PDA

View Full Version : Anyone considering shorter hair?

tealeafdancer
July 26th, 2017, 11:57 AM
I know most of us here are obsessed with length - and I am too. But right now I'm wondering if I should perhaps try a shorter hairstyle ...

Here's the one that I'm considering:

https://www.short-haircut.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Medium-Short-Haircuts-396x300.jpg

One of the reasons is that I love how my hair gets wavier as it is shorter - that also being a reason why I have long hair at the moment as it can get a bit unruly and even crazy. But that also adds to the excitement and I feel like I'm so bored with my hair. I've had long hair (shoulder blade to hip) for 15 years now and I'm at a little past waist length again.

What are the shorter hairstyles you are considering/fancying?

Btw, that is not me in the picture :)

Ophidian
July 26th, 2017, 12:15 PM
There's this thread, for people who aren't actively growing out their hair and are playing around with shorter lengths and styles:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=140883

lapushka
July 26th, 2017, 12:30 PM
I know most of us here are obsessed with length - and I am too. But right now I'm wondering if I should perhaps try a shorter hairstyle ...

https://www.short-haircut.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Medium-Short-Haircuts-396x300.jpg

One of the reasons is that I love how my hair gets wavier as it is shorter - that also being a reason why I have long hair at the moment as it can get a bit unruly and even crazy. But that also adds to the excitement and I feel like I'm so bored with my hair. I've had long hair (shoulder blade to hip) for 15 years now and I'm at a little past waist length again.

I sometimes get the same feelings when looking at a style that interests me or really grabs my attention. Then I realize it wouldn't be practical for me at all. You have to take into account your own lifestyle, whether or not it would be easy to style (depending on your texture), etc. and then I always come back to, "no thank you, I'll keep it long". Thank goodness.

It's a pretty nice style though!

tealeafdancer
July 26th, 2017, 12:39 PM
There's this thread, for people who aren't actively growing out their hair and are playing around with shorter lengths and styles:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=140883

Thanks for the link!

I don't think I qualify to be in the thread as my hair is long (past waist) and I'm just toying around with the idea of perhaps - one day - or maybe not - going short(er) :)

This is more like: "Oooh, I like *this* hairstyle, but I'm not sure if I will actually do it..." etc :)

tealeafdancer
July 26th, 2017, 12:41 PM
I sometimes get the same feelings when looking at a style that interests me or really grabs my attention. Then I realize it wouldn't be practical for me at all. You have to take into account your own lifestyle, whether or not it would be easy to style (depending on your texture), etc. and then I always come back to, "no thank you, I'll keep it long". Thank goodness.

It's a pretty nice style though!

Yeah, that's the thought process I've gone through several times now and this may be yet another one of those :D

littlestarface
July 26th, 2017, 12:45 PM
No never cuz usually what looks good on someone else wont on me cuz they style it and do all kinds of damaging things to their hair so that just puts me off.

Nique1202
July 26th, 2017, 01:18 PM
No never cuz usually what looks good on someone else wont on me cuz they style it and do all kinds of damaging things to their hair so that just puts me off.

And even if they don't style it overmuch or do damaging things to their hair to make it look the way it does, chances are good that MY hair will need it to look anywhere near the same.

I know what my hair does when it's short and unstyled, it's nothing I like the look of. For me, short hair means washing every 2 days instead of every 4, heat styling every single day (not a big deal when it's above the shoulders, but it's a pain in the neck when you want to grow it back out again), and not having nearly the variety of styles and looks available to me as I can make happen with my hair at tailbone.

Everyone has to come to their own decision, nobody should pressure you one way or the other, but if you have a habit of getting bored of your hair, I'd highly recommend trying out new styles rather than cutting it back, and see if that helps relieve the impulsive feelings. If you still want to cut it in a few weeks with a few new styles under your belt, then more power to you, but make absolutely sure you want to commit to shorter hair before you do it.

melesine
July 26th, 2017, 01:27 PM
I chopped mine two years ago after thinking about it for about six months. I enjoyed it in the moment but I did miss my longer hair and I left it grow out since. But I'm glad I did it.

