PDA

View Full Version : The V shape hemline.

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 4th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Anyone here have a natural v shape hemline? Or is that considered fairytaling?

I have it, and honestly I hate it. I am hoping that once I start to monthly trim next year it will start to fade away.
But the V line bothers me, and I am wondering if theres anyone else here whos hair always seems to remain this shape regardless of trims?

Sorry for the blurry/frizz, it was windy out.

https://s2.postimg.org/ejbwqlbc9/august_2017.jpg

Ophidian
August 4th, 2017, 03:57 PM
I really like your hemline

spidermom
August 4th, 2017, 04:06 PM
I don't have it, but I've seen it in a lot of uncut hair.

*Wednesday*
August 4th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Trim that little point off to soften the V just a bit. If it bothers you that much?

lucid
August 4th, 2017, 04:15 PM
I think it looks great on you! My hair also grows this way, just more of a U. The sides grow slower than the back.

diddiedaisy
August 4th, 2017, 04:17 PM
I like it too, it looks like it's been cut that way. Your hair obviously grows faster down the middle. I have the opposite in that a large chunk of my middle grows slower.

You would just have to keep micro trimming until the rest caught up, but I personally love a v shape on wavy/curly hair. :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 4th, 2017, 04:40 PM
I like it too, it looks like it's been cut that way. Your hair obviously grows faster down the middle. I have the opposite in that a large chunk of my middle grows slower.

You would just have to keep micro trimming until the rest caught up, but I personally love a v shape on wavy/curly hair. :)

I just wish I knew why. I hate the sides because they grow so slow, break off the most, and are the driest and most tangled. Takes twice as long to grow them as the rest of my hair. So annoying!
I'm just glad it doesn't look too terrible to you guys. I was afraid this was the shape of damage.

Cherriezzzzz
August 4th, 2017, 04:45 PM
So was your hair cut straight across then it grew out into the v shape? It looks cut like that to me also. As if you grew out a face frame? Cause the sides would go from face framing layers to a long haired person's side hair! Any before pics? I love your hair... looks good! If that's how out grows out into a perfect v shape, you're pretty lucky! It's awesome! Celebrate your hairs unique beauty!

Lady Stardust
August 4th, 2017, 04:52 PM
My hairdresser always asks how much I want to have trimmed off the back, and how much from the front, because the back grows faster. This was the case even when I was getting trims every 6 weeks, I'd have just the ends dusted at the front but quarter of an inch off the back, to keep the bob level.

So, if I stopped trimming, my hair would take on the same shape as yours, I don't think it's anything to do with damage, just down to the rate different areas grow at. My hair is straight and fine though and I prefer a blunt hemline for myself. Yours looks lovely with a V hemline because you have such pretty waves :-)

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 4th, 2017, 04:56 PM
So was your hair cut straight across then it grew out into the v shape? It looks cut like that to me also. As if you grew out a face frame? Cause the sides would go from face framing layers to a long haired person's side hair! Any before pics? I love your hair... looks good! If that's how out grows out into a perfect v shape, you're pretty lucky! It's awesome! Celebrate your hairs unique beauty!

Yes I've cut mine straight across about 3 times in the last year or so, and it doesn't seem to want to go alway! I'm not really sure how to tell you what my former cut was as I've been growing from pixie. I do have bangs now though. Sometimes I trim the face framing hair a lot more because they break the easiest and have the most dots. So maybe that's why they're so slow too. They get more trimming.

Dendra
August 4th, 2017, 05:09 PM
I think it looks really pretty! V hemlines always strike me as very feminine.

I have a sharp V at the moment because I cut it that way as, like you, most of my damage was in the side parts. Naturally I have a blunt hemline.

Wildcat Diva
August 4th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Me. I honestly don't really know how I ended up like this. I think I kept pulling hair over each shoulder and trimming a tiny bit the last two years. I noticed it (like it kinda snuck up on me) and was like, 'oh, so somehow THIS happened.'
http://imageshack.us/a/img924/7703/ilIFGL.jpg

Dendra
August 4th, 2017, 05:37 PM
I noticed it (like it kinda snuck up on me) and was like, 'oh, so somehow THIS happened.'

Haha :D

Still looks nice though!

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 4th, 2017, 08:14 PM
Me. I honestly don't really know how I ended up like this. I think I kept pulling hair over each shoulder and trimming a tiny bit the last two years. I noticed it (like it kinda snuck up on me) and was like, 'oh, so somehow THIS happened.'
http://imageshack.us/a/img924/7703/ilIFGL.jpg

I do that same thing. I wonder if the side bits get damaged from me putting my hair off to the side.

Borgessa
August 4th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Just gonna butt in to say.. I think your hair is GORGEOUS.. and I have serious hair envy for you and NOW Wild Cat Diva. Absolutely beautiful both of you :)

draysmir
August 4th, 2017, 09:22 PM
My hair fairytales with a straight hemline if that's what I cut it to before not trimming it for a long time, yours could be a v-hemline because your sides grow slower? I think once you start microtrimming regularly then your hemline will get thicker (and maybe less of a V-shape), my hair can definitely start fairytaling at MBL but since I've been trimming more regularly I'm almost hip and my hemline still hasn't started to fairytale. Personally, I really like your hemline and I don't think you need to worry about it or change it, but if you want to trim more I think it will look nice too :)

Wildcat Diva
August 4th, 2017, 09:59 PM
Thank you Dendra and Borgessa!

cjk
August 4th, 2017, 10:14 PM
My beard takes on a natural V shape, just like this. The longer it gets the more pronounced it becomes, regardless of trimming.

