PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you're bored with your hair?

thunderseed
August 24th, 2017, 12:40 PM
I'm getting so bored with my hair! I want a bold change without cutting it all off and I'm afraid hair dye or bleach would damage it, so aside from buying wigs, what do you guys do when you are feeling like you need a big change?

Jo Ann
August 24th, 2017, 12:49 PM
I sit on the urge for a few days or longer. Usually the urge passes, and I end up with no regrets by waiting.

I also avoid looking in mirrors :p Seriously! I do!

HeartofHaleth
August 24th, 2017, 12:52 PM
I've used Special Effects dye, which doesn't have any kind of bleach in it and washes out after a few months. There a number of brands of semi-permanent, non-damaging (as far as I know, there are members here who know way more about this than I do) dyes like this, but I don't know if crazy colors are the kind of change you're looking for.

samanthaa
August 24th, 2017, 12:59 PM
I don't know if I've yet to get bored of my hair. Every inch seems exciting to me as I've never been in this territory before (BSL was the longest my hair ever got before LHC). Although hip to TBL seems like the longest stretch everrrrr

You could get yourself a new hair toy, learn a new braid or bun, dip dye the ends or put in a streak with a non-damaging veggie dye like Manic Panic, give yourself an SMT or other deep treatment...or just put your hair up and forget about it.

Jo Ann, avoiding mirrors is really smart.

draysmir
August 24th, 2017, 01:04 PM
That's usually when I cut bangs in again :p Is that something that you could/would want to do if you don't have bangs already? Or maybe you could change up your hair a bit by changing your hemline shape (ex. if it's blunt maybe try a u-hemline), or by adding some face-framing layers.

I haven't done this in a while (I should totally do it soon again though :p), but a way I make my hair feel "less boring" to me is by braiding a couple really small sections in my hair, so I always have a couple small accent braids poking out of my updos or when I wear my hair down. I tie them off with a small elastic, and they usually can look nice for about a month before I need to take them out. I also sometimes put hairwraps in my hair, I think theyre really cool and colourful! :D Also, I haven't tried them before and I'm not even sure what they're called, but I know you can also get feathers put in your hair too that last a while. :)

I'm sorry if these suggestions aren't that helpful, I realize most of these are smaller changes. Hopefully you'll be enjoying your hair again soon though :o

Ophidian
August 24th, 2017, 01:08 PM
2 week rule is a good one for me! Usually when I'm wanting a big change with my hair it is really a dissatisfied feeling with life/myself in general and I need to find ways to deal with that other than doing something drastic with my hair. Often I can deal with the urge by trying a new treatment/wash method/style/product. That doesn't change the appearance but it helps me blow of that feeling like I need a change right now. That might just be me though. As far as temporary things go there are several brands of deposit-only dyes that shouldn't damage your hair. There's a thread here and several members who play around with fun colors while keeping damage to a minimum.

lithostoic
August 24th, 2017, 01:24 PM
I try new hairstyles. Sometimes I replicate them from YouTube and sometimes I make up my own.

Andthetalltrees
August 24th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Usually that's when I chop it all off and then immediately start to grow it again :rolleyes: . Probably best thing is maybe try to ignore it until it goes away or you really know that you want to change something dramatically

-Fern
August 24th, 2017, 01:42 PM
This is going to sound silly, but usually I spend a few days trying to do a crown braid. By the time the urge has passed, I'm all, "Yes, LWB's and cinnabuns are the best!"

Nique1202
August 24th, 2017, 02:59 PM
The thing is, if you want long hair, you can't keep cutting it or damaging it to the point where you're unhappy with the ends and have to trim out the worst of the damage frequently. A lot of us run into problems when hair gets to a certain length where the things you did to it when it was shorter don't work anymore, and you haven't got a routine or adjustment lined up yet because you don't know yet how to deal with this one extra inch that acts so differently from all the previous ones.

That's where so many people who have had short hair all their lives start to feel anxious and feel like colouring drastically or chopping their hair short again, because it's so new and unfamiliar and it looks too hard from that side of the hurdle to adjust to the hair looking and feeling different. And for those who overcome it, some people really don't get any benefit from growing longer than the awkward phase, they don't get any particular joy out of their hair once it gets longer, even if they adjust to it they don't like it any more than when it was shorter and easier to care for. But there's no way to know until you try.

