PDA

View Full Version : Preferred length for hairsticks?

joyfulmom4
October 27th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I'm curious what everyone's preferred length for hairsticks is.

I find some of them too short and others too long. The short ones don't hold all styles while the too long ones get in the way and annoy me. But I do need them pretty long to function. I'm thinking maybe 7"-8" or so would be ideal?

How about you guys?

AJoifulNoise
October 27th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I prefer 5.5-6" useable length. No more than 7.5" overall length. Much longer than that and I become a danger to the general population. :lol:

Anne~
October 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM
My fave is 6". My hair is 45 inches long. I use Ketylo hair sticks most of the time I like the way they twist into my hair for a better hold. My next order will be 7 inch sticks because my hair is getting longer. Once I purchased 8 inch hair sticks that were straight and had to cut them down to 6 because they were in the way.

arylkin
October 27th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Yeah- 8" is really long for a hairstick. I use ones from 5- 6.5 inches depending on the style (although my hair is thinner than yours and not as long).

You can also try measuring with a pencil stuck in your hair and measure what the different lengths would be from that.

HotRag
October 27th, 2008, 11:17 AM
7 inches is what I like for now. They can be slightly shorter, but 7" feels best, so that hairs wont "loop over and out" of the stick.

shrimp
October 27th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I'm going to buck the trend :lol:

I can still just about get away with using 4.5 inch useable sticks - I prefer 6 inches and a minimum of 5.5 useable.

Anything longer than 6 inches really annoys me.

freznow
October 27th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I like long sticks. I have a pair of 'short' sticks in right now - they're about 6 inches, but with rather large toppers. 8 inch, including topper, is about my upper limit though.

Delila
October 27th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I still use shorter ones, and probably won't ever need anything beyond 6" no matter how long my hair gets, LOL. (Just a side benefit of having fine hair I suppose.)

lizzyjo
October 27th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I prefer shorter ones, like 4-6". My hair is fine and makes a small bun, so longer sticks aren't necessary and they look too big on me. Plus, I don't like when they stick out beyond the perimeter of my head.

Periwinkle
October 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM
5.5 to 6" useable length. If you can see it from the front, it's too long.

snowbear
October 27th, 2008, 03:12 PM
It depends on what it's for. My longest is 9", but my most common length is 7". (I have very thick TB hair, so I need extra length.)

Anje
October 27th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I like mine about 6" long, with or without decoration (yeah, I like simple unadorned sticks for most days). Any longer and they might become hazardous to those around me, and they're definitely long enough for any style my hair will do.

Catladyintown
October 27th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I like hair stick to be around 7 or 8 inches. But I also like big ones with toppers. But the minimum would be 6 inches. If any smaller they mainly fall out within the hour.

RavennaNight
October 27th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I actually like the look of longer hairsticks. I have a pair thats 7 in. I've tried shorter, but I just like the look of long hairsticks. I never thought about the hurting others part... Hmmm....

Blondiesturn
October 27th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I make my toys between 4.5" & 6" depending on whether I am pinning a half up or a whole updo.
Eevee

Islandgrrl
October 27th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I guess it depends on the hairtoy and what I'm using it for. I'm going to say between 4.5 and 6" functional length works okay for me.

chelles2kids
October 27th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I've found that I like just a tiny bit of my stick to show, so about a 5-5.5 inches is good for me.

Anything longer than that makes me feel like I might get it caught on something, or else it's sticking too far out from my head.:p

Rae~
October 27th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Most of my sticks are 6", which means they protrude from the bun at each end; but I don't mind that look. I have one super-long one, a littleover 8", and to be frank it's a bit too long for me.

I can get away with sticks as short as 5", but have chosen to go for the slightly longer ones since I do plan to eventually grow to tailbone, and hopefully the 6" sticks will still work for me then.

TheBlondeApple
October 27th, 2008, 10:38 PM
3-4 inches useable.
Anja

AprilElf
October 28th, 2008, 04:17 AM
6" usable length is pretty much perfect for me. :)

Finoriel
October 28th, 2008, 04:51 AM
6 inch usable works for most buns for me.
Chinese, firgure8, infinity or pinless bun require 7 or 8 inch though.

Calanthe
October 28th, 2008, 05:16 AM
3 to five inches works fine for me. A few sticks are a bit longer but I rarely wear them, because that's much too long for me.

Marie99
November 1st, 2008, 05:25 PM
About 5-6 inches. I have very thick BSL hair. Having said that, I do have a pair of actual chopsticks with mother of pearl inlays and I've never put anyone's eye out. I do work about them tearing the headrest in the car or furniture upholstery.

I have used actual pencils and got one of them caught in a chain on a door. This happened because I like to use 2 sticks. I was standing with my back to the door ready to open it and leave and got each pencil in a loop of chain. No, I don't know how that happened. I was so embarrassed.

Diamondbell
April 8th, 2009, 12:07 AM
It depends on the updo:
For Chinese braided bun : 7" hairsticks
For Wrapped Stick Bun (Isylia) : 7" hairsticks
For Double Figure 8/Double braided bun (i.e. two buns on both sides): 5" hairsticks
For KL Knot, Orchid bun, Celtic knot, Rope Braided bun: 5" or 6" hairsticks
Braided bun, Infinity Bun : 5" or 6" or 7" hairsticks

Phalaenopsis
April 8th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I don't like them to be too long, so I use medium Ketylos for example, those are 6 inches. I have thickish BSL-length hair.

KnightsLady
April 8th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I like 6-7". 7" at most when including a decorative topper, 6"-6.5" if it doesn't have a decorative topper. Perhaps 7" is a little long at present, but I'm planning ahead for when I've got more hair. :eyebrows: ETA: I can't see needing anything longer than 7 even if I had hair to my knees.

kdaniels8811
April 8th, 2009, 09:39 AM
My favorite sticks I reach for all the time are 4" mei fas - wearing them right now! My hair is fine and BSL so anything over 5" sticks out too much. I prefer the short ones and am constantly looking for some.

Jessaka
April 8th, 2009, 01:38 PM
5-7 usable is good for me. 5 is for my half up bun, and 7 is for my full buns. I have one stick that has an overall length of 9 and it's okay haha...but I strictly use that for full buns.

bjt
April 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
5 to 6.5" is all for me... I don't like anything sticking out too far from my hair.

Cinnamon Hair
April 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM
My ideal length is 6.5" Wearable is anything from 5" to 7" although I can use Mei Fa's (usually need pins as backup) which are a bit under 5" usable length.

CindyLea1
April 8th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I guess I'm the odd one. I use rosewood chopsticks they are 9 7/8ths inches long. I love them!

darkwaves
April 8th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Depends what my hair is like that day, and what I plan to do with it!

If it's freshly washed and curly and I want a big, loose style, long is good. Six, or even seven, or ...

If it's more subdued, and I want a controlled look, 4.5 or 5" useable length is great.

(Forget one-size-fit-all... one size doesn't even fit me!)

Kerri
April 9th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I like 5.5 to 6 inches total length best. Wearable length should be at least 5 inches. Anything that sticks out out of my bun more than 1 inch is a danger for myself and others ;) Even with shorter sticks I keep constantly bumping into things - and people. :o

- Kerri.

janeytilllie
April 9th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I like shorter length sticks. I like 4-6 inch in length :)