PDA

View Full Version : Has my hair suddenly started to curl or is it the damage? Please help!

Tenebris
August 3rd, 2017, 01:41 PM
Hello Lovely Ladies (and Gents)! I'm new here so let me introduce myself. My name is Tenebris and I'm a UK-based dragon hunter :waving: I've had short hair for for over 2 years but now I really want to grow it. I don't know how long yet. Anyway, I come to you with a problem because well... I know there's probably no such hair problem you couldn't solve!

So back in April I bleached my hair, I wanted to have witcher hair. I know. My hair took very well previous bleaching some year ago, not this time though. It was very damaged and dry so I've dyed it with my natural colour and I think I'll quit hair dye altogether. For some two months I have been oiling my hair every two days and recently I've concocted my first linen seed gel, which seems to work very well. Now, some week ago my hair started to curl. It started with the hair at the front and since then, every day the wave seems to go further towards the back of my head. Also, the strands surrounding my face get more and curly.

Can my hair just go curly all of the sudden? There's no hormonal reason for that... Could oiling it have triggered it? Or maybe it's curly because it's so damaged? Please help, I don't know what to do with it anymore, it looks messy, frizzy and awful :(

I'd post pictures but it seems I can't post attachments. I'd be very grateful for any help!

Anje
August 3rd, 2017, 01:57 PM
Likely it's the damage, though hair can definitely change texture over the years. In either case, I'd try conditioning it heavily, and look for protein treatments if your hair is getting mushy or overly stretchy (which can happen with lots of bleaching and dyeing).

As for the frizz, I think if your hair is going to be curly, you just need to treat it like curly hair. Unlike what you typically do with straight hair, that's going to mean encouraging it to form clumps a bit (leave-ins help with this) and not breaking those clumps up again by brushing/combing/handling them much when the hair has dried. Once you've separated the strands in a curl, they push against each other and stand out every whichway, creating frizz instead of a cohesive curl. Do the bulk of your combing before you wash or when your hair is full of conditioner, depending on what works best for you.

Oh, as for pictures, you'll need an external image host. Imgur.com is what I typically go for. Photobucket used to be recommended, but they've recently decided not to host images that get hotlinked on other websites anymore, so skip them unless you want to pay absurdly high fees. I'd suggest that when you get the chance, wash and condition your hair, then let it dry without combing or handling it. Once it's dry, take a few pictures. That's good for getting a baseline idea of what your hair looks like before any manipulation, and how we like to assign hairtype.

Tenebris
August 4th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Likely it's the damage, though hair can definitely change texture over the years. In either case, I'd try conditioning it heavily, and look for protein treatments if your hair is getting mushy or overly stretchy (which can happen with lots of bleaching and dyeing).

As for the frizz, I think if your hair is going to be curly, you just need to treat it like curly hair. Unlike what you typically do with straight hair, that's going to mean encouraging it to form clumps a bit (leave-ins help with this) and not breaking those clumps up again by brushing/combing/handling them much when the hair has dried. Once you've separated the strands in a curl, they push against each other and stand out every whichway, creating frizz instead of a cohesive curl. Do the bulk of your combing before you wash or when your hair is full of conditioner, depending on what works best for you.

Oh, as for pictures, you'll need an external image host. Imgur.com is what I typically go for. Photobucket used to be recommended, but they've recently decided not to host images that get hotlinked on other websites anymore, so skip them unless you want to pay absurdly high fees. I'd suggest that when you get the chance, wash and condition your hair, then let it dry without combing or handling it. Once it's dry, take a few pictures. That's good for getting a baseline idea of what your hair looks like before any manipulation, and how we like to assign hairtype.
Thank you, Anje :) I wonder though... I bleached it back in April, why would it start to curl out of damage in August? I used protein treatment on it as you suggested and now there's more volume but it's mostly piecey instead of wavy.. How do I know if it's damage or change in structure? Is there any method for assessing that?

Anje
August 4th, 2017, 12:29 PM
My hair is piecey by nature, so I can't give great advice there. Moisture might make it curl more, depending on how your hair reacted to the protein.

Honestly most of what you can do is take care of your hair and work with it rather than against it. Let wavy hair be wavy, curly hair curly, and straight hair straight, instead of trying to force it to daily do something it doesn't want to do.

This is an excellent description of what to look for with protein-moisture balance: http://blackhair101.com/hair-care/moisture-and-protein-maintaining-the-balance It applies to all hair, no matter what your ethnicity or texture, but hair that has been chemically treated is more prone to getting out of balance.

lapushka
August 4th, 2017, 04:40 PM
How old are you? Are you going through puberty, because that is when texture changes are more common still. Or going through menopause? Or, the like.

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 4th, 2017, 04:52 PM
I could see why the curl from damage could happen months later after bleaching, because as time passes the elements really start to nick away at the hair, and when you bleach you've broken up any protective layer your hair had before. It breaks up fatty acids and the hair is now weak. After time, the hair gets worse.
I personally would trim all the bleach out. Bleached hair for me, never stood a chance at the lengths I'm aiming for.

