PDA

View Full Version : Is this alright for a boy?

brooks
July 25th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Im 17 at the moment and trying to grow out my hair. My hair is not too long, its only 10cm (4in). I wear my sister's hairbands to keep my front of the hair out of my eyes. I love wearing hairbands i dont know why, i just love the feeling i get when i find myself wearing something my sisters use for their hair. I sometimes put my hair up in pigtail(s) when no one is home or i even use my sister's hair clips just for fun to see how would i look with it. I feel like growing out my hair and doing what other girls do with their hair, like style their hair up in a bun, ballerina bun, high ponytails and what not. I am not gay or anything, I am straight. Is this okay for a boy to do this stuff?

Ankjo
July 25th, 2017, 12:33 PM
I think nothing is wrong with that! You do you. :) If you have a passion for hair, it shouldn't be weird just because you are a boy. ;)

brooks
July 25th, 2017, 12:35 PM
thank you! :)

Obsidian
July 25th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Not weird at all. You do what makes you happy, don't worry about what other people think. I'll toss this out there too, sexual orientation has nothing to do with hair style or the things you want to do with your hair.
You should check the other post you made, I linked to some pictures of one of out male members who has incredible hair and wears buns. He is very manly IMO.

reilly0167
July 25th, 2017, 01:19 PM
I think nothing is wrong with that! You do you. :) If you have a passion for hair, it shouldn't be weird just because you are a boy. ;)

Absolutely this, you do you.

Ondine11
July 25th, 2017, 02:16 PM
GO FOR IT! My husband is straight, too, & he has SL 2c waves & curls. He wears it in a man bun, a French braid, a hair band...all kinds of styles. YOU are the arbiter of your look. Anyone who would judge you for something that banal, is someone you do NOT need in your life. Your hair might serve to separate the wheat from the chaff.

brooks
July 25th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Not weird at all. You do what makes you happy, don't worry about what other people think. I'll toss this out there too, sexual orientation has nothing to do with hair style or the things you want to do with your hair.
You should check the other post you made, I linked to some pictures of one of out male members who has incredible hair and wears buns. He is very manly IMO.

Yes i did check it out! Thank you so much! :)

GO FOR IT! My husband is straight, too, & he has SL 2c waves & curls. He wears it in a man bun, a French braid, a hair band...all kinds of styles. YOU are the arbiter of your look. Anyone who would judge you for something that banal, is someone you do NOT need in your life. Your hair might serve to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Thank you for supporting me and your husband! :) and what is SL 2c? By the way what other hairstyles does he do?

guywithlonghair
July 25th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Whats up man. I am an 18 year old guy (straight as well, not that it matters) and I am actually just starting my hair journey as well. My hair is currently 4.5 inches. I've wanted long hair all my life and I went to a catholic high school so i unfortunately was not allowed to have my hair very long and also my parents prefer me with shorter hair. Now that I am headed off to college, I am allowed to control how long it is and I don't know how long I plan on growing it. I have thoughts about how cool it would be to have it to like mid back and waist length but ill see when i get to shoulder first. I also enjoy when people play with my hair lol, I have 3 sisters and they forced me to learn how to braid and stuff like that so I did and now that my hair is longer, they braid it in like 2 french braids and one time they did cornrows hahah (that looked really stupid on a white guy). But anyway I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone and message me if u wanna talk.

ETA:

Whats up man. I am an 18 year old guy (straight as well, not that it matters) and I am actually just starting my hair journey as well. My hair is currently 4.5 inches. I've wanted long hair all my life and I went to a catholic high school so i unfortunately was not allowed to have my hair very long and also my parents prefer me with shorter hair. Now that I am headed off to college, I am allowed to control how long it is and I don't know how long I plan on growing it. I have thoughts about how cool it would be to have it to like mid back and waist length but ill see when i get to shoulder first. I also enjoy when people play with my hair lol, I have 3 sisters and they forced me to learn how to braid and stuff like that so I did and now that my hair is longer, they braid it in like 2 french braids and one time they did cornrows hahah (that looked really stupid on a white guy). But anyway I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone and message me if u wanna talk.

also how long do you think you want to grow your hair and what type of hair do you have?

brooks
July 25th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Thank you! :) what other hairstyles should i do after my hair grows longer?

lapushka
July 25th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Thank you for supporting me and your husband! :) and what is SL 2c? By the way what other hairstyles does he do?

