PDA

View Full Version : my scalp

LauraLongLocks
July 29th, 2017, 02:29 PM
No matter if I just washed my hair, or if it has been days since my last wash, my scalp is itchy. When I scratch, I get white to light yellow gunk under my nails. The gunk seems oilier when it has been a few days since my last wash. I don't know if it's because it's too oily or too dry, since it doesn't seem to matter whether I've just washed or not. I've tried tea tree oil (both adding some to my normal shampoo and buying shampoos that have it already), dandruff shampoos (Selsun Blue, Head & Shoulders, and T-Gel), clarifying shampoos, moisturizing shampoos, expensive salon shampoos, cheap Suave shampoos, co-washing, oiling my scalp, going longer between washing (7 days being my longest interval), washing every day, and everything in between. I have tiny little white bits coming off from my scalp. I wouldn't call them flaky and scaly at all. Just little tiny bits the size of the head of a needle.

Ideas?

ETA: I've always had this problem since I can remember.

meteor
July 29th, 2017, 02:42 PM
I know that this isn't always the most effective or easiest option, but maybe you can have a doctor look at your scalp? It's entirely possible that a prescription lotion can help you. :flower:
Also, if it turns out that it's SD, I see that in your list of dandruff shampoos you've tried, you have tried these actives - selenium sulfide, zinc pyrithione, tea tree and coal tar, but many people get better relief from ketoconazole-based products (e.g. Nizoral 2%). Sometimes, if one ingredient doesn't give full relief, you may need to try a few anti-fungals or even combine them for SD flare-ups.
(And if you apply anti-fungals, it's important to use full concentration (no dilution of anti-dandruff shampoos) and use for as long as prescribed, following the frequency recommended, etc...)

Good luck! :blossom: And I hope you get some relief for your scalp soon! :pray:

Reyn127
July 29th, 2017, 02:47 PM
I was having that problem for a while, myself. Like it's kind of oily and you're getting bits that are almost gritty or feel like a tiny blackhead nodule? I am not sure what caused it, but I did notice that, for myself, it was exacerbated by a few things: 1) Continuing to itch it made it worse. Making an effort to stop scratching helped immensely after a few weeks. 2) Shampooing too often. If I washed my hair every day or every other day, it would get WAY worse. 3) Not washing often enough. If I stretched my washes over 4-5 days my scalp would get irritated and such.

I have a theory that for me, it had something to do with shampoo or conditioner causing irritation, because I haven't had it occur since I stopped using them. I really hope you don't have to go through too much (more) experimentation to figure this out. Good luck!

lapushka
July 29th, 2017, 03:43 PM
I know that this isn't always the most effective or easiest option, but maybe you can have a doctor look at your scalp? It's entirely possible that a prescription lotion can help you. :flower:
Also, if it turns out that it's SD, I see that in your list of dandruff shampoos you've tried, you have tried these actives - selenium sulfide, zinc pyrithione, tea tree and coal tar, but many people get better relief from ketoconazole-based products (e.g. Nizoral 2%). Sometimes, if one ingredient doesn't give full relief, you may need to try a few anti-fungals or even combine them for SD flare-ups.
(And if you apply anti-fungals, it's important to use full concentration (no dilution of anti-dandruff shampoos) and use for as long as prescribed, following the frequency recommended, etc...)

Good luck! :blossom: And I hope you get some relief for your scalp soon! :pray:

I fully agree with meteor. SD can often "appear" dry when it's not dry at all, but oily. And trust me it can look so dry you think it's the exact opposite!!!

That is why having a doctor take a look is key.

Nizoral 2% is a Godsend for me, nothing else ever worked that well as this. And no, no dilution, and you have to use it as prescribed!

spidermom
July 29th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Clarifying wash followed by diluted white vinegar rinse?

Kellylee
July 29th, 2017, 04:44 PM
I would visit a dermatologist.

Pearly~91
July 29th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Have you ever tried going sulfate free?