From now on, treat your hair like it's curly. Once the bleach has grown out you'll more likely change textures again.
My hair never went back to its former texture before bleaching. But I do enjoy my texture now so it's not a bad thing.

PixieP
August 5th, 2017, 03:25 AM
I went from being 1a/1b straight my entire life, to my hair suddenly turning wavy over just a few weeks last year! Now my hair is undeniably wavy (2b-ish)! Like you, it showed up in the front for me, and moved backwards. I was 28 then, so it can happen outside of the big hormonal changes too.

Tenebris
August 5th, 2017, 12:30 PM
I went from being 1a/1b straight my entire life, to my hair suddenly turning wavy over just a few weeks last year! Now my hair is undeniably wavy (2b-ish)! Like you, it showed up in the front for me, and moved backwards. I was 28 then, so it can happen outside of the big hormonal changes too.
Thanks PixieP. I'm 29 like you, to answer also lapushka's question.

Tenebris
August 5th, 2017, 12:42 PM
I could see why the curl from damage could happen months later after bleaching, because as time passes the elements really start to nick away at the hair, and when you bleach you've broken up any protective layer your hair had before. It breaks up fatty acids and the hair is now weak. After time, the hair gets worse.
I personally would trim all the bleach out. Bleached hair for me, never stood a chance at the lengths I'm aiming for.

From now on, treat your hair like it's curly. Once the bleach has grown out you'll more likely change textures again.
My hair never went back to its former texture before bleaching. But I do enjoy my texture now so it's not a bad thing.

That's what I was afraid of... What makes me think that curling is caused by damage is that I get the strongest curl on the most damaged parts. Although I thought it might be because I quit the dryer, I heard stories about hair turning out to be wavy/curly only when taken the right kind of care of.

Today, after one protein and one moisture treatment my hair is almost entirely straight again. But I think you might be right and I may need to chop off the front. Bad news, I look horrible with bangs :(

meteor
August 5th, 2017, 01:24 PM
^ I'd just keep using that protein product, since it seems to work for you to temporarily bring your natural texture back. Bleached hair often tends to do well with penetrating oils, hydrolyzed proteins, 18-MEA, ceramides, silicones...

It's not uncommon to have some textural changes - more poofiness, more frizz, more wave or, vice versa, natural curl pattern becoming disrupted and all but disappearing - due to loss of structural integrity in hair due to chemical damage from peroxide. Peroxide breaks hair's disulfide bonds and that can show up as change in texture. When you grow your hair out, your natural texture should be back all over new regrowth (this should become even more visible once damaged ends are removed -they could also be affecting the way the texture shows up). But that isn't to say that natural texture, curl/wave pattern (as well as fineness/coarseness of individual strands) can't change with age, as well - they certainly can. ;)

If you need some help and inspiration, we had some members share stories of successfully regrowing their natural texture after bleach and what helped them and what didn't - check out raemarthe's thread, for example - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139804
There is also a great support thread for growing out bleach/dye/etc - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155

HairPlease
August 5th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Hey, interesting, my texture has been all over the place too. It may be damage related, at least I think so. I used to bleach the living witts out of my locks for many years and I've experienced at least three texture changes. It could be natural, too... diet changes tend to affect my curl pattern over the course of a year or so.
I quit bleaching, too, nice to know I'm not alone in the no-more-bleach club!

Tenebris
August 5th, 2017, 03:20 PM
^ I'd just keep using that protein product, since it seems to work for you to temporarily bring your natural texture back. Bleached hair often tends to do well with penetrating oils, hydrolyzed proteins, 18-MEA, ceramides, silicones...

It's not uncommon to have some textural changes - more poofiness, more frizz, more wave or, vice versa, natural curl pattern becoming disrupted and all but disappearing - due to loss of structural integrity in hair due to chemical damage from peroxide. Peroxide breaks hair's disulfide bonds and that can show up as change in texture. When you grow your hair out, your natural texture should be back all over new regrowth (this should become even more visible once damaged ends are removed -they could also be affecting the way the texture shows up). But that isn't to say that natural texture, curl/wave pattern (as well as fineness/coarseness of individual strands) can't change with age, as well - they certainly can. ;)

If you need some help and inspiration, we had some members share stories of successfully regrowing their natural texture after bleach and what helped them and what didn't - check out raemarthe's thread, for example - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139804
There is also a great support thread for growing out bleach/dye/etc - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155

I love scientific explanations! :D And thank you for the links, very helpful!

Tenebris
August 5th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Hey, interesting, my texture has been all over the place too. It may be damage related, at least I think so. I used to bleach the living witts out of my locks for many years and I've experienced at least three texture changes. It could be natural, too... diet changes tend to affect my curl pattern over the course of a year or so.
I quit bleaching, too, nice to know I'm not alone in the no-more-bleach club!

