PDA

View Full Version : Protein in shampoo?

Tenebris
August 13th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Hello everyone! I wonder if you'd be so kind to help me out? :flower:

I want to start Curly Girl method and I'm on the hunt for a decent, non expensive SLS free shampoo that I could buy on Amazon. I've found Palmer's Olive Oil Smoothing shampoo, which looks like it ticks all the boxes. There's only one problem, is has keratin in it and I wonder if washing my hair with it every wash wouldn't give me the over-proteined effect? My hair likes protein every 1-2 weeks, but not more often. Here's the full ingredients list:

Water (Aqua) Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamide DEA, Glycol Stearate, Sodium Chloride, Olea Europea (Olive) Oil, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Polyquaternium-10, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylisothiazolinone, Phosphoric Acid, Red #4 (CI 14700) Yellow # 5 (CI19140) Blue # 1 (CI 42090) Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool

pili
August 13th, 2017, 12:31 PM
If you're protein sensitive, I would find something else.

Tenebris
August 13th, 2017, 12:33 PM
If you're protein sensitive, I would find something else.

By protein sensitive you mean that my hair doesn't like protein with every wash?

lapushka
August 13th, 2017, 12:37 PM
By protein sensitive you mean that my hair doesn't like protein with every wash?

No that your hair can't stand it much at all. My mom recently got a keratin shampoo from Lidl (in a red tube). It's a nice one. And she only monthly washes, so it's not an issue.

Maybe interchange it with a different shampoo, and you'll be fine.

Tenebris
August 13th, 2017, 12:52 PM
No that your hair can't stand it much at all. My mom recently got a keratin shampoo from Lidl (in a red tube). It's a nice one. And she only monthly washes, so it's not an issue.

Maybe interchange it with a different shampoo, and you'll be fine.

Hmm, I have to wash everyday... Ok, so I think I should pass on that... Thank you!:)

pili
August 13th, 2017, 01:00 PM
Does your hair get dried from protein?

Also, I guess it depends on how often you wash. If you only wash once a week, then it might be OK. If you wash every day, I wouldn't risk it.

cathair
August 13th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Olefin Sulfonate is just as harsh as SLS, I think?

You could have a look at the L'oreal Ever/sleek/pure/strong/creme range maybe. But Amazon is hideously over priced for them, any supermarket would be better.

This page might be useful for inspiration: https://www.superdrug.com/Sulphate-Free/c/sulphate-free

It's kind of trendy at the moment, so you should have options :)

Carolyn
August 13th, 2017, 01:34 PM
My advice would be to find a couple other shampoos and conditioners that don't have protein and swap them around. I use something with protein maybe once and month and that's plenty. I wash my hair about 3 times a week.

Nique1202
August 13th, 2017, 03:17 PM
I wash with a protein shampoo (Herbal Essences, though, so very high sulfate content) every wash and my hair loves it, but anything resembling a protein treatment or even a conditioner with protein too high in the ingredients, and my hair rebels. I do clarify my hair about once every 10 washes, so it doesn't get a chance to build up too much, but the tiny bit in a shampoo might replace protein treatments for you altogether as it has for me. If it's not too expensive, it's worth giving a try. You can always rotate it with other products, as folks have said above.

Tenebris
August 14th, 2017, 09:42 AM
I wash with a protein shampoo (Herbal Essences, though, so very high sulfate content) every wash and my hair loves it, but anything resembling a protein treatment or even a conditioner with protein too high in the ingredients, and my hair rebels. I do clarify my hair about once every 10 washes, so it doesn't get a chance to build up too much, but the tiny bit in a shampoo might replace protein treatments for you altogether as it has for me. If it's not too expensive, it's worth giving a try. You can always rotate it with other products, as folks have said above.

That'a a very interesting observation, thank you! I'll think about trying it out as my another shampoo and maybe switch between the two :)

lapushka
August 14th, 2017, 10:03 AM

I'm the same with protein. In regular drugstore stuff, it seems to be all right, but "special" big protein products are not for me. I did recently try the hair mayonnaise stuff though, and that seemed to be all right. My hair could take it, but then I mixed it with a moisturizing mask (the packet I had wasn't enough to cover my lengths).

meteor
August 14th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Olefin Sulfonate is just as harsh as SLS, I think?

Yes, that one isn't really a mild surfactant at all: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.541.7442&rep=rep1&type=pdf, http://www.paulaschoice.com/ingredient-dictionary/cleansing-agents/sodium-c14-16-olefin-sulfonate.html

About protein there, it's so low on the list - after salt and oil, which I think can cause quite a bit of build-up at high concentrations, as well. So either the concentrations are really low (no way of telling just by looking at the ingredients list), or, if they are not, you could run into problems from other ingredients, as well.
Personally, I do like protein in shampoo - it's normally at small concentrations there. And I wouldn't really compare that to a full protein treatment, as it doesn't seem work the same way in terms of conditioning.

My advice would be to find a couple other shampoos and conditioners that don't have protein and swap them around.

I think that's pretty reasonable. :agree:
I also like rotating products and that allows me to get exactly what my hair seems to need at that time - those needs can change. For example, I use proteins for babying my ends, for when my hair is already moisturized, air is humid and my hair risks getting lanky. And I use more moisture and oils and less protein when the air is bone-dry and my hair feels dry, static-y and more tangle prone.

paulownia
August 15th, 2017, 01:31 PM
I personally can recommend Dr Organic shampoos :) they are sulfate-free and I'm quite sure there is no protein in them either. I had lavender, pomegranate, argan oil version - all of them really great.

MusicalSpoons
August 15th, 2017, 01:47 PM
(These aren't Amazon, sorry! But they are inexpensive so I thought it's worth sharing)
As you're in the UK, I recommend looking at the Natura Siberica range from Superdrug: shampoos here (https://www.superdrug.com/search?q=natura+siberica%3AbestBiz%3Acategory%3Apt _hair_shampoo&text=natura+siberica&minSel=3.0&maxSel=4.0&minSlider=3.0&maxSlider=4.0&resultsForPage=20#) but just check the ingredients because a couple of them do contain protein. I'm currently using the Neutral&Sensitive shampoo which seems to be the gentlest shampoo I've used so far. (Also FWIW if you sign up for their digital beautycard or indeed have a physical beautycard, they offer free delivery)
and the Boots Botanics range: the first 4 are shampoos (http://www.boots.com/search/Botanics+shampoo#facet:-1002661111169711010599115&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&) (their search function confused me) ... although I should mention their shampoos disappeared for 5 months earlier this year, but they'd apparently been around for years before that so hopefully they'll stick around for a while this time too!

Anyway, I would be interested to read what you do go for, because my hair seems not to like protein too much either :)