PDA

View Full Version : Hair shedding for people who don't wash daily

KlutzyChy1
August 4th, 2017, 04:10 PM
I skipped 2 wash days and washed today and lost 150 hairs.I'm trying not to freak out. Is this too much? I'm sorry if this is repetitive.

Corvana
August 4th, 2017, 04:12 PM
I'll quote what I said on your last post:

Don't count them! It can lead to an obsession, which can lead to stress, which can lead to more shedding. It seems fine to me. If it's been a couple days, remember that you're probably getting out a couple days' worth of sheds, or at least part of them. I personally shed maybe half as much between washes, and then the rest comes out in the shower. Of course, that's where I detangle because I do it while slathered in conditioner lol.

Measure your pony circ, like... maybe once a month for a couple months. If it's the same, then you're fine.

If it looks like "extra", before you panic look at the hairs themselves. I've noticed that when I think it's "more" sheds, the hairs are just longer so they look like more.

*Wednesday*
August 4th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Lots of shedding posts today. ^ 😉 good words of advice above.

lapushka
August 4th, 2017, 04:31 PM
I even wouldn't recommend measuring your ponytail circumference monthly (it *can* vary month to month and that might cause panic). I would recommend to do it yearly, so you get an overview.

And if it is really thinning, trust me, you'll know!

Jo Ann
August 4th, 2017, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. It might be because you skipped your normal consecutive wash days. I've had that happen before I joined LHC back when I was washing my hair every couple of days and was off my "normal" schedule for whatever reason (sickness, away from home and unable to shower, etc)--I would shed like crazy! :shocked:

I'd wait and see how much is shed when you next wash your hair (assuming you go back to your "normal" schedule). If your shedding pattern is "normal" once you're back on your usual schedule, I'd just ignore this "aberration."

KlutzyChy1
August 4th, 2017, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. It might be because you skipped your normal consecutive wash days. I've had that happen before I joined LHC back when I was washing my hair every couple of days and was off my "normal" schedule for whatever reason (sickness, away from home and unable to shower, etc)--I would shed like crazy! :shocked:

I'd wait and see how much is shed when you next wash your hair (assuming you go back to your "normal" schedule). If your shedding pattern is "normal" once you're back on your usual schedule, I'd just ignore this "aberration."

Well that's the thing, I'm trying to stretch my washes. I was previously washing every day due to what was most likely a misdiagnosed skin condition (I believe this now after having a second opinion & having literally none of the symptoms.) Anyway, I have been washing every day with really harsh shampoos and chemicals trying to treat something j don't even have, and it really wreaked havoc on my poor scalp. I have really sensitive skin, so I'm wondering if my scalp is just as sensitive. But Im trying to skip washes and use sulfate free shampoos to give my poor scalp a break. I'm just scared at the amount that came out on wash day and hope that it is normal. Itd all quite scary for me!

Garnetgem
August 4th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Well that's the thing, I'm trying to stretch my washes. I was previously washing every day due to what was most likely a misdiagnosed skin condition (I believe this now after having a second opinion & having literally none of the symptoms.) Anyway, I have been washing every day with really harsh shampoos and chemicals trying to treat something j don't even have, and it really wreaked havoc on my poor scalp. I have really sensitive skin, so I'm wondering if my scalp is just as sensitive. But Im trying to skip washes and use sulphate free shampoos to give my poor scalp a break. I'm just scared at the amount that came out on wash day and hope that it is normal. Itd all quite scary for me!

You mention you were treated for a skin condition you did not have...then you have been using harsh things that were not meant for what you may have,this indeed happened to both my mom and myself we were prescribed so many shampoos lotions and creams..yes we were shedding that's why we got treated but they treated us for something we didn't have making us shed even more..i can relate and i feel your concern too its no fun and quite scary to experience..its the not knowing and wondering why that's the worst..it sounds like your scalp needs something much more gentle after using harsh stuff..try an unscented shampoo preferably sulphate free and stretch the washes gradually..i managed to stretch to 14 days now something i never thought i could manage after the wrong things i was prescribed..i shed less since i have done this..it took time to achieve this as i stared slowly and lost a lot to start off with but now way less sheds in the shower..other thing too using tepid water eased mine i have noticed water too hot and it increases the shedding and makes me produce more sebum..so tepid helped me stretch those washes..sorry if my answer is a little long am trying to help you even if only a little...