Hmm diet changes? That's interesting. I didn't know hair can react to that with texture change. My bleaching was a one time adventure and I don't entirely regret it. If not for that and the fact that grey hair didn't suit me after all I would never get the idea to dye my hair in a colour that by chance turned out to be exactly my natural hair colour. So now I can regrow without meters of roots showing :) I will have to cut though...

lapushka
August 5th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Thanks PixieP. I'm 29 like you, to answer also lapushka's question.

Well PixieP evidences that it can still happen at a later stage than puberty. So it might be that you just didn't know how to take care of your hair and that you've been treating it as straight while it might have some wave to it.

Chances are though, that it might be the damage. You'll not know until you get rid of that. But I'd do it slowly. Get yourself acquainted with the mictotrimming thread - I think that would be the best solution.

DesertUnicorn
August 5th, 2017, 04:01 PM
I don't know how often it happens, but hair can change. As I was growing up, my hair was straight. Very straight. Then in my early/mid30's it changed and became wavy/curly depending on length and humidity.

Now, I did have my hair permed for a few years, and it was after I stopped the perming that my hair became wavy, but I don't really think it was any kind of permanent damage from the perming. It was a professionally done perm and if it was damage, I'd have expected it to stop eventually or at least not be consistent everywhere on my head. (I don't think it is too likely that you could damage the hair folicles in an identical manner so that all the hair would do that to the same extent.) AND my hair is now about the same curliness/waviness that my grandmother's hair was. I really think it was just something that changed in my body chemistry.

lapushka
August 5th, 2017, 04:14 PM
I don't know how often it happens, but hair can change. As I was growing up, my hair was straight. Very straight. Then in my early/mid30's it changed and became wavy/curly depending on length and humidity.

Now, I did have my hair permed for a few years, and it was after I stopped the perming that my hair became wavy, but I don't really think it was any kind of permanent damage from the perming. It was a professionally done perm and if it was damage, I'd have expected it to stop eventually or at least not be consistent everywhere on my head. (I don't think it is too likely that you could damage the hair folicles in an identical manner so that all the hair would do that to the same extent.) AND my hair is now about the same curliness/waviness that my grandmother's hair was. I really think it was just something that changed in my body chemistry.

Did you have pregnancies during your 20s/30s? Because that is one gigantic hormonal turmoil and can cause all sorts of things to change in your body. If not, maybe it just changed on its own... who knows.

It's so strange sometimes.

Mine changed from 1b/c to 2b/c, you can see my hair in the 1s in the 7th grade, and then in the 8th grade I had a big ball of "poof" on my head. It was SO weird! Also my hair fell out in clumps (bald patches) when changing textures. The weirdest thing I ever went through where hair was concerned.

Tenebris
August 6th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Well PixieP evidences that it can still happen at a later stage than puberty. So it might be that you just didn't know how to take care of your hair and that you've been treating it as straight while it might have some wave to it.

Chances are though, that it might be the damage. You'll not know until you get rid of that. But I'd do it slowly. Get yourself acquainted with the mictotrimming thread - I think that would be the best solution.

I'm getting convinced it's the damage. The better my hair is moisturised and 'proteined' the less wave it has to it. Alas, I don't think I can afford trimming the damage off slowly :( The front parts are getting damaged at such a pace there will be nothing left of it in next few months... To cut the whole damage off I'd have to go for bangs. I can't though as I look awful in every sort of bangs with my square, a bit chubby face. I can't even braid it or wear it up because I get terrible migraines :/ Oh cruel fate!

LadyCelestina
August 6th, 2017, 01:37 PM
Before jumping into conclusions about it either being damage or hormonal changes, I'd think about what else you changed in your haircare. For example it could be the linseed gel or build up from the oils, or you had naturally some curl and it just surfaced once you started treating your hair better. What's the rest of your routine like?

Tenebris
August 6th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Before jumping into conclusions about it either being damage or hormonal changes, I'd think about what else you changed in your haircare. For example it could be the linseed gel or build up from the oils, or you had naturally some curl and it just surfaced once you started treating your hair better. What's the rest of your routine like?

I wash everyday switching between SLS and non SLS shampoo, mostly non SLS though. I use conditioner with oils and silicones in it, but nothing too heavy. Air dry, oiling every 2-3 days, lineseed gel for styling. Protein treatment when I see the need. I think that's it.

lapushka
August 6th, 2017, 03:31 PM
I wash everyday switching between SLS and non SLS shampoo, mostly non SLS though. I use conditioner with oils and silicones in it, but nothing too heavy. Air dry, oiling every 2-3 days, lineseed gel for styling. Protein treatment when I see the need. I think that's it.

Maybe this routine has brought out the wave in your hair. Who knows. I wouldn't question it any longer, because you'll not know for sure for a while yet (until the damage is gone). So why not just go with the new "do" and try and treat it wavy/curly. :D :thumbsup:

Tenebris
August 7th, 2017, 05:38 AM
I'm not so sure it's the damage anymore... Today I got a socially unpopular idea of not combing or brushing my hair in the morning. I just added some gel and was quite surprised to see curls forming in the back of my head were the hair is perfectly healthy, which kinda debunks my damage curl theory. Although today also I can see it's definitely time for another protein treatment, does that mean it curls when lacking the protein?

