PDA

View Full Version : Hair has gotten much wavier as it's gotten longer?

Andthetalltrees
August 10th, 2017, 06:25 PM
This is something that confuses me, I'd think that shorter hair would be wavy/curlier since it has less weight. But I've notice that above APL my hair is basically straight, with body and flicky ends that form clumps(With above shoulder it's even straighter). Very recently Since growing past APL into more MBL territory it's starting to form legit waves. Especially underneath and on the front sides, I even have a few wurls I've never noticed before. They're very resilient too, I can't brush them out like I use to be able to.

Is this common? Is it possibly because I'm treating my hair better and giving it lots of moisture/found products it likes a lot. I know that WCC with a leave in every other day has improved the condition of my hair tremendously, So maybe it's just a side effect of healthier hair? I just find it weird that I've spent years trying to make my hair wavier before finally giving up and accepting it's just straight, And now that I'm not even trying it's decided to be wavy :laugh:. I'm not complaining though, They just eat up more of my length ;)

Wavybrunetteuk
August 10th, 2017, 07:13 PM
I would like to know too. My hair is wavy and my current goal is BSL. I would really like MBL hair but I'm afraid it'll be too heavy and I'll loose my waves.

meteor
August 10th, 2017, 07:25 PM
That's not unusual with loose waves, for example. I had that going on around MBL-waist. When it was shorter than that, my hair was too short to reveal the whole range of large S-waves going on. But still, as my hair grew longer, gravity had bigger say - my waves are now weighed down too much and can go pretty straight.
It's also possible that the natural texture simply changed over time (hormonal changes, for example).

It really depends. And you can largely encourage waves by strategic layering, plopping, scrunching, squish-to-condish, root-clipping, some wet setting techniques, etc... I also find that textured hair needs some techniques for preserving curls/waves overnight - from pineappling to bantu knots... and may require wetting or washing to refresh curls/waves. Without that, wavy hair can go straighter as days go by after a wash.

Dark40
August 10th, 2017, 07:25 PM
I would also like to know too. I naturally have curly hair but I relax it every 20 weeks so that I don't suffer and damage or breakage. I also have MBL hair, and it really feels nice to have it!!! I've noticed that as it is getting longer it is wavier or going back to my natural curly state! But I have noticed about 2 inches of new growth!!

Andthetalltrees
August 10th, 2017, 07:46 PM
That's not unusual with loose waves, for example. I had that going on around MBL-waist. When it was shorter than that, my hair was too short to reveal the whole range of large S-waves going on. But still, as my hair grew longer, gravity had bigger say - my waves are now weighed down too much and can go pretty straight.
It's also possible that the natural texture simply changed over time (hormonal changes, for example).

It really depends. And you can largely encourage waves by strategic layering, plopping, scrunching, squish-to-condish, root-clipping, some wet setting techniques, etc... I also find that textured hair needs some techniques for preserving curls/waves overnight - from pineappling to bantu knots... and may require wetting or washing to refresh curls/waves. Without that, wavy hair can go straighter as days go by after a wash.

I expect much past hip it'll get straighter again, I'll enjoy it while it lasts! I don't think it was a texture change because the beginning of this year it was still pretty much straight

I'm not really concerned with encouraging them, or worrying about it. I finally got to a place where I don't care as much to experiment, I'm just accepting as it changes :D

Siv
August 11th, 2017, 01:22 AM
My hair does that too! I'd guess that one "curl" for me is about 15-20 cm (6-8 inches) long so at SL and shorter there's really no room for more than one or half a wave, which make it look more like "flicks" than waves. At APL - WL I have more waves, but they sort of, move down the length of my hair? I'd say the last 30 cm (12 in) have always been wavy with one or two waves in a hair strand, so at APL that's most of my hair except the crown, at BSL that's half of my hair, and at WL it's ~40% of my hair, and so on. The rest is weighed down straight. Maybe at longer lengths the entire hair will lose its wave since many seem to experience that, but I don't know yet... Maybe in a year and a half or so! :D

CrowningGlory
August 11th, 2017, 04:36 AM
That's not unusual with loose waves, for example. I had that going on around MBL-waist. When it was shorter than that, my hair was too short to reveal the whole range of large S-waves going on.

This. My hair needs length to reveal the waves ... and I don't lose them as my hair gets longer, I just get more waves. My fringe is straight and I keep it just above eyebrow length because once it gets to eyebrow it starts to curl to the side which is hard to control.

Your hair sounds perfectly normal to me and the same as what I've always known about my hair.

lapushka
August 11th, 2017, 05:19 AM
Is this common? Is it possibly because I'm treating my hair better and giving it lots of moisture/found products it likes a lot. I know that WCC with a leave in every other day has improved the condition of my hair tremendously, So maybe it's just a side effect of healthier hair? I just find it weird that I've spent years trying to make my hair wavier before finally giving up and accepting it's just straight, And now that I'm not even trying it's decided to be wavy :laugh:. I'm not complaining though, They just eat up more of my length ;)

Especially with barely wavy hair, or 2 type hair, it is common to gain more of the "design" of the wave in your hair as it grows. It's quite normal! So don't worry about it - enjoy it. This is often why we need more length when hair typing to get the full look of the pattern.

It can be different with 3 textures, as that curl tends to "hang out" with added length.

lithostoic
August 11th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Yes, I have less waves when my hair is short as opposed to long.

lucid
August 11th, 2017, 08:25 AM
My hair hold curl/waves better when it's long. The normal textur is still the same, stick straight. But I wonder why it holds waves and curls better?

Nique1202
August 12th, 2017, 05:34 AM
My hair also stays fairly straight when it's above my shoulders, it has a lot of body wave and a section at my fringe that gets curly when it's short but otherwise it looks like solidly 1b/1c. As soon as it touches my shoulders, it flips out into a perfect Jackie O shape. Then when it gets to about apl it starts to get a bit of a spiral curl at the ends. It stays straight above my shoulders, I never get waves up higher than that level except in my fringe when it's short, but below my shoulders my hair gets loose but regular S waves until the last ~6 inches/15 cm or so, and loose (~1.5 inch/3-4 cm diameter) spirals for the last bit. I don't know how common this is, but it definitely happens.

Andthetalltrees
August 12th, 2017, 09:08 AM
My hair hold curl/waves better when it's long. The normal textur is still the same, stick straight. But I wonder why it holds waves and curls better?

Mine is the same! When I had long hair(BSL-tailbone/classic) I use to curl my hair often and it would hold for DAYS. When i cut it a few years ago into a shorter style I was excited to curl it into more vintagy styles, But they wouldn't hold even for few hours. It's strange