My whole life I had an itchy sore scalp with tiny white flakes, until I started using sulfate free shampoo about a year ago.
For about 2 months I shampooed twice, first with a sulfate free shampoo, then with over the counter nizoral. That seemed to help balance out whatever was happening on my scalp. And now I just use a sulfate free shampoo, and if I start having trouble with my scalp use nizoral once or twice.

It's made a huge difference for me. I don't get sore spots, white flecs, or itches anymore. I even shed less now.

Dark40
July 29th, 2017, 08:04 PM
I would try an ACV rinse after every wash.

Dark40
July 29th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Have you ever tried going sulfate free?

My whole life I had an itchy sore scalp with tiny white flakes, until I started using sulfate free shampoo about a year ago.
For about 2 months I shampooed twice, first with a sulfate free shampoo, then with over the counter nizoral. That seemed to help balance out whatever was happening on my scalp. And now I just use a sulfate free shampoo, and if I start having trouble with my scalp use nizoral once or twice.

It's made a huge difference for me. I don't get sore spots, white flecs, or itches anymore. I even shed less now.

Hey, I'm also trying to aim for Midthigh Length too! When I first joined this forum I was aiming for Classic Length but I've decided to try for a little bit longer in length. I'll see how I can handle it at Midthigh Length, and if I can grow longer I will grow to my ankles.

LauraLongLocks
July 29th, 2017, 08:38 PM
There have been some good suggestions here. Thank you. I'll make an appointment with my doctor and see what I might find out. I did google SD, and the images I saw aren't anything like what I have going on with my scalp. I did try sulfate free shampoos, but my scalp got oilier and very pissed off, haha! I ended up with pimples galore and the itching worsened. SD looks way more severe than anything I've dealt with. Quite possibly the ACV or white distilled vinegar could help restore the acid mantle after shampooing. I'll try it and see if my scalp becomes happier.

meteor
July 29th, 2017, 08:49 PM
^ It might be worth mentioning that pictures of skin conditions on google tend to show more extreme cases, otherwise there wouldn't be that much to actually easily visually identify as SD. I think the itchiness itself and the fact that sulfate free gentle shampoos make it worse rather than better can be sort of typical for SD in some cases. If you get any relief at all from anti-dandruff shampoos, I'd keep using them and maybe get a stronger one (like Nizoral 2%) until you see a doctor - the doctor may give you a prescription for something tailored and hopefully more effective (like higher dose anti-fungals), but, to be perfectly honest, around here doctors often discount milder cases of SD and simply recommend anti-dandruff shampoo. Still always worth trying it with a doctor first. :flower: (After all, it could be something else entirely. Like possibly a reaction to some ingredients, but then... giving it a break from frequent washing should have given some relief instead of making it worse. Hard to tell without a visit to a doctor...)

lithostoic
July 29th, 2017, 08:51 PM
That sounds like scalp buildup.

Before your next wash, part your hair into sections and comb your scalp with a fine-toothed comb. Then when you shampoo, make sure you get everywhere and lather it really well. Let it sit a little longer. And rinse it out really really well, making sure to lift your hair up and get your scalp. Do not put conditioner where it can touch your scalp.

Hope this helps.

pandabarrier
July 30th, 2017, 07:19 AM
There have been some good suggestions here. Thank you. I'll make an appointment with my doctor and see what I might find out. I did google SD, and the images I saw aren't anything like what I have going on with my scalp. I did try sulfate free shampoos, but my scalp got oilier and very pissed off, haha! I ended up with pimples galore and the itching worsened. SD looks way more severe than anything I've dealt with. Quite possibly the ACV or white distilled vinegar could help restore the acid mantle after shampooing. I'll try it and see if my scalp becomes happier.

