PDA

View Full Version : Does this look like a receding hairline?

skullandsquid
August 20th, 2017, 04:00 PM
I'm 17 years old. Everyone in my family (including my mom) have hairlines that go far back into the corners of their forehead. Nobody in my family suffers from male patterned baldness but I feel like mine is receding? Really nervous. Please be honest.
https://pre08.deviantart.net/61d1/th/pre/i/2017/232/b/e/untitled_by_babymoonjellies-dbkr0zv.jpghttps://pre02.deviantart.net/bd12/th/pre/i/2017/232/8/1/untitled_by_babymoonjellies-dbkr14b.jpg

Obsidian
August 20th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Do you have any older pictures? No way we can know if its receding without seeing it when you were younger.

MidnightMoon
August 20th, 2017, 04:08 PM
I'd prefer a picture from the front, at eye level, not focusing on your forehead, that just makes it look larger and will probably influence people's answers.
If you know it's a common thing in your family, and the rest of the men have had the same hairline since young, why worry?
You seem to have a bunch of hair aside from those areas. My sister's husband has the same pattern, and it's accentuated by hair combed back, but I don't see any difference from his hair now and what it was 10 years ago.
I am no hair expert, and I'd guess you'd have to monitor your hair, take pictures for an extended period of time. Only you know what it looked like 1, 2, 3 years ago. From just one pic, I'd just say that's how your hair grows.

KlutzyChy1
August 20th, 2017, 04:10 PM
My boyfriends hairline looks similar to yours. He used to worry about it in his early 20s but he's 40 now & it's never changed & his hair has never started to thin. He used to stress & be self-conscious for ages but overtime he's grown comfortable with it. I wouldn't worry about it so much, especially if the rest of your family has similar hairlines. You'll drive yourself crazy & waste so much time worrying!

Anje
August 20th, 2017, 04:22 PM
It could be. On the other hand, you're also at the right age to be transitioning to a more mature adult (and typically masculine) hairline, which tends to have thin hair or no hair at the corners of the forehead. Many, many adult men (and a large number of women) have hairlines like that, without it receding further. By contrast, children and teenagers tend to have more hair at the corners.

Corvana
August 20th, 2017, 04:57 PM
It also looks, to me, like there is hair there it's just very very blonde and wispy.

skullandsquid
August 20th, 2017, 05:11 PM
Thank you everyone for your input! :D

FennFire911
August 20th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Looks totally normal to me.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 20th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Looks normal enough to me. And you say all your family has it, it's likely just how your family grows hair. I wouldn't worry about it, and you look to have plenty of hair, too :)

DweamGoiL
August 20th, 2017, 06:57 PM
I also second seeing a picture of a few years back. There is no way to tell if it's receding if we can't see if it has changed over time.

Jo Ann
August 20th, 2017, 07:06 PM
As men get older, they go from the rounded hairline from childhood to an M-shaped hairline, similar to yours. I have two sons at home (they are eighteen and thirty) and four step-sons, and their hairlines are similar to yours.

Yours looks pretty normal to me. If it's really bothering you, bring it up with your doctor at your next appointment.

lapushka
August 21st, 2017, 04:19 AM
Yes, no way to tell, if we can't compare. Also you say it's common in your family and that no one has "issues" whatsoever, so I would go by that.

I see nothing problematic, TBH.

FuzzyBlackWaves
August 21st, 2017, 04:59 AM
This looks like my partner's hairline. He's had it all his life. I think it's more of a genetic shape than recession.

enting
August 21st, 2017, 02:56 PM
Male pattern baldness often includes thinning at the crown of the head. If there isn't thinning back at the crown, I suspect this is just a mature hairline. I'll second the others and say go consult with a doctor if you're concerned. It may also be useful to photo-document your hair from several angles every year or so (or every few months if you really feel anxious about it) just to check up on it and keep track of any changes.

skullandsquid
August 28th, 2017, 08:34 PM
https://pre14.deviantart.net/c436/th/pre/f/2017/240/0/7/untitled_by_babymoonjellies-dblnw9v.png
for everyone asking for a head on photo! my dad is on the left.

iforgotmylogin
August 29th, 2017, 04:20 AM
You're doomed. Time to buy a razor for a preemptive strike

In all seriousness it doesn't look receded to me

lapushka
August 29th, 2017, 04:25 AM
Nah, I wouldn't worry. I also would not start obsessing over it; there's no end to that and it's a slippery slope to be on.

Suze
August 29th, 2017, 06:57 AM
Looks completely normal to me, love the shape of your hairline actually. And I agree with Lapushka, once you start obsessing over it, it's really hard to stop. Know this from experience, sadley.