PDA

View Full Version : Helmet hairstyles- CALLING ALL EQUESTRIANS!!!!

RileyAnn
August 17th, 2017, 09:16 AM
So I ride horses, and after I take off my helmet, my hair is a mess! A horse trying to be a stylist by nuzzling it doesn't do anything helpful either (Thank you, Corky, for spitting on my hair to show your love for me)! Does anyone have any good helmet hairstyles? I might bring my travel brush with me to the stable also.

twill
August 17th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Have you tried a French braid? Keeps things in place and smooth under a helmet.

twill
August 17th, 2017, 09:25 AM
A Dutch fauxhawk braid is a option as well - it also means you have some volume when you take your hair out of it afterwards (a definite bonus after wearing a helmet).
http://www.beautifuldiyhairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/How-to-Create-Mohawk-Dutch-Braid-00.png

akurah
August 17th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Pony scrubs, unless you explicitly need your hair to look nice (such as competitions). I use this for cycling.

https://www.etsy.com/market/ponytail_scrub_hat

animetor7
August 17th, 2017, 10:25 AM
I second the French/Dutch braid option. When I rode horses it was almost always in one or two french braids under my helmet. It kept things neat but also wasn't uncomfortable under the helmet. Good luck!!

Alibran
August 17th, 2017, 12:40 PM
It depends how thick your hair is. I cycle, and while I can cycle with my hair in a single French braid, I don't find it very comfortable because my French braid is very bulky (5.5 inch ponytail). I've never tried it in double French braids, but that might be more comfortable. My preference is English braids for under a helmet, either double or a single one down my back, because the hair is distributed more evenly round my head, and if I want to change the style of braid when I take the helmet off, it's easy enough to redo it.

Edit to add: I also have to loosen my helmet slightly if I do wear it with my hair in a French braid, or it's too tight, and I'm not sure if horse riding helmets are adjustable?

RileyAnn
August 22nd, 2017, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys! I forgot to subscribe to this thread and just saw everything!

PixieP
August 22nd, 2017, 04:24 PM
I recently started working in a stable, and I cover my hair with my buff. I make a low nape bun (a Spock bun with my smallest headcurve fork) and just tuck the end of the buff into itself at the nape. For me I don't ride (racing stable) so I don't have the helmet problem, but this keeps horse spittle and hay dust and mud from my hair :P

Arete
August 22nd, 2017, 04:38 PM
I usually English braid and deal with the frizzies on a normal day. If I need to fit all my hair under a helmet, I used to do a tucked french, though last time I competed my hair was above hip length and I'm classic now, so not sure how well it would work now. If you have thick hair, I recommend NOT French or Dutch braiding. The extra bulk can affect proper helmet fit and compromise helmet performance during a fall. Mussy hair is worth it for a properly protected head!