I found out that using an applicator bottle to pour diluted ACV on the scalp and rubbing the ACV on the scalp gently with my fingers helps keep my scalp calm.

lapushka
July 30th, 2017, 09:30 AM
^ It might be worth mentioning that pictures of skin conditions on google tend to show more extreme cases, otherwise there wouldn't be that much to actually easily visually identify as SD. I think the itchiness itself and the fact that sulfate free gentle shampoos make it worse rather than better can be sort of typical for SD in some cases. If you get any relief at all from anti-dandruff shampoos, I'd keep using them and maybe get a stronger one (like Nizoral 2%) until you see a doctor - the doctor may give you a prescription for something tailored and hopefully more effective (like higher dose anti-fungals), but, to be perfectly honest, around here doctors often discount milder cases of SD and simply recommend anti-dandruff shampoo. Still always worth trying it with a doctor first. :flower: (After all, it could be something else entirely. Like possibly a reaction to some ingredients, but then... giving it a break from frequent washing should have given some relief instead of making it worse. Hard to tell without a visit to a doctor...)

Exactly that. Only a doctor can diagnose SD. And the pictures you find on Google - it's nothing like what I have, and still I have SD. Dry flaky scaly patches between my roots. With flakes of a couple of mm to half a cm sometimes. Sometimes even yellowish flakes. Last time I busted out the Nizoral was a couple of weeks ago, it was white and dry at my temples, and I had mistaken it for dry skin. I am not dry. I'm oily. So I should have put some *thought* into it. I left the Nizoral on for 10 min. (because the insert said 5 to 10) and then I re-washed with H&S because the Nizoral for some reason barely sudsed up and I had to use a lot of it. And my skin was clear after that! I know in the US you need a prescription for Nizoral 2%, but at least you guys have the 1% OTC. Here we *only* have the 2% on the market and it is OTC at the pharmacy (about 12 euro for a 100ml bottle).

spidermom
July 30th, 2017, 10:17 AM
What the doctor diagnosed as DS for me looked like a cluster of tiny red bumps that cleared completely with a prescription for ketoconazole shampoo, which my hair loved (strangely enough). It was like a conditioning treatment.

LauraLongLocks
July 30th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I'll make an appointment with my doctor as soon as I can afford another medical bill. I had knee surgery earlier this year and I'm in a lot of medical debt due to that. In the meantime, I do get some relief from Selsun Blue, and I'll look and see if I can find the OTC Nizoral. Thank you all so much!

KlutzyChy1
July 31st, 2017, 01:03 PM
Please let us know if you find out what is going on with your scalp because it sounds exactly like what I've been struggling with!

Becs
July 31st, 2017, 01:56 PM
I have to agree with klutzychy1, I feel like I could have written your original post Laura! Best of luck and do let us know if you're able to resolve the issue

lapushka
July 31st, 2017, 02:06 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I'll make an appointment with my doctor as soon as I can afford another medical bill. I had knee surgery earlier this year and I'm in a lot of medical debt due to that. In the meantime, I do get some relief from Selsun Blue, and I'll look and see if I can find the OTC Nizoral. Thank you all so much!

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope your knee heals well! :)

If the Selsun Blue does something, don't forget to mention it to the doctor. OTC Nizoral might not be strong enough, or it might work. Who knows. You can't but try!

Good luck!

DinaAG
July 31st, 2017, 02:37 PM
Have u tried vinegar rise? i also put it in a bottle with a little water and spray it on my roots between washes it helps a lot

MusicalSpoons
July 31st, 2017, 04:08 PM
Oh my goodness, your scalp sounds almost exactly like mine! I've tried normal anti-dundruff shampoos and all sorts of other 'calming', 'balancing' shampoos and nothing helps. I have stuck with sulphate-free shampoos though because my scalp tolerates them enough that the benefit of having less greasy hair is worth it.

I have actually been to see a doctor (after over a year of trying to deal with it myself) but all she said was 'you seem to be prone to dry skin, try this steroid lotion' which I didn't bother to try, because when I tried to clarify what she thought it was that would call for steroid application - allergic reaction? Eczema/SD? - she just said 'dry skin' :ponder: [I also wanted to pursue more natural potential methods before trying whatever the steroid lotion was, but I haven't been able to put anything into a routine that works yet.]

