PDA

View Full Version : Which comb is right for me?

Bubblebeam
August 19th, 2017, 08:00 PM
Hello! It's pay day and the last few days here in Australia, the static in the air has been REALLY bad, which reminded me of the suggestion I received way back about buying a wooden comb/brush. I was linked to this (https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/JoyoComb?ref=l2-shopheader-name) Etsy shop which I bookmarked and always intended to buy from. I'm a little unsure which is right for me though.

I guess my main question is, are there individual pros and cons to each wood type or is it merely aesthetic? If so which would be better suited for 1A/1B hair? And does the fact these are wood fully eliminate the possibility of static, or do they just *reduce* the severity of it?

Thank you for your time and help. :pegasus:

meteor
August 19th, 2017, 09:34 PM
I think pretty much any wood for a WT comb would be good. I'd be more worried about having perfectly smooth finishing rather than specific type of wood. Plastic should be avoided, because it can make static more pronounced. Brushing tends to increase static, as well, unless you have a wooden brush.

Another thing to consider is using silky smooth bonnets/pillowcases and simply moisturizing hair way more with both water-based and oil-based products: things like heavy conditioning, oils post-wash, oil as an oil rinse (between shampoo and conditioner) and LOC-style layering of oil and cream products should help reduce static quite a bit.
Running a dryer sheet over length will help kill static in a pinch.

Bubblebeam
August 19th, 2017, 09:48 PM
I've heard of the dryer sheet method, but we don't have a dryer and the packets are expensive here anyway since only a few stores sell them (so no competition I'm guessing). A comb sounded ideal since it would have countless uses. I've only recently had this problem as it's been abnormally dry (we live in a sub tropical climate so usually the humidity is up and I have no issues). Still, these combs look pretty so I've always wanted one anyway. :)

Shorty89
August 19th, 2017, 10:42 PM
I've used both wood and horn. I found less static with the wood, but I also had a bad build-up issue. Gunk would get stuck in the comb and was almost impossible to get out. But, it did comb slightly better than my horn comb. :shrug:

Bubblebeam
August 19th, 2017, 10:45 PM
I've used both wood and horn. I found less static with the wood, but I also had a bad build-up issue. Gunk would get stuck in the comb and was almost impossible to get out. But, it did comb slightly better than my horn comb. :shrug:

Was it a fine tooth comb? Aren't those always hard to clean out regardless of material because of all the teeth?

akurah
August 19th, 2017, 11:22 PM
Bakelite combs (bone or "bohn") are supposed to be inherently anti-static from what I understand:
http://hairsense.com/combs/bone-combs/

That said... if where you live is dry enough, it might still generate too much static for your needs. :shrug:

lapushka
August 20th, 2017, 05:15 AM
I love my bone comb too. I bought mine from Hairsense (around $12), it's their orange volume comb (which is a WT comb). I also have a few Hercules Sägemann combs which I love but those can be harder to get.

MusicalSpoons
August 20th, 2017, 06:11 AM
Hello! It's pay day and the last few days here in Australia, the static in the air has been REALLY bad, which reminded me of the suggestion I received way back about buying a wooden comb/brush. I was linked to this (https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/JoyoComb?ref=l2-shopheader-name) Etsy shop which I bookmarked and always intended to buy from. I'm a little unsure which is right for me though.

I guess my main question is, are there individual pros and cons to each wood type or is it merely aesthetic? If so which would be better suited for 1A/1B hair? And does the fact these are wood fully eliminate the possibility of static, or do they just *reduce* the severity of it?

Thank you for your time and help. :pegasus:

Oooh, pretty combs there! :crush: I have a green sandalwood wide-toothed comb, which has been much better for static than my Denman brush used to be. If my hair is staticky though, running a hand down the hair behind the comb always helps (a trick suggested for BBBs, incidentally). So in answer to your question, for me it's reduced the static, but not eliminated.

I agree with meteor - the finish is more important than the type of wood. [Combs made from one piece of wood are theoretically less likely to have snags, but if a comb is well-made the number of pieces won't matter. (I have a purpleheart fine-tooth comb, made from two pieces of wood, that is perfectly smooth. You can only tell it's multiple pieces by looking at it.) Tbh, if it's from etsy and it's not smooth/snag-free as it claims to be, you could probably take it up with the seller.]

So, in short, go with one you like! :grin:

Bubblebeam
August 20th, 2017, 07:05 PM
Oooh, pretty combs there! :crush: I have a green sandalwood wide-toothed comb, which has been much better for static than my Denman brush used to be. If my hair is staticky though, running a hand down the hair behind the comb always helps (a trick suggested for BBBs, incidentally). So in answer to your question, for me it's reduced the static, but not eliminated.

I agree with meteor - the finish is more important than the type of wood. [Combs made from one piece of wood are theoretically less likely to have snags, but if a comb is well-made the number of pieces won't matter. (I have a purpleheart fine-tooth comb, made from two pieces of wood, that is perfectly smooth. You can only tell it's multiple pieces by looking at it.) Tbh, if it's from etsy and it's not smooth/snag-free as it claims to be, you could probably take it up with the seller.]

So, in short, go with one you like! :grin:

That's a funny coincidence, since I ended up going with this green sandalwood comb (https://www.etsy.com/au/transaction/1319918295). Says it changes colour depending on humidity, and we're getting a wide range of humidity levels just lately so could be interesting!

MusicalSpoons
August 22nd, 2017, 08:02 AM
That's a funny coincidence, since I ended up going with this green sandalwood comb (https://www.etsy.com/au/transaction/1319918295). Says it changes colour depending on humidity, and we're getting a wide range of humidity levels just lately so could be interesting!

(I can't see the item because the link goes to a transaction which I assume only you and the seller might be able to see, but) green sandalwood does change colour over time - it starts off the fairly light colour most listings show, but over time it develops ... not quite a patina, as I believe the colour change occurs throughout the wood, not just the surface but ... whatever/however it happens, I adore all the various colours in mine, and it still smells lovely too :o

I hope you enjoy your comb, and my ramble above might make sense in a few months' time! ;)

Shorty89
August 22nd, 2017, 09:43 AM
Was it a fine tooth comb? Aren't those always hard to clean out regardless of material because of all the teeth?

No. It was somewhere between average and wide-toothed. I was experimenting with stretching washes at the time so I had a lot of gunk and lint.