ReadingRenee
July 26th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Always! There is part of me that longs for short bleached pixies, a part of me that wants bouncy shoulder length hair, and a part of me that wants at least waist length natural color hair. I so far have managed to avoid the shorter options because I still have never had waist length hair. It sounds like you have though so I don't know. Im trying to get to waist before I make any big decisions because as we all know it takes forever to grow hair long. But, there are definitely days that it is harder than others.

I have been experimenting with curly girl methods to keep the boredom at bay and hopefully can keep on going at least until waist. I have found the two week rule to be really helpful. If every day for 2 weeks I don't enjoy my longer hair than maybe I will cut it. But, there is always a day in that 2 weeks that I am glad I didn't cut my hair. This works pretty well for me. Good luck with your decision. :)

tealeafdancer
July 26th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Always! There is part of me that longs for short bleached pixies, a part of me that wants bouncy shoulder length hair, and a part of me that wants at least waist length natural color hair that is at least waist length. I so far have managed to avoid the shorter options because I still have never had waist length hair. It sounds like you have though so I don't know. Im trying to get to waist before I make any big decisions because as we all know it takes forever to grow hair long. But, there are definitely days that it is harder than others.

I have been experimenting with curly girl methods to keep the boredom at bay and hopefully can keep on going at least until waist. I have found the two week rule to be really helpful. If every day for 2 weeks I don't enjoy my longer hair than maybe I will cut it. But, there is always a day in that 2 weeks that I am glad I didn't cut my hair. This works pretty well for me. Good luck with your decision. :)

That's it - I want the *bounce* of the shoulder length hair :D That is the word!

Don't get me wrong, i actually love my hair, but it's just ... the same ... aaaallll the tiiiimmeeee, haha. And to be honest, I really do not get off on all the updos. I never manage to maintain an updo the whole day. I always end up playing around with it, taking it down, doing something else, hating it, redoing it ... etc. and so on. I love having hair in my face and updos kinda don't do it for me. Plus, I have a very strong and angular jaw, so updos only accentuate it, which I don't like, well, at least not all the time.

Decisions decisions :)

LizzyGrant
July 26th, 2017, 01:57 PM
I really like lengths between shoulder and collarbone. I cut my hip length hair to collarbone two years ago and enjoyed it a lot. But everytime I have cut my hair shorter I want long hair again. If I saw others with long hair it made me miss my long hair so much. Long hair just feels like "me" the most. Right now I feel like I'll never want to go shorter than waist.. But I still like those shorter lengths very much on others. The hair in the picture you linked is pretty! But if you have had long hair for 15 years it might be a nice change for you to cut it shorter. Take your time to decide what you want. :)

LizzyGrant
July 26th, 2017, 01:59 PM
Also face framing layers or bangs could be an option for you if you like those. Then you would have something to frame your face when your hairs is up and also something to play with! :D

Corvana
July 26th, 2017, 02:17 PM
After about... 2005 probably, I kept my hair in the SL-APL range until I gave birth to my son in 2009. Then I let it grow until early 2010 (I just didn't cut it while pregnant nor after), when I went back to shoulder. And then I hit BSL a few years later, and then back to shoulder. And then I had a pixie for like 4 years. Which I loved!

But I'd cut my hair out of boredom, and because I just didn't know what to do with it. Buns gave me headaches (I was doing them with elastics and bobby pins, though), and so did single ponies. I'd usually do either half-up pigtails, or full pigtails (with or without the length held halfway through the last loop of elastic). I gave myself bangs before I went pixie, and enjoyed them a lot! But my hair grows very fast, so I was trimming them constantly. Or just pinning them back instead because I didn't want to bother with them.

Now, though, while I do currently miss how cool (in both senses ;) ) my pixie was, I want my hair long. Even if it's temporary, but I doubt it. I missed long hair even while having and loving my pixie, and eventually it built up enough to overpower my pixie love.

What this whole... long thing is saying is basically: just give yourself some time. Try some new stuff with what you've got! Face framing layers are always pretty nice (and I plan to give myself some at about waist), and in comparison to other changes, would be easier to grow out if you don't like them. And if eventually the desire to have shorter hair overwhelms your love for your long hair, then cut it. Sure it'll take a long time, but you can always grow it back.

