PDA

View Full Version : Chignon help!

Tangles
October 27th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I really, really want to learn how to do a chignon like this one (doesn't have to be as thick, I'm just digging the shape and smoothness)

http://www.filmfestivalrotterdam.com/filmdb/380/7d9ba2bd-24e7-44d8-b53a-b2f697cde164.jpg

Possible for APL hair or not?

amaiaisabella
October 27th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I hope so! It looks really neat, and could easily work in a professional setting :)

Butterflylady
October 27th, 2008, 05:59 PM
That's a really beautiful updo. I'd like to learn it too.

jojo
October 27th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Its lovely but I think your hair would have to be at least BSL to gte this effect, not long to go Tangles x

Tangles
October 27th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Hmm, well something to look forward to, I'm simply looking for an elegant everyday hairstyle to get me through the waiting period from APL to BSL.

Wavelength
October 27th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I can do this type of chignon, but my hair is past my waist. It's pretty easy though. I'm trying to remember when I first started doing this style -- I think it was between BSL and waist (but closer to waist).

ETA: If you're still interested I'll try to get my hubby to take a video of me demonstrating how I do it. I kind of do a "wrap the tail around my wrist, twist and pull through" sort of thing. It's pretty stable.

atlantaz3
October 27th, 2008, 06:24 PM
It doesn't look that difficult I think just make a low pony tail. Split the hair into two sections. Make a bun with one section. Wrap the remaining section around the bun, flattening so it's wide like the picture. Maybe add some aloe or oil to keep smooth and shiny.

jojo
October 27th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Hmm, well something to look forward to, I'm simply looking for an elegant everyday hairstyle to get me through the waiting period from APL to BSL.

just thought there is a way! do a low down sock bun and leave a lock of hair free to wrap round the bun, im going to try this!

arylkin
October 27th, 2008, 06:51 PM
ETA: If you're still interested I'll try to get my hubby to take a video of me demonstrating how I do it. I kind of do a "wrap the tail around my wrist, twist and pull through" sort of thing. It's pretty stable.

It would be wonderful if you could post a video. :)

Arctic
October 28th, 2008, 03:38 AM
It's not complitely clear to me what is the difference between bun and a chignon? Can someone explain, please?

Finoriel
October 28th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Bun > English term, chignon > French term :)
Chignon is often used for a more elegant kind of updo and bun more for ordinary/everyday ones, but basically itīs the same from my understanding.

Arctic
October 28th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Bun > English term, chignon > French term :)
Chignon is often used for a more elegant kind of updo and bun more for ordinary/everyday ones, but basically itīs the same from my understanding.

Thank you :flowers:

AngelInDisguise
October 28th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Wavelenght, I would highly appreciate a 'how-to-do-instruction'.

I know my hair is far too short for this kind of style, but I like collecting styles and keep dreaming of the day I will finally managet to wear some of them...

Periwinkle
October 28th, 2008, 06:15 AM
My shower bun is very like this. I normally do it in two seconds flat and cover it with a showercap so it's a bit of an eyesore, but if you did it neatly, I'm pretty sure you'd get something similar to this.

What I do is this: gather all my hair into a ponytail and pass and elastic over it once. Then I start wrapping the length of the hair around the base. In order to make this easier, faster and more secure, I generally keep two fingers on top of the base. This is what gives the bit in the middle that's sort of like a loop sticking out from the head. When I've wrapped all the length, I pass the elastic over again to hold it securely.

I'm pretty sure you could manage this method on your hair at APL. To use up less length, you could try putting only one finger above the pony when you wrap; I only use two because my super-thick hair is getting a bit long to secure with the elastic like this and a bigger loop in the middle makes it easier.

I can make a video of this if you want.

Tangles
October 28th, 2008, 07:37 AM
My shower bun is very like this. I normally do it in two seconds flat and cover it with a showercap so it's a bit of an eyesore, but if you did it neatly, I'm pretty sure you'd get something similar to this.

What I do is this: gather all my hair into a ponytail and pass and elastic over it once. Then I start wrapping the length of the hair around the base. In order to make this easier, faster and more secure, I generally keep two fingers on top of the base. This is what gives the bit in the middle that's sort of like a loop sticking out from the head. When I've wrapped all the length, I pass the elastic over again to hold it securely.

I'm pretty sure you could manage this method on your hair at APL. To use up less length, you could try putting only one finger above the pony when you wrap; I only use two because my super-thick hair is getting a bit long to secure with the elastic like this and a bigger loop in the middle makes it easier.

I can make a video of this if you want.

Oh, please do!

Tangles
October 28th, 2008, 07:40 AM
BTW--I always thought a chignon was more of a thick, wrapp-y looking bun, whereas a bun is just a casual messy knot. It's always been a clear distinction for me!

Wavelength
October 28th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Okay, I'll post a video of my version later tonight. I need hubby to hold the camera. ;)

ETA: Looking forward to seeing other people's versions as well!

Wavelength
October 28th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Found an old video of myself demonstrating this bun. I'm basically knotting my hair and then wrapping the tail under and around the top of the bun. In the video I use a scrunchie because that's what was handy, but if you use pins or scroos it holds very well as long as you tuck the end of the tail under the knot.

Also, I twist up the tail in this video, but if you want a wide band of hair over the bun, just don't twist it as much.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/wavelength/th_Bun3.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v724/wavelength/?action=view&current=Bun3.flv)

LaurelSpring
October 28th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I can do this type of chignon, but my hair is past my waist. It's pretty easy though. I'm trying to remember when I first started doing this style -- I think it was between BSL and waist (but closer to waist).

Hand Raised. Im interested! I would love to see the demonstration.

Wavelength
October 28th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Hand Raised. Im interested! I would love to see the demonstration.

See above post where I have a video link. ;)

lolabee
October 28th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Thank you!!!

AngelInDisguise
October 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Wavelength, thank you very much. Now I only have to wait till my hair is about 30 cms longer....

Tangles
October 28th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Tangles just died and went to heaven.

Wavelength
October 28th, 2008, 05:22 PM
You're quite welcome! Hope it helps! :)

Tangles
October 28th, 2008, 05:50 PM
This is what I meant when I said I went to heaven: I figured out how to do the chignon on APL hair with NO FORMS, SOCKS, OR TEASING!

ETA you can see the real color of my indigoed hair in this one. http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/lbphe/012.jpg

Tangles
October 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM
To do this, I simply made a ponytail halfway down my head, wove a thin strand of hair around my elastic band, and wrapped the rest of the hair around that rather intuitively. The messy version took about 2 mins; I imagine to get the slicked looking result in the original photo I posted, it would take more like 5 minutes. :P

The main thing I'm amazed at is how big it looks even though my hair is neither very long nor thick.

Katze
October 29th, 2008, 03:23 AM
ever since seeing this yesterday I have been trying to make it work...but with no success. Everything I do is see through and sticks out like a knob from my head. And the elastic is visible.

What am I doing wrong, apart from not being good at making buns and having extreme taper/thin ends?

Tangles
October 29th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Are you talking about the video method or mine?

You need to wrap enough hair around the elastic and then secure that with pins first.

Then, make a "loop" with about half of the remaining hair and tuck under with pins, like a ponytail tuck sort of. Finally, use the remaining hair to get the "wrappy" look.

That's how I did my little faux chignon, but it might not work for everyone; actually, it might be harder for BSL and longer hair, in which case you should probably try using the method in the video posted above.