I finally got to set up an album on Imgur for you to see. Here: http://imgur.com/a/44TqZ You can see how just 4 days ago, on the 08/03/2017 pics the back was still straight. Today (08/07/2017 pics) poof! Curling. You can also see the quality difference between the front and the back.

lapushka
August 7th, 2017, 06:46 AM
You for sure have a little wave to your hair à la 1b/c, IMMHO. I don't think it's the damage either. Doesn't look that much bleached to me. I was expecting white blond hair.

LadyCelestina
August 7th, 2017, 06:58 AM
Pretty hair!

Honestly, I'm thinking it's the gel thats giving you the curl, or something with the way you style it that's different than what you were doing before. Or you have cut your hair and it's curling and bending because it's short and the waves are not pulled straight by length.

Tenebris
August 7th, 2017, 07:01 AM
You for sure have a little wave to your hair à la 1b/c, IMMHO. I don't think it's the damage either. Doesn't look that much bleached to me. I was expecting white blond hair.

Hmm I thought type 1 is straight hair? Oh and maybe I was not clear about this, but I bleached my hair once to pale yellow level and then went on to colour it grey. It didn't suit me though so I coloured it with what was the closest to my natural colour. And indeed it's so close I can't the the roots.

LadyCelestina
August 7th, 2017, 07:03 AM
Can you maybe post a pic of your hair from before the damage happened?

Tenebris
August 7th, 2017, 07:03 AM
Pretty hair!

Honestly, I'm thinking it's the gel thats giving you the curl, or something with the way you style it that's different than what you were doing before. Or you have cut your hair and it's curling and bending because it's short and the waves are not pulled straight by length.

Thanks :) The hair looked this way even before I put the gel in but I can try and take a picture prior to doing anything to my hair at all.

animetor7
August 7th, 2017, 07:07 AM
Hmm I thought type 1 is straight hair? Oh and maybe I was not clear about this, but I bleached my hair once to pale yellow level and then went on to colour it grey. It didn't suit me though so I coloured it with what was the closest to my natural colour. And indeed it's so close I can't the the roots.

I agree, I'd say you're 1c/2a at least, maybe even solidly 2a. I have 1b hair and get nowhere near that much wave.

lapushka
August 7th, 2017, 07:11 AM
I agree, I'd say you're 1c/2a at least, maybe even solidly 2a. I have 1b hair and get nowhere near that much wave.

I don't see the typical 2a wave (which is an all over wave), but that might still show with length. I'd say 1c at the most.

And yes 1 is straight but 1c has a slight wave to it as well. I don't know where the typing guide is, but it's around here somewhere, and should have pictures.

animetor7
August 7th, 2017, 07:21 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252

Here's the typing guide. I think tenebris has too much wave and too "strong" a wave pattern to match 1b/c. It looks more like 1c/2a which may develop into a more typical 2a wave all over pattern with length. That's why I said maybe 2a.

lapushka
August 7th, 2017, 07:27 AM
Hmmm. 1c/2a at the most, I'd say. I would not call it full 2a until it has grown some and she does a proper hair typing. I don't think the pictures are proper hair typing, are they?

Tenebris
August 7th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Can you maybe post a pic of your hair from before the damage happened?

I've threw in some pics of how my hair structure used to be up to now. They're from the last few years, the top two (blonde and brown) and another blonde below are from the different bleaching stages so you can see how my hair looked like immediately after all this torturing and after the final stage (which was colouring it brown).

I should maybe add that I used to style my hair with hot tools for the past 2,5 year. Every single day + dry it with the dryer every day as well. I heard it can hide wavy texture.

Dendra
August 7th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Hmmm. 1c/2a at the most, I'd say. I would not call it full 2a until it has grown some and she does a proper hair typing. I don't think the pictures are proper hair typing, are they?

That's true, the pictures would need to be taken with no gel/leave in and no brushing or finger combing. Just air drying.

It's hard to say, Tenebris, what wave pattern might come out with length but to me at the moment it looks maybe 1c. My hair definitely waved/curled after I used a box dye on it aged 13. It could have been the hormones, but my hair has never been that wavy again so I think it was partly down to damage.

animetor7
August 7th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Yes a true hair typing picture would be good. I think tenebris could do a hair typing picture even if some of the wave is caused by damage and she needs to get it retyped later. It would give an idea of what she's working with right now.

Tenebris
August 7th, 2017, 07:50 AM
That's true, the pictures would need to be taken with no gel/leave in and no brushing or finger combing. Just air drying.

It's hard to say, Tenebris, what wave pattern might come out with length but to me at the moment it looks maybe 1c. My hair definitely waved/curled after I used a box dye on it aged 13. It could have been the hormones, but my hair has never been that wavy again so I think it was partly down to damage.

