PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in the Bad Hair Zone

Fashionista522
August 13th, 2017, 07:41 AM
hello there! I'm new to the LHC. Since 3/2016, my hair has been "bad". I went to a hairdresser who used a razor on my long, wavy (2a/2b) hair. Since then, I've tried to maintain my length while repairing my hair. It doesn't seem to be working. Last week, my new hairdresser ignored my request for long layers and gave me a choppy do. I could (and have) cried. He also continues to use texturizing sheers.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone been through a similar nightmare? If so, how long did it take for your former hair to return?
2. Are texturizing sheers bad for hair?
3. How did you survive a bad haircut? I feel awful about myself, and I need some help for moving forward until it grows out.

Photo (before/after): https://imgur.com/a/UlzKU

dryxi
August 13th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Hello, welcome!

I don't have a lot in the way of practical advice, but two things stuck out to me:
1. If your hairdresser is intentionally ignoring your wishes, do not go back to him. It's not his job to give you a haricut that he wants, but to give you the haircut you want. If that means long layers, no razoring, shaving your head... whatever. The decision is yours. The first time might have been a misunderstanding, but the second sounds deliberate.

2. Check out "microtimming" in the Mane forum. It's a strategy for trimming hair while maintaining length. Basically, the principle is that you trim very small amounts of hair at a time. It takes a lot longer to remove damage and/or layers, but this way you don't have to chop your hair to your shortest layer.

Finally, while I appreciate you are very unhappy about your recent haircut, I don't think it looks bad on you. You might check out some YouTube videos of different hairstyles for your length to help you feel better about yourself. (I really like Milabu for shorter hair, but yours is a bit longer than hers.) Hope that helps!

Fashionista522
August 13th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Thank you Dryxi for your tips and your support. I am watching Milabu's videos now!

pili
August 13th, 2017, 08:51 AM
I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I second the recommendation to microtrim. It does take longer, but your ends will be happier and you won't have to deal with the big chop later, you can keep gaining length. I think your hair is beautiful, even if it is not what you want right now. Learn how to trim your own hair. Many of us do on the forums because of similar experiences. You are not alone! Learning to cut your own hair is very freeing!

Fashionista522
August 13th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Thank you, Pili! I was considering cutting my own hair...but I haven't been able to cut a straight line ever (I'm a leftie). I'm now on the hunt for a stylist who understands microtrimming....and will not use one of those texturizing sheers!

Obsidian
August 13th, 2017, 09:10 AM
I think your hair looks great. It's health and shiny even if it's a cut you didn't want.

You might look for a barber, they are usually better at trims and don't try to "style" hair like stylists do.

Fashionista522
August 13th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Thank you, Obsidian! I keep reminding myself that it does look/is healthy (something it wasn't before). I never thought of a barber before the LHC...that's a good idea! P.S.--

lithostoic
August 13th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Oh, it is so frustrating when they don't listen! That's why I cut mine myself. I'd suggest cutting it straight across (or in a U-shape) at the shortest length you feel comfortable and then from there on microtrim. I'm also growing out a razor cut, though it's been a few years. I'd say it's finally almost gone! Just the last 5 inches or so.

Fashionista522
August 13th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Lithostoic-- It's taken years to grow out your razor cut? Is that with microtrims? That makes me feel better!

bunzfan
August 13th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Just want to say I've been there I know how upsetting it can be they did it to me without asking, if you look at my pictures you'll see my progress I've finally grown out all the thinned out bits it took years through.. Micro trimming helps but I did some big trims too feel free to message me.

Eastbound&Down
August 13th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Thank you, Pili! I was considering cutting my own hair...but I haven't been able to cut a straight line ever (I'm a leftie). I'm now on the hunt for a stylist who understands microtrimming....and will not use one of those texturizing sheers!

I'm also I leftie and I cut my own hair (on the rate occasion that I let scissors touch my head). So it is possible!

LizzyGrant
August 13th, 2017, 10:51 AM
I've had bad hair cuts too. They always cut too much - at least twice the amount I ask for! This lead to not gaining much growth in the last two years. And they always wanted to rip some wispy face framing layers in to my hair even if I didn't ask for them. My hair often looks bad because of those face framing layers. With my hair texture, they just look frizzy and dry, even if they are healthy. Before when my stepmother used to cut my hair, it actually grew longer. With hairdressers I'm stuck in the same length all the time.. So I decided no more hairdressers for my hair. For now on I'll just cut it myself since I know best what my hair needs. I'd recommend it to you too if you like to give it a try. If you decide to go for it, buy some quality hair scissors that you only use on hair :) Hopefully you get out of that "bad hair zone" soon! I'm sure it isn't as bad as you think :blossom:

spidermom
August 13th, 2017, 12:05 PM
I hate to have my hair thinned, too. Some hair stylists seem to think that thickness is a fault that must be corrected. Anyway - patience. Teeny small trims at the bottom is the remedy.