In the last couple years I've started being less impulsive with changes to myself that can't be reversed in a handful of months. So for example when I wanted to grow my hair out: I put it on the back burner. I was already keeping the top longer than I'd started (it went from being maintained at 2 inches to 4 inches), so I let that grow even more. Then after about 4 months I decided maybe a mohawk would satisfy the long hair desire and the love of how cool short hair is. I live in Texas, and it's regularly in the 100s fahrenheit in the summer. But after another 3 or so months, I had fully decided that no I want all of my hair long. So I stopped cutting it anymore. While I can always go back, if I cut my hair again and regret it, it will take me at least a year and a half to get back to where I am now. So I'd like to spend even 1/3 of that time with that in the back of my mind to see if it's what I really want, or if it's just an impulsive whim.

I'm also waiting to try henna! I miss my red red hair, but henna is a HUGE commitment. It's basically the same as cutting my hair without cutting it, in terms of the amount I'd need to regrow if I decide I don't want it. So I'm going to wait until at least next summer. I'll reevaluate then, and if it's still something I want really badly, then I'll start with a gloss. If I love it, then full henna it is! I already saved the color mix I want from Night Blooming ;) Just in case!

spidermom
July 26th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Cute style; similar to my current style. I too had long hair for at least 15 years, and I agonized back and forth for at least 2 years before I finally made the cut 8 months ago. I still love it; so easy and fun to style. I have been thinking lately about growing it longer, though. I decided to let it grow until the first day of autumn, then reevaluate.

copperlites
July 26th, 2017, 03:21 PM
I love the LOB style you posted and spidermom's new style. This is a style I've been thinking of for months. My hair is currently mid back, where I seem to have been hovering for the last 18 months. I really want to try and get to waist, as that has been my goal since joining LHC so I'm trying to get there before making a very long term decision to cut off so much length as I'm only about 3 inches away. I turn 50 in March and want to have a rockabilly party with my own long ponytail so this is holding me back from
the chop too.

queenbee1
July 26th, 2017, 04:42 PM
I have a habit of doing a big chop every other year to APL. I usually reach hip or at least waist. This is how I get the best of both worlds. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
July 26th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Sometimes I miss the "swooshiness" of shorter hair, but other than that, no, I don't wish my hair shorter.

lucid
July 26th, 2017, 05:30 PM
I have cut my hair to above shoulder length three times. And I always regret it shortly after. I hate the mid length stage from shoulder to BCL on me, so growing it out is a pain... whenever I want short hair now I cut my bangs.

*Wednesday*
July 26th, 2017, 05:54 PM
The link...her hair is absolutely adorable and suits her. She has great texture.

I remember when Jennifer Anniston was on Friend's and this haircut https://goo.gl/images/68NBxo had many women rushing off to their salon cutting their hair. Unfortunately, Jennifer rocked it. As someone else said, what looks good on someone else may not be as flattering for you. On that note I see cute short styles but look high maintenance for my type of hair. I do like my longer hair. I also vowed to never CUT my hair again. Not even for the death of a loved one...so I'm in it for life.

Cherriezzzzz
July 26th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Had a LOB myself last nov. 2017... enjoyed it, but immediately knew I would be growing it out. And I've not so much as trimmed it since!

spidermom
July 26th, 2017, 06:26 PM
I read an interview with Jennifer Aniston, and she said she hated the Rachel cut with a passion.

Crystawni
July 26th, 2017, 06:42 PM
Also face framing layers or bangs could be an option for you if you like those. Then you would have something to frame your face when your hairs is up and also something to play with! :D

Yes, this.

That's it - I want the *bounce* of the shoulder length hair :D That is the word!

Don't get me wrong, i actually love my hair, but it's just ... the same ... aaaallll the tiiiimmeeee, haha. And to be honest, I really do not get off on all the updos. I never manage to maintain an updo the whole day. I always end up playing around with it, taking it down, doing something else, hating it, redoing it ... etc. and so on. I love having hair in my face and updos kinda don't do it for me. Plus, I have a very strong and angular jaw, so updos only accentuate it, which I don't like, well, at least not all the time.

Decisions decisions :)

Yuppers, I fiddle with mine a lot, too. :p Buuuuuuuuut...

