PDA

View Full Version : Did your hair lose its thickness the longer it grew? When?

Wavybrunetteuk
July 28th, 2017, 10:15 AM
I'm still indecisive about my hair goal. The most important for me is retaining volume. For those who've already been down that road, could you please share your experiences with me.

Anje
July 28th, 2017, 10:23 AM
Mine slowly got thicker, by the nape measurement. Definitely didn't thin. Yes, the length tapered, but that's expected, since all the hairs are growing in their own cycle and the longer your hair is, the higher the percentage that haven't been growing for enough time to make it to the tips. Maintaining at a length for a while gives more hair a chance to catch up, compared to when you're actively growing it longer, but just about everyone has noticable taper if they grow long enough.

lisamt
July 28th, 2017, 10:38 AM
I'm pretty sure my thickness has stayed the same but I never really measured it before I got to waist. My length does have a taper though, so it is thinner at the ends.

*Wednesday*
July 28th, 2017, 10:47 AM
I believe in a healthy scalp, hair does not grow and start thinning out due to longer lengths. Thinning out can indicate a problem at any length. It means follicles are in a resting phase (high % of hair follicles) to soon be followed by a shed. However, as hair gets longer becomes heavier and depending on hair type may not “appear” as voluminous. Some people by nature don’t have very dense hair but does not = thinning hair. They have more weight which weighs down the hair. As Anje said longer lengths have the taper which are thinner ends.

lapushka
July 28th, 2017, 10:50 AM
You could check out the fine, thin hair thread, lots of tips, suggestions and long hair in there, should you need some encouragement. I'll link it here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115

school of fish
July 28th, 2017, 11:13 AM
There's a big distinction to be made between thinning at the scalp and thinning at the ends - although both can affect the appearance of volume, they are very different beasts and need to be assessed and handled differently :)

In my case - did length bring thinning at the scalp? No, not at all. Did it bring thinning at the ends? Yes, absolutely - when I was letting it grow without any trimming. I learned over time that for my texture the appearance of volume depends very heavily on a blunt hemline, so I have microtrimmed monthly to first achieve that blunt hemline and then maintain it.

I've also accepted that with my texture I will never have massive volume at the roots - just not possible without interventions I'm not willing to take ;)

animetor7
July 28th, 2017, 12:19 PM
Not really. My ends feel thicker when they're freshly cut because I wait at least 6 months between trims and so they always end up fairytailing a bit just due to different growth cycles But from pictures and measurements as my hair gets longer I don't think it actually gets thinner, it just isn't all the same length so you can't always see my full thickness if that makes sense.

As for volume, it seems like you have some wave which can help a LOT with volume. I'm a straightie, so I'm kinda stuck on the volume front beyond some "floofing" of braids or my hair once it's back. But as a wavey, you could try the curly girl method which might help bring out your waves which could definitely help with volume. Here is a link describing the method if you do not already know it well: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/no-poo/the-curly-girl-method-for-coily-hair/#!slide1 As always, YMMV, but it could help with volume.

Thickness just kind of is what it is in my experience.. You can't really make it thicker, Henna dyeing does thicken the strands slightly, but not enough to make a huge difference to thickness and other than that I don't know of any methods to alter your hair's natural thickness. However, hair can be beautiful at any thickness, it just requires different methods, I think Lapushka already linked the fine/thin hair thread for you, so I won't link that here, but definitely check it out. There are plenty of ladies and gentlemen who have fine, thin hair that is also gorgeous!

Good luck!!

Reyn127
July 28th, 2017, 12:24 PM
I'm not super long (yet), but pretty long. Although I KNOW I haven't lost any thickness from the circumference of my ponytail, the volume/poofiness of my hair has definitely gone down the longer it gets. It's just the weight of the hair pulling it down, stopping it from being so floaty. Before I had triangle head all the time and now it's just normal. But there are many ways to style your hair to give it more "poof" or to make it fall to look fuller.

esfand
July 28th, 2017, 02:07 PM
I haven't noticed a difference. However I did notice hair thickening with a better diet. If you want volume you can always try the "faux bob" thing.

Larki
July 28th, 2017, 05:09 PM
My thickness fluctuates a lot because of trichotillomania. At one point I gained about half an inch of thickness, from 3.75" ish to around 4.2"...now I'm probably just barely 4" or just under 4".

Wavybrunetteuk
July 28th, 2017, 07:27 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies ^^

papillon
July 28th, 2017, 09:38 PM
My hair definitely felt thinner as it got longer. My hair is thickest around BSL. It seems to thin after that. I was at waist-length at the longest.

PrincessAralin
July 29th, 2017, 05:11 AM
The circumference of my ponytail is the same as it's been for pretty much ever, if that's what you mean. I do have fairytale ends so it gets thinner further down, but I've got plenty of volume all the way down to the Classic mark.

Lisa-K
July 31st, 2017, 09:32 AM
Definitely. The longer my hair gets, the thinner it looks. Even if I keep the ends neat and trim them regularly. There's also something about my hair losing volume due to its own weight. But I'm sure that's not necessarily true for all hair types.

I've just cut a solid 10cm off yesterday, and boy does it look and feel thicker now! It's all nice and bouncy. I'm actually contemplating keeping it shorter than my initial idea, because of how lovely it looks and feels now that I've cut it.

Arctic
July 31st, 2017, 10:11 AM
There's a big distinction to be made between thinning at the scalp and thinning at the ends - although both can affect the appearance of volume, they are very different beasts and need to be assessed and handled differently :)

Agreed. :) Long hair shouldn't make your hair thinner at the scalp (= hair loss) unless there are other problems involved.

It might loose volume at the roots, of course, as it's heavier. And the lengths, especially towards the ends can be thinner than hair at the scalp level. If you are blessed with even growth and/or if you trim regularly and/or prevent damage and breakage you can prevent the tapering with length to a degree.

Aredhel
July 31st, 2017, 10:52 AM
As my hair gets longer, my ends do get thinner and thinner. It's the result of shedding; I naturally shed quite a bit, and my hair is not overly thick. The hair on my nape remains at the same thickness though.