PDA

View Full Version : My cat and I both have dandruff

thunderseed
August 8th, 2017, 09:49 PM
A couple years ago my skin started producing too much sebum and shedding too many dead skin cells. I have dandruff when my scalp is dry, and when it's wet there is a thick layer of white gunk. My skin everywhere else needs to be constantly exfoliated at an abnormal rate.

Just recently, my cat started to get dandruff too, and started licking constantly as if she was itchy, plus her fur started coming out in patches. The Vet put her on antibiotics, anti itch meds and hypoallergenic food, and the bald patches aren't getting worse but she still has dandruff and is licking at herself all the time. The Vet prescribed a pet safe oil to rub into her skin, saying it might be due to dry skin.

Me and my cat have a lot in common, you know what they say about pets being like their owners, because she's on a hypoallergenic diet with digestive issues, and I also have a lot of food sensitivities with digestive issues so my diet is also very restricted at the moment.

I was also getting super itchy, but I cured it by staying hydrated and making sure to wash my scalp and body daily. But I still have dandruff.

Because of the fact that my cat is also getting dandruff, and I found that staying hydrated helped my itching, I'm thinking we might both have dry skin. (It's hard to tell what my skin type is because it's not obviously oily or dry or anything) but I did buy a skin tester, and according to it, (I'm not sure how accurate it is) my skin AND my cat's skin is on the dry side.

But unfortunately, putting oil on my scalp sounds like a bad idea because I'm prone to scalp pimples (and I tried that in the past and oil seemed to make things a lot worse).

It seems like whatever is causing our dandruff is most likely in our environment because it's affecting my cat and I similarily.

I was thinking of buying a humidifier in case it is dry skin, but it's summer right now and according to the local weather, the humidity outside is at 50% lately. I don't have air conditioning, but I do use a powerful furnace fan that sucks the wind through my house, so there's a lot of air circulating through. I don't have a humidity thermometer so I have no idea what the humidity inside the house would be.
But my cat doesn't even spend a lot of time indoors in the summer. I'm just not sure if it's worth the investment.
I don't know what else it could be or what else I can do. Anyone have any ideas?

parkmikii
August 9th, 2017, 01:18 AM
I'd recommend reading this (http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.ro/2014/08/hair-loss-from-fungus-theory-stomach.html?m=1) and more around her blog. I hope it helps!

thunderseed
August 9th, 2017, 09:23 AM
I'd recommend reading this (http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.ro/2014/08/hair-loss-from-fungus-theory-stomach.html?m=1) and more around her blog. I hope it helps!

Thank you. I wonder if she ever resolved it yet, that update was quite a few years ago and she didn't know what was really causing all the symptoms. All her attempts to treat it as a fungal/yeast infection haven't really worked but I sort of wonder if she actually stayed on probiotics long enough and maybe needs to add in fermented foods and try the raw paleo in order to introduce good bacterias. :(

It is very interesting that her dog is having similar issues though.

The vet did check my cat's skin for yeast and found nothing abnormal, but I will put her on cat probiotics just in case.
I have had issues with yeast in the past, and successfully got rid of it with fermented foods and raw foods, so I might start that up again in case.

lithostoic
August 9th, 2017, 09:48 AM
50% humidity sounds like a dream. Ours is at 100% daily and we still use a humidifier in the bedroom. We got ours for like 30 bucks at Wal-Mart and it works great. I no longer have to sleep with my head under the covers in order to keep my throat moist.

lapushka
August 9th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Have you ever gone to a doctor for your scalp? It might be more than just your regular dandruff, and that's why you need a dermatologist.

parkmikii
August 9th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Thank you. I wonder if she ever resolved it yet, that update was quite a few years ago and she didn't know what was really causing all the symptoms. All her attempts to treat it as a fungal/yeast infection haven't really worked but I sort of wonder if she actually stayed on probiotics long enough and maybe needs to add in fermented foods and try the raw paleo in order to introduce good bacterias. :(

It is very interesting that her dog is having similar issues though.

The vet did check my cat's skin for yeast and found nothing abnormal, but I will put her on cat probiotics just in case.
I have had issues with yeast in the past, and successfully got rid of it with fermented foods and raw foods, so I might start that up again in case.

She did, I follow her on instagram (https://www.instagram.com/silberin_manelieht/) and have talked to her a few times. :D

thunderseed
August 17th, 2017, 07:31 PM
She did, I follow her on instagram (https://www.instagram.com/silberin_manelieht/) and have talked to her a few times. :D

Then what did she do to fix it?

thunderseed
August 17th, 2017, 07:58 PM
I noticed today that my other cat also has dandruff and is shedding a lot! Very weird.