PDA

View Full Version : Rapeseed/ Canola oil

bandicoot
August 21st, 2017, 01:55 PM
Have had a look and can't see much about this anywhere. Has anyone used Rapeseed or Canola oil on their hair and what you thoughts on it etc. :)

lapushka
August 21st, 2017, 02:36 PM
I haven't used these oils (yet).

What I have used is jojoba, macadamia, coconut, olive, sweet almond (for 42 years!) and baby oil... yes baby oil (in severe moderation it is a terrific moisture sealant).

Good luck finding people who have tried it! :thumbsup: :)

bandicoot
August 21st, 2017, 02:40 PM
Thank you :) I haven't heard of using almond oil before so might look into that and give it a go, Always looking for new ideas! 42 years!! Wow you must have amazingly healthy hair!!

Haha thank you it seems there might be no one that has :)

Arctic
August 21st, 2017, 02:42 PM
I have tried rapeseed oil, it's my favourite next to olive oil. My hair likes it a lot, alas my skin can't handle oils so I avoid them most of the time.

bandicoot
August 21st, 2017, 02:46 PM
ahh perfect :) I have been wanting to try it. I did apply some to my ends and they felt so soft. Did you apply the oil to your whole scalp? I've heard it has a lot more omega 3 and 6 than olive oil so was curious if it works.

lapushka
August 21st, 2017, 02:48 PM
Thank you :) I haven't heard of using almond oil before so might look into that and give it a go, Always looking for new ideas! 42 years!! Wow you must have amazingly healthy hair!!

Haha thank you it seems there might be no one that has :)

I used it for my extremely dry skin mainly. Our internist recommended it to my mom when I was 3. In the last number of years I have used it on my hair occasionally. I stick to baby oil for the most part now (never oil my scalp though!)

One point to consider is that if you oil the scalp and you notice more shedding than if you don't oil, then stop oiling your scalp immediately. It is not normal. It could potentially lead to thinning hair. A number of members have had this experience.

bandicoot
August 21st, 2017, 02:49 PM
I used it for my extremely dry skin mainly. Our internist recommended it to my mom when I was 3. In the last number of years I have used it on my hair occasionally. I stick to baby oil for the most part now (never oil my scalp though!)

I might try some baby oil too then i have two daughters so got plenty lying around :)

lapushka
August 21st, 2017, 03:35 PM
I might try some baby oil too then i have two daughters so got plenty lying around :)

If you are using it just as a "serum" after your wash, literally 1 to 2 drops are going to be enough. Trust me on that. Put it in a dropper bottle! Then drip some in the palm of your hand, spread it through your palms by rubbing them together and smooth over the lengths / very ends! It is very detangling and keeps moisture locked in for *days*!

You can also use it in the rinse-out oil method (see link in my signature). I use about 10 drops for that (never on the scalp, only on the last 3 or so inches of my hair), but it is an entirely different procedure.

bandicoot
August 22nd, 2017, 06:39 PM
If you are using it just as a "serum" after your wash, literally 1 to 2 drops are going to be enough. Trust me on that. Put it in a dropper bottle! Then drip some in the palm of your hand, spread it through your palms by rubbing them together and smooth over the lengths / very ends! It is very detangling and keeps moisture locked in for *days*!

You can also use it in the rinse-out oil method (see link in my signature). I use about 10 drops for that (never on the scalp, only on the last 3 or so inches of my hair), but it is an entirely different procedure.

Perfect i will give this a try :)

Katia_k
August 22nd, 2017, 09:05 PM
I used to use canola oil. It did fine, but I switched to almond. It's a bit lighter and doesn't smell so much to me.

bandicoot
August 25th, 2017, 11:15 AM
I used to use canola oil. It did fine, but I switched to almond. It's a bit lighter and doesn't smell so much to me.

Thank you :) Im definitely going to try the almond oil.

enting
November 19th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Bumping this slightly old thread to say that my hair seems to adore cold pressed canola oil. I haven't tried refined canola on it, but cold pressed is just a dream. It makes my hair soft, adds slip, yet doesn't make my hair feel coated. It works best as a prepoo so far for me. It's definitely competing with sesame oil as my favorite hair oil. I also don't mind the smell, I tend to like my hair to smell earthy/grassy.

Beeboo123
November 19th, 2017, 11:14 AM
I use canola oil in my cooking. My hair grows abnormally fast. I’m not sure if the two are linked, but I would like to think it is

hobbitlocks
November 19th, 2017, 11:51 AM
The couple times I used canola oil as a pre-shampoo oil, it made my hair REALLY soft and shiny. I think it's because it has a lot of ceramides? However, everytime I used it I also broke out on my face (even though I didn't put it on my scalp or really even that close to my face) so I stopped using it since no other oils have had that effect for me.

enting
November 19th, 2017, 02:54 PM
That's too bad hobbitlocks, it sounds like otherwise your hair would have loved it. I think it is the ceramides that have that effect, but there are plenty of other oils out there with a similar ceramide content. My skin didn't seem to mind it at all, it might even like it. I'm glad of that. I notice it makes the skin on my hands really silky, too, which is useful with winter coming on.

I notice that it is a very yellow oil. I wonder if that means it's a bad choice for those with lots of silvers. :hmm:

Jo Ann
November 19th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Rapeseed is a real thing?? :confused: I always thought it was a typo for grapeseed!

Live and learn :)

enting
November 20th, 2017, 01:23 AM
Rapeseed is a real thing?? :confused: I always thought it was a typo for grapeseed!

Live and learn :)

It is! The odd thing is that in some countries they don't even write out the entire name. That results in selling Rape Oil on grocery shelves. I don't know who would want to buy it with that name. Canola is basically a specially bred strain of rapeseed that has a different fatty acid profile, so they're not totally identical, but canola is a type of rapeseed.

I believe the name comes from the word meaning turnip, but I have to double check that.

ETA: Ah, yes, here we are. First line in the etymology section on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapeseed#Etymology_and_common_names

The entry also seems to indicate that just rape without the -seed is an acceptable naming. Well then.

Priska
December 30th, 2022, 03:44 AM
And I thought safflower is a typo for sunflower 😂 Or a result of a bad dictation machine.

Sorry but I find so great old conversations here that I can't help answering them... 😁

shelomit
December 30th, 2022, 03:14 PM
My cousins and aunt live in a major canola-producing region (Dakotas). It took me many years to learn that those bright yellow fields, which we always called "rape," had any connection to the "canola" oil in the grocery stores!

I don't often have canola oil in my kitchen, but when I do I've used it for pre-wash heavy oiling. My only "review," I suppose, is that it's lighter and more easily spread than a lot of other cooking oils.

gghh
December 30th, 2022, 11:46 PM
I had no idea canola oil could be used on hair. My hair tends to really love oils so i’m curious to try this out

gghh
January 20th, 2023, 10:51 AM
Update: I made a new batch of oil like last week and decided to include canola oil. I depend on this mix to help finger detangle as well as moisturize my ends every day. So far, it looks like my hair really loves it. It works great with the other oils I use (coconut and olive oil), detangling is very easy, and it leaves my hair feeling very soft.