Jo Ann
August 4th, 2017, 09:37 PM
I'm sorry, KlutzyChy1, I wasn't aware you were healing from a bad diagnosis. Garnetgem has some excellent pointers in her post and experience on her side.

One thing I might suggest is brushing your hair before you wash it. My experience is that it's helped me cut back on the amount of my wash/condition sheds. It does take time and patience to stretch your washes, though--I've gone from washing two or three times a week to once every 7-10 days, but it took a few weeks for me to stretch it out.

Good luck!

Corvana
August 4th, 2017, 10:39 PM
I even wouldn't recommend measuring your ponytail circumference monthly (it *can* vary month to month and that might cause panic). I would recommend to do it yearly, so you get an overview.

And if it is really thinning, trust me, you'll know!

I didn't know that! Although I suppose it's logical, as I assume your rotation of shed and growing hairs isn't exactly even.

Nini
August 5th, 2017, 12:14 AM
Take a deep breath and relax:) As Lapushka says, if it's thinning you'll know.

Stay away from measuring and counting. Instead you can take a look in the mirror once in a while and assess the situation. Don't experiment with everything all at once, and remember it's all a process that will take some time. For instance finding a routine that works for your scalp.

TatsuOni
August 5th, 2017, 04:37 AM
I wash my hair every other week or less and wear it up every day. Sometimes I brush it once or twice a day and sometimes less. While I don't count sheds I can say that I get a big ball of hair every time, as all of the sheds for the last day/days are getting stuck in my brush at once.

Also, while a "normal" person looses around 100 hairs a day, some looses more and other less. I once had a friend who shedded worse than my dog and she didn't go bald and did not have thin hair.

I have to agree with others here. Don't count for a while and try to relax :flower:

Ondine11
August 5th, 2017, 05:32 AM
I understand that panicky feeling all too well. My hair is recovering from a traumatic shedding incident about a 1 1/2 yrs ago. I had severe thinning & even some balding. Mine was due to hormonal issues.

Since you're stretching shampoos, you're likely seeing hair that represents two days worth of shedding. Don't count them, & try not to panic. Check over your scalp every few months, to see if you have any areas that have thinned badly, or any bald spots. Also, watch the texture of newer, shorter hairs: are they normal, or, are they wispy, brittle or otherwise unhealthy?

Have you been under inordinate stress? How is your nutrition & your sleep patterns? These factors greatly contribute to your hair growth & shedding.

If you do have problematic thinning, it won't take you long to notice it for sure. If it turns out to be the case, go see an endocrinologist immediately, & report any symptoms. S/he will run some diagnostic tests. A dermatologist is also an important resource for you.

lapushka
August 5th, 2017, 06:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UXe9hW831c

Watch her pre-poo & detangle. What she pulls out, is about 3x the wad of hair that I lose come washday (pre-wash detangling, what comes out in my drain thingy, and post-wash (after hair comes out the towel and pre-styling). I think she weekly washes... I weekly wash too (and finger detangle throughout the week to get sheds out).

KlutzyChy1
August 5th, 2017, 07:04 AM
You mention you were treated for a skin condition you did not have...then you have been using harsh things that were not meant for what you may have,this indeed happened to both my mom and myself we were prescribed so many shampoos lotions and creams..yes we were shedding that's why we got treated but they treated us for something we didn't have making us shed even more..i can relate and i feel your concern too its no fun and quite scary to experience..its the not knowing and wondering why that's the worst..it sounds like your scalp needs something much more gentle after using harsh stuff..try an unscented shampoo preferably sulphate free and stretch the washes gradually..i managed to stretch to 14 days now something i never thought i could manage after the wrong things i was prescribed..i shed less since i have done this..it took time to achieve this as i stared slowly and lost a lot to start off with but now way less sheds in the shower..other thing too using tepid water eased mine i have noticed water too hot and it increases the shedding and makes me produce more sebum..so tepid helped me stretch those washes..sorry if my answer is a little long am trying to help you even if only a little...

