PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to elastics?

Renora25
July 30th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Hi Everyone!

I am currently about 1" away from shoulder, so not all of my hair goes up into ponytail/bun. However, I am trying not to use elastics because last time I grew out my hair, I noticed some damage where I usually tied up my hair. What does everyone use to secure your hair that is not a hair elastic? Currently I am using a freaking gigantic (for my short hair) claw clip. Which is fine, but is overkill for my little strands.

LizzyGrant
July 30th, 2017, 08:56 AM
How about scrunchies, if you don't mind that look? I haven't noticed any damage from them. I usually tie my braid with them. Or you could try silk ribbons, but maybe you need to wait your hair gets a little longer. If you use elastics, buy the ones without metal or sharp edges. Something that is flexible and soft. You could also make your own :D

Madora
July 30th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Perhaps two barrettes (the all in one kind w/o hinges). I don't think a single one piece barrette would work on very short hair. Here's a link:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1097&bih=550&q=goody+hair+barrettes&oq=Goody&gs_l=img.1.0.35i39k1l2j0l8.4039.5589.0.7931.7.7.0. 0.0.0.191.804.0j5.5.0....0...1.1.64.img..2.5.784.0 .W9WYm018_fs#imgrc=R3O0SzJoE9HTgM:&spf=1501427227477

lapushka
July 30th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Hi Everyone!

I am currently about 1" away from shoulder, so not all of my hair goes up into ponytail/bun. However, I am trying not to use elastics because last time I grew out my hair, I noticed some damage where I usually tied up my hair. What does everyone use to secure your hair that is not a hair elastic? Currently I am using a freaking gigantic (for my short hair) claw clip. Which is fine, but is overkill for my little strands.

What kind of "elastics" are you using? The rubber tiny kind? Those, I'm not surprised, can be damaging. The cloth kind is usually OK to use, but I agree that scrunchies might be better if you wear tight styles.

Joyful Mystery
July 30th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Another vote for scrunchies. I also really like those super stretchy fabric hair ties.

Larki
July 30th, 2017, 10:38 AM
I mostly use tiny terrycloth ones for the ends of braids, or if I use the clear silicone elastics, I only wrap it just tight enough not to fall off and carefully slide it out when I'm ready to take the braid out. You can also dip your fingertip in coconut oil or any oil and jist touch the elastic, it will instantly dissolve the silicone and break it for easy removal. For updos I use claw clips or hair sticks or Flexi-8s.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 30th, 2017, 10:49 AM
A flexi 8 might work for your length. A small or medium depending on your hair texture.

Nique1202
July 30th, 2017, 01:15 PM
What kind of "elastics" are you using? The rubber tiny kind? Those, I'm not surprised, can be damaging. The cloth kind is usually OK to use, but I agree that scrunchies might be better if you wear tight styles.

Whereas I find the opposite. Thread-covered (whether they have metal joints or not) and cloth elastics (both the little terry cloth ones and the ones that look like pieces of nylon pantyhose) cause massive friction damage on my hair, while the latex and silicone ones are as near to damage-free as I've ever tried.

I guess what it comes down to is that, as with most things on the forum, everyone's hair is different and there are lots of different kinds of elastics out there. Trying any different kind might give you better (or worse) results than you've had in the past.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 30th, 2017, 01:49 PM
Whereas I find the opposite. Thread-covered (whether they have metal joints or not) and cloth elastics (both the little terry cloth ones and the ones that look like pieces of nylon pantyhose) cause massive friction damage on my hair, while the latex and silicone ones are as near to damage-free as I've ever tried.

I guess what it comes down to is that, as with most things on the forum, everyone's hair is different and there are lots of different kinds of elastics out there. Trying any different kind might give you better (or worse) results than you've had in the past.

Same, i find the "damage" I see from the small rubber elastics is usually from removing them incorrectly or tying too tight, its usually avoidable. I see less damage from them and they look nicer on my thin braid.
I rip more hair out with the ribbon and fold elastics that are supposed to be more safe for hair. Everyone is different, gotta try all your options.

Lady Stardust
July 30th, 2017, 02:12 PM
I use a Scunci claw clip for fine hair, it's low profile so sits close to the head, and the hinge is covered so it looks neat and less chance of catching hair in the hinges.

