PDA

View Full Version : The littlest scissor

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 22nd, 2017, 03:18 PM
So, I seem to notice that I tend to really only see and find splits when I'm out and about. I never can find them when I'm home and actually sit down with the shears, I tend to find them when I'm sitting in class or at work or am in my car. What to do? I thought maybe buying a small pair or two of shears to carry with me but I'm also afraid of getting into trouble for having little siscors in my purse. Could a pair of beard cutting shears work? They seem to be the only ones that are small enough that I can find.

What do I do?

Anje
August 22nd, 2017, 03:24 PM
I figure beard or grooming scissors are fine. Just make sure they're sharp, don't get used on not-hair, and don't fall open in a way that could blunt them when you carry them.

Why would you get in trouble for carrying scissors?

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 22nd, 2017, 03:50 PM
I figure beard or grooming scissors are fine. Just make sure they're sharp, don't get used on not-hair, and don't fall open in a way that could blunt them when you carry them.

Why would you get in trouble for carrying scissors?

Ah, well. They're considered a weapon. And I go to bars, public spots, and just go out a lot. It would be very weird to be carrying siscors around.

wispe
August 22nd, 2017, 03:58 PM
Lots of people carry around little scissors in little on-the-go kits (like sewing emergency kits or little nail kits) so I wouldn't worry about that aspect so long as they're stored safely in your bag/purse. I also agree that beard/grooming scissors sound just fine for on-the-go. I was actually thinking I needed to get a pair for my purse earlier today, haha.

MidnightMoon
August 22nd, 2017, 04:04 PM
I can't think of a situation where carrying scissors in your purse on regular daily activities would be a problem. I mean, I don't live in the US but that would be crazy af.
I'd get the small metal ones people use to cut nails. It's what I use to cut my ends when I want to and don't have anything else, anyway (I don't think scissors make a difference in avoiding hair splits, and I never get those anyway).

RedStripe
August 22nd, 2017, 04:07 PM
Or you could get a pair of those ones with the rounded ends that are made for children.

lithostoic
August 22nd, 2017, 04:21 PM
I don't see how carrying small scissors would be a problem. I carry a knife and a stun gun when I'm out lol. Never been an issue, even in high school where it wasn't allowed. (I got on the bus at 6:00am so it was usually dark. Teachers understood.). Sewing scissors are very sharp and little, would be a great choice!

enting
August 22nd, 2017, 04:23 PM
I agree that beard/moustache scissors or straight bladed nail scissors are probably great. Go for higher quality if you can. I don't know if they have Solingen brand where you are, but that's one brand that sticks out for me as decent quality and not too hard to find. (Whatever you do, do not use those flimsy little scissors that come in cheap sewing kits. They barely cut thread! or at least, not when I've tried to use them.)

I have been toying with the idea of wearing a very small pair of scissors on a chain as if it were one of those hairdresser charms, but that may be more problematic for you than just keeping it in your purse!

If you are going to keep them in your purse, I would keep them in their own little fabric or plastic sleeve, both to protect the blades from getting dinged and to protect the other contents of your purse from getting stabbed/slashed/cut.

ETA: What about folding scissors or embroidery thread trimmers? They are both quite small and sharp. I admit the folding scissors are probably more compact and less obviously dangerous. Thread trimmers might actually be a bad idea on second thought. The blades are open by default.

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 22nd, 2017, 04:26 PM
Or you could get a pair of those ones with the rounded ends that are made for children.

I don't believe those would be sharp enough for hair cutting, may cause more harm than good to the hair.

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 22nd, 2017, 04:28 PM
I can't think of a situation where carrying scissors in your purse on regular daily activities would be a problem. I mean, I don't live in the US but that would be crazy af.
I'd get the small metal ones people use to cut nails. It's what I use to cut my ends when I want to and don't have anything else, anyway (I don't think scissors make a difference in avoiding hair splits, and I never get those anyway).

Ah. Yeah I travel a lot. Id just be afraid of getting them confiscated.

enting
August 22nd, 2017, 04:38 PM
Oh goodness, I came across this on youtube while googling for ideas for you. They're so small and so sharp! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7L4U_2qChQ

ETA: and of course they're out of stock on their website. Fail.

ETA2: These are in stock. They look like a pen or marker when capped. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCQZRFV?psc=1

I have no idea if this would suit you.

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 22nd, 2017, 06:19 PM
Oh goodness, I came across this on youtube while googling for ideas for you. They're so small and so sharp! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7L4U_2qChQ

ETA: and of course they're out of stock on their website. Fail.

ETA2: These are in stock. They look like a pen or marker when capped. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCQZRFV?psc=1

I have no idea if this would suit you.

Something like that would be perfect! I'm afraid however of getting something too blunt. Afraid of them not being sharp enough.

enting
August 23rd, 2017, 01:28 AM
I definitely hear you with that worry.

As someone who sews, thread clippers are really really sharp, especially when new. (I have used thread clippers for hair on occasion.) They may dull faster than high quality scissors, but I'm thinking on the scale of years to decades, not months.

I edited above to add the suggestion of folding scissors before I saw that I had no longer been the last comment. I don't know if you saw that. I also don't know whether thread clippers or folding scissors would be sharper.

Might it be worth buying one or two options and seeing for yourself how your hair likes them? Maybe don't start out with a full blown S&D at first, just keep to one smaller area to note how your hair reacts to your purchase?

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 25th, 2017, 12:09 AM
I definitely hear you with that worry.

As someone who sews, thread clippers are really really sharp, especially when new. (I have used thread clippers for hair on occasion.) They may dull faster than high quality scissors, but I'm thinking on the scale of years to decades, not months.

I edited above to add the suggestion of folding scissors before I saw that I had no longer been the last comment. I don't know if you saw that. I also don't know whether thread clippers or folding scissors would be sharper.

Might it be worth buying one or two options and seeing for yourself how your hair likes them? Maybe don't start out with a full blown S&D at first, just keep to one smaller area to note how your hair reacts to your purchase?

Ill have to think about buying these then. I need something small and easy to fit into my thin small purse without looking like im garnishing a weapon lol

lapushka
August 25th, 2017, 04:15 AM
Maybe get sewing scissors, these tiny embroidery ones - they are dead sharp:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/312NWK631VL.jpg

Coral Grimes
August 25th, 2017, 07:19 AM
I have a pocket size multi-tool (the kind you take camping) that has a tiny pair of scissors. Mine is Silverline (it comes with a little pouch so is pretty discreet) but you can all sorts of different ones really cheap on amazon.