PDA

View Full Version : When did people around you start to notice your long hair?

Wavybrunetteuk
August 12th, 2017, 11:25 PM
For those of you who grew their hair from short/medium length to longish or very long: when did people start to say "wow, your hair is so long"? APL? BSL? MBL? Or longer?

When I was at university I had BSL hair (the longest I've ever had it) and people would say "wow your hair is so long!" But I don't think it is long to me now.

I think back back then I considered APL long; now I'm not sure I will consider BSL long. I'm strange...

what about you guys?

spidermom
August 12th, 2017, 11:31 PM
People started noticing when my hair ends reached my buttocks. (obviously I've cut back since then, but I still get compliments, just not the "wow your hair is so long" comments)

Sarahlabyrinth
August 12th, 2017, 11:36 PM
Probably at about classic, but I hardly ever wear it down.

Siv
August 13th, 2017, 12:37 AM
I think I never had it long enough that people go "wow it's so long!".. But around MBL people seem to consider me "generally more longhaired than most". I've only ever had people I know say something when it came up in a conversation, no one has ever spontaneously commented on the length. Thinking about it, I can't be exactly sure why, but looking at people around here, BSL seem to be the norm for long hair, and those with longer generally have extensions or their natural colour... So when I have MBL+, unstyled 1a/2c (i.e. obviously no extensions) and a colour that isn't usually seen on "natural" adult longhairs, I guess that makes it a bit unusual? Only women seem to think about that though, but I guess they on average can spot dyed hair/extensions/split ends/heat styled hair more easily :laugh:

VersLaLumière
August 13th, 2017, 12:50 AM
For me it was at the point when my hair hit a solid BSL - solid as in all of my hair (including most of my layers) over the band and not just barely touching it. I'm on the tall side, so my hair has to be fairly long already to reach BSL length. Of course it doesn't look as long to me as it does to others :pinktongue:

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 13th, 2017, 01:07 AM
Around when I first hit MBL I think.

FuzzyBlackWaves
August 13th, 2017, 01:23 AM
Somewhere between waist and hip for me.

leayellena
August 13th, 2017, 01:37 AM
My family knew from the day I left them that I will let my hair grow. What they don't care and know is how healthy it is and how healthy and longer is going to be

restless
August 13th, 2017, 01:58 AM
Id say the comments about my hair being long started around BSL.

unheardletters
August 13th, 2017, 04:31 AM
I started getting long hair comments at APL, which feels weird to me. But here APL is not a common length, plus these comments are coming from people with short hair. I had pixie cut 2 years ago.

school of fish
August 13th, 2017, 06:46 AM
I've grown and cut to between hip length and chin length a few times over my lifetime, and the last time I grew long from a bob was about 15 years ago. As I recall my length gain seemed to happen fast and people noticed that, although honestly it was just the combination of my 1/2"-per-month growth rate, not cutting for a couple years and my short height that made it appear to grow so quickly.

It was around waist length that I started really getting the notice on the length itself - at the time that was considered uncommonly long amongst my circle. Back then extensions hadn't yet hit wide - once they became more widely available and longer hair became a more common sight it was hip length that got people noticing my length.

Now at tailbone length I get notice on the length and comments fairly regularly. Come to think of it, some of those comments come from people noticing that my length is my own, not extensions - I think around here these days it's generally assumed that past maybe waist or hip length must be assisted by extensions, so people I guess are in a bit awed when they encounter longer lengths that aren't extended.

Simsy
August 13th, 2017, 07:14 AM
I got occasional comments from family from about waist length, but I leave mine up the vast majority of the time so most people don't get to see it. Hubby mentioned the length at just past hip, more as a general observation than any sort of surprise.

