PDA

View Full Version : What's the best chelating product at a reasonable price?

Girlw6ftofHair
August 17th, 2017, 02:56 AM
I have a few questions on the subject. What's the best product for chelating? Are there other kinds of products other than shampoo? Is a shampoo or another product (if there are any,) the best way to go? Like, which is most effective? As far as shampoo goes, which is the best one? I'm trying to find one at a reasonable price, that I can get at Wal-Mart or Sally's. Those two stores are not a must but I have to go a lot further to get to other stores. How often do I use the chelating product? I wash my hair once a week. So is that good, too often or not enough? I'm totally new to the subject so please feel free to add anything you think may be helpful/useful information for me to know. Thanks so much!!! :)

Borgessa
August 17th, 2017, 03:23 AM
Good luck... I hope it helps..

JustPam
August 17th, 2017, 03:47 AM
Citric acid is chelating, and not shampoo.

Girlw6ftofHair
August 17th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Good luck... I hope it helps..

Thank you, me too! :)

Girlw6ftofHair
August 17th, 2017, 05:28 AM
Citric acid is chelating, and not shampoo.

Dear JustPam,

I have been told there are several kinds of chelating shampoos and that's one of the first things I need to do to my hair. I just want to know which one is the best. I have been reading on this site about Citric acid as someone suggested I add it to an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. I'm now trying to figure out if I need to do just an ACV rinse, just a Citric acid rinse or a mixture of both? If I do which ever one of those is best, do I still need to get a chelating shampoo? Also, I tpyed Citric acid into Wal-Mart.com and got like a million results. Which one do I use and where in the store would I find it? I have also read a ton of different ratios of how to make the mixture and I'm not not sure what to go by at this point.

lapushka
August 17th, 2017, 06:08 AM
Maybe not chelating, but clarifying is enough.

If you wash well with a sulfate shampoo weekly (I do too), then that is *enough* in the sense of clarifying. Sometimes I wash my lengths or sometimes not (and just let the suds run down). It depends week to week.

Borgessa
August 17th, 2017, 06:09 AM
I clarify with Herbal Essence Drama Clean - because it is a harsher shampoo than the regular shampoo i use, i only clarify once every few months, since I don't use products or feel that my hair needs it that often.. My hair is mostly dry so i don't want to dry it out further. But every now and then it needs it. I would say if you hair is feeling grabby then use it. Just give it a go.. I think it must be chelating also as it mentions citric in its ingredient.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Herbal-Essences-Shampoo-Drama-Clean/22474701

Obsidian
August 17th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Quantum clarifying shampoo from sally's, it also chelates.

Paul Mitchell #3 clarifying shampoo from ulta. This one is supposed to be really good but I've not used it.

Joico k pak clarifying. This is my favorite. Should be at Walmart or ulta. One use removed 2 years of mineral build up. I used it every 5 washes or so though I probably didn't need to

Arctic
August 17th, 2017, 06:23 AM
Redken Hair Cleansing Cream shampoo is both clarifying and chelating. For chelating effect you need to leave it on for a while - read the instructions. Where I live it's not afforbadle though, almost 30 Euros per bottle, but maybe it's different where you live.

JustPam
August 17th, 2017, 06:25 AM
Dear JustPam,

I have been told there are several kinds of chelating shampoos and that's one of the first things I need to do to my hair. I just want to know which one is the best. I have been reading on this site about Citric acid as someone suggested I add it to an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. I'm now trying to figure out if I need to do just an ACV rinse, just a Citric acid rinse or a mixture of both? If I do which ever one of those is best, do I still need to get a chelating shampoo? Also, I tpyed Citric acid into Wal-Mart.com and got like a million results. Which one do I use and where in the store would I find it? I have also read a ton of different ratios of how to make the mixture and I'm not not sure what to go by at this point.

Well it's just one option, the way I read your original post sounded like you were looking for something other than shampoo.