I'll have to have a look for Nizoral or whatever the UK equivalent might be. LauraLongLocks, please keep us updated with how you get on, and I too hope your knee heals well.

KlutzyChy1
July 31st, 2017, 04:38 PM
Goodness, I've tried all of these things as well. I tried H&S, Selsun Blue, Nizoral 1% & a prescription Nizoral 2%. All of the over the counter anti-dandruff shampoos seem to really irritate my scalp. I went to a dermatologist about a year ago who very, very briefly looked at my scalp & diagnosed me with SD. He barely gave me the time of the day & would not even look at me when I spoke to him. I've read countless threads & posts from people who struggle with SD & mine doesn't sound like anything that they describe. I don't have any redness, no scalp pimples, no sores, no crusting or oozing, no big flakes. The only thing that is similar is the oiliness of my scalp. The 'flakes' that I get are just like LauraLongLocks described, not really flakes at all, just little tiny white bits. I'm wondering if it's possible that maybe I have a sensitivity to sulfates in shampoos or another ingredient. The only shampoos I use at the moment that don't irritate my scalp are 2 different brands of tea tree shampoo that are sulfate free. I have very sensitive skin & have to be careful with what face products I use so I'm wondering if it could be the same for my scalp. I even tried to use more higher end shampoos like Matrix & that was a disaster that made me shed loads and wreaked havoc on my poor scalp. Anyway, I hope you find a solution to this soon & that your knee heals up well :heart:

LauraLongLocks
August 3rd, 2017, 04:24 PM
I also don't have any crusting or oozing or big flakes. My scalp is oily, and it will get pimply, sore, angry and inflamed if I don't wash it often enough or use too mild a cleansing method. I tried CO washing several years ago and it was okay for a little while until my scalp rebelled. It most certainly isn't dry. I'd tell any doctor that they are crazy if they suggested it was a dry scalp. I ordered some 1% Nizoral shampoo online and will give it a go when it gets here. Last wash, 2 days ago, I used Selsun Blue and it didn't help AT ALL. Maybe I need to run through the regular anti-dandruff shampoos again and see if one of the other active ingredients helps. Seems like I get a little relief from it some of the time and can't reproduce the same results consistently. It's really frustrating.

Thanks for all the well wishes on my knee. My surgery was May 16th, and I'm healing as expected. I've regained a lot of function and mobility. I took a lot of time off of work because my job is too physical to perform while recovering from surgery. I just got cleared to go back to work and I'm so happy about that. Living on savings kind of sucks.

Obsidian
August 3rd, 2017, 05:44 PM
Lauralonglocks, my SD is very similar to what you describe. No flakes or crusty/oozy unless I pick at my scalp. Mostly I have oily scalp and little white specks, sometimes a few pimple like spots too. Its itches like crazy though and I've been known to scratch until I bleed.

When you use dandruff shampoo, do you just wash with it or are you applying it directly to the scalp and letting it sit? It needs to stay on for 10-15 minutes to really do any good and use plenty, you want the skin covered.

For me, I can't let any oils or cones touch my scalp and I have to wash at least every 3 days but daily is better. I currently use a clarifying shampoo and cone free conditioner. Since I switched to the cone free condish, I can use sulfate free poo every other wash or so but even my natural scalp oils can cause a flare if I don't clean enough.

mira-chan
August 3rd, 2017, 08:49 PM
Oh my goodness, your scalp sounds almost exactly like mine! I've tried normal anti-dundruff shampoos and all sorts of other 'calming', 'balancing' shampoos and nothing helps. I have stuck with sulphate-free shampoos though because my scalp tolerates them enough that the benefit of having less greasy hair is worth it.

I have actually been to see a doctor (after over a year of trying to deal with it myself) but all she said was 'you seem to be prone to dry skin, try this steroid lotion' which I didn't bother to try, because when I tried to clarify what she thought it was that would call for steroid application - allergic reaction? Eczema/SD? - she just said 'dry skin' :ponder: [I also wanted to pursue more natural potential methods before trying whatever the steroid lotion was, but I haven't been able to put anything into a routine that works yet.]