Mini claw clips are good too.

My hair isn't long enough for a ponytail yet but I'll probably just use a barrette to do a peacock twist.

animetor7
July 30th, 2017, 08:48 PM
I don't know if your hair is long enough yet, but a paranda is a fabulous alternative for protecting ends while securing a braid. Maybe if you french braid your hair you could braid one in. My paranda and braiding in ribbons to use for securing are my favorite methods for braids that completely protect my ends.

TatsuOni
July 31st, 2017, 10:24 AM
Invisibobbles are also better than regular elastics.

Anje
July 31st, 2017, 11:25 AM
Weirdly, the flat silicone bands cause damage for me (mostly in the form of tangles and crimped hairs), but the colorful "poly" ones with a square cross-section don't cause me similar issues. For ponytails though, I'd go after the all-fabric bands. Check dollar stores for cheap ones. I also had a lot of ponytail damage when I first joined LHC, but I think that came from wearing a ponytail every day for literally years, and from "tightening" the ponytail by pulling two sections of it toward my face. Be careful to avoid that tightening habit!

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about ponytail damage for a few months. It can absolutely be a problem, but I tend to see it as a long-term thing. Also, see if you can get a french braid to work. Often you can do one (and definitely two) french braids that will hold before you can get all the hair in a ponytail, but it takes a bit of practice.

Dendra
July 31st, 2017, 02:14 PM
I can recommend these:

http://www.brandymelville.co.uk/assorted-hair-tie-set-1.html

They're soft and non-damaging, without that really strong elastic that gives your hair the death grip.

megthehennahead
July 31st, 2017, 04:06 PM
I really like this kind of hair ties! These ones that look like ribbons with a knot in them. In my hair, at least, they pull far fewer hairs than regular thread covered elastics or the silicone elastics do.

https://www.target.com/p/global-ribbon-hair-ties-5pcs/-/A-52104867#lnk=sametab

I find that they do stretch out some, but when they get stretched I use them for holding braids, buns, or other styles that don't need as tight of a hold as a ponytail.

enting
August 1st, 2017, 06:17 PM
Once upon a time I used to have something like this, only it was hinged like a claw clip rather than clipping together like a banana clip.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/de/0f/d0/de0fd0c3cfc45a2c29a8646b98481a2e.jpg

I used it a lot for ponytails. I don't know if such a thing would be less damaging for your hair than elastics, but it might be worth a try.
There are similar things that are decorated, too.

ETA: I found what I used to have! It was this, exactly, only I had it in tortoiseshell brown.
https://www.ellu.com/products/orange-pony-tail-holder-fish-clip-hair-claw-clamp-grip-girls-womens-accessories

ReadingRenee
August 1st, 2017, 11:07 PM
ETA: I found what I used to have! It was this, exactly, only I had it in tortoiseshell brown.
https://www.ellu.com/products/orange-pony-tail-holder-fish-clip-hair-claw-clamp-grip-girls-womens-accessories

I have two of these and I LOVE them! I have a black one and a brown one. Im pretty sure I got mine at Walgreens a few months ago. They are great for ponytails and buns on my finer hair because they open so wide but clamp down pretty small.

iforgotmylogin
August 2nd, 2017, 01:19 AM
This idea might be a bit out there, but you could use anything stringy and INelastic, if you twist it with a pin or similar then tuck it back under the stringy thingy. I used to use elastic to hold tobacco pouches closed but they would eventually break, so I switched to using a lace + twist & fold-under. I've no idea how it'd work on hair but being that all you have to do to release the tension is pull the pin out, instead of manipulating an elastic

enting
August 2nd, 2017, 03:50 AM
I have two of these and I LOVE them! I have a black one and a brown one. Im pretty sure I got mine at Walgreens a few months ago. They are great for ponytails and buns on my finer hair because they open so wide but clamp down pretty small.

They still exist in brick and mortar stores? I am so happy right now. I lost mine years ago and still miss it on occasion.

Renora25
August 2nd, 2017, 06:11 AM
Thanks everyone for all of the wonderful suggestions! My hair seems to be a tad too short for many of them. But I will keep all of these in mind for the journey!