Oh my goodness, I could cry. I feel like I could have written this myself. I'm so sorry you & your mom had to go through such an awful experience, but it's nice to talk to someone who's been in my shoes & understands where I'm coming from & my fear. I say that to my bf all the time. I hate not knowing. We've been doing this for the past year. It's so exhausting. All sorts of harsh lotions & shampoos. We were getting so confused because the shampoos only caused flakes and irritation and redness, never eased it or got rid of any and the harsher the shampoo, the more shedding. It's been such a nightmare. I'm trying to stretch washes now and am using a sulfate free shampoo. It's only been a week and the amount I shed on wash days is very frightening, but I'm taking baby steps and hoping it's all normal and things will settle down soon. I don't mind the long response at all, it means so much. It helps so much having people to talk to. ❤

spidermom
August 5th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Yes - 150 hairs in 2-3 days is totally normal. 100 hairs per day is within the range of normal. You're fine. Now quit stressing and turn your attention to other things.

KlutzyChy1
August 5th, 2017, 07:31 AM
I understand that panicky feeling all too well. My hair is recovering from a traumatic shedding incident about a 1 1/2 yrs ago. I had severe thinning & even some balding. Mine was due to hormonal issues.

Since you're stretching shampoos, you're likely seeing hair that represents two days worth of shedding. Don't count them, & try not to panic. Check over your scalp every few months, to see if you have any areas that have thinned badly, or any bald spots. Also, watch the texture of newer, shorter hairs: are they normal, or, are they wispy, brittle or otherwise unhealthy?

Have you been under inordinate stress? How is your nutrition & your sleep patterns? These factors greatly contribute to your hair growth & shedding.

If you do have problematic thinning, it won't take you long to notice it for sure. If it turns out to be the case, go see an endocrinologist immediately, & report any symptoms. S/he will run some diagnostic tests. A dermatologist is also an important resource for you.

I'm so sorry you had to struggle through that. Mine happened about 1&1/2 years ago as well & it's been a nightmare trying to recover due to this misdiagnosis & trying to treat something I don't have. I hope you're recovering well & that all of your hair comes back. ❤ It's just hard for me because I have no idea what's normal anymore, and now that I'm trying to stretch washes, that's a whole new journey and I don't know what to expect. I try to eat fairly healthy, make sure I take a multivitamin every day, and my sleeping is good. We've been stressed but mainly because of my hair and scalp. I just hope that the nightmare ends soon and that what I pull out is normal or will adjust as my scalp gets used to not washing.

Garnetgem
August 5th, 2017, 07:39 AM
Oh my goodness, I could cry. I feel like I could have written this myself. I'm so sorry you & your mom had to go through such an awful experience, but it's nice to talk to someone who's been in my shoes & understands where I'm coming from & my fear. I say that to my bf all the time. I hate not knowing. We've been doing this for the past year. It's so exhausting. All sorts of harsh lotions & shampoos. We were getting so confused because the shampoos only caused flakes and irritation and redness, never eased it or got rid of any and the harsher the shampoo, the more shedding. It's been such a nightmare. I'm trying to stretch washes now and am using a sulfate free shampoo. It's only been a week and the amount I shed on wash days is very frightening, but I'm taking baby steps and hoping it's all normal and things will settle down soon. I don't mind the long response at all, it means so much. It helps so much having people to talk to. ❤

Hi again sorry your going through it i understand its a nightmare and doctors are so fast to prescribe a shampoo and send us on our way..we tried so many and even went to the expense of private clinics all to no avail,we have since discovered it is caused by the environment for us so from within but giving us all the horrible symptoms we lost chunks of hair i know too how you dread to wash it as more comes out we were like that...along with flakes and irritations no matter what we washed with it to be honest got worse the more we treated it,and yes i counted the strands all the time and it made me panic but i just couldn't help checking then wished i hadn't if that makes sense..so may i ask if there was changes in the past year when it all began? you no need answer if you don't want to..i mean changes such as a house move or anything just in case its caused by the environment try to think back..in the meantime i wouldn't use any medicated harsh stuff your doing right by using sulphate free your poor scalp has had enough of the kind of thing and i hope you manage to stretch the washes..oh my post is going on a bit again..