I don't think you would need to combine a shampoo + ACV + citric acid, that might be overkill. Folk often use citric acid instead of ACV or white vinegar because it's pretty much odourless, never heard of them being mixed, but I don't doubt somebody on here has tried it! Weirder combos have happened.

I dunno anything about Wal-mart, I'm Scottish, I just bought a pack of plain citric acid powder (what they use in sour candy coatings) off ebay and put a half teaspoon in a litre of water to make a rinse.

You shouldn't need to chelate very often, it just takes any mineral deposits off of your hair that normal shampoo can't, but if you're having hair issues then chelating is a good way to sort of hit reset on your hair, so people recommend doing that first because it makes sense to get build up off first before adding more products to it. People who might need to do it more often are those with hard water or swimmers.

Check out the citric acid thread if you wanna read some more http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=96747

meteor
August 17th, 2017, 06:25 AM
Redken Pre-Art is very powerful, but hard to come by. Malibu C products (currently "Hard Water Wellness" collection) are good. I also like Pantene Damage Detox for affordable chelating & clarifying shampoo. There are lots of good products out there for chelating... - L'Anza, Joico, Redken to name just a few.
Look for EDTA, Trisodium Citrate and other chelating ingredients high up on the ingredients lists (when they are low on the ingredients list, they usually act as pH adjusters or preservatives).

You could also do DIY water rinses with citric acid.
I think chelating can be wonderful for people with hard water build-up. I'd only caution against doing concentrated chelating too frequently (unless you swim in chlorinated pools, for example), because some people experience dryness from them after a few sessions. Try to follow up with a good soak in moisturizing conditioner after. Good luck! :D

unheardletters
August 17th, 2017, 06:41 AM
I tried clarifying my hair with several clarifying shampoos, but it did not remove the effects of hard water. I had to use a chelating shampoo every few washes to get my hair clean.

Arctic
August 17th, 2017, 07:50 AM
OP, as you can notice from the answers, there is no universal "the best" product or method. Each situation is different and you might need to do some testing. But, if I were you I would start with the well known, popular (among our members) brands, they have proven to work for many.

Oh, I already mentioned part this with my product recommendation, but you will need to really *wash* ALL your length, probably several times in a row. The shampoo will likely work better if you allow it to sit for a while (IIRC mine even suggests sitting under shower cap and keeping it warm would be best). Follow with a moisturizing conditioner.

How often you'll need to wash with chelating shampoo is very individual, maybe you will need it more often at first. Get to know your hair, when the symptoms start - then is a corrent time.

Good luck, I hope you'll get a BIG relief from your symptoms after your first chelating wash!

Corvana
August 17th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Gosh I don't know of any! But I will say that I'd personally rather buy a chelating shampoo than try to DIY something. It's easier for me, plus it's much more likely to work without ruining my hair.

And I think you will need to do it a couple times the first time, since you've got hard water buildup from years, but after that will just need to keep an eye out to see how often you'll need it. I don't think you'll want to use it weekly, if you only wash weekly. It's supposed to be quite strong (which is why you want to deep condition after), and I don't think that it's necessary every time you wash.

If you go to sally's, the best thing to ask for would probably be a swimmer's shampoo or hard water shampoo. I just searched their site for "chelating" and got nothing (well I got hits, but they seemed very random to me), but "swimming" and "hard water" did get hits.

