PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with Curly hair

longmane
July 29th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Hi everyone:)

I did some research and tried the curly girl method and wash& go styling. Since then up until february 2017 I have been following the CG method and liked how my hair looked but as my hair got longer. but after my hair got longer it started to get tangled in wash and go and i have single strand knots all over my hair. sometimes one hair has Single Strand Knot in two places! I've came to the conclusion that wash and go's were causing all this single strand knots which were a problem because my hair would get so tangled that it would SNAP when i am detangling. I want to grow my hair long and i don't want breakage so i decided to not do wash and go anymore and keep my hair in braids then put it in a bun when i am going out. this has helped immensely that i have ZERO tangles and knots when i am detangling my hair but the problem is hair looks flat at the top when i try to wear braid outs which makes me always put it in a bun. Since I found long hair community I have been inspired to grow hip length hair and it made me think maybe hair will not grow as long as hip if I keep wearing wash and go that are causing tangles leading to breakege. My hair is growing but I keep thinking my hair it is not a type that grows long lengths like hip so I should just enjoy it and wear it out styling it in a wash and go instead of protective styling.

longmane
July 29th, 2017, 09:38 PM
sorry i meant February 2017 is when i stopped wash and go's

Sarahlabyrinth
July 30th, 2017, 12:45 AM
Hi, and welcome here :) I'm sure some of the curly people can help you out!

CrowningGlory
July 30th, 2017, 04:12 AM
Your hair is lovely and looks extremely healthy. I have seen your hair type at hip length so don't give up yet. I'm thinking you must be at least waist when wet? Your hair type will always appear shorter due to the curls springing up but you have obviously had good growth.

I'm not a curly but I think moisture and protection are critical.

lapushka
July 30th, 2017, 04:45 AM
this is may 2017
https://postimg.org/image/w3spnrtsv/

this was the first time i saw my hair curly. I did some research and tried the curly girl method and wash& go styling. Since then up until february 2016 I have been following the CG method and liked how my hair looked but as my hair got longer. but after my hair got longer it started to get tangled in wash and go and i have single strand knots all over my hair. sometimes one hair has Single Strand Knot in two places! I've came to the conclusion that wash and go's were causing all this single strand knots which were a problem because my hair would get so tangles that it would SNAP when i am detangling. I want to grow my hair long and i don't want breakage so i decided to not do wash and go anymore and keep my hair in braids then put it in a bun when i am going out. this has helped immensely that i have ZERO tangles and knots when i am detangling my hair but the problem is i hair looks flat at the top when i try to wear braid outs which makes me always put it in a bun and i haven't worn a wash and go or wore my hair out for four months because i am so scared of tangles. Since I found long hair community I have been inspired to grow hip length hair and it made me think maybe hair will not grow as long as hip if I keep wearing wash and go that are causing tangles leading to breakege. my hair is growing but I keep thinking my hair is not a type that grows long lengths like hip so should just enjoy it and wear it out styling it in a wash and go instead of protective styling.

That is pretty hair! :D Looks to me like you have a good routine, at least that is what the hair is telling me.

You grew out from chin/shoulder length, so that is telling me it does grow, and well too!

vega
July 30th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Can I ask when your last micro trim was? I have same hair type as you and had encountered breakage an single strand knots , what's really helped me is micro trim every 4 mths my hair is more resilient stronger and finally growing at fast rate as I'm no longer breaking my hair, also what detangling too do you use?

reilly0167
July 30th, 2017, 08:00 AM
Hello and welcome curl friend:) my hair is curly as well and I found that what used to work before, doesn't really work now for me as it (hair) grows longer. So I have to find other methods to tame the beast. I do a co-wash, the rinse out oil method and deep condition once a week, used carols daughters milk leave in after a wash and clarify with suave clarifying shampoo whenever my hair feels build up. Just last week I decided to damp braid at night, three dutch braids, two on each side then the middle, that way I don't get flat parts down the middle I used to get with just two, This helps greatly and it saves time in the morning to get ready for work:D and gives me awesome braid waves; Gentle detangling is a must with the widest tooth comb you can find. There are threads on this forum for curlies that are very helpful:) your hair is beautiful and your goal can be achievable.