KlutzyChy1
August 5th, 2017, 07:49 AM
I'm sorry, KlutzyChy1, I wasn't aware you were healing from a bad diagnosis. Garnetgem has some excellent pointers in her post and experience on her side.

One thing I might suggest is brushing your hair before you wash it. My experience is that it's helped me cut back on the amount of my wash/condition sheds. It does take time and patience to stretch your washes, though--I've gone from washing two or three times a week to once every 7-10 days, but it took a few weeks for me to stretch it out.

Good luck!

That's okay, you didn't know! I'll try to remember that this is going to take time. We've been doing this for long, I just want the nightmare to be over now. Hopefully it adjusts soon!

KlutzyChy1
August 5th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Hi again sorry your going through it i understand its a nightmare and doctors are so fast to prescribe a shampoo and send us on our way..we tried so many and even went to the expense of private clinics all to no avail,we have since discovered it is caused by the environment for us so from within but giving us all the horrible symptoms we lost chunks of hair i know too how you dread to wash it as more comes out we were like that...along with flakes and irritations no matter what we washed with it to be honest got worse the more we treated it,and yes i counted the strands all the time and it made me panic but i just couldn't help checking then wished i hadn't if that makes sense..so may i ask if there was changes in the past year when it all began? you no need answer if you don't want to..i mean changes such as a house move or anything just in case its caused by the environment try to think back..in the meantime i wouldn't use any medicated harsh stuff your doing right by using sulphate free your poor scalp has had enough of the kind of thing and i hope you manage to stretch the washes..oh my post is going on a bit again..

Well this whole nightmare started about a year & a half ago. I went through a severe shed that lasted 6 months due to weight loss & malnutrition. I went from 96lbs to 76lbs & could barely eat or keep anything down. I had stomach issues that didn't get diagnosed for a year. I've since then gained the weight back & eat fairly healthy & take a multivitamin every day. After the 6 months, my shed went down & I started to recover, until I got a bad (what we believe was poison ivy) rash all over my body and the doctor prescribed a steroid shot AND steroid pills to treat it. After this my period was messed up (Sorry if tmi, but I was having 2 every month that lasted 10 days each) and my hair started shedding again. Then the one derm misdiagnosed me with the scalp condition and we've been going in circles trying to treat something that was never there and creating another new issue. Before the harsh medicated shampoo, I was using harsh drugstore shampoos (Herbal Essences & Mane & Tail) for quite a while & I think those shampoos were what caused the original irritation & flaking, and all of the medicated shampoos & treatments only made it worse. I've found the only shampoos that don't seem to irritate my poor scalp are sulfate free, so we're starting with that. So, it's been very up & down and each doctor we go to (we've been to 10 or 11) is either of no help, or made things much, much worse. That's part of the reason I'm so scared & confused by it all.

KlutzyChy1
August 5th, 2017, 08:11 AM
I wash my hair every other week or less and wear it up every day. Sometimes I brush it once or twice a day and sometimes less. While I don't count sheds I can say that I get a big ball of hair every time, as all of the sheds for the last day/days are getting stuck in my brush at once.

Also, while a "normal" person looses around 100 hairs a day, some looses more and other less. I once had a friend who shedded worse than my dog and she didn't go bald and did not have thin hair.

I have to agree with others here. Don't count for a while and try to relax :flower:

I've been trying my best to not count, although the hardest part for me is not knowing. I've been having my bf come in the bathroom with me when I shower, and I've been closing my eyes & handing him my shed hairs. I make sure he keeps an eye on it, but if all goes well over the next month with stretching my washes, I'm going to do my best to not pay attention to what comes out anymore, although thats a journey all its own. Thank you :heart:

KlutzyChy1
August 5th, 2017, 08:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UXe9hW831c

Watch her pre-poo & detangle. What she pulls out, is about 3x the wad of hair that I lose come washday (pre-wash detangling, what comes out in my drain thingy, and post-wash (after hair comes out the towel and pre-styling). I think she weekly washes... I weekly wash too (and finger detangle throughout the week to get sheds out).