If you want to get past this without cutting or damaging your hair, the trick is definitely to try something new that's minimally damaging. The streaks recommended above with deposit-only dyes if your hair is light enough or hair chalk if it's not. Also, new styles: there are dozens of channels on YouTube that cover everything from everyday styles to prom/wedding styles to styles from shows like Game of Thrones and Vikings, SO MANY NEW THINGS TO TRY ALL THE TIME! Just look for styles that don't use heat tools or where they're optional, like if you can do rag curls the night before instead of using a curling iron afterward. The most common ones I've seen recommended here are Torrin Paige, SilVousPlaits, LaDollyVita333 (and her older YouTube account LaDollyVita33 which is still a good archive), and Lilith Moon.

Alternatively, if none of that works, sometimes the solution is to do something that's damaging. You'll trade off potential length later because of the damage, but if it makes you happier then it's more important to be happy now, because hair grows back and you can figure out the compromise later if it comes up. Especially since your profile indicates you have 34 inches of hair and want 40, if your ends are still in good condition, you may be able to do some damage with bleach or standard developer dyes to get a different colour, and still reach your goal length, and there are things that people swear reduce the damage that you could try out if you go this route. If you think you might want more than 40 inches, you may have to compromise at that point, but until then, be happy with your hair. That's the most important thing.

unheardletters
August 24th, 2017, 03:02 PM
When I feel that way I try to wait it out. Last time it lasted longer than anticipated and since I really don't want to cut or dye my hair I bought new clothes and that seemed to settle the desire for change.

Corvana
August 24th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Previously, I'd cut it. But at the time I didn't really care if I had long hair or not.

Now, though, I do want long hair and I'm trying to prep ways to make it easier for myself to get through stalls and such. Maybe instead of doing something to my hair I'll buy a new nail polish or lipstick. Or a new hair toy. Or a new pair of super cute socks from sockdreams (there are literally like 50 pairs of socks there that I want lol).

Basically spice something else up to get my mind off my hair. And if that doesn't work, then I'll try new styles for my hair, and try to see if the feeling lasts longer than a month or two.

Stub
August 24th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Like Andthetalltrees, I usually chop it all off about every 5-6 years and start over. Only, I usually shave my head with the 3/8" clippers instead of just cutting my hair. Last time I wanted a change I tried bleaching it with sun-in, and used 2 whole bottles on my BSL hair and ruined it, so a month later I shaved it anyway and started over. I don't regret those things though, and I usually end up keeping it shaved for at least 6 months before starting to grow again. It's so EASY. Right now my hair has been in a stall at WL since November and I am actually surprised I have not gotten bored with waiting it out yet. But my goal these days is a braid to hip, and I'm nowhere near close to that yet, so I just braid it and forget it.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 24th, 2017, 04:46 PM
I will put it up and forget about it, get busy with life for a while, or wash it (I always love it on wash day), learn a new style and if I get really upset with it, I get a new hair toy :) Plus I often use the two week rule and that has never failed me.

spidermom
August 24th, 2017, 05:33 PM
1) Buy some new clips, sticks, forks, and/or barrettes to dress up your hair.
2) Hurry up quick put your hair up - out of sight out of mind - and get busy with something more interesting to you.

Dark40
August 24th, 2017, 05:58 PM
I try new hairstyles. I do dye my hair. The kind of dye I use is Clairol Nice N Easy. It doesn't damage my hair at all, and I've been using that product ever since I was 18 years old, and now I'm 45. It has never broken off nor damaged my hair! I always like to experiment and explore with different colors when I get bored with my hair. I am trying to go lighter leaving from black dye, and I am succeeding! I have went from black to auburn within a 5 month period! I only color my hair every 4 months.

wispe
August 24th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Learn a new hairdo. Practice a difficult braid I haven't done in a while. Have a pamper-me day and include deep treating my hair in the process. Shop (or online window-shop) for hairtoys or hair products. Find new hairstyle inspiration on instagram and pinterest. Try a new method of heatless curls. ETC.