This might help,
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54874

along with this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=126309

melesine
July 25th, 2017, 03:09 PM
You are not the first male that I know who enjoys these things. Have fun.

brooks
July 25th, 2017, 03:18 PM
also how long do you think you want to grow your hair and what type of hair do you have?
Ahhhh youre lucky that your sisters play with your hair mow and taight you how to do other hairstyles. And i have no clue how long i'll grow it to, i will also see after my hair gets to my shoulder. And i have hair like a Brown person would cause my bacground is mostly Indian.

This might help,
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54874

along with this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=126309

Thank you so much! :)

You are not the first male that I know who enjoys these things. Have fun.
Thank you :)

Ondine11
July 25th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Here is a photo of my husband (I have his permission to share his photos here) with a branch of weigela in his hair. SL= shoulder length. 2c refers to the curl pattern. As you can see, it is a gorgeous deep golden blonde, & up close, you an see the fine grey threads meandering through it.

http://i68.tinypic.com/j60vu8.jpg

brooks
July 25th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Here is a photo of my husband (I have his permission to share his photos here) with a branch of weigela in his hair. SL= shoulder length. 2c refers to the curl pattern. As you can see, it is a gorgeous deep golden blonde, & up close, you an see the fine grey threads meandering through it.

http://i68.tinypic.com/j60vu8.jpg
Thank you for explaining! And ahhhh his hair are really nice!! :)

oatmeal1991
July 25th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Of course it's okay! Any person of any gender should be able to enjoy having whatever length hair they want, wearing whatever hairstyles they want, and using whatever hair accessories they want : )

ETA: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110732 < I don't think that thread is super active but you could try bumping it, if you wanted to converse with other men with long hair!

brooks
July 25th, 2017, 05:06 PM

But in future if i wore my haire up in a ballerina bun or high topknot, dont you think that looks a bit girly? (Even tho i want to do hairstyles that girls do)

Of course it's okay! Any person of any gender should be able to enjoy having whatever length hair they want, wearing whatever hairstyles they want, and using whatever hair accessories they want : )

ETA: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110732 < I don't think that thread is super active but you could try bumping it, if you wanted to converse with other men with long hair!

Thank you for that thread! :) and girls/guys wont be weirded out if a guy wore his hair up in a high ponytail?

Aredhel
July 25th, 2017, 05:26 PM
I think more guys should wear their hair in buns and high ponies to be honest. I love the look. I've never associated certain looks with sexuality myself. I'm not sure what a "gay" or "straight" person is supposed to even look like, other than just like anyone else. :) My DH has waist length hair and he gets me to braid it sometimes.

Here is a braid I did for him a few months ago (his hair was shorter then; he chops it to MBL when it gets too long for his liking):
http://i63.tinypic.com/2ivk3yg.jpg

Wildcat Diva
July 25th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Sometimes some other people have some strong thoughts and feelings about what hair should be and for whom. These people's opinions and feelings don't have to matter to you. If you want to pay attention to people who like your hair the way that you like your hair, then cool! Surely there will be plenty of those people!!!

Sometimes certain styles are associated with a gender in a culture. This is not a big deal to challenge, in most places. My sons all have long hair, and my husband too.

Sometimes my middle son gets called 'ma'am, I think because he has some kind of facial features combined with his long hair that honestly confuses people and they don't know they messed up. It's okay, and no one really gets upset about this, including my son.

My husband is getting more comfortable wearing a kilt outside the house even though it's not normally something done around here (even though I do understand that it's a guy thing and not a girl thing). It's all good.