Wow, seeing what she pulls out does make me feel better about how much I do & her hair is so beautiful & thick too!

KlutzyChy1
August 5th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Take a deep breath and relax:) As Lapushka says, if it's thinning you'll know.

Stay away from measuring and counting. Instead you can take a look in the mirror once in a while and assess the situation. Don't experiment with everything all at once, and remember it's all a process that will take some time. For instance finding a routine that works for your scalp.

I'm doing my best in starting the journey into not obsessively counting anymore. I've been having my bf come into the bathroom with me when I shower & I close my eyes & hand him my shed hair. It's baby steps. For right now, I'm using a sulfate free shampoo as I find they are the only ones that don't irritate my poor scalp, so I'm hoping everything adjusts soon & that what I shed is normal.

lapushka
August 5th, 2017, 08:28 AM
I'm doing my best in starting the journey into not obsessively counting anymore. I've been having my bf come into the bathroom with me when I shower & I close my eyes & hand him my shed hair. It's baby steps. For right now, I'm using a sulfate free shampoo as I find they are the only ones that don't irritate my poor scalp, so I'm hoping everything adjusts soon & that what I shed is normal.

It might take a while after you've recovered to settle back into a steady rhythm, but I'm sure it's going to be fine now that you're healthy again. Don't focus too much on it, because I feel there's that tendency there. We are meant to shed, it comes with having hair. If that makes you feel better. :)

Also I meant to say, what she pulls out, I pull out 3x in a row. Not what I said, but... you know, it gets confusing sometimes, talking a different language than what you're used to. :o

Natashap
August 5th, 2017, 08:29 AM
Great Thread!

Doing daily washes is not helping my shedding.Scalp looks more oily than ever and ends feel dry to core.

Reducing washing daily to once every 3-4 days might help .Keeping notes of how scalp feels.

Hotter weather makes it more greasy.Can't wait for winter.

LizzyGrant
August 5th, 2017, 10:24 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your struggle :( I hope it is past now and everything gets better with your scalp & hair! :flowers: I went through something similar and it is now finally starting to get better. I would also agree on not counting the shed hairs. I started streching my washes this spring and summer. Lately I've been washing once a week but it has been a slow process. So take all the time your hair and scalp needs. When I wash weekly I notice maybe a little bit more shed hairs but it's nothing to worry about. Most of the time my hair is up and I only finger comb and brush it in the morning so I usually only properly shed in the washing day. Generally I feel like I actually shed less now than what I used to when I washed daily or every other day.

Garnetgem
August 5th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Well this whole nightmare started about a year & a half ago. I went through a severe shed that lasted 6 months due to weight loss & malnutrition. I went from 96lbs to 76lbs & could barely eat or keep anything down. I had stomach issues that didn't get diagnosed for a year. I've since then gained the weight back & eat fairly healthy & take a multivitamin every day. After the 6 months, my shed went down & I started to recover, until I got a bad (what we believe was poison ivy) rash all over my body and the doctor prescribed a steroid shot AND steroid pills to treat it. After this my period was messed up (Sorry if tmi, but I was having 2 every month that lasted 10 days each) and my hair started shedding again. Then the one derm misdiagnosed me with the scalp condition and we've been going in circles trying to treat something that was never there and creating another new issue. Before the harsh medicated shampoo, I was using harsh drugstore shampoos (Herbal Essences & Mane & Tail) for quite a while & I think those shampoos were what caused the original irritation & flaking, and all of the medicated shampoos & treatments only made it worse. I've found the only shampoos that don't seem to irritate my poor scalp are sulfate free, so we're starting with that. So, it's been very up & down and each doctor we go to (we've been to 10 or 11) is either of no help, or made things much, much worse. That's part of the reason I'm so scared & confused by it all.

