PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles Compatible with VR Headsets?

cathair
August 19th, 2017, 03:48 PM
I was wondering if anyone had found any hairstyles that are great for wearing with VR headsets?

My go to is my lazy side braid, but it's really not doing my hair much good at the moment. I use it too much. I'm not doing very well with buns, however low down I make them with seem to interfere with straps.

Wearing hair down is an option, but it gets tangled up easily when moving about, caught in controllers or real world objects you can't exactly see.

It's also hard to find anything that will stand up to a headset being taken on and off a few times, which is really necessary when you are demoing games.

Roy Taylor from AMD promised there will be hair friendly VR headsets within the next 3 years, but frankly I can't wait that long :D

Any suggestions gratefully received :)

Aredhel
August 19th, 2017, 04:02 PM
I have no issues when I wear a higher bun held by spin pins (forks and sticks get in the way). We have the PS VR though, I'm not sure how different the AMD one is.

EdG
August 19th, 2017, 07:38 PM
I am glad I am not the only person who thinks "virtual reality will never take off until they can make a headset that is compatible with long hair." :lol:

The technology will improve over time.
Ed

cathair
August 23rd, 2017, 06:22 PM
I have no issues when I wear a higher bun held by spin pins (forks and sticks get in the way). We have the PS VR though, I'm not sure how different the AMD one is.

I mostly use PSVR too :) Don't know why it hadn't occurred to try a high bun, it as the big open space at the top, it makes sense! I never really wear them because I haven't figured out how to get spin pins in one comfortably. I'll have to try again, thanks for the suggestion :)

Some events mean using PSVR, Vive and Rift in one day. I dunno if I will ever work that one out. I last time I had to re-do my plait many times. Time before that I tried a ponytail as it was a sort of special occasion, not an every day thing, but that fell to bits and slid out too.

cathair
August 23rd, 2017, 06:25 PM
I am glad I am not the only person who thinks "virtual reality will never take off until they can make a headset that is compatible with long hair." :lol:

The technology will improve over time.
Ed

Hehehe, nope you're not alone :D I'm on the side of the fence that thinks it's worth the inconvenience, but I sure do hope that technology improves quickly! :)

xoChesleyy
August 23rd, 2017, 08:42 PM
Ahhhh I know the struggle! Haha. :p

I just wear my hair in a cinnabun on top of my head and that seems to work okay.

Chromis
August 23rd, 2017, 08:52 PM
I wonder if putting on a head tubie like a Buff or similar would work over your braid just to reduce the friction from taking it off and on. Depends on your strap configuration.

Shorty89
August 23rd, 2017, 08:55 PM
Would a crown braid or heidi braids work?