Also, check out this channel. It's a really good one.
https://youtu.be/2_8n5-3dtfs

yahirwaO.o
July 25th, 2017, 06:10 PM
No worries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Im also a guy who happens to have a deep passion about hair stuff! You could check out my album and I have rocked every style you could possibly think with long hair (except hair extensions or neon pink accesories)

I've done from emo to buzz cut, classic lenght and those in pigtails, high ponies, dutch french braids, conrows, pin curls, roller sets, curling iron, crimps, sock buns, anything in between and my personal favorite flat ironed sleek straight hair!!!!!!

Currently im going for a nice blunt bob, and im rocking every half up till I get to my goal.

I enjoy my hair in private too and do all silly hair flips and I have even imagine myself as a guy 70's long hair galore like lets say..... Cher ha ha ha. :wigtongue

I remember there was another thread not so long ago that kinda was related to people who crazy, silly or goofy intimate stuff when alone with their hair.

Just enjoy the journey and try not to over obsess about it. (it does happen a lot with people in this forum including me)

ETA:

My DH has waist length hair and he gets me to braid it sometimes.

Here is a braid I did for him a few months ago (his hair was shorter then; he chops it to MBL when it gets too long for his liking):

Your husband has an effin amazing braid and mane!!!!!!! :agape:

It does look amazing! :applause:applause:applause

enting
July 25th, 2017, 06:17 PM
But in future if i wore my haire up in a ballerina bun or high topknot, dont you think that looks a bit girly? (Even tho i want to do hairstyles that girls do)

Paging Rowie! Come show off your sleek topknots!

I definitely second checking out all the styles that the men on the forum do. Wear your hair as you like and own it! Be confident in your choices and that's all people will see: the confidence. Ondine11's husband is wearing a flower wreath! Pink! It sounds super girly, but I don't think anyone could look at that picture and think he's a girl.

Even if you wanted to do these hairstyles *in order* to look girly (and I'm not saying you are, I'm saying even if), I'm pretty sure we'd be here supporting you, too. Hair is glorious. Hairstyles are glorious. Braids and buns and even just swinging loose are all wonderful. It's funny, when I was younger I always thought I looked more boyish when i had my hair in a french braid. It was something about how my hair was all back from my face without any softening bits. Now, I take my hairstyles and how I look as all part of me. Boyish, girly, it's whether you like how it looks and feels on you. Some people here at LHC have even remarked that the same style on a man seems masculine to them when on a woman they thought it feminine. Try a style out around the house for a while until you get used to it. Then when you go out with it you'll be secure in the knowledge that you can rock it.

Wildcat Diva
July 25th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Recently my husband wore some Viking braids and his kilt to a local bar where one of the off duty bartenders we have talked to before came over and scoffed at his hair and was like "dude! WHY would you do that to your hair!?!?" And I was like "I did that" and that guy was like "WHYYYY would
You do that to his hair!?!" and he was clearly disapproving. Whatever. He has the right to his opinion, but that guy has a taste in fashion and music that I know to be downright unappealing to me. No wonder he didn't like it. So what.

You may encounter people like this... my advice is don't worry over those people. You don't have to share their opinion, if it's negative. I've always found it worthwhile to have a unique style that pleases me.

I hope you are starting to feel more comfortable in your style too.

EdG
July 25th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Brooks - don't worry about what others think of your hair. Hair is supposed to be long, and humans have invented many styles and accessories to manage long hair.

Some people here at LHC have even remarked that the same style on a man seems masculine to them when on a woman they thought it feminine. My theory is that long hair makes people seem more like people. :)
Ed

dryxi
July 25th, 2017, 06:46 PM

You should check out the Super Shorties thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405). At 4.5" length, you are actually longer than me (chick with short hair.)

triumphator!
July 25th, 2017, 07:40 PM
There are a lot of cool male members on this site, I hope you get to connect with them!

Ondine11
July 25th, 2017, 07:50 PM
I think more guys should wear their hair in buns and high ponies to be honest. I love the look. I've never associated certain looks with sexuality myself. I'm not sure what a "gay" or "straight" person is supposed to even look like, other than just like anyone else. :) My DH has waist length hair and he gets me to braid it sometimes.