Now you've got me curious about whether my hair will do the same as it grows out.

ReadingRenee
August 4th, 2017, 11:01 PM
Beautiful hair and hemlines Rebeccalauren and Wildcat Diva. You are making me rethink trimming my hair into a blunt shape and just continuing to let it grow. I love how both your hair looks, so pretty.

leayellena
August 5th, 2017, 12:25 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27824&d=1499254784
I donīt like the v-shape on me at this length. itīs an unatural hair growth from layered haircut. I think I like a v-shape to mark hairīs terminal length. (just saying)

Dendra
August 5th, 2017, 02:53 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27824&d=1499254784
I donīt like the v-shape on me at this length. itīs an unatural hair growth from layered haircut. I think I like a v-shape to mark hairīs terminal length. (just saying)

V-shaped to mark terminal is an interesting idea, I like that.

Borgessa
August 5th, 2017, 03:19 AM
V-shaped to mark terminal is an interesting idea, I like that.
I hope not. I got v shape at bsl.. want to grow longer

Arctic
August 5th, 2017, 04:16 AM
I have always been a big fan of V-shaped hems! :waving: [I don't think v-shape is automatically fairytailing, and fairytailing isn't automatically V-shaped. Your hem does seem to have some fairytailing going on though.]

TBH I'm not really sure In understand the equation: hating the v and wanting to trim it off, but joining the not trimming challenge. If you want to get rid of X number of inches from your hem (and/or changing the shape), the no trimming will only make you miserable. Why lose the time and not work on making your hemline better now, it's not like the no trimming will change it towards the way you would prefer.

lapushka
August 5th, 2017, 06:31 AM
It's a mild V, so I wouldn't worry so much about it, and it's not fairytaling much either, it's nice and thick! So don't worry so much. :o

I cut a V deliberately (compact cut), it automatically goes that way (which is why only my longest strand(s) have reached TB stretched). Maybe think it's deliberate and call it a day? ;)

FWIW, I think your hair is gorgeous! :D

-Fern
August 5th, 2017, 07:34 AM
I have an intentionally V-shaped hemline, and I love it. =D I think it gives a softer look when you wear hair down, and it makes buns hold better.

Sorry in advance if this is gargantuan, I'm on my phone:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28351&d=1501940233

MoonRabbit
August 5th, 2017, 08:49 AM
I just love seeing your hair photos Fern :o

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 5th, 2017, 08:54 AM
I have always been a big fan of V-shaped hems! :waving: [I don't think v-shape is automatically fairytailing, and fairytailing isn't automatically V-shaped. Your hem does seem to have some fairytailing going on though.]

TBH I'm not really sure In understand the equation: hating the v and wanting to trim it off, but joining the not trimming challenge. If you want to get rid of X number of inches from your hem (and/or changing the shape), the no trimming will only make you miserable. Why lose the time and not work on making your hemline better now, it's not like the no trimming will change it towards the way you would prefer.

Because my hair grows, kind of slow, and I want to gain length and then maintain later at a longer length. I hate it, but not enough that I would want to lose more inches. After micro trimming last year, I know it would take me several years to get rid of my hemline. Rather do it at a longer length.

Wavybrunetteuk
August 5th, 2017, 09:27 AM
I have an intentionally V-shaped hemline, and I love it. =D I think it gives a softer look when you wear hair down, and it makes buns hold better.

Sorry in advance if this is gargantuan, I'm on my phone:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28351&d=1501940233

That's a beautiful photo! And a beautiful example of a beautiful V hem!

-Fern
August 5th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Thank you, MoonRabbit & Wavybrunette. :o

-Fern
August 5th, 2017, 11:37 PM
I just wish I knew why. I hate the sides because they grow so slow, break off the most, and are the driest and most tangled. Takes twice as long to grow them as the rest of my hair. So annoying!
I'm just glad it doesn't look too terrible to you guys. I was afraid this was the shape of damage.

One possibility that comes to mind is that it could be related to how you brush your hair. If you brush to the right and left of your face and neck, it is natural for the sides to get more damage than the hair that falls straight down the back.

But I agree with others that a V-shaped hemline looks nice on you, not bad. :blossom:

Cherriezzzzz
August 6th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Yes fairy tales are thinning of the ends either v or straight across from what I can tell on LHC. Ladies yalls hair...

SWOON

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 6th, 2017, 02:40 PM
One possibility that comes to mind is that it could be related to how you brush your hair. If you brush to the right and left of your face and neck, it is natural for the sides to get more damage than the hair that falls straight down the back.

But I agree with others that a V-shaped hemline looks nice on you, not bad. :blossom:
I don't brush, I finger detangle only... *shrug*

Andthetalltrees
August 6th, 2017, 03:21 PM
I love your hemline! My hair naturally grows in a pretty deep V and I love it! I don't think it's damaged I think it's just how my hair grows because back when I was getting regular trims I fought it growing back into a V despite being cut fairly blunt. I don't know if it's even 'fairytaling' because my ends are thinner yes, but not like how people usually call fairytale ends. So in short my hair wants to be a V and I've grown to love it :o

longmane
August 6th, 2017, 06:22 PM
just wanted to say.. your waves are beautiful

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 7th, 2017, 06:37 PM
just wanted to say.. your waves are beautiful

Aw thanks!!