Ok, should I dry it as I would straight or wavy/curly? I mean, should I comb it while it's wet and leave to dry or should I comb is once when dry? I don't think I can skip the detangling altogether...

animetor7
August 7th, 2017, 07:53 AM
Ok, should I dry it as I would straight or wavy/curly? I mean, should I comb it while it's wet and leave to dry or should I comb is once when dry? I don't think I can skip the detangling altogether...

For typing you literally wash it and let it dry without fingercombing, combing, leave-ins, or anything that could straighten a wave pattern. Maybe some gentle finger combing once dry, but nothing while damp or wet.

ETA: I think there's instructions in the typing guide. Good luck! :)

Tenebris
August 7th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Yes a true hair typing picture would be good. I think tenebris could do a hair typing picture even if some of the wave is caused by damage and she needs to get it retyped later. It would give an idea of what she's working with right now.

A hair typing picture? You mean sans styling and air dried as suggested by lapushka and Dendra? I've read somewhere that the pattern of wavy/curly can be relaxed or otherwise disturbed by not handling in in certain ways. If that's true, wouldn't it mean it won't show properly unless 'done something' with?

Dendra
August 7th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Here are the instructions:

Wash your hair as you usually do. You do not need to use other products, clarify or change your regular routine. The hair type which really matters is the one you are dealing with day to day and not so much the one you could have if you just clarified. Of course your true natural hair type will come out most when your hair is absolutely clean from all product leftovers and it's also neat to know how much different routines alter ones hair type, but clarifying is not a necessary requirement to type your hair.

Let your hair air dry with the least amount of detangling you can manage to do. Detangling before washing and while your hair is still wet is totally fine, just avoid doing it (as much as reasonably possible) during the time it is air drying. Finger combing, combing and brushing during that time will change the structure of your hair you are just trying to discover. Not all hair types can manage to dry totally untouched, still it's best to keep it to a minimum to avoid changing the results.

And a link to the entire visual hairtyping guide:

LadyCelestina
August 7th, 2017, 07:59 AM
I've threw in some pics of how my hair structure used to be up to now. They're from the last few years, the top two (blonde and brown) and another blonde below are from the different bleaching stages so you can see how my hair looked like immediately after all this torturing and after the final stage (which was colouring it brown).

I should maybe add that I used to style my hair with hot tools for the past 2,5 year. Every single day + dry it with the dryer every day as well. I heard it can hide wavy texture.
Yes. It melts something in the structure of the hair, causing it to loose wave and curl. I could link you to a more scientific explanation if you want to :)

I checked out your pics... Your hair seems to have a slight body wave/flipping of the ends to it in nearly all of the pics, which would put you in at least 1b category. There's also slight puffiness/frizz which could be indicative of some brushed out wave.... but it's hard to say how much of the straight texture is from flat iron damage. I think I second lapushka's advice of learning to love and work with what you have.

eta: btw, this is very un-lhc advice, but if you want that straight hair and are not interested in growing your hair very long, you could straighten your hair once in a while... I know that my bangs stay relatively smooth and straight with just blow drying once I damage them a bit with flat iron. But the price for that is split ends at chin length. (my hair is quite curly btw)

Tenebris
August 7th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Here are the instructions:

Wash your hair as you usually do. You do not need to use other products, clarify or change your regular routine. The hair type which really matters is the one you are dealing with day to day and not so much the one you could have if you just clarified. Of course your true natural hair type will come out most when your hair is absolutely clean from all product leftovers and it's also neat to know how much different routines alter ones hair type, but clarifying is not a necessary requirement to type your hair.

Let your hair air dry with the least amount of detangling you can manage to do. Detangling before washing and while your hair is still wet is totally fine, just avoid doing it (as much as reasonably possible) during the time it is air drying. Finger combing, combing and brushing during that time will change the structure of your hair you are just trying to discover. Not all hair types can manage to dry totally untouched, still it's best to keep it to a minimum to avoid changing the results.

And a link to the entire visual hairtyping guide:

Thank you, I've found it :) I'll do it tonight and post the pictures.

Tenebris
August 7th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Yes. It melts something in the structure of the hair, causing it to loose wave and curl. I could link you to a more scientific explanation if you want to :)

I checked out your pics... Your hair seems to have a slight body wave/flipping of the ends to it in nearly all of the pics, which would put you in at least 1b category. There's also slight puffiness/frizz which could be indicative of some brushed out wave.... but it's hard to say how much of the straight texture is from flat iron damage. I think I second lapushka's advice of learning to love and work with what you have.

eta: btw, this is very un-lhc advice, but if you want that straight hair and are not interested in growing your hair very long, you could straighten your hair once in a while... I know that my bangs stay relatively smooth and straight with just blow drying once I damage them a bit with flat iron. But the price for that is split ends at chin length. (my hair is quite curly btw)

I live for scientific explanations :D

And I'd really, really want my hair to wave or curl. I'd gladly work with it. It would be a shame if it was just caused by damage and gone once the hair's healthy :(

