PDA

View Full Version : Help with ponytail damage and style/tool suggestions

katydid317
August 11th, 2017, 06:25 AM
Feb 2016 I did a big chop from almost BSL to just above shoulder because I had lost so much hair after my last baby that the new stuff growing in looked ridiculous because it was too short to pull up into a ponytail with the rest of my hair.

So now I'm noticing that I have almost the same amount of weird wispy hair all around my head and it's especially noticeable with a French braid for some reason. I finally realized it must be from breakage because I almost always have my hair in a ponytail or bun held with an elastic band. So I have ditched the bands and am back to using my hair forks. I have 2, an aluminum one I bought on easy and one my brother made for me with some kind of pretty striped wood.

My hair is about APL right now and is starting get to get awkward in a French twist which is my go to hair fork style. I bought a couple spin pins but everything is try with them falls out.

My hair is very fine and slippery and used to be relatively thick but now feels a lot thinner than it used to be. Maybe my hair is getting thinner with age? I stopped dyeing my hair almost 5 years ago when I got pregnant with my second baby and my last hair cut in December I was complaining that it won't hold curl and the hairdresser said it was "too healthy" and that some damage from dye or heat would help. Not interested in damaging my hair thanks, but I would like to make it stronger if that's possible. So I'm looking for suggestions and how tos for ways/tools to put it up and maybe treatments to make it stronger. I don't condition it often because it gets greasy fast, I wash daily or every other day because of that, and I like to keep it up at night but hair sticks don't seem good for sleeping with.

CrowningGlory
August 11th, 2017, 01:49 PM
Are you sure it's breakage? Your hairdresser said your hair was "too healthy", you had hair loss after your last baby, and the wisps are the same length ... sounds like new growth to me. Try a light product (I like aloe vera gel but a light styling product or even oil would work) to keel the wispies in place and see if they blend in better in a few months.

katydid317
August 12th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Are you sure it's breakage? Your hairdresser said your hair was "too healthy", you had hair loss after your last baby, and the wisps are the same length ... sounds like new growth to me. Try a light product (I like aloe vera gel but a light styling product or even oil would work) to keel the wispies in place and see if they blend in better in a few months.

My last baby was born Oct 2014 so it's not from that. Maybe it's just how I shed and that's regrowth from that. I will try the aloe gel to tame them and lay of the elastics anyway for a few months and see if I notice a difference.

The only thing I like about the wispy parts is that they curl.

lapushka
August 12th, 2017, 03:06 PM
My last baby was born Oct 2014 so it's not from that. Maybe it's just how I shed and that's regrowth from that. I will try the aloe gel to tame them and lay of the elastics anyway for a few months and see if I notice a difference.

The only thing I like about the wispy parts is that they curl.

Look at this thread for some inspiration:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555