I'll have to have a look for Nizoral or whatever the UK equivalent might be. LauraLongLocks, please keep us updated with how you get on, and I too hope your knee heals well.
I have similar to this, and dry skin too. My scalp doesn't get oily at all. Even on just over a month sebum only experiment. My hair and skin just got dryer and ...crustier? This white covering just got thicker. I and several others talked about this on older tread and have been calling it "dry sebum" specifically when it relates to dry hair and not feeling oily or getting pimply. If it's oily then it does sound like SD. Vinegar or citric acid rinses help with itching but not the white stuff. Oiling the scalp a little bit regularly does help melt the gook. That's about the only thing I've found that works somewhat, and even that is not ideal.

Washing more with a harsher sulfate free shampoo just gave me more of tight scalp/ dry skin feeling and no effect on the white stuff. Milder shampoo, no change.

I haven't tried nizoral but sulfates give me itching and bleeding bumps so that's a no go. I get skin sores like that for sulfates on any part of me, not just scalp. I'm not touching the stuff for my own safety.

I suspect for me it's more related to keratosis pilaris or my collagen issue (genetic problem). I have skin that doesn't shed well all over, not to the point where there is visible flaking but regular washing and mild exfoliation just doesn't do anything and I start getting clogged pores with hard plugs (KP style). It's likely for me it's a combination of dry sebum due to general skin dryness and skin that doesn't want to release dead skin cell layer as normal. As for doctor, I always get a shrug and a mention that any of my problems are related to the collagen issue...soo... that's not helpful, just like MusicalSpoons had with her doctor.

I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone finds an answer to this.

LauraLongLocks
August 3rd, 2017, 11:20 PM
Lauralonglocks, my SD is very similar to what you describe. No flakes or crusty/oozy unless I pick at my scalp. Mostly I have oily scalp and little white specks, sometimes a few pimple like spots too. Its itches like crazy though and I've been known to scratch until I bleed.

When you use dandruff shampoo, do you just wash with it or are you applying it directly to the scalp and letting it sit? It needs to stay on for 10-15 minutes to really do any good and use plenty, you want the skin covered.

For me, I can't let any oils or cones touch my scalp and I have to wash at least every 3 days but daily is better. I currently use a clarifying shampoo and cone free conditioner. Since I switched to the cone free condish, I can use sulfate free poo every other wash or so but even my natural scalp oils can cause a flare if I don't clean enough.

Maybe that's the problem... I'm not leaving the shampoo on long enough. I do find better results if I shampoo twice, so I've taken to doing that. I scrub my scalp with my fingernails when I shampoo because it feels so good. It doesn't cause irritation when I scrub at it like that. My scalp seems to like it, lol. I will try leaving my shampoo on longer and see if that helps.

LauraLongLocks
August 3rd, 2017, 11:23 PM
Also, I wonder if dissolving/diluting my natural oils with more oil (like olive oil or some thin runny oil) before washing would help some. I'll give it a try. I might be able to get it cleaner that way. I've done that when my babies had cradle cap and it helped to loosen those oily flakes right up.

Tosca
August 4th, 2017, 12:50 AM
I have similar to this, and dry skin too. My scalp doesn't get oily at all. Even on just over a month sebum only experiment. My hair and skin just got dryer and ...crustier? This white covering just got thicker. I and several others talked about this on older tread and have been calling it "dry sebum" specifically when it relates to dry hair and not feeling oily or getting pimply. If it's oily then it does sound like SD. Vinegar or citric acid rinses help with itching but not the white stuff. Oiling the scalp a little bit regularly does help melt the gook. That's about the only thing I've found that works somewhat, and even that is not ideal.

Washing more with a harsher sulfate free shampoo just gave me more of tight scalp/ dry skin feeling and no effect on the white stuff. Milder shampoo, no change.

