PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal to shed 20 hairs in the morning

ninjarambohd
August 4th, 2017, 03:55 AM
Hello everyone. Apology for another thread. I didn't really pay much attention before but latelt I have and when I wake up in the mornings on the second day of not showering I have at least 20 strands of hair on my pillow. My pillowcase is cotton by the way.

Is this normal? Thank you again.

lapushka
August 4th, 2017, 04:22 AM
Totally normal, especially if you don't brush before bed! You can shed up to 100 hairs a day.

But if I were you, and I say this kindly :flower:, I wouldn't focus so much on counting the hairs you lose. Or you'll be in for some trouble along the way. The longer the hair is going to become, the more it is going to appear you shed a lot.

ninjarambohd
August 4th, 2017, 04:32 AM
Totally normal, especially if you don't brush before bed! You can shed up to 100 hairs a day.

But if I were you, and I say this kindly :flower:, I wouldn't focus so much on counting the hairs you lose. Or you'll be in for some trouble along the way. The longer the hair is going to become, the more it is going to appear you shed a lot.

Thank you so much for being so patient and kind towards me as always. I highly appreciate your response, it has put my mind at ease.

Garnetgem
August 4th, 2017, 04:58 AM
I would say normal and i too am the same...for two days after showering i tend to lose quite a few strands more than seems usual..i used to count them but it got depressing so i stopped i now just gather them to throw out..i too am on a cotton pillowcase,we can lose up to a 100 a day so around 20 is very little..hope i help to put you at ease i know its a worry to lose any but its normal to lose some.

ninjarambohd
August 4th, 2017, 05:09 AM
I would say normal and i too am the same...for two days after showering i tend to lose quite a few strands more than seems usual..i used to count them but it got depressing so i stopped i now just gather them to throw out..i too am on a cotton pillowcase,we can lose up to a 100 a day so around 20 is very little..hope i help to put you at ease i know its a worry to lose any but its normal to lose some.

Thank you so much! You really helped a lot and put my mind at ease.

lapushka
August 4th, 2017, 06:05 AM
Relax a little more, while you grow your hair out, ninjarambohd, or it's going to be a tougher journey than you expected. Enjoy the journey as best as you can. :flower:

And if you have worries, you can always ask! Better to ask than to fret or take it out on your hair, worst case scenario!

Happy growing!!!

NightSister
August 4th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Thanks for posting ninjarambohd - I was worrying over something similar. The responses help me feel better too. :)

lapushka
August 4th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Thanks for posting ninjarambohd - I was worrying over something similar. The responses help me feel better too. :)

What were you worrying about, precisely? :) Or, would you rather not say? :)

ninjarambohd
August 4th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Relax a little more, while you grow your hair out, ninjarambohd, or it's going to be a tougher journey than you expected. Enjoy the journey as best as you can. :flower:

And if you have worries, you can always ask! Better to ask than to fret or take it out on your hair, worst case scenario!

Happy growing!!!

Thank you so much! Will definitely do!

NightSister
August 4th, 2017, 09:17 AM
What were you worrying about, precisely? :) Or, would you rather not say? :)

I worry about shed hairs after washing :/ I don't really noticeably shed much otherwise, so I dread wash days...

bparnell75
August 4th, 2017, 09:57 AM
I know all of the responses are meant to be comforting, but One wonders how 365 days a year X 100 daily leaves us any thing to work with. My hair is feeling very thin again. pony the size of my ring finger. If it was not TBL I would have tinsy buns.

animetor7
August 4th, 2017, 12:22 PM
I know all of the responses are meant to be comforting, but One wonders how 365 days a year X 100 daily leaves us any thing to work with. My hair is feeling very thin again. pony the size of my ring finger. If it was not TBL I would have tinsy buns.

So I was curious and looked some things up. So the average shed rate Lapushka mentioned is 100 hairs a day, I double checked just to be sure, and it's accurate. If you multiply that by 365 you shed approximately 36,500 hairs in a year. However, growth and loss rates (barring circumstances such as poor nutrition, illness, stress, or aging) are approximately equal, so each year you also get about 36,500 new hairs growing in to maintain an approximate hair density of 100,000 hairs on the human head.

lapushka
August 5th, 2017, 03:32 AM
I worry about shed hairs after washing :/ I don't really noticeably shed much otherwise, so I dread wash days...

If it's any consolation, it's normal to shed more when you wash. That is something that everyone (well, most of us) go through. The key is to detangle well before a wash, have a drain catcher thingie in your bath/shower (because more will come out with manipulating it while you shampoo and condition), and to go through it once more after it comes out of its towel. That's how I do it for my texture and it works well. But pre-wash is a very important step.

NightSister
August 7th, 2017, 06:59 AM
If it's any consolation, it's normal to shed more when you wash. That is something that everyone (well, most of us) go through. The key is to detangle well before a wash, have a drain catcher thingie in your bath/shower (because more will come out with manipulating it while you shampoo and condition), and to go through it once more after it comes out of its towel. That's how I do it for my texture and it works well. But pre-wash is a very important step.

lapushka, thank you! I thought perhaps my hair was too weak to withstand washings, so some such thing. I will pay more attention to my pre-shampoo detangling - and the drain catcher is a good idea...though maybe more for DH than myself :X lol!

Dendra
August 7th, 2017, 07:07 AM
So I was curious and looked some things up. So the average shed rate Lapushka mentioned is 100 hairs a day, I double checked just to be sure, and it's accurate. If you multiply that by 365 you shed approximately 36,500 hairs in a year. However, growth and loss rates (barring circumstances such as poor nutrition, illness, stress, or aging) are approximately equal, so each year you also get about 36,500 new hairs growing in to maintain an approximate hair density of 100,000 hairs on the human head.

That's interesting, thank you animetor.

I'm also going to put in the effort to thoroughly detangle before shampooing from now on.

lapushka
August 7th, 2017, 07:21 AM
That's interesting, thank you animetor.

I'm also going to put in the effort to thoroughly detangle before shampooing from now on.

It saves your drain, for sure. Really important with long hair, I find. We pour solution down the drain about once or twice a year, and we do use a hair catcher thingy, but sometimes it doesn't catch it all. And also soap scum and... well, you get the picture. ;)

Dendra
August 7th, 2017, 07:23 AM
It saves your drain, for sure. Really important with long hair, I find. We pour solution down the drain about once or twice a year, and we do use a hair catcher thingy, but sometimes it doesn't catch it all. And also soap scum and... well, you get the picture. ;)

Haha, I do. It's not nice when showers stop draining properly, so yes, it's an important point! ;)