PDA

View Full Version : Using Deep Treatment Mask as Conditioner

BlueEyeBrunette
August 25th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Do any of you regularly use a deep treatment mask as a conditioner (instead of a conditioner)? An example of the kind of masks I'm referring to is the Shea Moisture Manuka Honey Masque or the Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Mask. Could using a mask so often cause any problems or be bad for long hair?

meteor
August 25th, 2017, 06:45 PM
Yup, I use "masques", "deep treatments" and "conditioners" interchangeably. :agree: Usually "masques" are heavier conditioners anyway, and I tend to go for heavier conditioners regardless, since I feel that thick and long hair needs the extra slip anyway. Haven't seen any downside to this approach yet - and I like to focus on ingredients lists rather than labels. So if the product is a heavy protein treatment, for example, you may want to be careful how often you use it and follow that up with moisture treatments, etc... But that can be gleaned from reading ingredients lists.

The only exception for me is pre-poo stuff that I prefer on dry hair, like oil/butter treatments, DIY stuff, etc, which can sometimes be harder to wash out without the S&C that follows.

SnowDancer
August 25th, 2017, 08:42 PM
I've done this in the past. I have thick, heavy hair. But, I wouldn't put it on my scalp. I don't put any conditioner on my scalp. It doesn't need it.

Dark40
August 25th, 2017, 08:54 PM
Excellent thread to start! I would use a Deep Treatment Mask for my conditioner instead of regular conditioner too for long hair. As my hair is MBL on it's way to Waist Length, and it's thick. I always love for my hair to be healthier, and to have a nice slip anyway.

LadyCelestina
August 25th, 2017, 11:00 PM
My only concern with this would be buildup and money...As for me, even though I know masks are just heavier conditioners, I feel wasteful when I just rinse a mask off straight away, so I try to always leave it in the hair for at least 5-10 minutes :) It's silly because I have a mask which literally costs as much as my conditioner for the same amount and I still feel wasteful using it as conditioner.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 25th, 2017, 11:28 PM
I will often use a mask as a conditioner and my hair loves it.

lapushka
August 26th, 2017, 06:36 AM
Do any of you regularly use a deep treatment mask as a conditioner (instead of a conditioner)? An example of the kind of masks I'm referring to is the Shea Moisture Manuka Honey Masque or the Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Mask. Could using a mask so often cause any problems or be bad for long hair?

I do WCC, and I either use 2 conditioners, 1 mask & 1 conditioner, or 2 masks; it depends on what products I have on hand and what I'm using up that week.

It can weigh your hair down, but with me there's fairly little chance of that (I have dry lengths). On top of that I use masks and conditioners especially suited towards dry, damaged hair, so the most moisturizing on the market. My hair can take it - I know that! But that's important to find out, if it's not going to weigh your hair down.

lithostoic
August 26th, 2017, 07:47 AM
That's what I used to do before I trimmed off the bulk of my severe bleach damage. I used the SM shea butter masque.

queenbee1
August 27th, 2017, 06:44 AM
I use the Beauty Formulas henna deep conditioning mask. For me it doesn't work any better than my regular conditioners. ��

queenbee1
August 27th, 2017, 06:45 AM
I use the Beauty Formulas henna deep conditioning mask. For me it doesn't work any better than my regular conditioners. 🤔

lapushka
August 27th, 2017, 07:16 AM
Yes true, my experience as well. Some masks can be more nourishing than conditioners, but sometimes conditioners can be better than the masks; depends on the mask and the conditioner. You can't but try a product and rate it. :)

BlueEyeBrunette
August 27th, 2017, 11:26 AM
That's a really good tip about proteins! Which kind of ingredients are proteins, though? The only two I know of are keratin (which seems to make my hair feel like straw!) and silk protein, which my hair likes.

Zesty
August 27th, 2017, 02:53 PM
I'll have to agree that using a mask can be great for long hair. I use them as my first C and as my cream in LOC. I used the Manuka Honey masque as my first C in WCC for a long time (I used it up and now make my own "DT" with a variety of cone-free conditioners and almond oil as my first C). My hair isn't particularly thick or coarse and can still take a lot of product at this length. I WCC (sulfate shampoo twice, scalp only, heavy cone-free conditioner or mask, coney conditioner) and LOC (kinky curly knot today + argan oil + SM Shea Butter Masque).