I'm of the been there, done that camp. I love the style in the linked pic very much, and have had it a few times before (hello 90s), and still trim my hair so it frames my face the same way. Actually, that pic is so much like my hair that it shows me how it would look with just the back hem hacked off, and doesn't sit well with me. I prefer the swish of length over the bounce of bob. I can get that look around my face with my hair graduations, so really don't feel there's a benefit for me, especially as it would mean more styling, more heat on my neck (too hot where I live), and less hairstyle options.

spidermom
July 26th, 2017, 09:36 PM
Funny - I feel like I have many more hairstyle options than when my hair was long. Then I only had braids or buns, basically. I tried some bangs and some face-framing layers, which gave me a little more styling potential, but nothing like now. I can still bun or braid when I really want to, but I've also got french twisting in a couple of different ways, curling, straightening, scrunching (like my sig pic), combing, finger waving, and using different ornaments to pull the front off my face. I love wearing it curled with one side pulled back with a flower clip.

Crystawni
July 26th, 2017, 10:18 PM
Hehe, we do similar things, spidermom! I just use twists to eat some length if it's a tails-up kind of thing, and blow dry it straighter on the very rare occasion (I have a GHD, but it's "safely" in storage). I love bo-ho kinda frivolity, too, and especially love a beachy look as that's where I live, coconut palms and all. The wind also plays into my decisions (better hair is up somehow instead of completely blinding me with a waving blanket of boofness--I'm blind enough :lol:), as does the all-year-summer heat. If it were just past shoulder and blunt, I'd struggle with the thickness and triangular poof from humidity and texture that no beachy hairstyle can tame.

So, I guess a few individual factors come into these kinds of decisions, and must be weighed up carefully.

esfand
July 26th, 2017, 10:27 PM
No because you're still going to have go style your hair to make shoulder hair length that volumnous and nice, unless you're a curly. If you want to try shorter hair, then try faux bobs because those give you the short length you want, but with the volume.

That said, if anyone is thinking of cutting their hair 6" and over, I am doing hair experiments and will rebate for shipping and compensate. Damaged hair, colored hair, henna'd, virgin, don't matter.

leayellena
July 27th, 2017, 01:59 AM
there are so many great tutorials for hair shortening styles... one does not need to cut his/her hair. try for example the chinese knot and leave the rest of the pony down or wrap it just once if you have hair below classic

*Wednesday*
July 27th, 2017, 10:18 AM
I read an interview with Jennifer Aniston, and she said she hated the Rachel cut with a passion.

I wouldn't doubt it. So many of them are probably forced to Market a certain image. They can't be themselves.

tealeafdancer
July 28th, 2017, 11:23 AM
No because you're still going to have go style your hair to make shoulder hair length that volumnous and nice, unless you're a curly. If you want to try shorter hair, then try faux bobs because those give you the short length you want, but with the volume.

That said, if anyone is thinking of cutting their hair 6" and over, I am doing hair experiments and will rebate for shipping and compensate. Damaged hair, colored hair, henna'd, virgin, don't matter.

My hair gets much wavier when it's shorter ... when I had it cut to jawline (and didn't color my hair with henna), my hair was pretty much curly ...

I'm still on the fence ... I went around my workplace (like the dufus I am) and asked some of my coworkers about what they think. Everyone told me I should do it except one who told me I rock the long hair and that it fits me so well that he doesn't think the short hair will add anything to my look ... Hmm. That felt kind of nice.

It's been muggy and rainy the past two days and my hair did the frizzy thing even at this length (waist +) and I can't even imagine what it would do at shoulder(ish) length, haha. Another thing to think about.

