compromise for your profile stats, as 2a/2b/2c is not possible. You would then maybe to choose 2b/2c.

diddiedaisy
August 26th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Ninja curls, that made me laugh haha

I also think the under canopy is 2c, maybe 2a for the top. As the chunk of of it appears to be 2c you could go with that, or settle for 2b/c. :)

lapushka
August 26th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Those definitely for sure look like 2b waves. Is this a true hairtyping picture?

Shadowmew
August 26th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Ninja curls! They are quite common, the canopy often seems to be straighter than the underside (though not always). Is this a proper hair typing photo (no touching, combing, brushing, fluffing, sleeping on, products after washing and letting the hair air dry with as little messing as possible)?

In this photo I think even your "straight" parts are in the 2s so they are not in the LHC jargon straight. It looks like your underside waves are very strong and I can't see clearly if they are all S-waves or if there is spiralling action there too. But overall they "read" like borderline curls to me :) I would put you - maaaaybe, I am not quite sure! - in 2a/2b for canopy and 2c for the underside (but as I said the photos are not super clear to my old eyes and I'm not sure if this is a proper hair typing photo). If this would end up being your type based on opinion of others too, you'd need to compromise for your profile stats, as 2a/2b/2c is not possible. You would then maybe to choose 2b/2c.

I love the name "Ninja curls"! :D

It's probably not a proper hair typing photo. I let my hair air dry with as little messing as possible, haven't slept on it, haven't brushed it, no fluffing and no combing. But I did use a product in my hair after washing it (this leave-in-treatment: https://www.kerastase.co.uk/ranges/discipline/oleo-curl-cream-150ml ).

I can take another photo tomorrow :) (right now it's 10 pm where I live).

Dendra
August 26th, 2017, 02:22 PM
To my eyes, canopy: 2a, underneath: 2c.

Seeing as you have more 'underneath' hair than canopy hair, I would err on the side of 2b/c, but it's tricky as unless you lift your hair up you look like a 2a!

By the way, your hair is beautiful and I envy those gorgeous waves.

lithostoic
August 26th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Would definitely call it 2b/c, since your canopy can probably be manipulated into 2b waves :)

MusicalSpoons
August 28th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Lots more experienced eyes have answered, so I'm just dropping by to say how gorgeous your curls are! When I looked at your photos, I actually said "ooh, prettyyyy" :flower:

VersLaLumière
August 29th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Looks like 2a/2c to me (maybe calling it 2b would be a good compromise?) My hair is like this too!! I have a 2a canopy but the underside is mostly 2b and some 2c with ringlets. So I can relate to the hair typing confusion! I call mine 2a/2b because of how it looks, but it basically needs to be treated like 2b hair.

Shadowmew
August 30th, 2017, 11:49 AM
By the way, your hair is beautiful and I envy those gorgeous waves.

Lots more experienced eyes have answered, so I'm just dropping by to say how gorgeous your curls are! When I looked at your photos, I actually said "ooh, prettyyyy" :flower:

Thank you so much! :cheer:

It's always nice to get compliments :o

eyesinthewoods
August 30th, 2017, 12:51 PM
I also have the same thing! If you look at my hair from the back, when its all down my back, it looks like a 2a, but when it's over my shoulder(so the underside of my hair is showing) or I lift up the top layer of hair in the back, it looks like a 2b. I don't know exactly what you should call it, but I went with 2a/2b (as you can see).

Shadowmew
August 31st, 2017, 07:30 AM
Thank you for all the answers. It was a great help! :cheese:

I've decided to just call it 2b :o

(I've also deleted the pictures on the link :) )

VersLaLumière
August 31st, 2017, 10:48 AM
Good choice, I think :)