PDA

View Full Version : Schampoo bar with henna? Will it dye my hair?

Cinnamonagouti
August 2nd, 2017, 05:26 AM
Hey everyone!

I use J.R Liggett's schampoo bars, which I love, but I would like to try out another brand. I found a brand called Flow Cosmetics, and they have a bar especially for red hair which they claim to "deepen and protect the hair colour, especially for red and auburn hair". I have neither auburn nor red hair, but a kind of darkish golden blonde hair which can look pretty red in the sun (I have very red hairstrands thrown in here and there in my hair). Actually quite many people have told me that my hair is red, even when not in the sun. So I guess it has some kind of red shade in it. However, I love red hair and would like to bring out my red tones. But I'm afraid this bar will make my hair look very obviously dyed (even if they claim that the bar does not dye the hair), whereas I just want to highlight my already red tones. Do you think it would work? Shall I dare to give it a try?

The bar contains henna (Lawsonia inermis): https://www.jordklok.se/sv/articles/2.197.4346/flow-cosmetics-ekologisk-schampotval-for-rott-har-100-g

Also could someone please double-check if it is silicone- and sulfate free? I think it is :)

Sodium cocoate*, Butyrospermum parkii butter*, Aqua, Ricinus communis seed oil*, Calendula officinalis flower*, Lawsonia inermis herb*, Mel*, Citrus limonum oil*, Cananga odorata oil*, Chamomile romain oil*, Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract*, Limonene**, Linalool**, Benzyl benzoate**.

They also have a bar for blonde hair which contain cassia, so maybe I will give that one a try instead.

Siv
August 2nd, 2017, 05:41 AM
Sodium cocoate is soap, if I understand correctly. So you might want to check out the shampoo bar thread :) I had some issues using shampoo bars since I've hard water and got a ridiculous amount build up on my hair, but many people love using soap based bars!

In the description on the link you provided it says the henna is a "henna extract". I use two products with henna extract that also claim to not colour hair - this shampoo from MacUrth (http://www.tantensgrona.se/schampo/3324-macurth-schampo-henna-rod-250-ml-5707373105091.html) and this deep conditioner from Eorol (https://halsokraft.se/sv-se/produkter/henna-balm-150-g.aspx?from=pdlist). I have some red undertones in my blonde hair but haven't noticed them bringing any of it out. They don't change the colour of my hair at all. What they do, is provide some strengthening properties that I used to get when I dyed my hair with henna. This strengthening is no where near the same as with pure henna, and it lasts only a couple of days, but it's a nice touch.

lapushka
August 2nd, 2017, 05:49 AM
Also could someone please double-check if it is silicone- and sulfate free? I think it is :)

Sodium cocoate*, Butyrospermum parkii butter*, Aqua, Ricinus communis seed oil*, Calendula officinalis flower*, Lawsonia inermis herb*, Mel*, Citrus limonum oil*, Cananga odorata oil*, Chamomile romain oil*, Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract*, Limonene**, Linalool**, Benzyl benzoate**.

They also have a bar for blonde hair which contain cassia, so maybe I will give that one a try instead.

You could test it on shed hair? Simple & easy, and then you'll not have to fret as much. ;)

The bar has no silicones, but it doesn't seem to be a lye-based soap (sodium cocoate).

Larki
August 2nd, 2017, 06:40 AM
Yeah, I vote for testing it on a ball of shed hair first - probably several times since you won't just be using it once on your head. I avoid anything containing henna like the plague.

Cinnamonagouti
August 2nd, 2017, 07:24 AM
Good idea with the shed hair - i will start collecting. The bar is quite expensive, though, so I don't know if I want to risk buying it and then it doesn't work, haha.

Oh okay, soap as in something else than saponified oil? J.R Liggett's has these ingredients: Saponified olive oil, Coconut oil, Castor oil, Sunflower oil, RSPO (http://www.rspo.org/about) Palm kernel oil* Rose essential oil (fragrance). As I said, J.R Ligget's bars work great, but do you think a bar with soap would be more like "regular" schampoo (with sulphates etc.)? I have very soft water where I live, would that minimize the risk for build-up (Siv)? I feel like I have absolutely no idea when it comes to things like this :P. Even if it doesn't bring out the red tones, it would be great to get the strengthen properties of henna (I have very fine hair). Cassia have the same effect as henna, only it isn't permanent and doesn't colour the hair, right?

