PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who wash every other day or every 2 days

KlutzyChy1
August 4th, 2017, 07:58 AM
How much hair do you find you lose on a wash day or in the shower on a wash day? I'm trying to stretch my washes & would like to get a feel for what is normal.

lapushka
August 4th, 2017, 08:11 AM
I have about a handful pre-wash when detangling, a handful during the wash (drain catcher), and a handful after a wash (detangling post wash). This is after a week. And I do finger detangle Tuesday through Saturday to get more sheds out!

As long as your hair is not thinning (has it ever?) then I'd not start worrying all of a sudden.

Has anything in your routine changed?

KlutzyChy1
August 4th, 2017, 08:25 AM
I did go through a severe episode of hair loss for about 6 months a year & a half ago due to malnutrition & weight loss. I also got diagnosed by a derm. with SD but have none of the symptoms & every otc medicated shampoo I've tried has really irritated my scalp & caused either shedding or itchiness, or flakes. (&I've also tried Nizoral 2% every day for 2& a half months with no success either).Mind you this derm looked at one section of my scalp for all of about 2 seconds. This is the same one who said my hair was falling out 'because it just does that sometimes'. Anyway, I got a second opinion the other day and this derm doesn't think I have any scalp condition but that it was the really harsh shampoos I was using every day causing my scalp issues. My face is also extremely sensitive and I have to be super careful what products I use otherwise it will get red & burn/sting or if I'm around smoke or something I get a pimple like reaction so I'm wondering if its similar with my scalp. I'm trying to stretch washes to give my poor scalp a break and to be more gentle, I'd just like an idea of what to expect so I can prepare myself and know what's normal.

unheardletters
August 4th, 2017, 08:50 AM
For the first few months of stretching washes I lost a ton of hair, or it felt like it was a lot because it was more than normal, but now I lose about 10-30 hairs during washes. I wash my hair irregularly now. Sometimes every few days sometimes not for a week or more.

Aredhel
August 4th, 2017, 08:58 AM
I wash my hair weekly so I lose a lot of hair in the shower. A big handful...but it's a week worth of shed hair that I wasn't able to brush out/detangle from my hair throughout the week.

lapushka
August 4th, 2017, 09:15 AM
I did go through a severe episode of hair loss for about 6 months a year & a half ago due to malnutrition & weight loss. I also got diagnosed by a derm. with SD but have none of the symptoms & every otc medicated shampoo I've tried has really irritated my scalp & caused either shedding or itchiness, or flakes. (&I've also tried Nizoral 2% every day for 2& a half months with no success either).Mind you this derm looked at one section of my scalp for all of about 2 seconds. This is the same one who said my hair was falling out 'because it just does that sometimes'. Anyway, I got a second opinion the other day and this derm doesn't think I have any scalp condition but that it was the really harsh shampoos I was using every day causing my scalp issues. My face is also extremely sensitive and I have to be super careful what products I use otherwise it will get red & burn/sting or if I'm around smoke or something I get a pimple like reaction so I'm wondering if its similar with my scalp. I'm trying to stretch washes to give my poor scalp a break and to be more gentle, I'd just like an idea of what to expect so I can prepare myself and know what's normal.

You poor thing! :( Hair can definitely fall out and thin due to malnutrition. If that's resolved it might still take up to a year to regain your thickness (it needs to grow back out of the scalp). I was there once, bordering on anorexia, and recovered thankfully, but after 6 months of struggling (and 3 months of not getting my period due to all of this), I had to wait a year to get my thickness back, at least.

Maybe it is not SD, but something different. This last dermatologist looks like someone to stick with, so keep going back until it's resolved. Meanwhile you could perhaps try diluting your shampoo or try a sulfate-free one, if you haven't already.

KlutzyChy1
August 4th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Thank you guys so much for responding❤. I'll try not to freak out if I pull out what seems like a lot!

KlutzyChy1
August 4th, 2017, 09:21 AM
You poor thing! :(

Maybe it is not SD, but something different. This last dermatologist looks like someone to stick with, so keep going back until it's resolved. Meanwhile you could perhaps try diluting your shampoo or try a sulfate-free one, if you haven't already.

Its been rough! My bf & I were thinking that it might not be SD for quite a while, but weren't sure if we were just trying to be optimistic. The second opinion is really making us believe it isn't what I have. I have actually been using a sulfate free shampoo the past week and have used one other one in the past and they are the only ones that don't irritate my scalp so I'm really hoping that that is what the issue was. I read on another post how awful certain shampoos (like Herbal Essences & Mane& Tail can be for some people) and those were the two shampoos I was using before my scalp became super irritated and flakey.

KlutzyChy1
August 4th, 2017, 04:54 PM
So I skipped 2 wash days and washed today, and pulled out 150 hairs. Is this too much?

Corvana
August 4th, 2017, 05:09 PM
So I skipped 2 wash days and washed today, and pulled out 150 hairs. Is this too much?

Don't count them! It can lead to an obsession, which can lead to stress, which can lead to more shedding. It seems fine to me. If it's been a couple days, remember that you're probably getting out a couple days' worth of sheds, or at least part of them. I personally shed maybe half as much between washes, and then the rest comes out in the shower. Of course, that's where I detangle because I do it while slathered in conditioner lol.

Measure your pony circ, like... maybe once a month for a couple months. If it's the same, then you're fine.

If it looks like "extra", before you panic look at the hairs themselves. I've noticed that when I think it's "more" sheds, the hairs are just longer so they look like more.