What a thick, rich, shiny braid! Your husband's hair is gorgeous!

Aredhel
July 25th, 2017, 07:52 PM
Your husband has an effin amazing braid and mane!!!!!!! :agape:

It does look amazing! :applause:applause:applause

What a thick, rich, shiny braid! Your husband's hair is gorgeous!
Thank you Yahirwa and Ondine!! :flower: He'll be glad to hear it; he is self-conscious sometimes about his thin hair!

JadedByEntropy
July 25th, 2017, 08:02 PM
there was a guy in my University class who had shoulder+ curls and would get the girls in our department to help him braid it down. It looked great. Remember cleanliness is really important with all lengths of hair...my brother never really understood that and his long hair was icky.
from what i've seen, i think a theme is that guys do buns and braids sleeker or closer to the head than girls do. I've also seen a lot more long haired guys recently and its been really nice.

Beware, a lot of really great styles girls do end at the beginning of the highschool years. Keep pigtails below ear level. i got severely mocked for that when i was 17. :shrug: anything childish will look childish regardless of gender.
and don't let anyone pressure you into questioning your sexuality or gender just because you like something. As a girl in science, it is hard to convince people i can do the work, and at the same time be a feminine woman, who likes men. Don't let them change you with their opinions. Make your own mold of who you want to be.

brooks
July 25th, 2017, 09:08 PM

Your husband has lovely hair oh my god!! I would love my hair to grow out like his did! And thank you for supporting!!! :)

Sometimes some other people have some strong thoughts and feelings about what hair should be and for whom. These people's opinions and feelings don't have to matter to you. If you want to pay attention to people who like your hair the way that you like your hair, then cool! Surely there will be plenty of those people!!!

Sometimes certain styles are associated with a gender in a culture. This is not a big deal to challenge, in most places. My sons all have long hair, and my husband too.

Sometimes my middle son gets called 'ma'am, I think because he has some kind of facial features combined with his long hair that honestly confuses people and they don't know they messed up. It's okay, and no one really gets upset about this, including my son.

My husband is getting more comfortable wearing a kilt outside the house even though it's not normally something done around here (even though I do understand that it's a guy thing and not a girl thing). It's all good.

Also, check out this channel. It's a really good one.
https://youtu.be/2_8n5-3dtfs

Youre right, i should be doing what i like and not worry about what others think. And thank you for the video, it will help me in the future! :)

No worries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Im also a guy who happens to have a deep passion about hair stuff! You could check out my album and I have rocked every style you could possibly think with long hair (except hair extensions or neon pink accesories)

I've done from emo to buzz cut, classic lenght and those in pigtails, high ponies, dutch french braids, conrows, pin curls, roller sets, curling iron, crimps, sock buns, anything in between and my personal favorite flat ironed sleek straight hair!!!!!!

Currently im going for a nice blunt bob, and im rocking every half up till I get to my goal.

I enjoy my hair in private too and do all silly hair flips and I have even imagine myself as a guy 70's long hair galore like lets say..... Cher ha ha ha. :wigtongue

I remember there was another thread not so long ago that kinda was related to people who crazy, silly or goofy intimate stuff when alone with their hair.

Just enjoy the journey and try not to over obsess about it. (it does happen a lot with people in this forum including me)

Damn! Im guessing you have tried every hairstyle that i want to try and that is amazing. When you did these hairstyles, did you ever get called out for looking too girly?

Paging Rowie! Come show off your sleek topknots!

I definitely second checking out all the styles that the men on the forum do. Wear your hair as you like and own it! Be confident in your choices and that's all people will see: the confidence. Ondine11's husband is wearing a flower wreath! Pink! It sounds super girly, but I don't think anyone could look at that picture and think he's a girl.