2gaits
July 28th, 2017, 12:02 PM
I will say that the cut you posted is one of my favorites and I have found that around that length is very versatile. I am actually wanting to grow out a lot of layers and I think my bangs and then maintain a length around collarbone to apl. I have color to grow out. Maybe I will eventually grow to waist but that will take several years.

animetor7
July 28th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Sometime's I'll get the urge to chop it. But at the moment I'm really determined to grow it out because I went for a professional trim for the first time in years because it was my uni graduation and I felt it ought to look nicer than usual. Well, a 1-2" trim turned into a 3-5" cut that I'm still kind of mad about no matter how nice the shape and layers are. It's not what I asked for. So at the moment I'm determined to grow because even at just above hip length my hair still feels short to me because it's not what I was used to. But certainly I sometimes get the urge to cut, particularly into that pretty shoulder length wavy/curly type style that you showed in the picture. Then I remember that although my hair is thick, it is stubborn and straight and will never behave like that even with heat! But, whatever way you want to go, it's your hair, go with whatever you think will make you happy, cutting, not cutting, bangs, etc.. I do suggest following what we call the "two-week" rule around here, which is waiting at least two weeks thinking about it before making any major hair decisions, hopefully if you still decide to cut after two weeks it will be without regrets. Good luck!! :)

unheardletters
July 28th, 2017, 12:50 PM
I've had short hair most of my life, it just doesn't work for my hair type. I need length or I have to straighten my hair daily to combat the poof.

lapushka
July 28th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Well, a 1-2" trim turned into a 3-5" cut that I'm still kind of mad about no matter how nice the shape and layers are. It's not what I asked for. So at the moment I'm determined to grow because even at just above hip length my hair still feels short to me because it's not what I was used to.

That is just terrible. There's quite a difference between 1/2 inches and almost 5!

animetor7
July 28th, 2017, 02:57 PM
That is just terrible. There's quite a difference between 1/2 inches and almost 5!

Yeah, I was sad about it, but not as upset as I thought I'd be. It was nice to get my ends nice and thick again. But still not worth it. I'm feeling a lot better about it now because it's at least somewhat long again, but it still feels too short to me. Which is odd considering that when I first started this hair journey waist or so felt impossibly long, and now above hip feels strangely short. It's all about shifting perspectives I suppose. :)

melesine
July 28th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Sometime's I'll get the urge to chop it. But at the moment I'm really determined to grow it out because I went for a professional trim for the first time in years because it was my uni graduation and I felt it ought to look nicer than usual. Well, a 1-2" trim turned into a 3-5" cut that I'm still kind of mad about no matter how nice the shape and layers are. It's not what I asked for. So at the moment I'm determined to grow because even at just above hip length my hair still feels short to me because it's not what I was used to. But certainly I sometimes get the urge to cut, particularly into that pretty shoulder length wavy/curly type style that you showed in the picture. Then I remember that although my hair is thick, it is stubborn and straight and will never behave like that even with heat! But, whatever way you want to go, it's your hair, go with whatever you think will make you happy, cutting, not cutting, bangs, etc.. I do suggest following what we call the "two-week" rule around here, which is waiting at least two weeks thinking about it before making any major hair decisions, hopefully if you still decide to cut after two weeks it will be without regrets. Good luck!! :)

It's just infuriating when that happens. It's the number one reason that I started cutting my own hair. When I chopped mine into a lob I did it myself. I haven't had a professional haircut in I can't remember how long. They always want to cut off more than I want and don't even get me started on them layering my hair. My hair gets really big when it's short or layered. Then of course they want to straighten it or use the curling iron. I'm done with professional stylists.

ladyfey
July 28th, 2017, 04:34 PM
I had my super long hair cut off two years ago, into a bob. Now I have a pixie for the first time ever, I love it so much. I still don't blowdry, just use a little of Lush's Dirty hair cream, comb and go. Much easier than the long hair was, I can go swimming now with my kids without it being a huge ordeal, and my scalp is so much happier. While I enjoyed the awesomeness of super long hair, I wish I'd switched to a pixie long ago.

JennyPenny
July 28th, 2017, 05:50 PM
I have had waist length to hip length hair for all my life, with one exception. Several years ago I had a chop and it was about shoulder to armpit length and heavily layered. I thought my hair would be wavier if it was short, but that was not the case for me. I hated it! It was a terrible decision, but I'm glad I did it because now I can feel happy keeping my hair long. If I have cut it short, I would have kept longing for shorter hair. It let me move on.
I did want some hair that I could play with, so I just had bangs cut. I am very happy I did it. I don't know how long I will keep them, but right now I'm so happy with my bangs! Mine are amazing low maintenance. I just wash then every other day when I wash my length, and they don't get greasy between washes (although I know some have a problem with this). I am even considering adding some face framing layers. I think bangs may really help you!