So sorry you have been so much and not helped by by doctors either..i too had stomach issues problems digesting foods even now cannot eat some things as it comes up or makes me shed like crazy(believed to be caused by environment allergies)..when you say derm i think you mean dermatologist i too saw one of them he gave me strong salicylic acid 10% strength to apply i lost a lot of hair after that wrong diagnose so i can understand your experiences i even had a doctor prescribe anti fungal pills which made me more sick then i started out..as for Herbal essences they are so harsh i have known them to cause irritations in many people..glad your sticking with mild things as it cannot get worse with those as medicated shampoos just irritate as you have discovered..you may too have had an allergy to one of the listed ingredients in one of the shampoos used as you say it began when you were using them..but we do lose some hair as a normal part of shedding as others mention but scaling and irritation can cause more than is usual..but your scalp may take time to calm down from all the irritants that's been in it..it took me a good few weeks for shedding to slow down to almost stopping and stretched washes is the best decision i ever made as it makes for a happy scalp,it gives it time to recover its natural balance,try not to worry about the shed hairs i know its not easy but you should notice less with each passing week..i wish you the best in recovery..

radiofreejenn
August 5th, 2017, 10:56 AM
A few years ago I had an issue where I developed a sudden food allergy and it took a while to figure out why and I was sick for months and had massive sheds, but I recovered nicely after time. I would literally lose handfuls, but then again I was only washing every 3-4 days(which I still do even now). Having treatments for things or having allergies/being sick can greatly affect things and I would assume what you're losing really isn't as bad as you think. Just keep an eye on it and if it changes for the worst then maybe follow some of the great advice here!

KlutzyChy1
August 5th, 2017, 01:19 PM
So sorry you have been so much and not helped by by doctors either..i too had stomach issues problems digesting foods even now cannot eat some things as it comes up or makes me shed like crazy(believed to be caused by environment allergies)..when you say derm i think you mean dermatologist i too saw one of them he gave me strong salicylic acid 10% strength to apply i lost a lot of hair after that wrong diagnose so i can understand your experiences i even had a doctor prescribe anti fungal pills which made me more sick then i started out..as for Herbal essences they are so harsh i have known them to cause irritations in many people..glad your sticking with mild things as it cannot get worse with those as medicated shampoos just irritate as you have discovered..you may too have had an allergy to one of the listed ingredients in one of the shampoos used as you say it began when you were using them..but we do lose some hair as a normal part of shedding as others mention but scaling and irritation can cause more than is usual..but your scalp may take time to calm down from all the irritants that's been in it..it took me a good few weeks for shedding to slow down to almost stopping and stretched washes is the best decision i ever made as it makes for a happy scalp,it gives it time to recover its natural balance,try not to worry about the shed hairs i know its not easy but you should notice less with each passing week..i wish you the best in recovery..

For me, most of the doctors I went to were so quick to dismiss everything as stress or have the audacity to tell me it wasn't happening. I was 76lbs and they couldn't figure out why I was losing my hair. Seriously? I had to do so much of my own research to try & recover. The dermatologist I went to prescribed a harsh shampoo & when I told him it was irritating my scalp he prescribed a steroid lotion? How is that more gentle. Thankfully I never used that. The same dermatologist (who told me my hair was falling out just because it does that sometimes) also prescribed me blood thinners. He said it 'could help'. How? & He also told me I would have to have my potassium levels checked every 2 weeks when taking them. Not to mention I'm anemic. I can't see how a blood thinner would help me but I could see how it could make it much worse! Thank you so much for being so kind. I'm going to do my best to remind myself that it's going to take time for my scalp to adjust and recover & hopefully soon this nightmare will be over. It has taken over my entire life for so long.

KlutzyChy1
August 5th, 2017, 01:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your struggle :( I hope it is past now and everything gets better with your scalp & hair! :flowers: I went through something similar and it is now finally starting to get better. I would also agree on not counting the shed hairs. I started streching my washes this spring and summer. Lately I've been washing once a week but it has been a slow process. So take all the time your hair and scalp needs. When I wash weekly I notice maybe a little bit more shed hairs but it's nothing to worry about. Most of the time my hair is up and I only finger comb and brush it in the morning so I usually only properly shed in the washing day. Generally I feel like I actually shed less now than what I used to when I washed daily or every other day.