LadyCelestina
August 7th, 2017, 08:59 AM
I live for scientific explanations :D

And I'd really, really want my hair to wave or curl. I'd gladly work with it. It would be a shame if it was just caused by damage and gone once the hair's healthy :(

Then I'd go read up on the Curly Girl method! It's a very good start when learning to care for curly hair/encouraging curl, even if you end up not sticking to all the principles. I believe you can find the book ahem online, but if not, it's content is summarized pretty well in articles from around the internet.
eta: oh and here's the explanation http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2014/11/can-your-hair-recover-from-heat-damage.html

Tenebris
August 7th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Ah and also, the hot tool was curling wand for nearly 2 years and then flat iron for few months. So the straight hair on the pictures are not straightened. Some of the pics are from before I started to use tools at all.

Why can't I edit my posts? :confused:

Dendra
August 7th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Why can't I edit my posts? :confused:

You might not have enough posts yet to be allowed to edit, I think you need to have done 25 posts.

Tenebris
August 8th, 2017, 04:33 AM
I've added some typing pictures taken according to the rules :D Would you be so kind to 'type' me now?

I have to say it's awfully difficult to dry my hair without touching it! All my life I've been combing, tossing, tousling, shaking and what have you while drying it. And now even though the wave is more prominent my hair looks uncombed and bit frizzy... I'd like it to have a bigger, smoother wave. I feel quite lost...

lapushka
August 8th, 2017, 04:51 AM
I've added some typing pictures taken according to the rules :D Would you be so kind to 'type' me now?

I have to say it's awfully difficult to dry my hair without touching it! All my life I've been combing, tossing, tousling, shaking and what have you while drying it. And now even though the wave is more prominent my hair looks uncombed and bit frizzy... I'd like it to have a bigger, smoother wave. I feel quite lost...

Could you link us again, please, because I can't seem to find the new pictures. Maybe it's me. :o

Tenebris
August 8th, 2017, 04:59 AM
Could you link us again, please, because I can't seem to find the new pictures. Maybe it's me. :o

Sorry, of course! http://imgur.com/a/44TqZ

Dendra
August 8th, 2017, 05:05 AM
Awww look at those lovely little waves in the back! Your hair is gorgeous, Tenebris.

It does look more wavy than 1c now. It will be very interesting to see how your waves develop as you gain length. I'm no expert, but you could be a 2a/b.

leayellena
August 8th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Your hair doesn't look damaged to me. Are you sure peeps that her new waves/curls are not actually healthy hair? I mean I never heard of damaged hair to curl. My hair is - damaged we say - from a rough comb but did I mention I s&d'd? Perhaps too much? My ends look Shaggy and messy but I don't get splits so soon (maybe 20-30 in a month). I need patience and micro trims but that should be a normal routine just like deep conditioning for example.

Tenebris
August 8th, 2017, 05:20 AM
Awww look at those lovely little waves in the back! Your hair is gorgeous, Tenebris.

It does look more wavy than 1c now. It will be very interesting to see how your waves develop as you gain length. I'm no expert, but you could be a 2a/b.

Thank you, Dendra! :flowers: It's very sweet of you and very encouraging, as I'm still not sure what to do with this 'new hair'!

lapushka
August 8th, 2017, 05:26 AM
Sorry, of course! http://imgur.com/a/44TqZ

I think I'm permanently changing from 1c, to 1c/2a. Nice!!!

Might be full 2a once you gain some length. Be sure to do this again, once you hit APL or so.

Tenebris
August 8th, 2017, 06:23 AM
I think I'm permanently changing from 1c, to 1c/2a. Nice!!!

Might be full 2a once you gain some length. Be sure to do this again, once you hit APL or so.

Thanks! Do you think my hair is done with changing or not yet? I mean, I wonder whether it's more of a discovery or a change... I think someone here mentioned going wavy/curly over few weeks. For me it's been around 2 weeks so far.

lapushka
August 8th, 2017, 07:17 AM
Thanks! Do you think my hair is done with changing or not yet? I mean, I wonder whether it's more of a discovery or a change... I think someone here mentioned going wavy/curly over few weeks. For me it's been around 2 weeks so far.

It might be more of a discovery if you've been heat styling all along. It's nice to discover this, though, at least you can leave the straightener alone now... right? ;)

Tenebris
August 8th, 2017, 07:23 AM
It might be more of a discovery if you've been heat styling all along. It's nice to discover this, though, at least you can leave the straightener alone now... right? ;)

Well, I've been actually curling it, not straightening! :D So yeah, I think I can quit it now ;)

animetor7
August 8th, 2017, 08:46 AM

Oh yeah, definitely 1c/2a maybe even a full 2a or 2a/b once it gains some length. And I don't think it looks frizzy, just lovely and wavy!! The best of luck in learning how to care for your new-found waves. :) :flower:

Tenebris
August 8th, 2017, 09:06 AM
Oh yeah, definitely 1c/2a maybe even a full 2a or 2a/b once it gains some length. And I don't think it looks frizzy, just lovely and wavy!! The best of luck in learning how to care for your new-found waves. :) :flower:

Thank you and thanks for your help with that :) I'm going to try CG method but the Internet says 2a is a whimsical mess that I'll have no time to care for properly. More or less. I hope it's not that bad...

animetor7
August 8th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Thank you and thanks for your help with that :) I'm going to try CG method but the Internet says 2a is a whimsical mess that I'll have no time to care for properly. More or less. I hope it's not that bad...

