PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss, and how you have recovered.

Synester
August 19th, 2017, 10:31 PM
In the past I have lost a great amount of hair and as much as I have recovered, it is not the same. You can see my scalp from the back of my head/top of my head very well. My hair is fairly long too, in between waist and hip length.
For those who have suffered a great deal of hairloss/sudden mass shedding in patches..How have you combated that?
What have you found that helped your hair grow back to normal (reverse bald patches/thin areas) on your scalp?
I am super desperate and curious if anyone else on here has dealt with something like this. I would post photos but I am VERY self conscious about it.
I dream of long classic length hair, But I feel like ill always have this patch of scalp in the back of my head.

akurah
August 19th, 2017, 10:58 PM
I recommend you read this thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=141868

It has a lot of practical information.

But I would suggest (if you haven't already) that you see a doctor about this just in case.

Synester
August 19th, 2017, 11:04 PM
Back in 2013 when I lost my hair it was due to a hormone imbalance and spike in my androgen levels. Since then I have taken medication and it has seemed to go back to normal. I still shed a decent amount. But the hair that i did lose around the crown of my head...never really went back to normal. Its still very thin and patchy and I can see my scalp.
But I will check that thread out! thankyou so much.

akurah
August 19th, 2017, 11:18 PM
Back in 2013 when I lost my hair it was due to a hormone imbalance and spike in my androgen levels. Since then I have taken medication and it has seemed to go back to normal. I still shed a decent amount. But the hair that i did lose around the crown of my head...never really went back to normal. Its still very thin and patchy and I can see my scalp.
But I will check that thread out! thankyou so much.

It might be worthwhile to ask the doctor if he has any recommendations? I would suspect he'd just recommend the standards (minoxidil), but he might have a better suggestion. Minoxidil is generally a heavy duty commitment, you have to basically do it for the rest of your life and if you stop, you will lose the gained hair for sure, and you might lose additional hairs. Other stuff that might could address this may not have that same side effects, a doctor would know, or it'd liable to be listed in that thread.

Synester
August 19th, 2017, 11:25 PM
The last derm I went to didnt help me at all and I spent a ton of money, I dont have the funds to go to a doctor right now But you are right im sure i could try and find another doctor who might help me more. I have done minoxidil and it didnt help TOO much, like you said its a eternal commitment. Something i dont have. im 23 i dont want to have to do that the rest of my life.

diddiedaisy
August 20th, 2017, 01:01 AM
Hi, this the thread you need. Sorry I don't know how to link. :)

The great shed/thinning hair support group. This is in the mane forum.

The great shed/thinning hair part 2 is in the health and Body beautiful forum and is slightly more private as not as many people go there. It will be quicker to find though!!!

lapushka
August 20th, 2017, 05:11 AM
In the past I have lost a great amount of hair and as much as I have recovered, it is not the same. You can see my scalp from the back of my head/top of my head very well. My hair is fairly long too, in between waist and hip length.
For those who have suffered a great deal of hairloss/sudden mass shedding in patches..How have you combated that?
What have you found that helped your hair grow back to normal (reverse bald patches/thin areas) on your scalp?
I am super desperate and curious if anyone else on here has dealt with something like this. I would post photos but I am VERY self conscious about it.
I dream of long classic length hair, But I feel like ill always have this patch of scalp in the back of my head.

I went through a major shed (clumps (no joke) and bald patches) during puberty at age 13/14. Of course my mom bought me a lotion (Bioscalin) and some vitamin pills (pilfood) but it was hormonal, and really nothing could be done. But it resolved itself gradually and after 2 years my hair had grown back in, so at the age (important age) of 15/16, I was OK again. And I crimped my hair into hell and beyond (yeah, that happened). LOL!

I would go see a doctor, first though, which is what we did. Have you gone to see one yet. The first thing they do is draw blood if you're that worried and something is definitely up.

Good luck!

Cg
August 20th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Determining the cause of your hair loss is the first step. I agree that you should see a doctor unless you are already certain of why. My huge shed was a result of catastrophic event and medication. It resolved naturally after weaning myself off the meds, but I wore hats, turbans, wigs, and scarves for a good 6 months until the obvious bald patches weren't quite so obvious.

Please try to focus on finding the cause and potential remedies rather than stressing out worrying. Stress will only hamper improvement.

lithostoic
August 20th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Have you tried scalp massages? I know that sounds lame but maybe that area just needs a little more stimulation. Maybe castor oil? If your scalp likes oils, that is.

akurah
August 20th, 2017, 09:20 AM
You also need to consider your perspective may be a little skewed as well: more may have grown back than you realized, so there is value in asking for second opinions. And someone with no familiarity with how your hair looked before would be the best, for example, a new doctor, or here. It may not be how it was and you have every right to be unhappy about that, but it may be such that no one can tell that it's got patches as you describe, and you don't need to be self conscious about it anymore.

Mlarmour
August 20th, 2017, 10:46 AM
I lost half my hair last year due to a delayed reaction from dengue fever. Luckily it's started growing back and it is thicker than it was. It's always worth checking with your doctor, I went to mine just to check there wasn't anything else going on.
I started treating my hair like it was completely fragile. I touched it as little as possible. I swapped all my hair brushes for wet brushes as they are brilliant on deliciate hair and I still use them. I used bobbles that looked like old fashioned phone cords and would tie my hair up as much as possible to stop my hair breaking from friction. Scalp massages and using a mix of coconut oil and castor oil which I think helped the regrowth the most.

Lynn of Many
August 20th, 2017, 11:57 AM
I lost a lot of hair after I had each of my babies (more each time too). Its been over a year since my last one and I still feel like its very thin in front. I'm basically trying to baby my hair and scalp as much as possible in the hopes it will regrow and thicken up more. I have psoriasis as well so that doesn't help. I've started castor oil scalp massages so I'm trying to see if that helps. I'm glad you posted op, I've found all kinds of links for other threads that I didn't know existed. Hopefully we both can find solutions and in the meantime, I feel your pain 😢

lapushka
August 20th, 2017, 12:58 PM
I lost a lot of hair after I had each of my babies (more each time too). Its been over a year since my last one and I still feel like its very thin in front. I'm basically trying to baby my hair and scalp as much as possible in the hopes it will regrow and thicken up more. I have psoriasis as well so that doesn't help. I've started castor oil scalp massages so I'm trying to see if that helps. I'm glad you posted op, I've found all kinds of links for other threads that I didn't know existed. Hopefully we both can find solutions and in the meantime, I feel your pain ��

Yes, true, but that is post-partum shed and normal and can be explained. The OP has unexplained hair loss which is something quite different. Hair loss on the whole is hard for anybody - I get that totally, but this is just that bit different and more frightening, IMMHO. Especially since there seems to be no reason for it.

Hope you recover well! :flower: My mom never recovered from her PP shedding and her hair stayed thinner, until she hit menopause when it thinned out even more. Bad luck, I guess. :(