Alibran
August 13th, 2017, 01:03 PM
My best results were with a newly qualified stylist who had changed career and trained as a hairdresser in her late 30s. She didn't have the experience or confidence to just 'wing it' and she was very keen to give her clients what they wanted. As long as I could explain clearly exactly what I wanted, she did exactly what I asked for. After 5 years, she knew me and my hair so well that she pretty much knew what I would want, but I could still totally trust her to never act on an idea without discussing it in detail, and going through the pros and cons of it, with me first. I moved away recently, and I think I'm going to have to figure out how to cut my own hair. I don't think I can go through the stress of finding a new stylist again.

Cherriezzzzz
August 13th, 2017, 02:00 PM
I'd like to second that your hair looks very good! But yes it is short... I'd join the no trim challenge 2018! Then you'll have a solid year of growth and can try a tiny trim yourself in jan 2019! You'll most likely grow back all the length you lost by then.

lithostoic
August 13th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Lithostoic-- It's taken years to grow out your razor cut? Is that with microtrims? That makes me feel better!

I had razored bangs and layers all the way down on long hair. So yes, it's taken quite a while. I grew it out for a year, cut a few inches. Grew it out for two and a half years with no trims. Chopped to CBL December 2015. Then a few months after is when I started microtrimming. Recently I've only been cutting off single split ends and letting the rest grow.

lapushka
August 13th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Looks like you went from around BSL to APL. That's quite a bit of length. What puzzles me is why you keep returning to the hairdresser so often. You don't need a trim every 6 to 8 weeks, or your hair just won't (or barely) grow. What hairdressers try and tell you is a myth. I think the idea of joining the no trimming challenge/thread for 2018 is a good idea! Or, you could microtrim.

I would look up Feye's self-trimming method; it's a life-saver. And that you are a leftie shouldn't hinder you. If you have the correct shears, for lefties (and they exist), then there's no issue.

Fashionista522
August 13th, 2017, 04:07 PM
I cannot thank you enough! Yes, I went from BSL to APL to SL (now). My hair was getting tangled and knotty...it seemed like the split ends were creeping in. I love a challenge, and I will be joining the no trim challenge. If I need a trim, I'll try to either do it myself (oh boy) OR get a microtrim. It does look like I need a stylist who will listen to me...if I decide to do the microtrim route.

Corvana
August 13th, 2017, 04:19 PM
I definitely second finding a barber! While they do styles, that's usually in the realm of shaved designs, and any actual haircuts are just cuts.

But you could certainly do it yourself. If you get leftie hair shears (and only use them on hair!!), then that will help a ton! And then just trim teeny tiny bits. It's harder to mess up if you barely cut any off at a time.

Also, coffee&makeup has a youtube video about finding a stylist to cut your hair! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGBNXV2k6jk She's actually how I found out about LHC in the first place!

Fashionista522
August 13th, 2017, 04:23 PM
I've had bad hair cuts too. They always cut too much - at least twice the amount I ask for! This lead to not gaining much growth in the last two years. And they always wanted to rip some wispy face framing layers in to my hair even if I didn't ask for them. My hair often looks bad because of those face framing layers. With my hair texture, they just look frizzy and dry, even if they are healthy. Before when my stepmother used to cut my hair, it actually grew longer. With hairdressers I'm stuck in the same length all the time.. So I decided no more hairdressers for my hair. For now on I'll just cut it myself since I know best what my hair needs. I'd recommend it to you too if you like to give it a try. If you decide to go for it, buy some quality hair scissors that you only use on hair :) Hopefully you get out of that "bad hair zone" soon! I'm sure it isn't as bad as you think :blossom:

Where do I find quality scissors? And how often do you guys S&D?

Fashionista522
August 13th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Just want to say I've been there I know how upsetting it can be they did it to me without asking, if you look at my pictures you'll see my progress I've finally grown out all the thinned out bits it took years through.. Micro trimming helps but I did some big trims too feel free to message me.

Your hair is goals! I'm loving all the long wavy hair on these threads...drooling over here!