You're very welcome!! I don't know if you'll find it that difficult to take care of, but do keep in mind that most places on the internet are used to forcing wavy hair into straight or purely curly hairstyles using heat and such, and of course that will cause frizz and difficulty!! Hopefully here you'll learn ways of loving your hair the way it is and caring for the waves rather than crushing them. I think if you can do that 2a is a very beautiful hair type!! :)

diddiedaisy
August 8th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Haha, my 2a is definately a whimsical mess!!! However, I would say that you are one the lucky 2a's who has a larger wave rather than a thin curl which is what I have. Your hair is going to look gorgeous as it grows. :)

meteor
August 8th, 2017, 08:59 PM
Tenebris, it just looks like natural texture on the photos to me (somewhere between 1b and 2a/b maybe?), I don't see damage, though this kind of stuff is hard to judge from photos alone.

Your hair is short enough that it can probably wave or curl easily from scrunching, plopping and squish-to-condish techniques. And if your hair is low porosity, coarse and kind of resistant to setting in waves and curls, you might still find some luck with overnight damp-setting (maybe with a bit of gel or conditioner or setting lotion) - in foam rollers, mini-braids or mini-buns, etc...

Tenebris
August 9th, 2017, 06:12 AM
Haha, my 2a is definately a whimsical mess!!! However, I would say that you are one the lucky 2a's who has a larger wave rather than a thin curl which is what I have. Your hair is going to look gorgeous as it grows. :)

Aw thanks diddiedaisy, it's very comforting to hear that :) However, today I have a sort of thin curl but only on one side of my head :confused: Can I see some pics of your hair? :o

Tenebris, it just looks like natural texture on the photos to me (somewhere between 1b and 2a/b maybe?), I don't see damage, though this kind of stuff is hard to judge from photos alone.

Your hair is short enough that it can probably wave or curl easily from scrunching, plopping and squish-to-condish techniques. And if your hair is low porosity, coarse and kind of resistant to setting in waves and curls, you might still find some luck with overnight damp-setting (maybe with a bit of gel or conditioner or setting lotion) - in foam rollers, mini-braids or mini-buns, etc...

The damage is just on the front hair. It was way more visible back when my hair was still straight and before any serious protein treatment. And it's true it's hard to capture that with camera. My hair is unfortunately higher porosity now that it undergone bleaching, but I think I'm slowly getting my natural low-medium porosity back. But no, it's not coarse or resistant at all :)

What I've tried so far was air drying which made my hair wavy with thin waves and also very messy. Another thing was diffusor on finger combed and scrunched hair coated with gel, which left me with irregular strings, almost straight. To be honest, I got the best results so far with drying it with the dryer to some 70-80% dry, then air drying the rest and going to sleep. The waves would form overnight and then, in the morning, I would apply some gel on dry or damped hair without any combing. But that's probably... unorthodox. I've never heard about squish-to-condish or overnight damp-setting. Looks like I have a lot to learn.

Tenebris
August 15th, 2017, 04:59 AM
So, after a week of experimenting, the last 3 pictures show what I ended up with: http://imgur.com/a/44TqZ To be honest I'm quite depressed, it looks even worse then before. I wish my hair went back to straight at least, because this is awful :( All this scrunching, gels, diffusers or airdrying. Doesn't matter what I do, it always looks like frizzy, stringy mess:( Like a perm-went-awry. Actually I think the scrunching make it even worse. Will it get any better or is *this* my new hair? :(

lapushka
August 15th, 2017, 09:05 AM
So, after a week of experimenting, the last 3 pictures show what I ended up with: http://imgur.com/a/44TqZ To be honest I'm quite depressed, it looks even worse then before. I wish my hair went back to straight at least, because this is awful :( All this scrunching, gels, diffusers or airdrying. Doesn't matter what I do, it always looks like frizzy, stringy mess:( Like a perm-went-awry. Actually I think the scrunching make it even worse. Will it get any better or is *this* my new hair? :(

I honestly think that looks amazing. It takes time to get used to a new texture, give it that time. It often takes looking at your hair in a totally different manner and... it's often not easy.

Tenebris
August 15th, 2017, 09:38 AM
I honestly think that looks amazing. It takes time to get used to a new texture, give it that time. It often takes looking at your hair in a totally different manner and... it's often not easy.