Thank you. ❤ I hope that being more gentle is the solution to this & that it will let my hair& scalp recover. I'm skipping 2 wash days atm but am unsure of whether I should just start with one. I try to leave my hair alone to air dry and then put it up for the night. I've been rinsing on non wash days to so I hope that helps in the adjusting process. I'm sorry you had to go through your own hair struggles but am happy to hear that you're finally recovering. This has been a nightmare for me and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

KlutzyChy1
August 5th, 2017, 01:37 PM
A few years ago I had an issue where I developed a sudden food allergy and it took a while to figure out why and I was sick for months and had massive sheds, but I recovered nicely after time. I would literally lose handfuls, but then again I was only washing every 3-4 days(which I still do even now). Having treatments for things or having allergies/being sick can greatly affect things and I would assume what you're losing really isn't as bad as you think. Just keep an eye on it and if it changes for the worst then maybe follow some of the great advice here!

I'm so sorry to hear about your health & hair struggles. I'm glad that you've fully recovered though ❤ Going through this nightmare of health and hair problems has been one of the most exhausting, traumatic things I've ever been through. Having doctors who only dismissed me or misdiagnosed me or prescribed me unnecessary, harsh treatments only made the whole ordeal much worse. My plan is to try to be as gentle to my poor scalp as possible to give it time to recover. The amount shed on wash days is scary but I'm hoping that if a month or so goes by and I see no changes in my ponytail and that if my scalp gets better, I can start to put this mess behind me.

Garnetgem
August 5th, 2017, 03:13 PM
For me, most of the doctors I went to were so quick to dismiss everything as stress or have the audacity to tell me it wasn't happening. I was 76lbs and they couldn't figure out why I was losing my hair. Seriously? I had to do so much of my own research to try & recover. The dermatologist I went to prescribed a harsh shampoo & when I told him it was irritating my scalp he prescribed a steroid lotion? How is that more gentle. Thankfully I never used that. The same dermatologist (who told me my hair was falling out just because it does that sometimes) also prescribed me blood thinners. He said it 'could help'. How? & He also told me I would have to have my potassium levels checked every 2 weeks when taking them. Not to mention I'm anemic. I can't see how a blood thinner would help me but I could see how it could make it much worse! Thank you so much for being so kind. I'm going to do my best to remind myself that it's going to take time for my scalp to adjust and recover & hopefully soon this nightmare will be over. It has taken over my entire life for so long.

Gosh the things the doctors have done and said it doesn't make sense..i wish you recovery and send (((Healing hugs)))

Liminally
August 10th, 2017, 07:45 AM
To echo what everyone else has said - I know it's difficult but try not to focus too much on the shedded hairs.

I've had several times where due to weight loss through not the healthiest of methods/stress I've started shedding extreme amounts of hair. Each time, believe me, I freaked out on a massive scale. My freaking out caused more stress and, I believe, made everything worse overall. To this day if I see I've shed more in the shower than normal (I'm a weekly washer) I'll start to get nervous, but I try not to focus on it. Every time I've gone through a serious shed I've eventually come around to trying not to focus on it and only then (and with the reduction of stress/addition of vitamins/better eating habits) did it seem to taper off and stop.

I'm sorry this is rambling, I'm trying to convey (and failing at it) that I know it's scary and I know it's hard, but focusing on it will only cause you more distress. Like others have said in this thread - if it's actually starting to thin you will know. I reached that point a couple of times, and even then - it's not the end of the world. While it means my hair isn't overall one length, it did eventually start to right itself on that front as well.

KlutzyChy1
August 10th, 2017, 08:33 AM
To echo what everyone else has said - I know it's difficult but try not to focus too much on the shedded hairs.

I've had several times where due to weight loss through not the healthiest of methods/stress I've started shedding extreme amounts of hair. Each time, believe me, I freaked out on a massive scale. My freaking out caused more stress and, I believe, made everything worse overall. To this day if I see I've shed more in the shower than normal (I'm a weekly washer) I'll start to get nervous, but I try not to focus on it. Every time I've gone through a serious shed I've eventually come around to trying not to focus on it and only then (and with the reduction of stress/addition of vitamins/better eating habits) did it seem to taper off and stop.

I'm sorry this is rambling, I'm trying to convey (and failing at it) that I know it's scary and I know it's hard, but focusing on it will only cause you more distress. Like others have said in this thread - if it's actually starting to thin you will know. I reached that point a couple of times, and even then - it's not the end of the world. While it means my hair isn't overall one length, it did eventually start to right itself on that front as well.

