PDA

View Full Version : Violent Sleepers and the Tenderheaded - how do you wear your hair at night?

Kae612
August 17th, 2017, 10:52 PM
I sleep violently, and sometimes wake up to a matt of hair under my back. I usually drape my hair over my pillow so I can toss and turn without interference, but sometimes the pillow migrates to the side or the floor, or something happens, and I'm laying on my hair and it's everywhere and tangled.

I've had a mixed experience sleeping on hairstyles. When I first found double dutch/french braids I thought it was fantastic and I'd be able to sleep in it no problem, but since I sleep everywhere (back, face, both sides) every night, I sometimes woke up with bad headaches from spending too long putting pressure on the braid lump. So I stopped doing that. A regular english braid was too low to my back so it would guarantee I'd sleep on it. The high bun worked a few times, but other times it would pull and hurt no matter what I did. I eventually gave up. I tried again recently by angling my braid over my face while I braided and made sure it did not start right at my head to give it movement. I also tried two braids like this last night and that worked out okay! I'm hoping to prevent damage - I have soooo many splits even though I don't use heat/hair driers. I think it must be manual damage.

So how do you - violent sleepers or other people with sensitive scalps - wear your hair to sleep? How do you avoid a small section being slightly tighter than the rest and pulling/hurting? How do you angle your style to be compatible with the pillow? Tips, tricks, witchcraft? :p

Sarahlabyrinth
August 17th, 2017, 11:14 PM
Have you tried a silk or satin sleep cap? They stop me getting any tangles when I sleep. I just have my bun from the previous day loose in the sleep cap. I wear a blindfold to sleep over the cap and it helps prevent it from falling off.

leayellena
August 17th, 2017, 11:22 PM
The cotton cap I happened to find 2 days ago while sorting out my clothes does just well. Ah! My ol' good conditioner made my hair eager to be braided again. Last night I slept well with a flat braided Nautilus bun in my cap. Hmm maybe I should make the bun lower... Especially when my hair will be thicker and longer.

Meggypoo
August 18th, 2017, 01:04 AM
I too sleep violently and a cap or scarf on my head gets ripped off in my sleep so I'm not sure it would be a good solution for the author of this post unfortunately :(

I french braid my hair and clip it back up over itself so I look like a scorpion. That might not work too well for a tender head though.

PixieP
August 18th, 2017, 02:59 AM
Cinnabun right at the top of my head (so high I would never wear it out!) held with a small fork with headcurve. Sometimes an lwb when my hair is greasy and slithery. I put in the fork so that the tines point straight forward towards my face. I flip my hair upside down and finger comb through it so that all the hair goes in that upwards direction before I bun, that step is crucial. I'm a super restless sleeper with a sensitive scalp and I get headaches from pulling. This has worked great for me for years :)

Jo Ann
August 18th, 2017, 05:57 AM
When I braid my hair at night, I do the braid(s) in front of and over my ears (think movie Indian/Native American ;) ), even the side braid. The only place I put an elastic/hair tie is at the end of the braid(s). Works wonders!

Also, I have a short hair stick (it's from an old hair holder) that's only 4-1/2" long (compared to my usual hairsticks, which are about 7-1/2" long) that I use to secure my hair in a loose bun on top of my head when my hair's wet. Although not as successful as the braids, it works for me!

Chromis
August 18th, 2017, 06:03 AM
My scalp protests having my hair going in the "wrong" direction, so high buns are right out. Ouch! I do a simple braid and flip it over the pillow. It does slither down when I move around, but at least then it is out of the way while I am actually falling asleep.

I rip caps off in my sleep too, so that is also right out.

lapushka
August 18th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Maybe a loose ponytail, like half-way your length would do, and stop the matting and be quite loose enough not to cause issues. I have tried it before; but I prefer sleeping with it loose. I sleep like a military soldier, steady-still in one position at night. If I move it's to turn on my back, when it's almost morning.

Alibran
August 18th, 2017, 07:55 AM
When mine's long enough, I sleep with it in two English braids positioned the way Jo Ann described. I start them quite low down so the hair round my head is loose and comfortable, but the length is protected. I've also just ordered some satin pillowcases to give my hair an easier time of it.

I can sleep for a short time with my hair in a single French braid down the back of my head because I tend to sleep with my head turned to one side rather than fully on my back, but I tend to disturb myself when I turn over like that, so it doesn't work for a full night's sleep. (It's great for a siesta, though!)

mira-chan
August 18th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Plain braid with the ends folded up so they are hidden when the terrycloth elastic band is tied. I couldn't keep any kind of cap on my head during sleep. Buns on top of head didn't work either as they fell out or I had the hair root aches. I do have sateen pillowcases.