Carolyn
August 13th, 2017, 07:29 AM
I recall having one comment about 20 years ago when i was growing from shoulder length. I think it was just past arm pit and I had recently started to feel it was getting longer. I haven't had a comment since then. I wear it up 99% of the time now.

lapushka
August 13th, 2017, 07:40 AM
My mom noticed pretty much straight away and said something along the lines of it needing a cut or something. I said I was no longer cutting it but growing it. At first: disbelief and "really?" but then when she noticed how easy it was for me during the week, she was sold. :D

lithostoic
August 13th, 2017, 08:18 AM
When I was nearing BSL. I had chopped to CBL and grown from there.

pailin
August 13th, 2017, 08:38 AM
For me, around hip to tailbone. These days people at work have started to call my hair really long, which I figure is saying something since my coworkers are from a traditionally long-haired culture.

wispe
August 13th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Past solid waist is when I started getting notice about the length from family that doesn't see me often. Haven't been noticed by anyone else that I know of yet. I suspect when I return to school in the next year or so (as is the plan) anybody that remembers me will notice the difference in length-they last saw me at about BSL (my hair was shoulder when I first started there). But more people will notice the color change, since they last saw me with a full bleach + pink.

Tbh I see a lot of hip+ length in my area and age range, I don't expect to get much notice about the length until past tailbone or so. People are more likely to point out my pink ends still, whether its down or in an updo.

pili
August 13th, 2017, 08:45 AM
A long time ago I grew it to almost hip. It was a rounded U shape then, and I think I started getting comments when I was solidly at BSL.

RileyAnn
August 13th, 2017, 09:10 AM
My cousin enjoys rubbing my hip length hair against his face and I enjoy beating him with it when he does that.:pins:

katydid317
August 13th, 2017, 10:32 AM
I have had a couple people at work comment that my hair is getting long, and I'm around APL right now. I did have it cut to just longer than chin length last year, and my hair is always up at work unless I have washed it right before. I let it dry down and then put it up so it's been then that I get those comments.

Hairkay
August 13th, 2017, 12:26 PM
My hair shrinks up a lot, even so I have had a few comments when it got to MBL stretched (curly apl). I recall passing by a work colleague who said my hair had really grown a lot. This year someone asked me what I had done to my hair because they noticed the growth. A friend stretched out one of my plaits/braids then took a picture of it. I think it's to show the friends she talked to about me not using any shampoo and only using fruit DIY hair masks on my hair. She'd told them it got longer with my habits and they all had a laugh.

floridaorchid
August 13th, 2017, 01:20 PM
My cousin enjoys rubbing my hip length hair against his face and I enjoy beating him with it when he does that.:pins:

Kids tend to love playing with long hair, unfortunately long hair does not like playing with kids.

floridaorchid
August 13th, 2017, 01:21 PM
I had TBL hair back in 2013 and I would get a lot of comments on it being long. However now it is almost TBL and other than kids touching it, no one really comments on it.

Andthetalltrees
August 13th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Around APL because I had kept a chin length bob for over a year before so people who had seen me with short hair then "suddenly" longer were surprised. Haven't gotten any since though

maborosi
August 13th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Hip-length. Now if I wear it down everyone notices. Anything past WL is really uncommon where I live, and I have past classic hair, so someone always has questions :o

Dark40
August 13th, 2017, 09:02 PM
I started getting hair comments from my mother at BSL. She said, "It's getting long." I Wavybrunetteuk, I also consider BSL long too!

Dark40
August 13th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Hip-length. Now if I wear it down everyone notices. Anything past WL is really uncommon where I live, and I have past classic hair, so someone always has questions :o

I also consider Hip-Length very long too! Yeah, that's me too. If I wear it down everyone notices it. Well, where I live WL is very common whether it's fake or real. You are so blessed to hair that's past classic length! I bet someone always has questions!

enting
August 14th, 2017, 06:42 AM
I think I first started getting comments around when it passed waist. I had also never had hair that long before. I wonder how much of the comments are due to how long we feel our hair is. Maybe it was something in my attitude that brought people's attention to it?

Right now at "can I call this TBL" I am getting an increase in comments. The comments also seem to be more shocked. I even got a comment when my hair was bunned recently!