Even if you wanted to do these hairstyles *in order* to look girly (and I'm not saying you are, I'm saying even if), I'm pretty sure we'd be here supporting you, too. Hair is glorious. Hairstyles are glorious. Braids and buns and even just swinging loose are all wonderful. It's funny, when I was younger I always thought I looked more boyish when i had my hair in a french braid. It was something about how my hair was all back from my face without any softening bits. Now, I take my hairstyles and how I look as all part of me. Boyish, girly, it's whether you like how it looks and feels on you. Some people here at LHC have even remarked that the same style on a man seems masculine to them when on a woman they thought it feminine. Try a style out around the house for a while until you get used to it. Then when you go out with it you'll be secure in the knowledge that you can rock it.

Thank you so much for the support! :) and sometimes i dont know, i feel like i look a bit girly but i still love it. Like the time i wore my sisters hair clips, that kind of looked a bit girly but i loved it. So im pretty sure if like ballerina bun or topknot looks girly on me, im going to love it!

Recently my husband wore some Viking braids and his kilt to a local bar where one of the off duty bartenders we have talked to before came over and scoffed at his hair and was like "dude! WHY would you do that to your hair!?!?" And I was like "I did that" and that guy was like "WHYYYY would
You do that to his hair!?!" and he was clearly disapproving. Whatever. He has the right to his opinion, but that guy has a taste in fashion and music that I know to be downright unappealing to me. No wonder he didn't like it. So what.

You may encounter people like this... my advice is don't worry over those people. You don't have to share their opinion, if it's negative. I've always found it worthwhile to have a unique style that pleases me.

I hope you are starting to feel more comfortable in your style too.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me, because i know for a fact i will be running in to people like the bartender. But im just going to ignore them and do what i want :)

Brooks - don't worry about what others think of your hair. Hair is supposed to be long, and humans have invented many styles and accessories to manage long hair.

My theory is that long hair makes people seem more like people. :)
Ed

I agree with you!

There are a lot of cool male members on this site, I hope you get to connect with them!

Thank you!

there was a guy in my University class who had shoulder+ curls and would get the girls in our department to help him braid it down. It looked great. Remember cleanliness is really important with all lengths of hair...my brother never really understood that and his long hair was icky.
from what i've seen, i think a theme is that guys do buns and braids sleeker or closer to the head than girls do. I've also seen a lot more long haired guys recently and its been really nice.

Beware, a lot of really great styles girls do end at the beginning of the highschool years. Keep pigtails below ear level. i got severely mocked for that when i was 17. :shrug: anything childish will look childish regardless of gender.
and don't let anyone pressure you into questioning your sexuality or gender just because you like something. As a girl in science, it is hard to convince people i can do the work, and at the same time be a feminine woman, who likes men. Don't let them change you with their opinions. Make your own mold of who you want to be.
Thank you so much for the support!

Wildcat Diva
July 25th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience with me, because i know for a fact i will be running in to people like the bartender. But im just going to ignore them and do what i want :)

Good. And you're welcome.
It's not always easy or comfortable to do this. If you need support in this, just ask.

brooks
July 25th, 2017, 09:41 PM
Good. And you're welcome.
It's not always easy or comfortable to do this. If you need support in this, just ask.

I have a question. If your husband was to put his hair up in a high ponytail or lets say one of the girliest hairstyle, ballerina bun, would you be weirded out by that or what? Im asking you this cause youre a girl and i want to know girl's opinion about this.

LadyCelestina
July 26th, 2017, 02:10 AM
I have a question. If your husband was to put his hair up in a high ponytail or lets say one of the girliest hairstyle, ballerina bun, would you be weirded out by that or what? Im asking you this cause youre a girl and i want to know girl's opinion about this.

Can I answer this? I think my long haired bf looks awesome with both of these :D

Corvana
July 26th, 2017, 04:20 AM

I'm also not who you asked, but if my husband did (he can't, he likes his head shaved haha) then great for him. I'd help him make sure it was centered and that the back looked good.

But of course, he used to be on the cast of a Rocky Horror Picture Show production, and has run around (literally run) in heels, makeup, thigh high fishnets and a corset. In fact we met at that production. So neither of us have very "strong" senses of gender roles :laugh: If someone is happy and not hurting anyone, who are we to judge?