Obsidian
August 18th, 2017, 08:36 AM
A bun right on top or even around bang area was the only way I could contain my hair at night and not be uncomfortable. Using satiny pillowcases was a huge help as was a silk sleep cap but I have a tendency to rip the cap off. Even with my pixie, I find the cap useful as I roll around so much I end up with a mat on which ever side I slept the most.

spidermom
August 18th, 2017, 08:43 AM
When my hair was long, top-of-head loose-ish ponytail, oftentimes braided, directed over the top of the pillow.

sanguinebread
August 18th, 2017, 10:49 AM
I have similar problems, but I haven't found a great solution. Mostly I sleep with my hair loose and tossed up the pillow and off the edge of the bed. Then when I half-wake and turn over I yank it out of the way and end up ripping it. Sometimes I sleep with my hair in two English braids started below my ears, but it can give me a headache and I honestly think sleeping with my hair braided is kind of uncomfortable.

I'm not sure whether this will be helpful to you or not, but I get headaches from my hair a lot. What helped me was pressure point masssage - basically you find sore spots/pressure points in your face, scalp and neck and press into them gently for thirty seconds and release, and that relieves a lot of the pain. Whether that will help you depends on if that kind of strain is part of the problem, though. If you're interested in trying it you could search pressure point therapy or myofascial release.

hayheadsbird
August 18th, 2017, 12:31 PM
After a year + of different sleep styles the past 2 months I've just gone to bed with it loose. Silk pillow case keeps tangles to a minimum for me. There is the occasional issue with small people climbing into bed through the night and lie in on it, but overall it's working for me at the moment

Joyful Mystery
August 18th, 2017, 12:38 PM
I'm a restless sleeper and struggle with bouts of insomnia. I usually wear a satin bonnet but when I'm having a particularly rough time I'll ditch the bonnet (it absolutely bothers me during these bouts) and instead will sleep with my hair in a low pony/side pony with a scrunchie on a satin pillowcase. When my hair was longer I'd braid it (twin English or a side braid).

lithostoic
August 18th, 2017, 12:44 PM
I wear one Dutch braid comfortably. Try two. They're tighter than French braids, which come loose and tangle at my nape.

Lynn of Many
August 18th, 2017, 12:48 PM
When my hair was TB length I would do a loose (oiled) braid and flip it behind me. I toss and turn a lot though so I usually woke up with all kinds of craziness. Now my hair is almost bsl but pretty damaged so I'm trying to baby it. I bun it on the top of my head. I haven't really figured out a perfect way to sleep though. I'm thinking a loose wrapped braid would be least headache causing, and the wrap would prevent damage from moving around. I hope you find something soon!

Iku-Turso
August 18th, 2017, 01:17 PM
I usually do just one english braid, starting from the top of my head, positioned so that when I'm sleeping, the start of the braid rests on my pillow. The tail just loops behind the pillow (if there's a headboard) or just hangs over the bed. So the braid is still on top of my head, but quite far on the back.

It is easiest to braid your hair like this if you first turn your head upside down, but I actually sometimes braid my hair when my head is already on the pillow. That is one way to make sure that the braid doesn't pull or hurt the scalp once you toss around (it's also a good workout for the arms. :D

And sometimes, for extra security, I tuck my braid under the mattress pad. And it knows how to escape from there during the night, because it's never under the mattress when I wake up in the morning! :)

raemarthe
August 18th, 2017, 02:55 PM
I'm a very violent sleeper, and my hair is curly which means I don't have many styles I can wear to bed that are comfortable, protect my hair and keep it from tangling. Braids don't work because they wreck my pattern, buns are either too tight and hurt my head, or too loose and they come out during the night. My solution is a satin sleeping bonnet, I'm amazed by how comfortable it is compared to sleeping with buns that pull on my hair as I roll around, and it has never come off in the night so far. The one I have also is adjustable so I can make sure its tight enough to stay on. I really recommend it.

Deborah
August 18th, 2017, 03:13 PM
I just make a regular braid down my back, then flip it up over the pillow. It ends up anywhere, but it does not bother me, and it does a great job of preventing tangles.

Simsy
August 18th, 2017, 11:47 PM
I use a loose English braid flipped up onto the pillow on weekends. During the week, I normally leave my hair in the work braids, 2 braids wrapped around my head and sewn down with ribbon.

diddiedaisy
August 19th, 2017, 01:13 AM
I have a silk pillowcase. My new one is cotton on the back and that stops it sliding about. I do a very loose looped pony on the top of my head with a scrunchie, it's usually at the bottom by the morning though.

I'm also a face/side sleeper and toss and turn a lot through the night. I've found that since using a silk pillowcase I don't get as splits at the sides of my hair. :)

meteor
August 19th, 2017, 08:13 AM
I remove stick/fork from my daily braided bun and wrap this unsecured bun in a silky scarf for the night. I usually wake up with the braid still pretty much intact, except for some loosened sections at the bottom (I don't even tie the braid off to avoid any damage).

