PDA

View Full Version : very confused with my hair

lora410
October 27th, 2008, 07:34 AM
OK so typically I use non-cone conditioners. Since my ends seem to be knotting up more then normal, and I just trimmed not long ago I tried a condish with dimethicone. My hair liked it when usually it will knot up terribly. Does this mean my hair has converted and changed?

Also I am losing my wave. My hair is almost all straight now and I think it may be from the henna. I would blame it on cones but my hair has been doing this for awhile. And I typically don't use cones. Another fellow LHC'ers hair also went straight from hennaing. It's like my hair just totally changed :(

JessTheMess
October 27th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I've noticed that my hair has been doing the same lately. It has been getting more and more tangly. I think I need to clarify though.
Also, after a recent henna, my hair went from at least 2A to a 1B/C. I miss my wave...I guess it's true when they say you don't know what you've got until it's gone. :shrug: Ah well, at least my hair is shiny and stronger.

Hypnotica
October 27th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Flow with it.
Your hair will probably change texture several times and confuse the heck out of you. Mine do with some months apart.

I recently went back to no-cone after being on cones for a while. I like them, but they build up so fast in my hair and actually distort the colour something ridicilous.

Curlsgirl
October 27th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I haven't used henna but I have heard that it does tend to straighten hair on some people.

As for cones, my hair usually likes them for a couple of times or more even but then starts getting icky again even when I use a sulfate shampoo. That's why I mostly don't use cones. I agree also that hair changes from time to time and you have to adjust the routine. I hate it but I am getting better at sensing what it needs.

misstwist
October 27th, 2008, 08:13 PM
If the humidity is going down where you live that may also affect your wave. My hair is always a little less wavy in dry midwestern winters and when we go to Arizona.

Friesiangirl
October 27th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I feel for you when it comes to the hair type changing, because my hair changes everyday. One morning curly, another day straight, sheesh.

Hayley

RavennaNight
October 27th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Im back and forth with cones. Since I started hennaing, I no longer need cones like a crutch to keep my hair smooth, but I use them occasionally because I have some products that I love too much. I have also found my hair is starting to straighten out a little more after each henna. I find if I use the VO5's with the soy protein my hair starts getting knotty and hellish.

jojo
October 28th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I think hair changes texture as it grows anyway, though henna does in some cases make the hair a little less wavy/curly. As for cones, let your hair tell you what it likes, at that time and just go with whatever it prefers.

I use either depending on what I have in, sometimes my hair loves cones other times it protests! Your hair is looking beautiful though Lora so your doing something right. x

Siava
October 28th, 2008, 07:31 AM
If the humidity is going down where you live that may also affect your wave. My hair is always a little less wavy in dry midwestern winters and when we go to Arizona.

This makes sense to me. A cold front just went through wiping out the humidity. All of a sudden, my ends were tangly and felt almost like velcro, but a quick S & D mission resulted in only a few snips. After my last wash I used a little bit of watered down conditioner on my ends after I towel dried and they're doing much better.

Patrycja
October 28th, 2008, 07:40 AM
If it helps you any-my wave also disappeared some after my henna's.

No advice,just had to say that you're not the only one.

Marie99
October 28th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Henna killed most of my waves too. I wonder if we need a poll to figure out if this is common. I Nnever would have gone without my waves. I thought my hair was a boring color and I thought the strengthing effect would be great, but my waves got much more relaxed. I used to be on the verge of curly.

I know its not length weighing it down because I've been trimming and getting rid of the nasties instead of growing. My hair isn't actually anythicker than it was before I started using henna.

ChloeDharma
October 28th, 2008, 08:52 AM
When i joined here my hair was the kind that actually looked loosely curly, curlier than wavey for sure to the point that people would ask if i permed my hair when i washed, moused and dried with a diffuser.
Now my hair s mostly straight, more the straight side of wavey but with quite nice movement to it.
I know it's not a length thing, and i'm not even sure it's a henna thing because i saw the waves grow out whilst hennaing and now i don't henna regularly t all, mybe twice a year on average (purely lazyness not on purpose) and it's straighter than when i was hennaing every 2-4 weeks.
I have heard amla increases curl so that might be an idea to try....and thinking about it when i use it there does seem to be a slight curl activation going on, luckily i really like boh types of hair....i did find making my curls nice quite hard work, well...not hard work as such but they only usually looked nice just after wasing and styling it when going for the big curly hair look. That said, i'm quite missing them now i writ this, even though i mostly straightened mine, well...not quite straighten, just pulled the curl out a bit to loosen them up and make them eaier to handle.
Ok, i'll shut up rambling on about those......
The condtioner with cones thing....if your hair likes it i say use it, if you are worried about build up what about using a cone conditioner one wash then a cone free the next? Though i found when i was using exclusively CO washing and never clarifying more than a vinegar rinse i never got build up from using coney conditioners.

avraea
October 28th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I wonder if we need a poll to figure out if this is common.
We do have one ;)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1871

lora, you are definitely not the only one. My hair used to be closer to 2a than 1c, and it's now only 1b, occasionally 1c. I struggle with whether or not I want to continue using henna because I really did love my waves.

lora410
October 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM

we just got a cold snap maybe twice in two weeks. the rest of the time it is still in the 80's. This though with the wave things happened after my last henna about a month or so ago.