longmane
July 30th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Thank you, I have saw a big improvement since I stopped heat styling. The ends of my hair are waist when I stretch it wet.

longmane
July 30th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Vega- the last time I trimmed was Eight months ago and I only trimmed twice since I cut my hair. I am really Suprised I don't get split ends since I stopped heat styling. I even went through my hair trying to find split ends but I don't have any. My only problem is single strand knots and trimming an inch or half an inch were not helping because the knots are not all at the same length. I will find strands that have knots 2-4 inches away from the ends and some that even Knotted higher.

longmane
July 30th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Vega- I forgot to mention I use wide tooth comb to detangle with conditioner before I shampoo then follow with another conditioning and I do this twice a week.

school of fish
July 30th, 2017, 12:56 PM
I can't offer any advice as my texture is polar opposite to yours but I just want to say that I LOVE your hair!!!

vega
July 30th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Longmane your case sounds exactly what I had been through cowash didn't work for me either,are you at least snipping off those single stranded knots? Cause my single strand knot were knotting together with other hairs ,also 8 months is along time without doing micro trim I stopped breakage hugely by opting in micro trims cause even if my ends weren't split they felt weaker as they had been oldest hair strand.Now my ends are doing better, good luck also are you using sulphate free?

longmane
July 30th, 2017, 03:36 PM
I can't offer any advice as my texture is polar opposite to yours but I just want to say that I LOVE your hair!!!

Thank you :o

longmane
July 30th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Longmane your case sounds exactly what I had been through cowash didn't work for me either,are you at least snipping off those single stranded knots? Cause my single strand knot were knotting together with other hairs ,also 8 months is along time without doing micro trim I stopped breakage hugely by opting in micro trims cause even if my ends weren't split they felt weaker as they had been oldest hair strand.Now my ends are doing better, good luck also are you using sulphate free?

yes, it's almost like the knots are attracting each other and the hair snaps when I try to separate the hairs. If you've also experienced I am guessing it has to do with curly hair. Did you find a way to minimize them? Do you do more micro trimming or search&destroying? Yes I use sulphate free

vega
July 30th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Yes I've been doing micro trims every 3 months not taking off much ,but keeping damage at bay this has really worked for me and if I do tangle they are managable

enting
August 2nd, 2017, 05:36 AM
I consider single strand knots just part of the territory with curly hair. I do trim them off when I S&D because they do create friction and breakage in my hair.
Do you try to detangle by combing downwards or by pulling the strands to the sides? Gently, slowly separating hairs by pulling them apart rather than trying to comb downwards seems to help me. Oiling my ends also helps by giving the hairs more slip, but that will probably depend on how much your hair likes oils, and which specific oils your hair likes. Some oils just make everything stickier for me, while others add shine and slip and make detangling much easier. I do try to trim every few months or so, because my ends get so velcro-ey.

Hairkay
August 2nd, 2017, 05:57 AM
I also do S & D to get rid of single strand knots. The nature of tight curls makes it easier to knot. That's part of the reason I don't wear my hair loose very often. I've had two knots on strands too. The latest thing is two strands that curl around each other until they knot. That happens at the last cm of hair ends. Sometimes I've contributed to that by trying to rush my finger detangling but other times it just happens. I with you on the knots causing problems later. Shed hair can get stuck on mine then when I see a strand of hair longer than the rest and attempt to pull it out seeing the hair stretch to my knees yet still feel a tug at the scalp then I know something is up. Usually a check will reveal the shed hair knotted to the end of a strand still attached to my head. Lint can also get stuck on knots.

I've seen that some stretch out the hair ends using curlers to try to stop those knots. I don't know how successful that is because I haven't tried it. Constantly wearing curlers dangling at hair ends sound very inconvenient to me.