Corvana
August 13th, 2017, 04:55 PM

That really depends on where you live! But I think if you're able to use it, Amazon will likely be a good place to look. Just search "left handed hair scissors"!

Fashionista522
August 13th, 2017, 04:56 PM
I'm also I leftie and I cut my own hair (on the rate occasion that I let scissors touch my head). So it is possible!

Where did you find your leftie scissors? And how often do you trim? I feel like my split ends become tangled if I wait too long.

Zesty
August 13th, 2017, 05:03 PM

I don't know where you're located, but beauty supply stores have them. I bought mine at Sally's and I've also seen them at Ulta. But you can find them at drugstores and even grocery stores. Or on Amazon! They don't have to be expensive, just so long as they're marked for hair and are sharp and you don't use them for anything else.

I'm a lazy S&D-er and do it irregularly. My first-thought advice would probably be to look around every two weeks or so. It's easy to get crazy with it.

Fashionista522
August 13th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Amazon! Wonderful. Thank you so much! (I'm in NY-- Long Island).

Corvana
August 13th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Amazon! Wonderful. Thank you so much! (I'm in NY-- Long Island).

Ah good! You've got loads of options, then! I prefer to look on Amazon first, and then when I find something I like I'll google it to see if I can get it cheaper elsewhere. 50/50 on results of that, but either way I get what I want for a pretty good price!

And the first time you S&D you'll probably find a ton. Don't stress it, and remember that it's the first time and there's "backlog". I'd then (personally, but try what works for you!) wait a month to do it again. Should be a lot less because you'd just "cleared" your hair a month before! But S&D too often can become obsessive! And if even after several months you're finding tons and tons of splits, you may need to step back and look at your haircare routine.

Fashionista522
August 13th, 2017, 06:48 PM
I can see myself getting addicted to S&D!!! I am going to wait a bit after this chop to start that process. Good point about my hair care routine. I will be incorporating CWC in my routine going forward. I've also purchased Panacea!!

papillon
August 13th, 2017, 08:29 PM
I'm recovering from a bad cut from June. It's taken a couple of months to be at a state where I actually think it looks good. It takes plenty of patience. There are a couple of "no trimming" threads and threads devoted to growing from one goal length to another goal length. Those are fun support threads.

Fashionista522
August 13th, 2017, 08:41 PM
Thank you, Papillion! I'm finding the LHC to be wonderful. So glad I found it!

enting
August 14th, 2017, 06:55 AM
I'll add my vote to learning to trim your own hair. I never thought my hair could get past midback, and it was half due to hairdressers cutting off all my growth every year.

Even if you can't cut a straight line you can still learn to trim your hair yourself. The creaclip method or the book method should be able to give you a straight line to cut against. You can even combine methods, like using Feye's method and then putting a barrette on the very ends to provide a straight line to cut. My mom used to use a piece of scotch tape to help her cut my bangs when I was little! Just cut a little of the way across at a time and you can do it.

I use Fiskars fabric shears for my hair. I also have a Fiskars brand scissor sharpener that I use to sharpen the scissors before every trim I do. I like having a sharpener around. (This company also makes left handed scissors and they have a sharpener that works with it.)

I don't know how others feel about using fabric shears on hair. Most people here seem to go for proper hairdressers scissors, preferably ones that are durable and don't need sharpening.

Fashionista522
August 14th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Enting- it's funny because I feel like I haven't made any real progress since March of 2016. I know it is due to hairdressers taking off my growth each time I went. The LHC has really opened my eyes to the fact that my routine trims (8-10 weeks) have caused this. I have a pair of leftie hair scissors in my cart at amazon and have watched Feye's videos to learn that I like the blunt, straight across style. I think it'll be a long road there, but I'm happy I found this forum for support!

enting
August 14th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Yay for LHC!

I think a large factor for me was also that my hair is fragile and splits. Microtrimming really helps me retain my ends instead of having them shred up and up and break off. On top of the shredding and breakage I'd only get a trim once a year and tell them to take off the split ends. That of course was 4"-6" off on top of whatever had broken off during the year.
Learning to treat my hair more gently also helped me gain longer lengths. My first major leap in growth happened during my first year of wearing it up and protected almost all the time.

You can do it! I can't wait to see what interesting things you may find that helps. I think we'll all expect progress pictures!

Fashionista522
August 14th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Thank you, Enting! I am excited to start the journey (the right way this time) and I will be updating my progress!