PDA

View Full Version : Random chunks of short hair, AKA talk me down from a chop

omgitssarah
July 31st, 2017, 07:22 PM
Ahhh, guys! This is driving me NUTS. I almost constantly have a nice fuzzy halo of frizz, which is moderately annoying. But I discovered today that I have fairly thick sections of very short hairs. What is going on?? I'm honestly thinking of just cutting back to shoulder or chin so the short bits are less jarring...

My hair is so thick anyway that as it gets longer I'm having trouble getting shampoo to all parts of my scalp and I'm getting headaches pretty regularly. Please help!!

Pardon the greasy hair in the pics...it's wash day!

http://i.imgur.com/G7wgW8Im.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wkIwbRZm.jpg

akurah
July 31st, 2017, 09:38 PM
I have small chunks like that all over my head. Cutting won't fix except for cases caused by breaking, and only if you can then further prevent the breaking.

megthehennahead
July 31st, 2017, 11:34 PM
My hair is past my waist and I've never lost my frizz halo. And you're probably the only person who notices the shorter bits! Don't let them frustrate you into a chop, because you'll most likely regret a cut that was motivated by frustration.

As for shampoo, I have the same issue. I have to get my hair really soaking wet and then usually apply shampoo in two chunks. The first gets the top of my scalp and my hairline, and the second gets the... middle back I guess I'll call it? I've just had to play around with how much shampoo to apply at once and where to apply first and figured out what works for me!

Corvana
July 31st, 2017, 11:47 PM
Can't help with the short bits. While annoying, they don't seem all that abnormal to me. It's possible that that cluster of hair all has the same growth cycle.

Now for the shampoo: My hair isn't overly thick, but it's starting to get annoying to get to all of my scalp. I saw someone mention using a hair dye applicator bottle for their diluted shampoo and thought it was brilliant! Except I don't have an applicator bottle. But I did just finish a bottle of shampoo, and I was curious about trying out diluted shampoo anyway, so two birds. What I do is I bend over as far as I can, and then I put the shampoo bottle spout on my scalp and gently run it over my whole head. Since the shampoo is diluted with water it just kinda trickles out, and I end up getting my whole scalp!

As for headaches, I've honestly got nothing. I'm prone to them, but I'm hopeful that I'll find a few ways to do buns and braids and not get any now that I know of several different buns and ways to hold them. My old roommate, who I visited this past weekend, has at least waist length hair and I believe she gets headaches from it. I know she gets neck aches! She usually just puts her hair in a ponytail or a bun with an elastic. I played with her hair and practiced the disc bun with it, and she loved it. Said that there was an immediate relief from her neck pain. So I'm hoping that if I can do my own correctly, I'll have a good time too!

Andthetalltrees
July 31st, 2017, 11:47 PM
I have these short bits right along my hair line from a shed(For awhile it seemed like I had cut bangs in, when I hadn't), and the top layer of my hair. I really don't think they're a big deal, especially if they're mixed in with the rest, nobody has hair that's all one length. But I for one embrace my uneven, frizzy hair so maybe others would think different :shrug:

Sarahlabyrinth
August 1st, 2017, 12:51 AM
Dilute your shampoo with water and put it in a bottle with a nozzle, ie an old dye applicator bottle. You can spread that shampoo over every inch of your scalp, easily. And don't cut! :)

VersLaLumière
August 1st, 2017, 02:04 AM
I have a short bit just like that (looks exactly like the one in the top picture), and I also keep short bangs. Due to the placement of the short bit, I'm pretty sure that it was caused by a mistake my hairdresser made in trimming my bangs. Could that be a possibility in your case?

I'm just tolerating it while it grows out and next time I go in for a bang trim I'll ask her to avoid that piece. It'll blend in as it grows.

lapushka
August 1st, 2017, 02:16 AM
Ahhh, guys! This is driving me NUTS. I almost constantly have a nice fuzzy halo of frizz, which is moderately annoying. But I discovered today that I have fairly thick sections of very short hairs. What is going on?? I'm honestly thinking of just cutting back to shoulder or chin so the short bits are less jarring...

My hair is so thick anyway that as it gets longer I'm having trouble getting shampoo to all parts of my scalp and I'm getting headaches pretty regularly. Please help!!

