PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a cone-free conditioner with lots of slip!

xoChesleyy
August 20th, 2017, 08:18 PM
Hi all! I am wondering if anyone knows of a good cone-free conditioner that provides lots of moisture and slip (preferably easy to find at my local Wal-Mart/drugstore). It does not matter if the conditioner has protein or not.

I am driving myself mad searching through seemingly endless ingredients lists only to find cones in 99% of them. I saw a few posts here about the Tresemme Perfectly (Un)Done conditioner and many here recommended it, saying it gives lots of slip for a cone-free conditioner, but unfortunately I cannot find it locally which makes me think it has been discontinued. :(

I am currently using VO5 conditioner for my first "C" in co washing and have been following it up with the SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Marfura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner, but I would prefer something with more hydration and slip.

Anyone have any good recommendations? :)

mira-chan
August 20th, 2017, 08:30 PM
Watching this.

I also use V05 and Shea Moisture conditioners now. One suggestion is to use V05 as a leave in. Put it on dripping wet hair but don't rinse out. It give more slip and moisture.

xoChesleyy
August 20th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the tip! I'll be trying that next wash day (which is tomorrow). :D

Do you apply the VO5 to your ends only or do you apply a bit to the length as well? Also, do you seal in the moisture with an oil or anything afterwards?

Frankenstein
August 20th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Maui Moisture conditioners are cone-free but moisturizing and have pretty good slip. I've tried the agave and bamboo ones and liked both.

mira-chan
August 20th, 2017, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the tip! I'll be trying that next wash day (which is tomorrow). :D

Do you apply the VO5 to your ends only or do you apply a bit to the length as well? Also, do you seal in the moisture with an oil or anything afterwards?

I apply it to as much of the length as possible without touching the scalp. It helps me reduce frizz and with wave formation too.

I don't use oil on damp or wet hair at all so no I don't seal it. The V05 as is is enough till it dries. It helps my hair feel less like coarse wire. For me personally oil on wet/damp hair ended up with nasty looking "seaweed hair" where it dries in greasy clumps, even with a light application. I only oil on dry hair, which works really well for me.

I am testing putting the Shea Moisture gel on dripping wet hair instead and that's working well too but it's easy to put to much for me and get that seaweed hair. I'm testing this because I bought the gel and really should use it up so this is me trying creative uses for it. On damp or dry hair this was a fail for me, but on dripping wet, it works to smooth down frizz and lock in moisture.

Crystawni
August 20th, 2017, 09:06 PM
TRESemmé Botanique Nourish and Replenish (aka Restore and Shine) is also a good one. Thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136663).

Anje
August 21st, 2017, 02:22 AM
My favorite no-cone slip ingredient is behentrimonium methylsulfate (aka behentrimonium methosulfonate). Behentrimonium chloride is also good. Look for something with one of those high in the ingredients. I don't have a specific suggestion at the moment that's cone-free (it's 4am and my brain isn't indexing at capacity yet), but there are some out there if you feel like reading labels.

Crystawni
August 21st, 2017, 02:39 AM
My favorite no-cone slip ingredient is behentrimonium methylsulfate (aka behentrimonium methosulfonate). Behentrimonium chloride is also good. Look for something with one of those high in the ingredients. I don't have a specific suggestion at the moment that's cone-free (it's 4am and my brain isn't indexing at capacity yet), but there are some out there if you feel like reading labels.

Behentrimonium methosulphate is in my absolute fave AUSTRALIAN NATIVE BOTANICALS Moisturising Replenishing Conditioner For Dry + Damaged Hair (https://www.priceline.com.au/hair/hair-care/shampoo-and-conditioner/australian-native-botanicals-moisturising-replenishing-conditioner-for-dry-damaged-hair-1-l), the normal hair (https://www.priceline.com.au/hair/hair-care/shampoo-and-conditioner/australian-native-botanicals-everyday-nourishing-conditioner-for-normal-hair-1-l) version and other conditioners in the range, but I'm not sure if you can buy it overseas. Otherwise the two runner's up (that I use), TRESemmé UnDone and Botanique Restore & Shine have the behentrimonium chloride in them. So, yeah, I can back up the slip factor. :D

ReadingRenee
August 21st, 2017, 09:13 AM
Tresseme perfectly undone is great! I can't find mine locally either, but I got it shipped to my local walmart for free. I just had to buy it online, like shipping it from the site to the store. I have to warn you though, it has kind of a strong smell, apparently it uses kelp extract. I can't smell it once its dry though. :)

Obsidian
August 21st, 2017, 09:17 AM
Tresemme perfectly undone is my go to cone free condish. I can only find it at one place and thats shopko. I make sure to keep a extra bottle on hand just in case they stop carrying it too.