I haven't tried nizoral but sulfates give me itching and bleeding bumps so that's a no go. I get skin sores like that for sulfates on any part of me, not just scalp. I'm not touching the stuff for my own safety.

I suspect for me it's more related to keratosis pilaris or my collagen issue (genetic problem). I have skin that doesn't shed well all over, not to the point where there is visible flaking but regular washing and mild exfoliation just doesn't do anything and I start getting clogged pores with hard plugs (KP style). It's likely for me it's a combination of dry sebum due to general skin dryness and skin that doesn't want to release dead skin cell layer as normal. As for doctor, I always get a shrug and a mention that any of my problems are related to the collagen issue...soo... that's not helpful, just like MusicalSpoons had with her doctor.

I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone finds an answer to this.

I have similar skin problems to you, (skin refusing to exfoliate etc) and a skin cream with 10% urea really helps loosen all the dead skin for me. After starting to use the cream, I got a lot fewer breakouts/calmer skin as well, probably because my pores were less clogged.

lapushka
August 4th, 2017, 03:29 AM
Also, I wonder if dissolving/diluting my natural oils with more oil (like olive oil or some thin runny oil) before washing would help some. I'll give it a try. I might be able to get it cleaner that way. I've done that when my babies had cradle cap and it helped to loosen those oily flakes right up.

Should you have SD, oils on the scalp are a *bad idea*! Very bad. It feeds the fungal overgrowth and makes things worse.

I would just use the Nizoral when you get it, spread it well, suds it up, let it sit for 10 min., then suds some more (wash) and rinse.

Obsidian, I don't use a sulfate-free shampoo. I don't use anything that has to make me break out the medicated shampoo. But that's me. In my case sulfate-free, or conditioner or oil on the scalp is a no-go!

mira-chan
August 4th, 2017, 06:21 AM
I have similar skin problems to you, (skin refusing to exfoliate etc) and a skin cream with 10% urea really helps loosen all the dead skin for me. After starting to use the cream, I got a lot fewer breakouts/calmer skin as well, probably because my pores were less clogged.

Thanks! I'll look into getting one of those, just need to find one without dimethicone, which my skin hates.

LauraLongLocks
August 4th, 2017, 11:20 AM
Should you have SD, oils on the scalp are a *bad idea*! Very bad. It feeds the fungal overgrowth and makes things worse.

I would just use the Nizoral when you get it, spread it well, suds it up, let it sit for 10 min., then suds some more (wash) and rinse.

Obsidian, I don't use a sulfate-free shampoo. I don't use anything that has to make me break out the medicated shampoo. But that's me. In my case sulfate-free, or conditioner or oil on the scalp is a no-go!

Good to know. I'll try letting the shampoo sit for a while before rinsing out and skip the oil for now.

ElisabethS
August 4th, 2017, 12:19 PM
another thought might be diet, specifically grains and dairy can be a problem. could be worth a try.

LauraLongLocks
August 6th, 2017, 07:38 PM
I washed yesterday with Selsun Blue and let it sit on my scalp for a while. Though I spent the rest of the day outdoors digging post holes for a fence and sweating like crazy, I wasn't in the least bit itchy. So, I think I'm onto something. I was also outside sweating all morning today and just now this evening I'm *starting* to get a little itchy and have a little bit of the gunk under my nails when I scratch. This is a huge improvement though. I think I'll try washing again tomorrow and letting the shampoo sit on my scalp like I did yesterday. I think the only reason I am itchy this evening is because I spent so much time outdoors sweating in the heat. I wouldn't normally wash every other day, but if it gives me relief from constant itching, I'll take it.

The Nizoral 1% shampoo showed up yesterday afternoon. I think I'll give it a go and see if my scalp likes it. I got a little kit with a shampoo brush in it and everything, so then I won't need to scrub with my fingernails so much.