I also have a friend who's gender fluid. He plays with gender, with his long hair and girly outfits, but he also wears "traditional dude" stuff, too. Overall, he's himself, and he's happy. And that's what matters. Not what other people think of his choice in clothing or hair or makeup, but what he thinks of it, and what he thinks of himself.

It's difficult to embrace yourself if you're different from what "acceptable". That's one reason I'm glad for the internet. When I was a teen (oh so long ago LOL), the internet was smaller and it was harder to find those spaces where I could be 100% me unashamedly. But those spaces exist now! And often they intersect with, or have little pockets in, other spaces for other things! Take LHC for example. Here is overall a community for those who want to grow their hair, but there are little pockets of parenting forums and pet boards!

Anyway! This is getting long winded lol. Just, do your best to be you. You're the only you there is!

reilly0167
July 26th, 2017, 04:39 AM
Thank you! :) what other hairstyles should i do after my hair grows longer?
I wotk at a theme park. And i see alot of guys with low pony tails, braids ( french and dutch) man buns, loose. They even use headbands, pins AND hair stick(s) i even spotted a guy with a hair stick that look like a sword! Major cool on that one. Etsy has wonderful hair toys like this. Also you can look into men and women magazines and see what inspires you.

No, not at all. I see it all the time. Dont give a hootie to what others think. Do what makes you happy=)

Aredhel
July 26th, 2017, 04:45 AM
Your husband has lovely hair oh my god!! I would love my hair to grow out like his did! And thank you for supporting!!! :) :)
Thank you for the compliment!! :flower: You can do it too!

I know this question wasn't for me either, but no I wouldn't be weirded out by mine wearing a high bun. Unfortunately he wouldn't do it, but I would not mind in the slightest if he did, I'd actually find it really sexy on him.:shrug:

reilly0167
July 26th, 2017, 04:46 AM
Thank you for that thread! :) and girls/guys wont be weirded out if a guy wore his hair up in a high ponytail?
They shouldn't be and you should not care.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 26th, 2017, 04:52 AM
I think a high ponytail, or a high bun, or a low bun. or a braid, or pretty much any hairstyle would look great on a guy. You do what you want to do. Many of us longhairs face criticism from folks who want us to look like their version of "normal". Well, why should we? Looking different from "normal" requires a thick skin... :)

Aredhel
July 26th, 2017, 07:52 AM
They shouldn't be and you should not care.

I think a high ponytail, or a high bun, or a low bun. or a braid, or pretty much any hairstyle would look great on a guy. You do what you want to do. Many of us longhairs face criticism from folks who want us to look like their version of "normal". Well, why should we? Looking different from "normal" requires a thick skin... :)

Agreed! You do you. We all get judged by others daily, long hair or short hair, so who really cares. If they don't judge you for your long hair they'll find other things to judge you on. May as well just live your life as you please and ignore those people.:)

Xavien_Grey
July 26th, 2017, 08:03 AM
Hi, its been a while for me, hvn't logged in but i have been lurking in the background. Hair is hair and as a guy i can tell you that wanting to do something with it is absolutely fine. i was nervous too in the beginning, but at the end of the day its yours and only you can own it. Scrunchies, hair elastics, clips, etc are par for the course especially in the beginning when its not quite long enough to pull back. I sported a David Beckham style hair band for about a year just out of necessity. Once you can bun it, hairtoys become amazing. Its an unequal market but ive found simplicity is a good rule. Simple aluminum u-pins, wood hair forks in a contrasting color to your hair, carved sticks, etc. I know there a good number of us on here, feel free to ask if you have any questions!!

macguffin
July 26th, 2017, 08:37 AM
No reason you can't do what you want with your hair or feel comfortable with your hair. I generally wear simple styles (down, bun, ponytail) but every once in a while I try out other things at home just for kicks.

spidermom
July 26th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Yes! Get excited! Experiment with your hair! Enjoy!

melesine
July 26th, 2017, 10:18 AM
I understand why you're asking, as much as I don't care what other people think of me, I also really don't like being stared at. For me, it's usually my clothes, makeup and tattoos that stand out. Not so much my hair. With things that we can change, like hair, makeup and clothing what I learned is that if I feel nervous the first time I just suck it up and do it. I ignore anyone that stares or acts weird. It's their problem not mine. I live in a conservative area and I'm not that outlandish but compared to the norm I certainly stand out. I've done this for so long that I rarely feel uncomfortable anymore but if I do I completely forget about it within a few minutes.