Crystawni
August 7th, 2017, 01:32 AM
I'm of the been there, done that camp. I love the style in the linked pic very much, and have had it a few times before (hello 90s), and still trim my hair so it frames my face the same way. Actually, that pic is so much like my hair that it shows me how it would look with just the back hem hacked off, and doesn't sit well with me. I prefer the swish of length over the bounce of bob. I can get that look around my face with my hair graduations, so really don't feel there's a benefit for me, especially as it would mean more styling, more heat on my neck (too hot where I live), and less hairstyle options.

See? My hair today--just the longer version of the pic linked to (mine's combed every now and then while drying to contain the coils a bit). So yup, moar swish is mah wish.

http://i.imgur.com/pQ0Ttn5.jpg

browneyedsusan
August 8th, 2017, 08:52 AM
I currently have long hair, and it's "new". Before 2012, it was SL or shorter.
I never stuck around at SL when I was growing, because I wanted lots of styling options. I wear my hair different every day, and that's one of the reasons I like it long. :)

I loved my pixies! They were SUPER fun! They did have a few drawbacks, though: had to get haircuts every 4 or 6 weeks; limited styling options, because it was too short to pin up. Still, I could color the dickens out of my hair, because damage wasn't an issue. I didn't own a brush, and it never tangled or got caught in things. Also, my female friends thought I was a beast because I had the stones to wear it "so short"! lol! Super short hair on a woman is an eye-catcher. Similiar to how super long hair is. :)

restless
August 8th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Well, I like toying with the idea of cutting my hair short à la a long bob or something, because Im curious to see how my hair would behave. The last time my hair was that length it was very, very damaged and thus it didnt act/look like my healthy, virgin hair would. However Im still way too fond of my long hair, so no. Not now, anyway.

bparnell75
August 8th, 2017, 05:29 PM
Well, I like toying with the idea of cutting my hair short à la a long bob or something, because Im curious to see how my hair would behave. The last time my hair was that length it was very, very damaged and thus it didnt act/look like my healthy, virgin hair would. However Im still way too fond of my long hair, so no. Not now, anyway.

I guess you are restless.

restless
August 9th, 2017, 02:30 AM
I guess you are restless.

lol most definitley ;)

KlutzyChy1
August 9th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Oh no, never again. When I was younger, I had super long, hip length hair & then an ex of mine made me chop it all off into an extremely short, choppy, chin length bob. Let me tell you, I can NOT pull off short hair. Everyone assured me it would be so much easier to deal with. That short hair was less of a hassle. That I could just wash & go. Not with my hair type. My hair is naturally wavy & with short layers it just looked very odd on me. The only way to get it to look remotely decent was to style it every day with blow dryers & straighteners which caused so much damage, and then I had to do even more straightening to try and hide the damage. It was a mess & a vicious cycle. Now I'm trying to grow my hair back to hip and I'm STILL growing out my last layer.

KlutzyChy1
August 9th, 2017, 07:50 AM
It's just infuriating when that happens. It's the number one reason that I started cutting my own hair. When I chopped mine into a lob I did it myself. I haven't had a professional haircut in I can't remember how long. They always want to cut off more than I want and don't even get me started on them layering my hair. My hair gets really big when it's short or layered. Then of course they want to straighten it or use the curling iron. I'm done with professional stylists.

I went in for a color & a slight trim a couple of months ago & explained that I had been growing out my layers for years & only had one left and that I just wanted a dusting at the ends. I also told her I had gone through hair loss about 1& 1/2 years ago so I was really trying to grow out my hair & get some of my thickness back. When she was ready to cut she told me she wanted to add in layers & thin it out about! Like did you not listen to anything I just explained? Thankfully I spoke up and watched her like a hawk to make sure she didn't take off too much. I don't understand the obsession with always wanting to add in layers or cut it shorter.