KlutzyChy1
August 4th, 2017, 05:14 PM
I rinsed the 2 days I didn't wash and lost 20 hairs the first day and 30 the second day. I'm trying not to count but I have no idea what's normal and that seems like so much. It's been such a roller coaster with my hair the past year and a half, I'm just really trying to get a feel for what's normal. I've gotten into the bad obsession of counting but need to make sure what I pull out is okay before I try and stop.

Corvana
August 4th, 2017, 05:16 PM
I rinsed the 2 days I didn't wash and lost 20 hairs the first day and 30 the second day. I'm trying not to count but I have no idea what's normal and that seems like so much. It's been such a roller coaster with my hair the past year and a half, I'm just really trying to get a feel for what's normal. I've gotten into the bad obsession of counting but need to make sure what I pull out is okay before I try and stop.

Take a deep breath!

Counting really won't help, I can tell you that. And a "normal amount" varies from person to person, but the average daily amount of hair to be shed is 100 hairs. So if it's less than that, take a breath and tell yourself that it's fine.

ETA: That's per day, so if you're stretching washes, remember that there's likely multiple days worth of sheds in your hair. Or at least half a day's worth. That's just how it goes, so don't worry when it's more than 100 either. Think to yourself "when did I last wash?" and then divide the shed by that many days. And if you can avoid counting it, just take it and split it into a few sections for however many days worth, if you need to still see it to calm your anxiety about it.

ETA2: Alternately, keep in your mind that 100/day is normal, and when you wash multiply that by however many days it's been. So for me that 7 days, so if my shed is under 700 it's fine. It's always under 700 lol. I do still shed during the week, and I shed more when it's closer to wash day. But it's still about 700 in total, I estimate.

lapushka
August 4th, 2017, 05:33 PM

Is the underlying issue (the malnutrition, for whatever reason, I don't want to pry), resolved yet?

KlutzyChy1
August 4th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Is the underlying issue (the malnutrition, for whatever reason, I don't want to pry), resolved yet?

Yes. That's alright, I had severe stomach issues for a good year that went undiagnosed and could barely eat or keep food down. But I've since then gained all the weight back, eat as healthy as I can afford to lol, and take a multivitamin daily. But it's been such a roller coaster and with me also trying to treat a skin condition for a year with all sorts of harsh shampoos and chemicals (that I'm pretty sure now was a misdiagnosis after a 2ND opinion and just because I have no symptoms of it) I'm so lost as to what is normal because it's been such a roller coaster for such a long time.

KlutzyChy1
August 4th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Take a deep breath!

Counting really won't help, I can tell you that. And a "normal amount" varies from person to person, but the average daily amount of hair to be shed is 100 hairs. So if it's less than that, take a breath and tell yourself that it's fine.

ETA: That's per day, so if you're stretching washes, remember that there's likely multiple days worth of sheds in your hair. Or at least half a day's worth. That's just how it goes, so don't worry when it's more than 100 either. Think to yourself "when did I last wash?" and then divide the shed by that many days. And if you can avoid counting it, just take it and split it into a few sections for however many days worth, if you need to still see it to calm your anxiety about it.

ETA2: Alternately, keep in your mind that 100/day is normal, and when you wash multiply that by however many days it's been. So for me that 7 days, so if my shed is under 700 it's fine. It's always under 700 lol. I do still shed during the week, and I shed more when it's closer to wash day. But it's still about 700 in total, I estimate.

When you explain it that way, it does make me feel better. I added up the 2 non wash days and the wash day and divided it by 3, and it came out to about 66 hairs a day. I don't mean to panic so much. It's just been such a long mess of a journey for me. Thank you guys for being so patient with me❤

yahirwaO.o
August 4th, 2017, 10:22 PM
Oh yes never count them, I used to be one of those anxious people who did it and really became an obsssesion.

I know that leaving my hair unwashed for more than 2 days it does shed more. So everyother day or everyday fits my scalps. I barely shed when I do it like this!

lapushka
August 5th, 2017, 07:27 AM
Yes. That's alright, I had severe stomach issues for a good year that went undiagnosed and could barely eat or keep food down. But I've since then gained all the weight back, eat as healthy as I can afford to lol, and take a multivitamin daily. But it's been such a roller coaster and with me also trying to treat a skin condition for a year with all sorts of harsh shampoos and chemicals (that I'm pretty sure now was a misdiagnosis after a 2ND opinion and just because I have no symptoms of it) I'm so lost as to what is normal because it's been such a roller coaster for such a long time.

Oh that's good to hear. I'm so sorry about the stomach issues, and such a shame it went undiagnosed (in this day and age).

Just don't panic, whatever happens. I lose handfuls of hair, as long as it doesn't thin (you can feel that at the nape), then it's fine.

KlutzyChy1
August 5th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Oh yes never count them, I used to be one of those anxious people who did it and really became an obsssesion.

I know that leaving my hair unwashed for more than 2 days it does shed more. So everyother day or everyday fits my scalps. I barely shed when I do it like this!

Oh yes, it's become such a bad, obsessive habit of mine. I'm slowly trying to stop counting. I've been having my bf come in the bathroom with me when I shower & closing my eyes & handing him my shed hairs. I might try washing every other day to start then. Perhaps it would be a bit easier on me mentally if I very, very gradually did this. I think every day is too much as my poor scalp needs a break from all the harsh shampoos & chemicals, but maybe every other day with a sulfate free shampoo would be a good place to start.