PDA

View Full Version : Cut from waist to chin

sarahthegemini
August 21st, 2017, 12:55 PM
I cut my hair from waist-ish to chin last week and couldn't be happier. Styling it is very different tho - with my long hair I wore it up all day every day in a cinnabun. My hair is super slippery and this is the only style my hair would hold. Even then it had to be bunned quite snuggly to stay put and hairs would inevitably break from the tension.

Now I have to wash it daily which I'm okay with because I was starting to wash daily anyway (rather than every other day) because my hair was getting dirty quicker. I also have to blow dry it lightly to get it to lay right but even so I'm far less stressed about it! This only takes about 5 minutes and then I wait at most an hour for the rest to air dry.

I've already decided that Sundays will be my 'off' day - I. E. The day I give my hair a break and forgo washing it. I don't usually leave the house on a Sunday anyway :) I might even try some pre wash oiling throughout the week.

My only concern is I get little knots at the tips of my hair and when I comb, I can feel these knots. I wonder if a little oil at the tips would help?

This is kind of a ramble but any tips for caring for short hair would be great!

lapushka
August 21st, 2017, 01:31 PM
OMG. NO! Seriously? Well, apart from the shock all that really and truly matters is that you're happy with the cut.

I was contemplating a cut to BSL before my wash this Sunday, to tell you guys the truth, and after it was washed, and now on my first day of wearing it up - I am so glad I didn't. It came in so handy today while sitting outside in the sun, that it was out of my way.

But you do you! :thumbsup:

Styling is different all right at that length. I had a curler-brush-dryer (what do you call those thingies), so I could smooth the underside and top layer (because with my poof), back when my hair was that length.

Daily washing, I bet, is pretty easy with shorter hair. :)

Maybe a nice serum, or a couple drops of oil will do the trick, yes! For sure try that. Or, a leave in after your wash? Anything you can do to help keep the moisture in will help.

Good luck with your new style and hairdo!
I hope you enjoy it. :D

Corvana
August 21st, 2017, 01:36 PM
Oh my! What a cut! But yes, I second trying out an oil.

There's a thread for shorties not focused on growing anymore, as well! So you'll have company still for sure!

Sarahlabyrinth
August 21st, 2017, 04:12 PM
Ooh, that's a big cut! Enjoy your new length:)

Diana_Prince
August 21st, 2017, 06:59 PM
Would love to see before and after photos!

divinedobbie
August 21st, 2017, 07:58 PM
Would love to see before and after photos!

Seconding :)

I really love long hair but there is certainly something about a new fresh cut. No tips here but I hope you continue enjoying it!

spidermom
August 21st, 2017, 08:03 PM
Enjoy! I have certainly enjoyed my shoulder-length cut, but I'm contemplating growing it out. I'm not sure if I will, though; it's so easy at this length.

Stray_mind
August 22nd, 2017, 08:18 AM
I cut my hair from waist-ish to chin last week and couldn't be happier. Styling it is very different tho - with my long hair I wore it up all day every day in a cinnabun. My hair is super slippery and this is the only style my hair would hold. Even then it had to be bunned quite snuggly to stay put and hairs would inevitably break from the tension.

Now I have to wash it daily which I'm okay with because I was starting to wash daily anyway (rather than every other day) because my hair was getting dirty quicker. I also have to blow dry it lightly to get it to lay right but even so I'm far less stressed about it! This only takes about 5 minutes and then I wait at most an hour for the rest to air dry.

I've already decided that Sundays will be my 'off' day - I. E. The day I give my hair a break and forgo washing it. I don't usually leave the house on a Sunday anyway :) I might even try some pre wash oiling throughout the week.

My only concern is I get little knots at the tips of my hair and when I comb, I can feel these knots. I wonder if a little oil at the tips would help?

This is kind of a ramble but any tips for caring for short hair would be great!

Ahh, i remember when i chopped my hip lenght hair to chin about a year ago. I am glad you are happy wity your cut though, i was happy too, but then i got annoyed at how i can't really put my hair up or do much with it in general. I still don't regret my chop, it was a great change, just what i needed hahaha :D

Check your hair for split ends where the knots are forming. If there aren't any, i think a bit of oil should work.

HairPlease
August 22nd, 2017, 08:50 AM
Congratulations on your new haircut. I hope it feels liberating and fun for a long time! I had my hair above shoulder for a while after being mid-back, and the one thing that bugged me was not being able to put it in my typical long english braid. I miss that braid. With my layers, I still can't get it looking right. Short is fun, too, so enjoy!

Cherriezzzzz
August 22nd, 2017, 09:32 AM
This worries me a tiny bit as I'm a fanatic about hair cutting sissors... your hair should be in the best condition after a cut like that? I'm wondering why your ends are knotted to begin with? I'm worried the hairdresser didn't have their scissors properly sharpened. As that can cause damage to the snipped ends... hence causing tangles in what should be damage free hair. Silicone serum would be my first resort before I had it trimmed again... making sure those scissors are up to par!

Unrelated to thee above, I loooooove my hair waist length and chin length :) I'm so happy you do as well!

sarahthegemini
August 22nd, 2017, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys :) It's odd because I've been contemplating chopping for ages but always talked myself out of it. This time I just thought screw it, I went the next day. I was worried I'd have instant regret but nooooo I and still am so pleased I did it. It's been a week now ;)

I remember enjoying argan and sweet almond oil so I'll give one of those a try again.

It's so refreshing only being in the shower for 10 minutes. I feel like I can enjoy my hair again :D

sarahthegemini
August 22nd, 2017, 09:57 AM
This worries me a tiny bit as I'm a fanatic about hair cutting sissors... your hair should be in the best condition after a cut like that? I'm wondering why your ends are knotted to begin with? I'm worried the hairdresser didn't have their scissors properly sharpened. As that can cause damage to the snipped ends... hence causing tangles in what should be damage free hair. Silicone serum would be my first resort before I had it trimmed again... making sure those scissors are up to par!

Unrelated to thee above, I loooooove my hair waist length and chin length :) I'm so happy you do as well!

Meh, I assume the knots are simply from my hair being down. They're only tiny knots, nothing that doesn't 'fix itself' when co washing :)

pailin
August 22nd, 2017, 10:10 AM
At chin length I usually still used a leave-in conditioner to calm my hair down and give it some weight. So I wouldn't be surprised if you find that or some oil or something to be helpful.

- Lizzy -
August 22nd, 2017, 11:10 AM
I loved having hair a little below the chin! I bet it looks gorgeous. I do miss that legnth at times because of how cute it was :p

Kat-Rinnč Naido
August 22nd, 2017, 11:55 AM
Enjoy your new hair length and change in style.

sarahthegemini
August 22nd, 2017, 01:53 PM
Also I'm told it makes me look older! I'm 27 and routinely get mistaken for a school child so this is fabulous :D

lapushka
August 22nd, 2017, 02:01 PM
Oh that's great. I'm 45, and people often think I'm late 20s early 30s. I don't mind. ;)

sarahthegemini
August 22nd, 2017, 02:06 PM
Oh that's great. I'm 45, and people often think I'm late 20s early 30s. I don't mind. ;)

I wouldn't mind so much if I was mistaken for an 18 year old but being told I'm 14 is a bit embarrassing :p

Joyful Mystery
August 22nd, 2017, 02:49 PM
That is quite a change! I'm glad you're happy with it :)