It was so nice to go over 24 hours with zero itching!

meteor
August 6th, 2017, 10:35 PM
^ Sounds like a great start! :thumbsup: I'd keep doing that and don't be afraid to lather up twice or three times, if needed, and really let it do its work. Some of us really need to massage shampoo into roots for longer, plus anti-fungals need a bit of time to work.

lapushka
August 7th, 2017, 06:49 AM
Yes, last time I used my Nizoral, I let it sit for 10 min., then washed with H&S after (because the Nizoral didn't suds up much) and I only had to use it once!

Dendra
August 7th, 2017, 07:31 AM

MusicalSpoons, I'm in the UK and you can get Nizoral in Boots or Superdrug in the dry skin section. I also went to a nurse about my scalp and was given the steroid solution, as she thought I had eczema. I used it but it did not really work, the itching subsided a bit whilst I was using it but then came back. I've tried a couple of shampoos, and so far Eucerin seems to be helping the most. If you do have dry skin then it should help you too.

LauraLongLocks it's so great that you've found something to get rid of the itch. I know how you feel! I think mine is gradually going too (fingers crossed).

mira-chan
August 11th, 2017, 05:28 PM

Thanks! I'll look into getting one of those, just need to find one without dimethicone, which my skin hates.

Urea lotion gotten. I will be testing it over the next week. :D Thanks for the suggestion! And this one is miraculously without dimethicone.

LauraLongLocks
August 11th, 2017, 06:16 PM
I used the Nizoral 1% one time, let it sit for 5 minutes. I was pleased with the improvement, but I think I'll try 10 minutes and maybe following up with another anti-dandruff shampoo afterwards, as Lapushka described, to see if I can get a more lasting effect. It was non-itchy and not too oily for 2 days. The third day (today) it got itchy and my sebum seemed to take over. I was still able to get a BBB through my hair to my scalp, so the sebum wasn't so thick as to make my hair terribly clumpy. I'm going to switch to evening washes instead of mornings because I won't have time for mid-week washes in the mornings once school begins again.

I'm really glad I started this thread. I've gotten so much helpful advice. Thank you, all, so much!

LauraLongLocks
August 11th, 2017, 06:20 PM
Hopefully someone will read this before I wash tonight and give an answer... the back of the bottle of Nizoral says to wash twice a week initially to get it under control. Is that a good idea, or should I avoid using the medicated stuff so frequently?

Obsidian
August 11th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Use it as directed. If you are having a bad flare, you can use it every time you wash until its under control.

Cherriezzzzz
August 11th, 2017, 06:26 PM
Twice a week doesn't seem too much to me...

I have the oily version of what you're describing... But I (unconventionally) started using poo bars from Chagrin Valley and use acv rinse afterward. I use oils too, not on my scalp. So there is nothing to leave on my scalp anymore. I did NOT have itching however. But I scritch my scalp and it's pretty clean now. Occasionally the sand like bits, but nothing like the white, yellow stuff that used to coat my scalp. Are you young? Like teen ish to early 20.s? Mine was worst in that age...

LauraLongLocks
August 11th, 2017, 09:36 PM
Use it as directed. If you are having a bad flare, you can use it every time you wash until its under control. Thank you for the guidance.

Twice a week doesn't seem too much to me...

I have the oily version of what you're describing... But I (unconventionally) started using poo bars from Chagrin Valley and use acv rinse afterward. I use oils too, not on my scalp. So there is nothing to leave on my scalp anymore. I did NOT have itching however. But I scritch my scalp and it's pretty clean now. Occasionally the sand like bits, but nothing like the white, yellow stuff that used to coat my scalp. Are you young? Like teen ish to early 20.s? Mine was worst in that age... I'm 40, lol.

Dendra
August 12th, 2017, 02:46 AM
I may try Nizoral as well, as I'm still itching even with the Eucerin shampoo and scalp treatment.