Thank you... It doesn't feel amazing but I really appreciate what you said. I'm an incurable perfectionist ;) So the texture can still improve? I heard it might be the daily use of linen gel as it's not neutral but rather a strong humectant that can throw the hair off the protein-moisture balance. What do you think?

animetor7
August 15th, 2017, 10:38 AM
I think it looks really beautiful, soft and a bit wild or free (in a good, Merida from Brave sort of way) at the same time which is a look you can never achieve with straight hair. As for the use of linseed gel (I think that's what you mean, a search for linen gel just gets me laundry suggestions) I've never used it before, but I've read of other wavies and curlies really loving it for their hair. I'd say try it and see if you like it. And I second giving yourself time to learn how to take care of your waves and get used to the texture. You can always work on heat free straightening methods if you decide that you just don't like your hair in it's wavy state. But because it's such a unique and special texture, I'd say go for it and see if you can like it wavy too. Good luck!! :)

diddiedaisy
August 15th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Aw thanks diddiedaisy, it's very comforting to hear that :) However, today I have a sort of thin curl but only on one side of my head :confused: Can I see some pics of your hair? :o

The damage is just on the front hair. It was way more visible back when my hair was still straight and before any serious protein treatment. And it's true it's hard to capture that with camera. My hair is unfortunately higher porosity now that it undergone bleaching, but I think I'm slowly getting my natural low-medium porosity back. But no, it's not coarse or resistant at all :)

What I've tried so far was air drying which made my hair wavy with thin waves and also very messy. Another thing was diffusor on finger combed and scrunched hair coated with gel, which left me with irregular strings, almost straight. To be honest, I got the best results so far with drying it with the dryer to some 70-80% dry, then air drying the rest and going to sleep. The waves would form overnight and then, in the morning, I would apply some gel on dry or damped hair without any combing. But that's probably... unorthodox. I've never heard about squish-to-condish or overnight damp-setting. Looks like I have a lot to learn.

I'll have a look for one, I usually straighten hair for pics but I know I have one in its curly state. :)

diddiedaisy
August 15th, 2017, 11:35 AM
https://www.flickr.com/gp/152602566@N08/0599ny

I don't know if this has worked. Photobucket was so much easier!!!

Anyway, I think this was taken earlier in the year. It always looks scruffy no matter what method I try. So I've given up trying and if I'm going to wear it down I straighten it hair friendly stylee.

You look to have a very different curl to mine though, if you look in my albums there is a hair typing pic when I was collarbone length. At that length it was more 80's perm haha :)

Tenebris
August 16th, 2017, 08:22 AM
I think it looks really beautiful, soft and a bit wild or free (in a good, Merida from :)Brave sort of way) at the same time which is a look you can never achieve with straight hair. As for the use of linseed gel (I think that's what you mean, a search for linen gel just gets me laundry suggestions) I've never used it before, but I've read of other wavies and curlies really loving it for their hair. I'd say try it and see if you like it. And I second giving yourself time to learn how to take care of your waves and get used to the texture. You can always work on heat free straightening methods if you decide that you just don't like your hair in it's wavy state. But because it's such a unique and special texture, I'd say go for it and see if you can like it wavy too. Good luck!! :)

Thank you :) Haha yes, I meant linseed gel XD The thing is I have been using it all the time to the point where I overdid the moisture in my hair probably. Just drowned it in goodness. Oh well. I will use my flax seed bag to make hair growth promoting drink. At least that works as intended.

But today I have a real breakthrough after some proteins and other things. So thank you for the encouragement, I can definitely see how patience, learning and experimenting is the way :flower:

lithostoic
August 16th, 2017, 08:39 AM
It looks beautiful to me! I hope that my waves don't leave when the damage does :c I've always wanted wavy hair and I hope my pattern gets stronger.

Tenebris
August 16th, 2017, 08:40 AM
https://www.flickr.com/gp/152602566@N08/0599ny

I don't know if this has worked. Photobucket was so much easier!!!

Anyway, I think this was taken earlier in the year. It always looks scruffy no matter what method I try. So I've given up trying and if I'm going to wear it down I straighten it hair friendly stylee.

You look to have a very different curl to mine though, if you look in my albums there is a hair typing pic when I was collarbone length. At that length it was more 80's perm haha :)

Thanks for the picture :) I've had a look at your typing pic as well and it's amazing how much prettier you hair look now! But I guess my curl really is a bit different... Currently I'm in love with the magnificent, wild 3c corkscrews but I know I will never have it, no matter how much I encourage the curl. I guess for me 2c would be an achievement. Ah hair envy...

Tenebris
August 16th, 2017, 08:46 AM
It looks beautiful to me! I hope that my waves don't leave when the damage does :c I've always wanted wavy hair and I hope my pattern gets stronger.

Thank you! I like it much better today though (last pic in my igmur) I'm right there with you on that fear! I so hope it won't go away! But then again, I have the curl both on the damaged and on healthy parts so I don't think this is the case.

EDIT: I've just realised we haven't reached any conclusion on whether it's the damage that makes my hair curl or it's the natural pattern changing/emerging for some reason. What do you think now, Ladies, after all those pictures?