Lisa-K
August 9th, 2017, 08:18 AM
I don't have any rules in terms of length; except it should at least cover my neck. I don't think I'll ever go shorter than that. Super long hair used to be my goal, but then I sort of changed my mind along the way, and now I just accept the fact that sometimes I feel like cutting it, and sometimes I feel like growing it out. The one thing I always stay focused on, no matter what, is health. I'm still working on that; it could look even healthier and even more shiny once I've completely grown out the dyed parts. So I'll just have to be patient with that.

With my hair type, I also appreciate the extra bounce and body it has when it's shorter. I wish it could be that way past a certain length, but it gets really flattened by its own weight (which is pretty too, but I go back and forth between both).

OhSuzi
August 9th, 2017, 09:55 AM
So it's just a few days past the 1 year mark since I joined here and decided to grow out my pixie.
In 1 year with no hair cuts, I'd sort of reached just beyond shoulder (well the back mulletty bit had - the rest was sort of necky chin with a shaved under cut that had nearly reached chin.

I went to the Hairdressers to celebrate my 1 year abstinence, to finally get it neatened up. It is maybe an inch shorter than expected, (Was hoping for mid neck, & kinda got chin level.
But Oh My god such a lovely hair cut - the relief from the weight of it all, neatening up all the frizziness it's a sexy choppy thick french bob like Marion Cotiallard - whilst I am a bit sad that the length has gone I know it was mainly only the grown out mullet - now that all my hair is a more even length it feels even thicker than before.

Also having it chopped made me realise it did look a bit of a tired mess before - maybe longer hair just isn't something that suits me and thats why it always gets a chop before growing out past shoulder.
Or perhaps it was just the uneven lengths and the fact the hairdressers always style it more beautifully than I can.

Now though rather than having awkward growing out stages I think it will continue to grow in a lovely way and I reckon it'll be nearly shoulder again by Xmas - I've reached there before so I can do it again and hopefulll finally make it beyond!

I thought the choppy bob pic back at the beginning was lovely and for some people shorter hair is easier to deal with & really suits em - others prefer it long & find it more practicle to handle long. If youve NEVER had shorter hair maybe give it a crack - hair grows! although it takes a flippin long time so just really think about it before you commit!

dryxi
August 13th, 2017, 09:31 AM
I've had a pixie for about 10 years, and I love it, but I've decided to try growing it out now. Pixies have a lot of advantages - they're very easy to care for, yout get a free pass when your hair looks wild because it's "fun" and "spunky," you can dye it and abuse it and just chop it off. I never give wind a second thought, and it doesn't stick to my face when I exercise.

...All that being said, browneyedsusan has it right. You're very limited in styles, you have to get it cut frequently, and there's not really a way to "fancy" it up. I can't curl it, or braid it, or put fancy combs in it when the occasion calls for it. I'm a pretty casual person, but it does kinda suck to not be able to really dress up.

It is nice knowing that if something happens and long hair just doesn't suit me, or I get a catastrophic haircut or something, I know pixies suit me. I have options. ;)

sarahthegemini
August 13th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Yep, I'm considering chopping to chin length or something. My hair thins drastically after then anyway, I get snapping every time I bun my hair, it gets greasy quickly and it's just generally a pain in the butt. If it were shorter I'd be able to wash it daily so at least it will look full every day rather than clean but a bit meh the day after washing.

sarahthegemini
August 13th, 2017, 09:43 AM
Oh plus having my hair up actually makes me look even younger, but I hate wearing my hair down at this length because I hate long shed hairs :shudder:

Garnetgem
August 13th, 2017, 01:11 PM
I cannot imagine wanting short hair again...mine hasn't been shorter than MBL since my early 20's..

Jo Ann
August 13th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Only if by "shorter" you mean "freshly trimmed"...I don't like how short hair looks on me at ALL! I've never been one to "style" it--just wash and go.

"Styling" has never been my strong suit, but I CAN do different buns! :p

frolickingfairy
August 14th, 2017, 05:55 AM
Meee! Hair is currently at 29 inches from forehead to ends, which doesn't really seem that long compared to other people's hair I see on the streets, but for me it's just too long! I LOVE all the things you can do with long hair and it makes me feel like a princess. Unfortunately, my hair has a horrible texture so it never looks nice unless it's curled, and it's too long right now for my bendy rollers.

So in a month's time, I'm chopping it to just below shoulder length. Unless I get cold feet, of course.:P