But I'm rarely bored with my hair. Too lazy to do new things? sure, sometimes, but because I incorporate these things pretty regularly into my life I find I get inspired to try new things and appreciate my hair more often because of it.

katydid317
August 24th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Usually that's when I chop it all off and then immediately start to grow it again :rolleyes: . Probably best thing is maybe try to ignore it until it goes away or you really know that you want to change something dramatically

That's what always happens to me and so far I've barely made it past APL as an adult. My plan this time around is to sit on the urge. Keep my hair up and out of sight and spend lots of time watching hair tutorials on YouTube and hanging out on LHC.

meteor
August 24th, 2017, 07:58 PM
I haven't done this in a while (I should totally do it soon again though :p), but a way I make my hair feel "less boring" to me is by braiding a couple really small sections in my hair, so I always have a couple small accent braids poking out of my updos or when I wear my hair down. I tie them off with a small elastic, and they usually can look nice for about a month before I need to take them out. I also sometimes put hairwraps in my hair, I think theyre really cool and colourful! :D Also, I haven't tried them before and I'm not even sure what they're called, but I know you can also get feathers put in your hair too that last a while. :)

They are usually called "feather extensions" - pretty easy to find online or DIY. ;)

Oh, and I do the same thing with little accent braids and I love it. :agree: I just reuse the same accent braids in different updos (like Haartraum here, for example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxt-l_f5nsQ). (It's also a nice cop-out for me since I can't do on-scalp braiding and braids where sectioning is constantly changing.) How do you manage to keep braids in after washing hair though? Don't accent braids get all fuzzy on you after a wash?

This is going to sound silly, but usually I spend a few days trying to do a crown braid. By the time the urge has passed, I'm all, "Yes, LWB's and cinnabuns are the best!"

Ha-ha! :lol: I do something similar, but with much simpler styles than the crown braid. I'll just try some multi-strand braid and by the time my arms start hurting and the hair tangles, I'm back to my English braid and the urge is over. :p

Chromis
August 24th, 2017, 08:31 PM
I don't get bored with my hair, but sometimes I get bored putting it up the same couple of ways or I reach a new length where things aren't working as well. I solve this by learning new styles. There are so many different updos and braids to learn even just here on LHC! Try the Hairstyle-of-the-Month threads for inspiration.

New hairtoys are always good for spicing things back up as well. I like to have them coordinate with my outfits.

j floor hair
August 24th, 2017, 09:52 PM
the longer my hair is the less bored i am with it

Arciela
August 24th, 2017, 10:17 PM
I put it up and forgot about it...usually wait a while and see if I change my mind..also avoid mirrors as others have mentioned..hehe it really helps :flower:

MsPharaohMoan
August 24th, 2017, 11:10 PM
Put an accent braid in it. Adds life to any bun.

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 24th, 2017, 11:59 PM
I usually trim. I trim once a month, and it really helps with the urges but I am a micro trimmer which may not work for some of you.
Either that or I will henna and indigo my roots. Or do a deep intensive hair treatment, maybe a scalp massage with some Indian herb infused oils.
I use to play with hair color, but no more as it ruins my hair so if I get an urge for change I usually just play with my hair and act out in different ways; buy clothing, get a new tattoo. Whatever, just leave the hair alone!

Islandgrrl
August 25th, 2017, 12:10 AM
Put it up and forget about it while you find something else to think about.

shelly123
August 25th, 2017, 01:19 AM
Ugg this is my weakness. I've found when I have an updo I don't think about it as much.

VersLaLumière
August 25th, 2017, 01:39 AM
Learning a new updo was helpful for me when I was feeling bored. Lately too my schedule's become really busy which helps...I don't even have much of a chance to pay attention to my hair, I just have to throw it up and run ! So maybe shifting the focus on to another favorite hobby or activity could be the trick :)

Also I agree with some of the others that bangs could help too, if you like the look of bangs on you (not everyone seems to like them). On me, I think it adds some interest by framing the face without having to cut the whole length or layer or alter color. They can be a pain to keep up with, though, so I periodically grow them out and start over.

Coral Grimes
August 25th, 2017, 06:13 AM
I have this battle with myself constantly and usually when I get bored with my hair I just impulsively chop it all off. This is the first time I haven't and I'm finding the longer it gets the easier it is to resist temptation. I keep wanting to cut a fringe again but as I've just grown mine out I am determined not to! I'm trying to do different updos instead of the same couple of styles every day. I've found recently that being more creative with my makeup distracts me from my hair as I have fun playing around with colours and so on.

Alibran
August 25th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Oh, and I do the same thing with little accent braids and I love it. :agree: I just reuse the same accent braids in different updos (like Haartraum here, for example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxt-l_f5nsQ).

If I ever need the inspiration to keep growing my hair, it's right there. I've always wanted to do accent braids, and she makes it look pretty easy.

Twig
August 25th, 2017, 02:48 PM
I do a ponytail and a ball cap and try to forget it. I also ordered some new accessories. I feel ya, going through this myself.