Arete
August 21st, 2017, 10:07 AM
Marshmallow root tea soak and rinse. More slip or equal to most silicone conditioners. Doesn't pull my wave out. I love it!

xoChesleyy
August 22nd, 2017, 11:17 PM
I apply it to as much of the length as possible without touching the scalp. It helps me reduce frizz and with wave formation too.

I don't use oil on damp or wet hair at all so no I don't seal it. The V05 as is is enough till it dries. It helps my hair feel less like coarse wire. For me personally oil on wet/damp hair ended up with nasty looking "seaweed hair" where it dries in greasy clumps, even with a light application. I only oil on dry hair, which works really well for me.

I am testing putting the Shea Moisture gel on dripping wet hair instead and that's working well too but it's easy to put to much for me and get that seaweed hair. I'm testing this because I bought the gel and really should use it up so this is me trying creative uses for it. On damp or dry hair this was a fail for me, but on dripping wet, it works to smooth down frizz and lock in moisture.

I tried it out and have found that my hair likes VO5 as a leave-in! :)

Behentrimonium methosulphate is in my absolute fave AUSTRALIAN NATIVE BOTANICALS Moisturising Replenishing Conditioner For Dry + Damaged Hair (https://www.priceline.com.au/hair/hair-care/shampoo-and-conditioner/australian-native-botanicals-moisturising-replenishing-conditioner-for-dry-damaged-hair-1-l), the normal hair (https://www.priceline.com.au/hair/hair-care/shampoo-and-conditioner/australian-native-botanicals-everyday-nourishing-conditioner-for-normal-hair-1-l) version and other conditioners in the range, but I'm not sure if you can buy it overseas. Otherwise the two runner's up (that I use), TRESemmé UnDone and Botanique Restore & Shine have the behentrimonium chloride in them. So, yeah, I can back up the slip factor. :D

Thank you for this information! I ended up purchasing the Botanique Restore & Shine conditioner and it did have lots of slip for a cone-free! My hair seemed to like it so I'm going to continue using it unless I end up finding another conditioner that works even better.

I still would like to try out the Perfectly Undone conditioner, but I will have to order this for pick-up from my local Wal-Mart (thanks ReadingRenee, I'm glad it isn't discontinued before getting the chance to try it out :p)!

Thanks everyone else for your input! :flower:

mira-chan
August 23rd, 2017, 11:25 AM

Thank you for this information! I ended up purchasing the Botanique Restore & Shine conditioner and it did have lots of slip for a cone-free! My hair seemed to like it so I'm going to continue using it unless I end up finding another conditioner that works even better.

I still would like to try out the Perfectly Undone conditioner, but I will have to order this for pick-up from my local Wal-Mart (thanks ReadingRenee, I'm glad it isn't discontinued before getting the chance to try it out :p)!

I'm glad it helped. :) It is a light enough conditioner to be a leave in on coarser hair. For me it adds a bit more weight to the hair so it doesn't do it's usual attempt to communicate with beings from space, as much.

lithostoic
August 23rd, 2017, 12:09 PM
Shea Moisture argan and almond conditioner! It has marshmallow root. It's so slippery that I only use it in deep treatments.

ReadingRenee
August 23rd, 2017, 05:26 PM

Glad I could help! Yes I was really happy to find out that I could order it for pick up too. I hope it works well for you. :) I am going to have to check out the Botanique Restore and Shine conditioner now as well.

ReadingRenee
August 23rd, 2017, 05:27 PM
I'm glad it helped. :) It is a light enough conditioner to be a leave in on coarser hair. For me it adds a bit more weight to the hair so it doesn't do it's usual attempt to communicate with beings from space, as much.

LOL! My hair has an earnest desire to communicate with beings from space as well. :D

BlueEyeBrunette
August 23rd, 2017, 09:39 PM
The Acure Hydrating Conditioner is amazing. The ingredients list is incredible! It includes argan oil and extract and fruit extracts. I had been searching for a great conditioner without sulfates/silicones and I just recently discovered it :o
https://www.amazon.com/ACURE-Hydrating-Conditioner-Argan-Ounce/dp/B00EK0EEI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503545789&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=acure%2Bconditioner&th=1