Pardon the greasy hair in the pics...it's wash day!

http://i.imgur.com/G7wgW8Im.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wkIwbRZm.jpg

What you're holding looks to be a part of your bangs... no? :hmm: :confused:

Maybe they cut in your bangs wrong last time and tried to cover it up. That can happen!

I "divide" my hair into 4 sections for washing. I put a palmful of shampoo on the top of my head, at the nape, and then another glob divided in the hands for the 2 sides. That gets sudsed up well, add a bit of water, suds some more, until the entire head is one big foamy mass, then rinse a bit, suds it back up, and rinse it all completely out. That's how it's done with my hair, and it is also quite thick. My hair is always clean after a wash.

It's really not difficult. The one thing I can't do is dilute, or I will 1/ not get the oil out 2/ SD (seborrheic dermatitis) will speak up again!

Kake
August 1st, 2017, 03:00 AM
Would you consider getting your thick hair layered? That could cut down on the weight, if that's giving you headaches. Very long layers that don't cut into the length is, IMO, a great looking cut on thick hair.

lapushka
August 1st, 2017, 03:05 AM
Would you consider getting your thick hair layered? That could cut down on the weight, if that's giving you headaches. Very long layers that don't cut into the length is, IMO, a great looking cut on thick hair.

It's something that needed to happen for me at around waist length. It was either waist length blunt or classic with layers. And it's layered according to the compact cut method (I make a ponytail at the forehead), and my hair is washed head-down so that is a real pleasant surprise because it is much shorter bending forward and easier to wash too!

pandabarrier
August 1st, 2017, 04:37 AM
I bought the plastic applicator bottle that I use for diluted shampoo in the 99 cents store. It was a pair meant for storing mustard and ketchup.

omgitssarah
August 1st, 2017, 04:57 AM
What you're holding looks to be a part of your bangs... no? :hmm: :confused:

Maybe they cut in your bangs wrong last time and tried to cover it up. That can happen!

No, I know it looks like that but this actually starts a bit further back, maybe an inch or so.

lapushka
August 1st, 2017, 05:51 AM
No, I know it looks like that but this actually starts a bit further back, maybe an inch or so.

Hmm, could still have gotten caught in the scissors. And it's just the one piece? If so, then just leave it be. That's no reason to chop the rest of your hair off, unless you're looking for an excuse and just want to. ;):p I mean you did amazing coming all the way from a pixie cut, it would be a darn shame to lose all that length now.

unheardletters
August 1st, 2017, 06:04 AM
I have several random chunks of shorter hair. For me it is normal, since I always have them. If I cut my hair to match then I'd have to keep my hair short forever because I always have a few chunks of shorties.

Dendra
August 1st, 2017, 07:22 AM
I feel you with the frizz halo, suddenly I have one covering my whole scalp made up of two inch pieces of hair.

About your hair, if it makes a difference I love your hair! I've seen it in the RAOK thread and marvelled at it's thickness. Which I know is a pain for you, but you are blessed so it would be a shame to see it go unless it's what you truly want.

spidermom
August 1st, 2017, 08:47 AM
You're always going to have shorter hair because of the shed and regrow cycle. Believe me, cutting back won't help. Getting layers would make the short bits look more like a deliberate style, but don't do this unless you like the look of layers and don't mind them popping out of updos.

I second or third the suggestion of getting a bottle with a nozzle and diluting your shampoo in warm water. It will then be easy to push the nozzle through your hair to the scalp and apply in lines all over your scalp following the way your hair is falling (front to back if you're standing upright, back to front if you are bent forward).

I had a major shed following the death of my father in 2015, and by the end of 2016 I had lots of short growth standing out around my head with thin, straggly ends at tailbone. For that and other reasons, I got a slightly layered lob cut at shoulder to collarbone, and I'm so happy with it. I feel a lot better about how it looks now.

Anje
August 1st, 2017, 11:54 AM
For me, it turned out that those short bits all met at the point where my ponytail holder was going, and they had broken ends. I ended up swearing off ponytails for most of a decade, and found LHC not long later. :) Braids and buns are your friends.

Looking back, though, I'm sure my bad habit of "tightening" my daily ponytail (by grabbing two handfuls and pulling them toward my face) was surely contributing.

