PDA

View Full Version : help me learn to french twist

oatmeal1991
July 31st, 2017, 05:53 PM
So, though it is such a basic hairstyle, I really am struggling with the french twist/peacock twist! There's something about getting the "twist" correct that just does not click in my brain. I can never get the twist/roll running up and down the back of my head, instead it just ends up looking like I'm trying to start a cinnamon bun. My fine but thick almost WL hair really isn't good yet for many buns, and I don't love how I look with braids, so I really want to figure this out! Maybe I am starting too high on my head? I'd appreciate any input or your favorite video tutorials. My goal is to get something that looks like the lovely style two_wheels posted in the "signature styles" thread (I'll link below).

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=141671&page=2

akurah
July 31st, 2017, 06:22 PM
Waist length might be too long. I couldn't do french twists at that length anymore, at least not how they're usually done. I haven't mastered the longer hair variations.

Cg
July 31st, 2017, 07:13 PM
I've tried many methods -- most of them are on youtube. For the most part, those don't work well for me. Whatever the method, I need LOTS of anchors. Some folks use just a Ficcare or French twist comb.

One method I have not seen done but used successfully is:

1. Wrap hair ends around one long chopstick (I do this with about the bottom 1/3 of the length), and wrap to the ends. Use a death grip.
2. Clamp the other chopstick to the hair wad with a death grip and roll to the scalp.
3. Remove one chopstick.
4. Insert as many GripTuth combs as needed against scalp all along the entire length of the roll (I use 2 long ones and a short).
5. Holding the twist against your scalp, remove the second chopstick.
6. Insert as many GripTuth pins around the combs as needed (I typically use 8-10).

GripTuth makes a French twist kit, but I end up needing more than 1, sometimes more than 2. Their twist method does not work for me, but the way they anchor combs and pins I find effective.

As your hair lengthens, you will find that what works at one length may not work later. Sarahlabyrinth still does a French twist at past classic and thick hair, so it can obviously be done. Some textures are more accommodating than others.

peachyleshy
July 31st, 2017, 07:16 PM
I'd like to this too! I've tried out a few different tutorials, but none seem to hold very well. I did one today, but I ended up taking it down because it got uncomfortable. And now I'm starting to think that the longer my hair gets the harder it will be to do this style. I feel like it already sticks out weird on my head,
so with longer hair it will stick out even more. But I will follow this thread to see some longhair suggestions!

megthehennahead
July 31st, 2017, 11:14 PM
IT CAN BE DONE!

I had to do it for a dance, so I promise it can be done. At the time my hair was right at waist, and I also have that fine-strands-but-a-lot-of-them thickness I think you're talking about.

What I did was start with a loose English braid from the nape of my neck (yes braid first so you don't get weird ends sticking out) and then I folded the braid to the size that I wanted the twist to be (folded in thirds for me with the tail of the braid tucked under) and then tucked the braided lengths into the twist. It gives the same end result but you don't have to wrestle with all the length while doing the twist.

Also, I like to use the large U-shaped updo pins (?) that are like 2.5-3 inches long and insert them perpendicular to the scalp so they grab some of the twist and some of the scalp hair and then slide them under the twist.

Cg
August 1st, 2017, 09:37 AM
The straighter and more slippery the hair, the less well it holds a style, including this one. Most people who persevere will find a way to make it work, even if you can't use a pretty hairtoy to anchor it.

Anje
August 1st, 2017, 11:20 AM
The best I could ever manage was to gather a low ponytail, then grab the hair maybe 6-8 inches further down the length and twist a loop that went to the crown of my head, with the remaining length hanging down from under the roll at my nape. The doubled, looped length made the main roll a bit thicker (good for my thin-side-of-average hair) and a little less likely to give me a weird dinosaur crest on the top of my head. The remaining length would get twirled and sort of shoved in under the roll any whichway.

Best way I know to hold the darn thing is with a Ficcare, but you want to shove it into the smooth part, with the opening going toward the seam. Exactly the opposite direction you expect. It holds sooo much better that direction.
http://i.imgur.com/qbI22ON.jpg

ShilvaA
August 1st, 2017, 12:20 PM
https://s19.postimg.org/ptoi123qr/20170702_113018.jpg
(Sorry about the image size! Still getting used to posting and can't work out appropriate sizings)

This is my first atempt at a french twist... I am kinda happy wth it, no pins, just the stick.

If you figure out a really good way of doing this then please share as I want to master this too :)

twill
August 1st, 2017, 12:31 PM
Waist-length, here. It can be done. As for how it can be done... I'm not sure that I could explain it usefully. Lol.

oatmeal1991
August 1st, 2017, 04:20 PM
I'm a toy/accessory minimalist, so I think I'll try your way Anje, though I'll have to wait 'til Christmas as a Ficcare is very out of budget right now. ShilvaA , yours looks great, after YEARS of trying mine doesn't look anything like yours. How on earth do you keep it up with a stick?

I think a photo might help explain my biggest struggle, which is creating the roll in the first place. This is what happens every time I try. Not sure why the concept of twisting it upwards is sooooo difficult for me :rolleyes:

http://i.imgur.com/mUFrKxN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JZaMCEH.jpg?1

Arctic
August 1st, 2017, 04:56 PM
Have you tried the KarenLynn method of which Hypnotica has made a tutorial? It's much easier than the traditional method.

Your photos look like you haven't redistributed the hair over the smooth side.

Deborah
August 3rd, 2017, 01:34 AM
I find I just start a twist up the back of the head then just begin stuffing the hair into the twist. Even with very long hair you can just keep stuffing it in the twist until it is all contained, then pin or use spin pins, or whatever holding method works well for you. For me the key is to begin the original twist very loosely. This allows room for the hair you keep stuffing in.

lapushka
August 3rd, 2017, 03:15 PM
For a peacock twist, waist is definitely too long; you'd need to wrap it up log roll style (maybe look that style up).