The top of your hair looking flat is all to to with longer hair being heavy and gravity. It hangs more.

leayellena
August 2nd, 2017, 07:02 AM
Try moisturising your hair more. Have you tried leave-ins and/or co-wash? Forget the trend about "hair falling flat", they don't care how healthy their hair is because they go to hairdresser every month and they keep the hair at the same length all the time. Wear your hair up or braid it. Have you tried a natural saloon? They should know how to handle your hair.

longmane
August 2nd, 2017, 04:23 PM
I consider single strand knots just part of the territory with curly hair. I do trim them off when I S&D because they do create friction and breakage in my hair.
Do you try to detangle by combing downwards or by pulling the strands to the sides? Gently, slowly separating hairs by pulling them apart rather than trying to comb downwards seems to help me. Oiling my ends also helps by giving the hairs more slip, but that will probably depend on how much your hair likes oils, and which specific oils your hair likes. Some oils just make everything stickier for me, while others add shine and slip and make detangling much easier. I do try to trim every few months or so, because my ends get so velcro-ey.

When I am detangling I start from the bottom and work my way up like the curly girl method. when the tangles are gone I run the comb from top to bottom the last time. If I have many strands tangled together I try to separate before I comb through it. Like you said I guess i will always have single strand knots to some degree. Now I use shea butter and grapeseed oil mix which makes my hair soft and it seems to help with the single single strand. the only con is shea butter feels heavy on my hair and it makes it flat but for now I will just continue using it because tangles are more problem than that.

Nymphe
August 2nd, 2017, 04:57 PM
What helps reduce the number of SSKs I get is oil rinsing and using gel. I use gel every once in a while, but the oil rinsing is a must. There is a whole thread on it (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191) and you can use your grapeseed for a start. You do not have to use much since the water helps spread it around.

Oil Rinsing for Beginners (It's Easier Than You Think) (https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/home/oil-rinsing-for-beginners-its-easier-than-you-think/)

Oil Rinse: What Is It & Why You Need To Do It (http://www.naturalhairrules.com/oil-rinse/)

longmane
August 2nd, 2017, 05:05 PM
Try moisturising your hair more. Have you tried leave-ins and/or co-wash? Forget the trend about "hair falling flat", they don't care how healthy their hair is because they go to hairdresser every month and they keep the hair at the same length all the time. Wear your hair up or braid it. Have you tried a natural saloon? They should know how to handle your hair.

Do you mean moisturizing the hair between washes? I haven't done that. I apply leave in conditioner and shea butter when I wash my hair and don't apply anything until that wears off which takes about 3 days and wash it again. OMG thanks for reminding me, I do find myself falling on the curly hair trends sometimes. In the first picture when I cut my hair blunt no layers, I hair had that ''dreaded'' triangle shape. Now when I think about it if I did layer my hair then, I would've had to grow those layers out because I would like my hair one length for fullness when it is long. I was researching about natural hair salons and watched a couple of videos of the curly hair cuts. Most of them seem to following trends fixing ''hair falling flat'' like you said. If the gravity and heaviness of the length is what is making my hair flat like Hairkay said, I don't want to sacrifice length to get that voluminous look. I guess I'll continue wearing buns to grow to the length I want.

longmane
August 2nd, 2017, 05:09 PM
Thank you very much everyone,I appreciate all of your replies and taking your time to help me.

leayellena
August 3rd, 2017, 12:06 AM
how do you wavies out there measure your hair length? mine goes to already hip when wet but always on waist when dry. it confuses me and IŽd need some help. thx in advance.

lapushka
August 3rd, 2017, 06:31 AM
What helps reduce the number of SSKs I get is oil rinsing and using gel. I use gel every once in a while, but the oil rinsing is a must. There is a whole thread on it (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191) and you can use your grapeseed for a start. You do not have to use much since the water helps spread it around.

Oil Rinsing for Beginners (It's Easier Than You Think) (https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/home/oil-rinsing-for-beginners-its-easier-than-you-think/)

Oil Rinse: What Is It & Why You Need To Do It (http://www.naturalhairrules.com/oil-rinse/)

Oh BTW, the link to the rinse-out oil (oil rinse) thread on this forum is in my signature, should you want to look through that here. :) Oh what a dummy am I, I see that Nymphe already linked to it. Duh. Silly me. <ignore> :lol: