PDA

View Full Version : Castor oil ruined my hair!

Megster27
August 11th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I used castor oil on my hair a few months ago to encourage it to grow. Ever since it's felt like straw 😢 So dry and brittle especially on the ends 😔

Anyone else experienced this? Has anyone managed to reverse the damage?

Thanks xxx

Bluecardigan
August 11th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Have you tried a clarifying shampoo? Perhaps it feels dry and brittle because of build-up caused by the oil? Just a thought. :)

animetor7
August 11th, 2017, 01:28 PM
I second clarifying. Also where did you put it? Some people have said that it works to encourage growth when put on the scalp, I don't know if this is true, but it certainly would give you a better chance than if you put in on your lengths. Good luck!! And next time you try oiling maybe something like coconut, jojoba, or olive oil instead.

floridaorchid
August 11th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Really? What is your hair type if you don't mind me asking?
I've only ever heard really good things about it, and was actually thinking about purchasing some for my self. :o

Megster27
August 11th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Hi animetor7 and bluecardigan thanks for your replies! I applied it to the scalp and lengths. I'll definitely give the clarifying shampoo a try 😊

Thank you xxxxx

Megster27
August 11th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Hi floridaorchid, I had only ever heard good things too. My hair is curly and a couple of inches past my shoulder. My strands are fine but I have a lot of hair if you know what I mean.

It just made my hair feel brittle and like it needs a trim. The ends tangle so easily and feel like they are going to break off xxxx

animetor7
August 11th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Hi animetor7 and bluecardigan thanks for your replies! I applied it to the scalp and lengths. I'll definitely give the clarifying shampoo a try ��

Thank you xxxxx

Ah, that might explain it, generally castor oil is a scalp only thing. Good luck with clarifying, that often sorts out hair issues even if you don't know exactly what's wrong. I did the same thing to my hair with olive oil when I first joined here, crunchy, brittle lengths that weren't happy. Clarifying helped a lot!!! Although if there is still some oil sitting on the ends soaking in conditioner might help get the oil out more efficiently. Good luck!!

Megster27
August 11th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Great thanks! I'll definitely give it a try and let you know xxx

diddiedaisy
August 11th, 2017, 02:45 PM
My hair hates castor oil, it makes it feel like straw. It's the only oil I can't use. If I was you I'd just stop using it and try to find an oil your hair likes :)

Megster27
August 11th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Thanks diddiedaisy. I used it twice a few months ago but not since. I'll use a clarifying shampoo and a different type of oil. What oil do you find works best for you? Xx 😊

Ophidian
August 11th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Even if your hair doesn't like it I doubt you have any lasting damage--probably just some build up. I'd agree with the others that a good clarifying wash should help a lot. Oils are so individual. What works for one person may not work at all for another.

floridaorchid
August 11th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Megaster27,
Oh no, I'm sorry! :(
I think they are right about using a clarifying shampoo.
If you're looking for a new oil, maybe try argon oil? It's pretty nice and the only negative thing I heard is that it can be pricey. They do have one on Amazon that I've tried before by Radha that is not too terribly priced. It doesn't smell the best, but I think maybe some essential oils will work well to mask it. I always used a leave in conditioner at the same time that would mask the smell.
Best of luck in getting your hair to feel better, I'm sure everyone here will have some wonderful answers for you.

diddiedaisy
August 11th, 2017, 03:25 PM
Thanks diddiedaisy. I used it twice a few months ago but not since. I'll use a clarifying shampoo and a different type of oil. What oil do you find works best for you? Xx 😊

My new holy grail is sunflower mixed with a bit of olive oil. I apply it on dry hair overnight. The sunflower soaks into the hair shaft as does the olive to a lesser extent. I use it to help the hair shaft stay stronger as I bleach. Although applying on dry hair doesn't moisturise it does help your hair keep hold of moisture after the event.

To use as a moisturiser you need to dampen your hair before you apply the oil. I also find it washes out very easily. I condition wash condition when I've used oil.

Good luck :)

Nightshade
August 11th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Castor oil is mostly (95%) ricinoleic acid, which is a fatty acid that has several properties one of them being membrane-disruptive effects of detergent-like molecules, such as sodium ricinoleate (a 'soap')". In other words, castor oil does a great job dissolving other oils in a detergent-like fashion, which is why it's so drying on the length. This same property is what helps it penetrate the skin, which is why it's helpful both on its own and with essential oils at the scalp. This is also why castor oil tends to be a scalp-only oil (and at that cut with another, thinner, carrier oil).

Ophidian
August 11th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Castor oil is mostly (95%) ricinoleic acid, which is a fatty acid that has several properties one of them being membrane-disruptive effects of detergent-like molecules, such as sodium ricinoleate (a 'soap')". In other words, castor oil does a great job dissolving other oils in a detergent-like fashion, which is why it's so drying on the length. This same property is what helps it penetrate the skin, which is why it's helpful both on its own and with essential oils at the scalp. This is also why castor oil tends to be a scalp-only oil (and at that cut with another, thinner, carrier oil).

:bowtome:

This is very cool.

reilly0167
August 11th, 2017, 04:30 PM
I suggest clarifying as well, perhaps mix some castor oil with another oil to thin it out, like coconut, avocado or olive oil(s). Castor oil is very thick:)

Megster27
August 12th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Thank you floridaorchid. I bought a clarifying shampoo today so going to try it in the morning. Fingers crossed xxx

Megster27
August 12th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Hi Ophidian, thanks for your reply. That makes sense. I just hope I can replace the dissolved oils. Any suggestions?

Thanks xxxx

Megster27
August 12th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Thanks diddiedaisy! I'll give that a try! 😊👍

Megster27
August 12th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Thanks reilly0167. Sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try xx

Megster27
August 12th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Hi nightshade, thanks for your reply. Do you know if I can replace the dissolved oils? 😑

spidermom
August 12th, 2017, 02:23 PM
Follow the clarifying wash with a moisturizing hair treatment. A 10+ minute soak in your favorite conditioner will work but probably not as well as a masque.

My hair responds beautifully to coconut oil to the length an hour to a day before washing my hair.

Nightshade
August 12th, 2017, 10:15 PM
Hi nightshade, thanks for your reply. Do you know if I can replace the dissolved oils? ��

Yes you can! :)

Keep in mind that oils, in of themselves are not moisturizing.

What oils do is impart important lipids and fatty acids, which add softness and flexibility to the hair shaft. Oils are also emollients, more specifically, occlusives, which form a thin, moisture-locking barrier atop the skin and hair cells that reduces the evaporation of moisture. If your hair is very dry oiling might help a bit by replenishing critical fatty acids and by helping it keep whatever small amount of moisture it has inside of it, but it cannot actually moisturize the hair on its own.

The most effective way to go about moisturizing, then, is to

1. Impart moisture using mositure rich ingredients and humecents
2. Keep moisture inside the hair by using an emollent / occlusive

I would try giving your hair a long soak in conditioner, rinsing, and then sealing that in with an oil. I would pick another hair friendly oil (coconut oil and sunflower oil are both great to start with), rub a few drops in your hands, and then work it over your hair when it's damp.

Krissycats
August 13th, 2017, 02:44 AM
I just bought a bottle of castor oil, but I've been using it on my brows and lashes. I have been using argan oil on my hair lately and that seems to really work.