Tassledown
August 28th, 2017, 10:59 PM
Repeating the accent braids suggestion. Often I'll do what I call "Norse-like" braids of two or three on each side and one big one on top - I can try and do it and get a photo if you'd like an example?

The extra detail and attention it requires me to do to my hair helps a lot with breaking the monotony. If I oil them first or so they stay in longer, but then again you can also undo and redo them. While it does mean you're handling your hair more, it's much better to do that than dyes or chops - and you can use it to put in an oil treatment or the like.

leayellena
August 29th, 2017, 12:26 AM
I usually do nothing to my hair, even when I am bored. and maybe that is the problem; I should oil my hair, wear it down at home a little bit too maybe, using a hair mask more often and... resisting the urge to shampoo.
today something wonderful happened to me. I thought I´d wash my hair again (co-wash this time) because my hair felt greasy. uh! this summer...
but I somehow happened to look straigth at the place where my leave-in is. I applied some leave in, waited for 10 mins., then braided it. now I see my hair doesn´t feel and look greasy anymore.
PS: I will try garnier oils and I will still stick with my cien. stuff the quasi science used by elvital.. but the oil magique - I´d buy it :P

Natashap
August 29th, 2017, 01:10 AM
I try to make Henna mask and apply same day or get itchies.

Also comb more when bored.

embee
August 29th, 2017, 05:28 AM
I put it up and focus on something entirely different. It's like anything else: after a bit I am tired of fooling with X, so I need a change. That doesn't mean undoing all I did with X. Happens to me with the garden, with crochet, with hair, organizing my house, it's just part of life. :)

*Wednesday*
August 30th, 2017, 10:11 AM
I agree with Nique1202. You want longer hair, sacrifices will need to be made to retain length to reach your goal. Dying can dry out the hair and bleaching will most likely destroy it.

When you are bored means you are doing nothing. You don’t have to act on boredom. Idle hands is Clairol’s playground. Resist temptation and it will flee.

czech it out
August 30th, 2017, 01:53 PM
I settle on the desired change, then consult the LHC boards! 9 times/10 it's a horrible idea and these fine folks kindly talk me out of it. 😄

sanguinebread
August 30th, 2017, 08:59 PM
Probably the most frequent solution is to braid it or put it up and ignore it for a while.

Alternatively, do something that lets me appreciate the length and reminds me I want to keep it. Sometimes that means wearing it down inside the house for a few hours so I can feel it swishing around me; sometimes it means wash day (for texture) and once it's dry the next day styling it in a way that shows it off, like a half up or half back, and going out.

Looking for a new hairstyle to learn or window shopping for hair toys can help. So can wearing or buying new earrings or getting a new piercing, though the utility of the last one is limited. Sometimes just browsing pictures of other people's really cool hair/jewelry/clothing/etc, or drawing them, can satisfy the urge if it's an artistic one rather than a change something drastic about my life one.

Reyn127
August 31st, 2017, 11:03 AM
A couple of things I do is maybe a good S&D session - you get to use scissors but you're not really losing length, and your ends will end up in better condition! Also, I frequently try out various hairstyles on myself when I'm bored with my hair. I try something really cool looking, usually which I find off youtube, and really tend to not be too complicated when they're broken down.

AutobotsAttack
August 31st, 2017, 01:25 PM
I usually just touch on it sometimes, or give myself a scalp massage. Other than that I just deal with the boredom, or do something else.

lottiealice
September 1st, 2017, 12:56 PM
I get urges to bleach and dye my hair sea green/pastel pink/blonde, sometimes so shave it altogether or get a perm and cut it to chin, or to cut the sides (Lain Iwakura style) or get an undercut but usually I just suck it up because knee length hair (my goal) is harder to attain than any of that and takes longer. If I do really need a change and I can't reign it in, I'll go for henna or get my fringe trimmed, dye the ends, wear it down for a few days (two plaits are my go to).

bparnell75
September 1st, 2017, 03:10 PM
Try colored clip in extensions/streaks of hair. change the up-do looks around you re face with a side braid or pompadour. I just went through that and changed my face appearance with a more sleek back look.

hanne jensen
September 5th, 2017, 12:57 PM
I put it up and forget about it so I don't chop it off. I would bitterly regret chopping.

ShahMat
September 15th, 2017, 11:42 PM
First of all, I follow the 2 weeks rule to avoid decisions I will regret, especially when it comes to cutting/layering/getting bangs
Then, if I can't get my mind off of the idea of changing something, I wash my hair so I remember how lovely my hair can be !