LinzDigital
August 1st, 2017, 11:48 PM
My hair is just like this! I have this short section that kind of grows in this patch, on the frontish left side of my head. Back when I really damaged my hair I first noticed it... and same with the frizz, I have wavy hair but curly frizz, and specifically a patch of hair that is very curly and a different texture which looks like crazy person frizz. Again, I thought it was all damage. But I have been babying my hair since I damaged in 2012, I have now grown out and cut off all the dye. It isn't damage traveling up because the hair grows in like this. I've watched. And that short patch, always has tapered ends like new growth. I've come to the conclusion that it might just be that my scalp is the equivalent of like a calico cat, patches of this and that. And that short bit, maybe thats just the terminal length of that particular patch. At this point, I (or you, and your hair?) don't have any other choice but to love it as my own unique thing. Its just there. Whatev's.

Do the hairs have tapered smooth ends for you? Could just be the nature of it.

As for the shampoo, yes! Same! I have the same issue. I still haven't quite figured that part out. I bought a shampoo brush and am trying to get a hang of using it correctly. I also get some extra shampoo and kind of lift up my hair and just glom it in there on the one greasy patch, then wash the rest and massage like regular. It still gets dirty way before everything else though. Not sure what the answer is.

Frankenstein
August 1st, 2017, 11:53 PM
About the short bits of hair: I have these as well, in tufts. It's annoying but they are just new growth. It's very possible that yours are, too.

akurah
August 2nd, 2017, 12:38 AM
For shampoo, I section my hair into quarters or quadrants. I don't preemptively do this, I do it while in the shower. I put a tiny bit of shampoo on each quadrant, give a very short blast of water from showerhead (very, very short blast, we're not trying to rinse), massage a bit, then I put more shampoo on after the blast of water and massaging. If I do it like this, I get a better lather than if I put the equivalent amount on my scalp all at once, and I'm able to spread it through more readily than if I applied it all at once in sort of a glob. And when I say better lather, I don't mean a little bit better, I mean it is night and day to compare.

omgitssarah
August 2nd, 2017, 03:00 PM
Hmm, could still have gotten caught in the scissors. And it's just the one piece? If so, then just leave it be. That's no reason to chop the rest of your hair off, unless you're looking for an excuse and just want to. ;):p I mean you did amazing coming all the way from a pixie cut, it would be a darn shame to lose all that length now.

No, it's several pieces like this, maybe 3 or 4. I'm not planning on cutting, I was just very frustrated with it when I made the thread! Thank you for your encouragement :flowers:

lapushka
August 2nd, 2017, 03:04 PM
No, it's several pieces like this, maybe 3 or 4. I'm not planning on cutting, I was just very frustrated with it when I made the thread! Thank you for your encouragement :flowers:

You're welcome! :) :o

Obsidian
August 2nd, 2017, 03:06 PM
Do you ever use barrett's? not too long ago I clipped my sides up in a barrett and a piece right at my temple got cut on the sharp edge, a had a little section that was around 1" while the rest was well over 6"

omgitssarah
August 2nd, 2017, 03:07 PM
Do the hairs have tapered smooth ends for you? Could just be the nature of it.

A few of the ends are blunt, like breakage, but the majority of them are tapered. I'm thinking I must have had a shed or something to contribute this much new growth all at once?

For shampoo, I section my hair into quarters or quadrants. I don't preemptively do this, I do it while in the shower. I put a tiny bit of shampoo on each quadrant, give a very short blast of water from showerhead (very, very short blast, we're not trying to rinse), massage a bit, then I put more shampoo on after the blast of water and massaging. If I do it like this, I get a better lather than if I put the equivalent amount on my scalp all at once, and I'm able to spread it through more readily than if I applied it all at once in sort of a glob. And when I say better lather, I don't mean a little bit better, I mean it is night and day to compare.

This seems like the best solution for my hair. Also, I always have to shampoo twice and I've found that the second shampoo always, always lathers worlds better and gets through the hair easier (though I still struggle with getting shampoo on some sections). I've tried diluted shampoo and while that might work for an initial lather to be followed by the quadrant method, I don't think it would get my hair clean enough on its own.

Do you ever use barrett's? not too long ago I clipped my sides up in a barrett and a piece right at my temple got cut on the sharp edge, a had a little section that was around 1" while the rest was well over 6"

Not often, but I just got a new one a couple of weeks ago. I don't think this barrette is the cause, but I will be very careful with it now! Eep!