PDA

View Full Version : 2a texture and bangs?

Kae612
August 10th, 2017, 10:13 PM
I'd been feeling like cutting my hair lately, and decided to sleep on it for a bit. I've recently hit about hip length (a couple inches above tailbone, I think that's right?) and realized I really like it, and I'm definitely getting a kick out of growing it longer still, and enjoying learning all the styles. But I do want some sort of change. I feel like I look really boring with all my hair pulled back all the time, but it's too everywhere to really leave down except at home.

I really like how Torrin Paige uses her bangs, and I'm thinking about something that might add more front interest. It's been long enough I don't really know how my hair behaves when it's short, the last time I had shorter hair the face framing layers were still long enough to tuck behind my ears. The only people I know who have bangs have like 1a hair, so....

So anyone out there with 2a hair that's tried bangs of any sort, how did they behave? What kind of bangs did you have? What did you usually do with them? Did you like them?

diddiedaisy
August 11th, 2017, 02:12 AM
I have 2a hair and bangs which length wise are just below the eyes. I sweep them to the side. There is no wave whatsoever to them as my wave pattern doesn't start at that length. It's very well behaved and I don't find that having bangs takes any extra care.

I think as a 2a you would avoid wavy bangs. Look where your wave pattern starts and assess from there. :)

lapushka
August 11th, 2017, 04:14 AM
So anyone out there with 2a hair that's tried bangs of any sort, how did they behave? What kind of bangs did you have? What did you usually do with them? Did you like them?

I have a little more than 2a, sometimes I do still think of me that way, though. And for me, they get oily superfast (2 days), so I'd need to wash them frequently, and they stuck out in all kinds of weird places after sleep, which meant styling every day. Since that was such a hassle, I decided at one point to grow them out (this was in my teens and one revisit in my 20s), and I never looked back.

CrowningGlory
August 11th, 2017, 04:43 AM
Torrin Paige's bangs are thin and a good place to start if you're not sure as they'll blend into your length easily after a few months if you don't like them. (I love her bangs too but have the wrong face shape and hairline to be able to carry that style off).

I think my hair is 2a or even 2b. I have ringlets wash day that fall into waves by Day 2 and can be almost straight by Day 7. Anyway, I have a fringe and keep it on the short side because when it gets below eyebrow length it starts to curl weirdly. But by keeping it short I don't even need to style it every day (not everyone's experience I know) and feel that the wave gives it a bit of volume so it doesn't sit flat on my forehead.

draysmir
August 11th, 2017, 07:51 AM
I have 2a hair and my bangs usually flick in some sort of direction, like the beginning of a wave but not a full one. I got them to naturally dry pretty ok when they were straight across bangs, but once I started to put them off to the side they would begin to flick. Sometimes my bangs dried nice, sometimes they would dry weird so I would just pin them back until next time I washed my hair. They're about mouth length stretched now, so they sometimes have a wave in them, but sometimes they're still just flicky. My bangs aren't properly wavy and not annoying until they're a couple inches past my chin usually.

I think there are definitely pros and cons to having bangs with 2a type hair. I don't like dealing with bangs, so I always grow mine out right away because they annoy me, but if you want to try something different with your hair then I think bangs would be a good idea. :)

lithostoic
August 11th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Torrin herself has 2b hair

MidnightMoon
August 11th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Why not get a small straightener?
I think having bangs with anything that's not 1a or 1b can be a bit harder to style or acomodate, specially when hair is still newly washed (which, as mentioned, should be done more regularly than with the rest of the hair).
Since it's short hair you don't intend to grow, it will make no harm to straighten it.

unheardletters
August 11th, 2017, 10:58 AM
I had bangs when my hair was 2a years ago, but it always flipped up at the bottom and was greasy and had to be washed and styled daily.

DweamGoiL
August 11th, 2017, 11:14 AM
My bangs used to get very greasy as well. My hair had more of a wave than now, but as others have mentioned, my wave didn't really start that high up. If I let them dry naturally, they definitely did not just lay flat and would split in a weird way so I had to blow dry them almost every morning to get them to lay nicely.

littlestarface
August 11th, 2017, 11:18 AM
I have side bangs well had they've grown out so much now they are to my shoulders. With my texture I can't get short straight bangs.

Anje
August 11th, 2017, 11:25 AM
Bangs are terrible on me, but in all honestly, that has at least as much to do with my face shape as anything. They're definitely a bit wacky and wavy though, if they're not flat-ironed. Don't be afraid to have a small straightener that just gets used on bangs. They'll get trimmed before they show damage.

lithostoic
August 11th, 2017, 11:32 AM
To add, I've had bangs many times without issue. Block fringe, "scene hair", and side bangs. I didn't need to use heat most of the time. I'd comb them straight while wet and put a beanie hat on to let them dry in place. I'm only 1c though. And my bangs flip up/to the side rather than under. I think it depends on your wave pattern.

hobbitlocks
August 11th, 2017, 11:37 AM
When I've had side swept bangs in the past, I've just used a curling iron to help give them a nicer wave/flip if my waves weren't playing nice that day. Then I would normally put them in one of those velcro rollers to cool while I finished getting ready. The hair at my widows peak has a different wave pattern than the rest of my hair (ugh), but it only took like a minute to heat up the iron and curl the one piece of hair. I really liked the way they looked, but I also dislike the feeling of hair in my face so I haven't had them in a while.