Did you try it yet, LauraLongLocks?

lapushka
August 12th, 2017, 07:18 AM
I used the Nizoral 1% one time, let it sit for 5 minutes. I was pleased with the improvement, but I think I'll try 10 minutes and maybe following up with another anti-dandruff shampoo afterwards, as Lapushka described, to see if I can get a more lasting effect. It was non-itchy and not too oily for 2 days. The third day (today) it got itchy and my sebum seemed to take over. I was still able to get a BBB through my hair to my scalp, so the sebum wasn't so thick as to make my hair terribly clumpy. I'm going to switch to evening washes instead of mornings because I won't have time for mid-week washes in the mornings once school begins again.

I'm really glad I started this thread. I've gotten so much helpful advice. Thank you, all, so much!

You're welcome. I would also let it sit 10 min. and see if you can follow it up with an anti-dandruff shampoo (any one will do, doesn't have to be "the brand").

Hopefully someone will read this before I wash tonight and give an answer... the back of the bottle of Nizoral says to wash twice a week initially to get it under control. Is that a good idea, or should I avoid using the medicated stuff so frequently?

Normally it does say that. And normally I did do that, back when I still washed 2x a week; but now I do weekly washes; and with me leaving it on for 10 min. and following it up with H&S, it cleared it all up (I had flaking at the root, big major skinflakes).

It doesn't hurt to use it that frequently - no it doesnt!

LauraLongLocks
August 12th, 2017, 11:22 AM
I may try Nizoral as well, as I'm still itching even with the Eucerin shampoo and scalp treatment.

Did you try it yet, LauraLongLocks? Yes, see my earlier update.

You're welcome. I would also let it sit 10 min. and see if you can follow it up with an anti-dandruff shampoo (any one will do, doesn't have to be "the brand").

Normally it does say that. And normally I did do that, back when I still washed 2x a week; but now I do weekly washes; and with me leaving it on for 10 min. and following it up with H&S, it cleared it all up (I had flaking at the root, big major skinflakes).

It doesn't hurt to use it that frequently - no it doesnt!

Thank you for the response. I washed with Nizoral, left it on for 10 minutes, and followed that with Selsun Blue last night. I hope it works.

Dendra
August 12th, 2017, 12:00 PM
Yes, see my earlier update.

Ah yes, I missed that.

Thank you for the response. I washed with Nizoral, left it on for 10 minutes, and followed that with Selsun Blue last night. I hope it works.

Fingers crossed for you.

lapushka
August 12th, 2017, 02:14 PM

I hope it works!!! Leaving it on for 10 min. certainly isn't that much (for me personally). I liked it a lot, that it cleared it up so fast. But I do have the Nizoral 2%, and that can have an impact on the results! If Nizoral takes you in the right direction, I'd think about getting a prescription for it, if the doctor allows it for you.

LauraLongLocks
August 15th, 2017, 09:16 PM
Using Nizoral 1% and leaving it in for 10 minutes was beneficial. I had far less itching, even when wash day came around again. I think I'm on the right path, and as soon as my medical bills are more under control I'll see my regular doctor about a prescription for the 2%.

lapushka
August 16th, 2017, 03:45 AM
Using Nizoral 1% and leaving it in for 10 minutes was beneficial. I had far less itching, even when wash day came around again. I think I'm on the right path, and as soon as my medical bills are more under control I'll see my regular doctor about a prescription for the 2%.

I'm glad something worked and the Nizoral brought you some relief. Yay! That is great news!!!

LauraLongLocks
August 20th, 2017, 05:49 PM
I'm glad something worked and the Nizoral brought you some relief. Yay! That is great news!!!

I'm glad I finally asked about it, and that there was such a wealth of experience here as a resource to me. I have dealt with this for as long as I can remember, but wasn't ever sure what to do about it. Thanks for all the help.

lapushka
August 21st, 2017, 04:14 AM
I'm glad I finally asked about it, and that there was such a wealth of experience here as a resource to me. I have dealt with this for as long as I can remember, but wasn't ever sure what to do about it. Thanks for all the help.

You're absolutely welcome. I hope it continues to work for you, and that the 2% does even better! :flower: