PDA

View Full Version : Hair brush recommendations, please

Twig
August 18th, 2017, 04:02 PM
i need hairbrush suggestions for my dry, coarse and thick hair, folks. I have a BBB great for smoothing the frizzies, but it doesn't reach to the scalp. Much appreciated, thanks everyone.

lapushka
August 18th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Nobody can recommend what will definitely work for you. It's something you'll have to experiment with on your own.

The TT (Tangle Teezer) works for me, they do have it for thick & curly hair. I love that brush, but others hate it. See, it's very YMMV.

animetor7
August 18th, 2017, 04:42 PM
I second the TT suggestion. When my hair is damp I prefer a wide tooth comb for detangling, but I love the TT for dry detangling. Good luck and have fun experimenting!! :)

floridaorchid
August 18th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Either the TT or a wooden brush. My hair seems less frizzy after using it. It could be a placebo effect, but either way, I really like it. I bought this one from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-100-Naturals-Detangler-Dandruff/dp/B016FOHLYC/ref=sr_1_11_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1503098122&sr=8-11&keywords=wooden+hair+brush

The TT is more affordable and does a wonderful job however.

akurah
August 18th, 2017, 05:20 PM
I love Denman for brushes. I was not impressed with tangle teaser, I gave mine away.

Andthetalltrees
August 18th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Wet brush! I also have thick, coarse hair and it's been amazing on mine. I've tried a TT and a denman but I wasn't a huge fan of either, But I love the wet brush.

lisamt
August 18th, 2017, 05:38 PM
my hair isn't super thick, but it is dry and coarse and I really like the tangle teezer too. it's gentle so it won't break your hair, but strong enough to get through coarse hair. and, as mentioned above, they make one for thick and curly hair that you might consider.

Twig
August 18th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Thanks, the search is on! Have a great weekend!

Gillian1978
August 18th, 2017, 11:32 PM
The aveda paddle brush is amazing for long thick hair - worth every penny ! Also love the wet brush too, it's very gentle on the hair. The Aveda brush feels amazing on the scalp though!

Kat-Rinnč Naido
August 19th, 2017, 12:08 AM
i need hairbrush suggestions for my dry, coarse and thick hair, folks. I have a BBB great for smoothing the frizzies, but it doesn't reach to the scalp. Much appreciated, thanks everyone.

I don't think the bbb is meant to reach the scalp.

akurah
August 19th, 2017, 07:29 AM
I don't think the bbb is meant to reach the scalp.

It does on some people, but I think it's one of those things where if the BBB you have don't reach the scalp, it's unlikely any that exists are going to. Not sure.

lapushka
August 19th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Also consider your texture. A BBB becomes less appealing for those with wavier/curlier hair. It did for mine. It takes all of your texture out. You're not supposed to brush wavy/curly hair dry at all, even.

I only use my brush before a wash, after my WT comb, and that's it, so weekly. I finger detangle the rest of the week, and comb it out after the wash once with a WT comb.

Tried the Denman, didn't like it, pulled at my scalp too much. A wooden bristle brush, I like a lot, but my TT does the job a lot better these days.

xoChesleyy
August 19th, 2017, 03:18 PM
This is the best brush I have ever used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006ON74II/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1503177338&sr=8-1&keywords=macadamia+brush Affordable, works great, very gentle, and it has Amazon Prime!

This is the best comb I have ever used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001N444EK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1503177409&sr=8-1&keywords=mason+pearson+comb More pricey, but it is wonderful and will last forever! Also Amazon Prime. :)

Arctic
August 19th, 2017, 03:41 PM
TEK or WIDU wooden paddle brushes with longer than normal pins.

MusicalSpoons
August 20th, 2017, 05:41 AM
Hmm. I loved my Denman brush (before I switched to a wooden, WT comb) because it gave a lovely smoothing effect. Now I know more about hair, though, I realise it was probably doing that by breaking up the 1-hair equivalent of clumps, so for 2-hair might give a lovely smooth, wavy hair boom ... which may or may not be the effect you want! :blossom: (There's actually a fun thread here somewhere with curlies brushing their hair out, to see what I mean by 'hair boom' and what lapushka means by curly hair not being brushed when dry)

Edit: here's the thread - When curlies brush their hair out (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003)

lapushka
August 20th, 2017, 06:54 AM
Hmm. I loved my Denman brush (before I switched to a wooden, WT comb) because it gave a lovely smoothing effect. Now I know more about hair, though, I realise it was probably doing that by breaking up the 1-hair equivalent of clumps, so for 2-hair might give a lovely smooth, wavy hair boom ... which may or may not be the effect you want! :blossom: (There's actually a fun thread here somewhere with curlies brushing their hair out, to see what I mean by 'hair boom' and what lapushka means by curly hair not being brushed when dry)

Edit: here's the thread - When curlies brush their hair out (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003)

Yes, if I brush my wavy hair, it goes "kaboom" in an instant (especially when I have leave-in / curl cream + gel in there). LOL! That is why I only brush right before a wash. I leave my hair alone pretty much throughout the week bar for finger detangling.

sumidha
August 20th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Another vote for a wood bristle paddle brush. It detangles and smoothes better than anything else, for me.

Twig
August 23rd, 2017, 06:19 PM
Thanks all, much appreciated!

Ligeia Noire
August 23rd, 2017, 07:41 PM
Dry, thick, wavy and very prone to tangles hair here, I mostly use a plain comb for detangling but when I do not need to detangle I use my holy grail TT thick and curly, I was already a major fan of the standard TT but the thick and curly one is amazing, wider contact surface and longer teeth, two different set of teeth actually, that is all I use when I brush my hair.

bjt
August 24th, 2017, 05:40 AM
Either the TT or a wooden brush. My hair seems less frizzy after using it. It could be a placebo effect, but either way, I really like it. I bought this one from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-100-Naturals-Detangler-Dandruff/dp/B016FOHLYC/ref=sr_1_11_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1503098122&sr=8-11&keywords=wooden+hair+brush

Thank you for this link FloridaOrchid! I used to have a brush just like this one and loved it. I've recently been looking for another one as others I've tried haven't measured up, but I could never find a wooden brush like this again. I just ordered this one in your link! :)