Kae612
August 21st, 2017, 06:57 AM
Thank you everyone for your input! I've been trying loose english braids and rope braids this week, usually started with a scrunchie pony. It's been going better! Fewer tangles in the morning. Sometimes I have to try making the braid a few times because I'll tend towards one side and then when I roll over it will pull, so I try pulling the braid all different ways before tying it off.

I did end up sleeping on top of last night's rope braid, but I think it was still better than loose hair, and I only ended up with a small sore spot at the nape of my neck, not all down my head when I tried dutch pigtails.

I did end up wearing a dutch braid once, going from above my right ear around the back of my head and down my left shoulder - I'd worn it all day, and pancaked it quite loosely. I tugged a little on the scalp hair to loosen it more and it also seemed okay! So we're making headway :D Thanks again for all these great suggestions!!

Chromis
August 21st, 2017, 07:01 AM
I recommend trying them without the pony! Yes, it will be messy at first, but it is a great way to learn and will be much more comfy on your nape. I also found that those gave me damage, no matter how soft they were.

Kae612
August 21st, 2017, 10:26 AM
I recommend trying them without the pony! Yes, it will be messy at first, but it is a great way to learn and will be much more comfy on your nape. I also found that those gave me damage, no matter how soft they were.

The reason I did the pony was to hold the base so it won't pull to one side. I will braid over my left shoulder or over my head, and it tugs the braid that direction. I'm trying to avoid those little tight pieces of hair that pull when I flop the braid in a different direction when tossing and turning. I'm not sure how to do that without the scrunchie - I will say though that if I'm doing a real pony I wrap the scrunchie 3x but for sleep only 2, and sometimes I've taken it off after making the braid in the right spot. It is very loose!

Chromis
August 21st, 2017, 11:04 AM
The reason I did the pony was to hold the base so it won't pull to one side. I will braid over my left shoulder or over my head, and it tugs the braid that direction. I'm trying to avoid those little tight pieces of hair that pull when I flop the braid in a different direction when tossing and turning. I'm not sure how to do that without the scrunchie - I will say though that if I'm doing a real pony I wrap the scrunchie 3x but for sleep only 2, and sometimes I've taken it off after making the braid in the right spot. It is very loose!

I braid straight down for the first few turns, keeping that more firm, and then carefully pull it over my shoulder. After that I braid much looser. Then I run out of arm and wrap it around like a scarf and keep braiding haha!

You might try sectioning using this method to help with the pulling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kS5QQfoI6Q

floridaorchid
August 21st, 2017, 11:18 AM
I always do two very loose french braids and wear a satin sleeping cap. The cap keeps the braids closer to my scalp, but while I toss and turn my hair seems to shift inside of the cap enough to wear I never have any problems.
You can always go to a nearby walmart for a satin cap, I think it's only two or three dollars, to give it a try and see if it works for you!

daywalker
August 22nd, 2017, 05:11 PM
I am very tenderheaded and I have had success with a silk scarf laid on top of my pillow and securely tucked in at the edges. I also do a twist all the way around my hair (like a crown braid) and secure at the top with jaw clips. But my hair is just short of BSL and I don't have a lot of it. I toss and turn and it doesn't come out.

browneyedsusan
August 22nd, 2017, 05:40 PM
I wear a topknot, just high enough so I'm not laying on it. I sometimes work it loose in the night though, because I flop my hands up over my head for fun! Braids are comfortable, but I roll on them, they get around my neck sometimes, and the tassles get all bent up; like they've been scrubbed on the sheets! lol!
I tried a sleep cap, a buff, and a headscarf for a while, but should have known there was no way I'd get to the point where I could tolerate things on my head at night. (Strangely, I can sleep in a chook if it's really cold, like when I'm camping in the winter. I wonder how DH would respond to keeping the bedroom around 40*F/5*C? :hmm: )

I'll stalk and see if you hit on a decent solution. Nothing works perfectly for me, but the topknot seems best so far. I started with a top-pony when my hair was growing, so learned to tolerate it gradually. I also still anchor with a top-pony, then nautilus the ends with a couple of amish pins. The pins sometimes slip, but the pony stays put. :)

Joyful Mystery
August 22nd, 2017, 05:43 PM
I have a silk pillowcase. My new one is cotton on the back and that stops it sliding about. I do a very loose looped pony on the top of my head with a scrunchie, it's usually at the bottom by the morning though.

I'm also a face/side sleeper and toss and turn a lot through the night. I've found that since using a silk pillowcase I don't get as splits at the sides of my hair. :)

I need this! My pillow slides right off my bed during the night or if I happen to take a nap on the couch, it wants to slide right to the floor.