Larki - why doesn't you like henna? Most people I've heard praise it. Can it make the hair "stiff" or something?

lapushka
August 2nd, 2017, 08:10 AM
Larki - why doesn't you like henna? Most people I've heard praise it. Can it make the hair "stiff" or something?

I don't like henna either. In my case it has the same effect on roughening up the hair shaft than bleach has (mild bleach). Henna isn't the end all be all of things, you know? :) Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's good or better than anything else. :flower:

Maple
August 2nd, 2017, 08:16 AM
I tried three different shampoo bars / soaps with henna (but not the one from Flow Cosmetics). Two said the henna in it doesn't dye and is just to give volume or sheen etc. The third one was advertised for giving some colour. But in the end, none of them added any colour to my blonde roots. The hennaed lengths also didn't look more red. My hair was clean, but otherwise looked as before. I don't think the henna in shampoo bars has enough power to dye. Just mixing the henna powder with the rest of the ingredients doesn't neccessary lead to dye release.

Cinnamonagouti
August 2nd, 2017, 08:24 AM
I don't like henna either. In my case it has the same effect on roughening up the hair shaft than bleach has (mild bleach). Henna isn't the end all be all of things, you know? :) Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's good or better than anything else. :flower:
I know that everyone's hair is different, I was just curios what bad effects it can have since I've seen so many good things about henna. :) For example, my hair looks great when I use silicones, it becomes so soft and silky, and that's not a 'natural' ingredient. I prefer not to use it, though, as it makes my har too slippery to stay in my braid... But it is great when I feel like I donät have the time to care for my hair properly, as it is protects the hair from mechanical damage.

Chromis
August 2nd, 2017, 08:35 AM
I do recommend checking out the big shampoo bar thread. I know it is large, but put on a pot of tea and jump right in! There are cookies if you read it all. We are very friendly.

The henna-containing bars I have tried from Chagrin Valley did not impart a noticeable colour change for me, but my hair is fairly dark to start with and I have done henna in the past.

Henna (and shampoo bars!) is not for everyone, but my hair is all for the henna. It makes mine much stronger, glossier, and tames the dreaded scalp itchies. Now that I have more silvers coming in, I have been playing more with cassia and sedr instead because I don't want to hide them, but I miss the henna a bit. Cassia is also pretty nice in its own right, but the henna gives an even better conditioning effect IME.

lapushka
August 2nd, 2017, 08:58 AM
I have a very well-known mask still (stocked up), but it's discontinued now, it does have henna but it is a guaranteed colorless conditioner. I'll see if I can still find a picture of it (yeah, it's tiny, but you can see it's non coloring):
http://drogistproduct.nl/thumbler/16411/8054b4ac3ea158c5734b55c25cf5b9e7/evi-line-henna-cure-care-wax-mask-deonlinedrogist.jpg

SeaAnna
August 2nd, 2017, 08:59 AM
I have used Chagrin Valley shampoo bars with henna, and no, they don't dye your hair, but over time you might see a faint change in tone. Since you usually rinse it out quickly and the henna is pretty diluted in the bar, it doesn't have a chance to stain much.

Obsidian
August 2nd, 2017, 09:28 AM
I don't feel that bar will color your hair at all. The soap is such a light color, I bet the lather is white. Its is pure soap, no sulfates at all but the formula is quite different than the bar you are using now. The main ingredients are coconut oil, shea butter and castor oil. Its very possible that your hair won't like the change of formula, if that happens then you can use it on your body.

Larki
August 2nd, 2017, 10:04 AM

Onky because I don't want anything that will change the color of my hair. 😊

animetor7
August 2nd, 2017, 11:08 AM
If you are really concerned about color change, however slight, I would steer clear of anything containing even small amounts of henna. Henna is stubborn and persistent and even small amounts can impart some color change. It also can be relatively permanent on some hair types, so it's not something you want to go into half-heartedly even if it's only a small amount that wouldn't change much. That said, this bar probably won't do much if anything to color, so it's relatively "safe" even if you do want to avoid color change, but I probably would only use it if you're okay with some slight color change, just in case.

Deborah
August 3rd, 2017, 01:26 AM
I don't think the soap will affect your hair color at all.