Ligeia Noire
August 20th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Exactly what Meteor said.
I do not know if walmart or sally's sells Malibu but that is what I use. Found L'Anza at walmart which is also pretty good but expensive, maybe they have smaller bottles therefore cheaper https://www.walmart.com/ip/L-ANZA-Ultimate-Treatment-Step-1-Chelating-Shampoo-33-8-oz/180734199 One thing is for sure I do not know if Malibu is just too strong or not but every time I use, it which is only once per month, it really strips my hair of everything, I always always follow with a deep conditioning mask after it. Whichever you buy you will only know if it is the right one for you after a few washes. Tells us how it goes, I truly hope that solves your problem.
On a smaller note, I had no idea Pantene detox was chelating too, I mean I know the shampoo says for hard water etc etc but I did not believe it much and one thing is for sure I loved that line, really left my hair soft and gave me so much slip...just changed to something else because of my dry scalp. I might just go back to it.

lapushka
August 20th, 2017, 02:32 PM
I do not know if walmart or sally's sells Malibu but that is what I use. Found L'Anza at walmart which is also pretty good but expensive, maybe they have smaller bottles therefore cheaper https://www.walmart.com/ip/L-ANZA-Ultimate-Treatment-Step-1-Chelating-Shampoo-33-8-oz/180734199 One thing is for sure I do not know if Malibu is just too strong or not but every time I use, it which is only once per month, it really strips my hair of everything, I always always follow with a deep conditioning mask after it. Whichever you buy you will only know if it is the right one for you after a few washes. Tells us how it goes, I truly hope that solves your problem.
On a smaller note, I had no idea Pantene detox was chelating too, I mean I know the shampoo says for hard water etc etc but I did not believe it much and one thing is for sure I loved that line, really left my hair soft and gave me so much slip...just changed to something else because of my dry scalp. I might just go back to it.

I had no idea either. They don't sell this one over here, at least I haven't come across it yet (online in local stores). I do have the regular Pantene clarifying shampoo (transparent bottle, navy cap, discontinued). I have 1 and 3/4ths of a bottle left. I had 2 bottles, so I haven't used it a lot. I think I might try clarifying with it again next week! Sounds like a plan! :)

meteor
August 20th, 2017, 03:19 PM

Yes, I think Pantene Damage Detox (https://pantene.com/en-us/product/damage-detox-deep-cleanse-purifying-shampoo) is supposed to be at least somewhat chelating, at least according to their EDDS anti-copper technology claims (Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate on the ingredients list, plus they use a couple other chelators there, too) : http://hairmomentum.com/effects-copper-ions-colored-hair/, https://www.pg.com/en_US/downloads/innovation/factsheet_Pantene_Antiox_final.pdf, http://www.beautezine.com/pantene-introduces-new-damage-detox-collection-and-re-formulates-all-other-collections-too/

It might not be as effective on some specific minerals as some strong designated products for swimmers (e.g. Malibu C Swimmers Kit) or for hair coloring prep at salons (e.g. Redken Pre-Art) though, but it should be enough for regular hard water problems. It's worth experimenting with to find the perfect fit. ;)

And I wonder if it's possible that you used the "daily revitalizing" version of the Damage Detox shampoo (Pantene makes 2 Damage Detox shampoos - one for "Weekly Deep Cleanse", and one for "Daily" use), and if so, that might explain why you got so much good slip? :hmm: After all, the "Daily Revitalizing" one contains Dimethicone, Glycol Distearate and Polyquaternium 6, which "Deep Cleanse" does not have, though other ingredients are pretty much exactly the same, so their anti-copper complex is still there. :)

Ligeia Noire
August 20th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Let me see if I still remember, I believe it was the daily one, just checked their website, also because I bought the conditioner too, but I could tell that even before applying the conditioner my hair was so manageable but it was still very clean not caked and I am very familiar with pantene, I use their conditioners and I would gladly switch back to that detox pantene, regular chelating shampoos really dry out my hair, suave clarifying too actually but not like Malibu. Oh well.

Natashap
August 20th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Here is a product that might help you LN,its reasonably priced .

https://www.walmart.com/ip/UltraSwim-Chlorine-Removal-Shampoo-7-Oz/16615971

Ligeia Noire
August 20th, 2017, 07:36 PM
That looks like it is more for Chlorine than hard minerals, anyway, thank you for the suggestion, I think I will go to Pantene detox when Malibu is done