Right now, I'm making baby steps towards not counting my shed hairs anymore. I've been struggling with my hair for about 2 years now, so it's a very hard, unhealthy habit to break. I've been waiting until my boyfriend gets home & I have him come in the bathroom with me when I shower, & I close my eyes & hand him my shed hairs. I'm hoping that being gentle & stretching my washes is the answer that we have been looking for and the hope is that in a month or two, if all is okay with my scalp & my ponytail, I can see that what we're doing is really okay and I can work towards the long journey of slowly stopping counting and worrying altogether. My first episode of hair loss was also due to unhealthy weight loss, and then I spent a good year trying to treat a skin condition that i dont have that was misdiagnosed with all sorts of harsh chemicals & shampoos. I have very sensitive skin and believe it is the same for my scalp, so right now I'm trying to be very gentle and give my scalp a break. It seems like this is the right thing to do, and I really do hope so, so that soon I can finally put this nightmare behind me.

lapushka
August 10th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Right now, I'm making baby steps towards not counting my shed hairs anymore. I've been struggling with my hair for about 2 years now, so it's a very hard, unhealthy habit to break. I've been waiting until my boyfriend gets home & I have him come in the bathroom with me when I shower, & I close my eyes & hand him my shed hairs. I'm hoping that being gentle & stretching my washes is the answer that we have been looking for and the hope is that in a month or two, if all is okay with my scalp & my ponytail, I can see that what we're doing is really okay and I can work towards the long journey of slowly stopping counting and worrying altogether. My first episode of hair loss was also due to unhealthy weight loss, and then I spent a good year trying to treat a skin condition that i dont have that was misdiagnosed with all sorts of harsh chemicals & shampoos. I have very sensitive skin and believe it is the same for my scalp, so right now I'm trying to be very gentle and give my scalp a break. It seems like this is the right thing to do, and I really do hope so, so that soon I can finally put this nightmare behind me.

That sounds really positive. I hope it starts to go well from you from this point out. Good luck! :flower: :D

Dendra
August 10th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Like others have said in this thread - if it's actually starting to thin you will know. I reached that point a couple of times, and even then - it's not the end of the world. While it means my hair isn't overall one length, it did eventually start to right itself on that front as well.

Exactly. It's so scary and horrifying when you're losing a lot of hair, but even if it gets to the point where your hair thins, it won't be that bad. The shedding stage is the most panicky, but once its stopped it's comparatively easy to come to terms with your thinner hair.

KlutzyChy1
August 10th, 2017, 05:31 PM
I had another question about stretching washes, I seem to have a lot of sebum that comes up off of my scalp. My hair doesn't get greasy and it's not flakes, it's more like these little tiny, white, hard balls of sebum. Is this normal when first stretching washes & is there something I can do to help alleviate this? Is there something I can do on non wash days to help the transition process?

Dark40
August 10th, 2017, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I've also noticed or have learned that if I skip wash days my hair starts to shed more too. Sometimes if I have to go 2 or 3 days without washing I will shed. But if I was regularly washing every single day I wouldn't shed at all.

leayellena
August 11th, 2017, 01:26 AM
I belong here :D
yes, I shed a lot on wash day, but it is not concerning because I normally should shed some strands on off-wash days. I donīt shed like maybe 10 strands max on off-wash days. itīs happens because we should shed 40-50 strands every day, no matter what. we actually shed that much but we donīt notice it because our hair is always in a braid or bun. I was horrified at how much I shed when my hair reached waist. I didnīt realise the comb "helped" that shedding. oh and by that time I didnīt use even a regular conditioner. oops! now I know I donīt shed that much, itīs normal because the strands look curly... I mean a curled clump, but if you straighten than clump, youīll see itīs not so many strands Iīve shed. oh and I shed a bit more than "normal" because I donīt wash my hair every day or every 2 days. I am more a weekly wahser or at least I wash my hair twice a week when it clearly needs a wash. I want to change my routine and stop combing my hair so much. maybe 2 times a day is too much for wavy hair? I try to finger comb my hair but I hate when my hair looks curly (aka messy for me, sorry) haha