Roscata
August 11th, 2017, 12:39 PM
All my life I wanted bangs and every time I tried it I was unable to style them in any way that I liked. *shurg* Maybe I'm just bad at styling, but for me bangs never looked nice.
Why don't you try some clip in bangs? That way you can easily change your mind.

Reyn127
August 11th, 2017, 01:03 PM
My hair is 2a with some areas being close to 2b, and I've had bangs on and off throughout my life. Overall, I find that my hair is "straight enough" that I can easily dampen and comb my bangs to be pretty near straight in the morning if they need it. You might want to factor in how your hair lays or any cowlicks you might have though. I have one that makes my bangs part on one side and lie flat in that direction, which can be annoying it you want them to be neat. Also, how oily your hair is and how often you want to wash it/your bangs might be something to think about. Another thing is, they can take a while to grow out and blend in, depending on how short they are, if you decide you don't like or want them anymore. My bangs JUST started staying back in the low braids I usually keep my hair in, now that they've reached about shoulder length.

ReadingRenee
August 11th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Torrin herself has 2b hair

She does? I have only ever seen her hair super straight. How does she do that?

I have 2bish hair and sometimes I have successful bangs and sometimes I don't. I do find I need to straighten them with either a straightener or a blow dryer sometimes. I like torrins bangs too and have been contemplating wispy bangs.

Lizzie.torp
August 11th, 2017, 02:35 PM
She does? I have only ever seen her hair super straight. How does she do that?

Torrin blow dries her hair weekly.

I've had bangs on and off and they never work for me in the summer mostly because I have a cowlick and they get sweaty easily but as long as it isn't too humid, you should be okay with wispy bangs.

Kae612
August 12th, 2017, 10:23 AM
Thanks everyone! It sounds like I may just have to give it a shot and see because it just depends lol.

I'm really unsure about my "wave pattern" - I rarely see my waves except when I've freshly washed my hair, but even higher up than actual waves start my hair tends to volume and fluff. I have some permanently wispy bits at my temples that are very floofy and will stick straight out, but if I get them wet I can usually shape them into cute little curls.

My guess is that bangs will need some similar attention, either water or like several people suggested a small heat tool. I think I may just have to try and see and throw caution to the wind, because really worst case I don't like them I can just grow them out to cheekbone/ear layers in a few months and I remember that looked nice on me. XD

Thanks again!

Obsidian
August 12th, 2017, 12:13 PM
I love bangs on me and as I grow my pixie out, I plan to keep my bangs around eyebrow length. Unfortunately, not only do they get oily fast but they turn every which way. That means daily washing and either blow drying or flat ironing. It really only take 5 minutes to wash and dry so its not terrible and if I really don't want to bother, I just pin them back.

wispe
August 12th, 2017, 03:39 PM
I just cut bangs back in after growing them out for a few years, and before that, I've had some form of bangs nearly all my life. I prefer sideswept bangs to straight-across, having had both, because my bangs tend to swoop and I like them long enough to tuck behind my ears. I very rarely have to style them - I flip my part from one side to the other every half hour or so while I air dry, and fingercomb the hair by my face every time I flip it, and I find my bangs usually behave! On the rare occasion they don't look their best, I dampen, comb, re air-dry, done. Or tuck them behind the ears and we're good. I didn't used to wear my hair up when I had bangs before, but now that I've cut them back in I'm finding that they're super versatile. I don't have a problem clipping them into a little pouf, braiding them back, combing them into buns, etc. And I can leave them out whenever I want that look. The only trouble I've had is where I trimmed the hair in front of my ears a little shorter than I intended - that hair doesn't reach long enough to fit into a center braid or bun anymore (and sometimes I want it to), so I'm going to let those tendrils grow a little longer. I don't own heat tools, but am considering getting a little flat iron for these areas, since I can straighten or curl with one and sometimes the waves at my temples don't match the swoop of my bangs. I wouldn't mind using heat on those areas since I don't intend to grow them to great lengths. But I haven't really needed it in my life, either.

I also liked that with my texture it was really easy to grow my bangs out - they transition really well from sideswept bangs to face-framing layers to longer layers all on their own. I used to only get my hair cut maybe once or twice a year, and I never had much of an awkward stage/length even if I didn't trim my bangs between salon visits. And if I didn't feel like going for a haircut, I'd just trim them a little myself every now and then.

psst. I have little wispy horns too, which I can sometimes convince to curl along with the temple hair right beneath them, and when I have bangs the swoop helps hide them better than growing them out and trying to smooth the wisps back ever did.

ReadingRenee
August 12th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Torrin blow dries her hair weekly.

I've had bangs on and off and they never work for me in the summer mostly because I have a cowlick and they get sweaty easily but as long as it isn't too humid, you should be okay with wispy bangs.

Wow, mind blown. I guess I haven't watched enough of her videos. I had no idea. Thanks for enlightening me. :)

melesine
August 12th, 2017, 07:04 PM
I don't know, when I had bangs I had to heat style them. And let me tell you growing the back out is not something I ever want to do again. At hip, it would probably take 5-6 years.

amiaow
August 13th, 2017, 03:33 AM
I have blunt-cut bangs, have for years. I just blow dry them flat after washing. On subsequent days they can get a bit wavy so I run the straightener over them. They grow out that fast that you don't really need to worry about damage like you do your length, I have certainly never noticed any!

Kae612
August 13th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I might do it 😎 I tried some fake sideswept bangs today by arranging my hair. I think I'll try to do that a bunch with styles and if I really like it after a while I'll go get them cut. 😄