ETA:

Agreed! You do you. We all get judged by others daily, long hair or short hair, so who really cares. If they don't judge you for your long hair they'll find other things to judge you on. May as well just live your life as you please and ignore those people.:)

Yep!

My favorite sayings on that subject

I'm not here to fit into your world, but to create my own

You can't control what makes you feel alive.

The world is going to judge you no matter what you do, so live your life the way you want to.

iforgotmylogin
July 26th, 2017, 10:48 AM
I'm a hetero 30 something male and I wear my hair in a high ponytail (and high loop-then-wrap-around buns) all the time, it's just practical, particularly in a warm climate

papayatree
July 26th, 2017, 11:26 AM

Dude, I am in the same boat! Can't wait

marvel-lover
July 26th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Do whatever makes you happy! Don't let other people's thoughts about how your hair should be, or what it means to be a guy, affect your decisions. As long as you feel good about yourself, that's all that matters! Good luck on your hair journey! Can't wait to read more!

goneJackal
July 26th, 2017, 01:37 PM
My advice is not to worry too much about what people may think, and just do what makes you happy. http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_blackhair.gif

I was a bit nervous the first time I wore hairsticks outside home.
To this day, I have never seen another male with a hairstick around here.

But, during Summer, it felt SO MUCH better with a bun than with a ponytail (and elastics don't hold my hair in a bun) that I decided to do it.
My friends were curious about it the first time they saw, but never again.

I prefer to keep low buns, as my hair is very heavy, and I do think it looks a bit feminine.
Being male and straight (and currently single), I'd rather people didn't get a feminine vibe from me, but my comfort comes first.

tealeafdancer
July 26th, 2017, 01:47 PM
I think long hair is beautiful on boys and men. But who cares what I think! It's all about what you like and prefer! You do you as someone already wisely stated :)

trolleypup
July 27th, 2017, 12:07 AM
Do whatever makes you happy! Don't let other people's thoughts about how your hair should be, or what it means to be a guy, affect your decisions. As long as you feel good about yourself, that's all that matters! Good luck on your hair journey! Can't wait to read more!

I think long hair is beautiful on boys and men. But who cares what I think! It's all about what you like and prefer! You do you as someone already wisely stated :)

Wise words here, nothing for me to add.

Do what pleases you, be confident with what you do. I've found that the naysayers are pretty much always have attractiveness deficits...and ugly goes right to the core.

As for pigtails and ballerina buns and high buns...I'm not a fan of pigtails (unless, you know, the person can pull them off, not me), cranking it down that tight and neat is too much work for me, but my usual bun is near that position...and high buns is a sure way of getting a nasty headache. But stereotypically girly styles I'm fine with, but too much work, and I don't have anyone who likes to play with my hair currently.

lizardspots
July 27th, 2017, 07:51 PM
I concur with everyone's comments that you should do whatever makes you feel happy. I know it can be hard, if you live in a community/family who have strong and critical opinions.

Personally, I think a straight manly guy with long hair is HOT. Makes me think of rock stars. Unfortunately my husband is a 1-inch-buzz-cut kind of guy, but a girl can dream....

rowie
July 27th, 2017, 11:24 PM
I can't live without my headbands. It's become a necessity for the lifestyle for my current length. You do know that there are headbands sold for men and also unisex line at Amazon. Although I've gone away from wide head bands into the multi purpose headbands which give me the best coverage and protection for my big head. I think I was also like you in the beginning, but once you've dedicated many years of growing, you reach a point of not caring what other people think about you. Most important is if you want long hair you have to focus on your goals and ignore others and stay focused with other things going on in your life, it just makes the growing journey move a bit faster IMHO.