PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can protein overload cause split ends near root?

tamiko
July 24th, 2017, 06:48 PM
Hi there. I'm at my wit's end with what to do about my hair. Would appreciate any help I can get.

In May I decided to do a keratin treatment called the Pravana Fusion Texture Control. After the first wash (after waiting one week after the treatment) I noticed a crazy amount of hair fall. The hair fall continued until one month after my treatment when I noticed terrible breakage at the back of my head.

Picture 1: Initial breakage. (https://imgur.com/a/GlHh3)

I then googled and concluded I must have had protein overload. My old regime up until that point was:

- HASK Keratin shampoo + conditioner
- CHI silk infusion leave-in + oil (contains keratin)
- L'Oreal Sleek It Heat Protectant
- Heat on 370, flat-ironed my hair once-twice a week

After this, I changed my routine to:

- Garnier's Whole Blend Shea Butter & Avacoda Oil shampoo + conditioner
- Neutrogena Triple Repair Mask (as a deep conditioner with a shower cap for 30 minutes)
- OGX Moroccan Oil
- L'Oreal Sleek It Heat Protectant
- Heat on 350

Two weeks after this new routine, I noticed breakage at the nape of my neck. Picture 2: More breakage. (http://imgur.com/a/LU3Yi)

I'm now four weeks into this routine and my hair is now seems better. It is softer and there is drastically little shedding compared to before! Breakage still happens, but now (2 months after initial keratin treatment, and one month with current routine) my hair seems well-balanced when I do strand test when my hair is wet.

HOWEVER, I have been noticing split ends near my side parting all the way up to 1" from my root. The split ends look like the 'long' split ends here in this picture (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-60qieWmDBXU/Vgnwq5q1fBI/AAAAAAAADCk/X-XYQTd2qus/s1600/split%2Bends.png). The split ends is happening at a level similar to the breakage that's been happening everywhere on my head. This is also really bad because you can see little 1" hairs standing straight up at my hair part. Changing my part is not an option because of the hair breakage I'm experiencing elsewhere.

TLDR: Had Keratin treatment, followed that up using Keratin shampoo, leave-in and oils for one month. Hair broke off. Swapped to moisture treatment. Now I have spilt ends 1" from my root. Looking for advice before stress makes me lose all my hair.

My questions:

1. Were these split ends from the keratin treatment? The level of breakage (1" from root) seems to be in line with the timing from when I got the treatment (almost 2 months ago). Can protein overload cause split ends really high up the hair shaft?

2. Or is there something wrong with my current treatment that could cause breakage? I know heat is bad but I used to flat-iron my hair at 410 for a full year (I know.. I was dumb for a year) with no visible damage except to my ends.

3. I'm not sure if my hair is balanced. When I do the strand test when wet, my hair seems to bounce back to its original length. When I do it with dry hair, my hair stretches a little before snapping. I can't stretch it out a lot, and it doesn't bounce back like it does when it's wet.

lapushka
July 25th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Keratin treatments aren't "regular" protein treatments that you get from conditioners, let's just make that distinction. A keratin treatment is a lot like relaxing the hair and yes, you can get breakage at the root from that. Gosh, I've seen the picture, that is terrible!

I would not get those treatments *ever* again, and just pamper and baby your hair from now on.

Good luck!

tamiko
July 25th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Keratin treatments aren't "regular" protein treatments that you get from conditioners, let's just make that distinction. A keratin treatment is a lot like relaxing the hair and yes, you can get breakage at the root from that. Gosh, I've seen the picture, that is terrible!

I would not get those treatments *ever* again, and just pamper and baby your hair from now on.

Good luck!

Thanks! I understand that most keratin treatments are damaging, but from what I understand they do give out some keratin. It seems like my hair might have been protein overloaded even before the treatment because I was using Tresemme's Anti-Breakage.

I'm just so upset because I've done Japanese rebonding for years and I've never had breakage like this :(. So is it safe to say that these new split ends aren't happening from my moisture-intensive routine?

Do you have any styling tips? This type of breakage is happening at my part and I honestly look crazy with so many hairs sticking up.

sarahthegemini
July 25th, 2017, 01:26 PM
I think there is some confusion here - a keratin treatment isn't a treatment at all in the pampering sense. In fact it's very damaging as you've experienced. They need to stop calling it a treatment tbh :-/ A keratin treatment isn't the same as protein overload.

tamiko
July 25th, 2017, 03:00 PM
I think there is some confusion here - a keratin treatment isn't a treatment at all in the pampering sense. In fact it's very damaging as you've experienced. They need to stop calling it a treatment tbh :-/ A keratin treatment isn't the same as protein overload.

Wow, really? Is it really more damaging than Japanese rebonding? I understand that it's not really a 'treatment' but more of a straightening technique. I've done straightening before through japanese rebonding and relaxing, but I've never had damage this disastrous. The 'treatment' I had even said there was no formaldehyde, sodium hydroxide, thio or aldehydes.

I suspected protein overload because of all the protein I was using on my hair before and after the treatment. Should I start including protein back into my regimen then?

Also, what's a safe way to style hair so the breakage isn't obvious?

Lizzie.torp
July 25th, 2017, 03:16 PM
I don't know anything about the treatment but as far as styling, you could go for scarves or folded bandanas to wrap around. If the breakage is everywhere, you'll probably have to cover it to hide it unless you want to use gel of some sort.

lapushka
July 25th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Wow, really? Is it really more damaging than Japanese rebonding? I understand that it's not really a 'treatment' but more of a straightening technique. I've done straightening before through japanese rebonding and relaxing, but I've never had damage this disastrous. The 'treatment' I had even said there was no formaldehyde, sodium hydroxide, thio or aldehydes.

I suspected protein overload because of all the protein I was using on my hair before and after the treatment. Should I start including protein back into my regimen then?

Also, what's a safe way to style hair so the breakage isn't obvious?

Is there a way you can go without the straightening? What's your hair texture like, maybe you can let it grow out and go natural? I know that for some that is a big step.

I don't think keratin comes without formaldehyde, but I could be mistaken.

Please remember, it's not the protein that did it to you from a conditioner, it's this "keratin treatment" that is the culprit here.

meteor
July 25th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Keratin straightening and Japanese rebonding are still types of "relaxing" (milder and technically deemed "semi-permanent", but still damaging). Even if it the product states that it doesn't contain formaldehyde, sodium hydroxide, thio or aldehydes, please do check the complete ingredients list - it must contain some chemical(s) to straighten hair, otherwise it wouldn't work.

As for the concern about the products or hydrolyzed proteins, I don't really see anything in your regular S&C products to result in that kind of breakage. The damage in the photos looks almost like a "chemical cut" or serious mechanical damage, and that's not something regular S&C do. :flower:

- Heat on 370, flat-ironed my hair once-twice a week
[...]
After this, I changed my routine to:
[...]
- Heat on 350
[...]

2. Or is there something wrong with my current treatment that could cause breakage? I know heat is bad but I used to flat-iron my hair at 410 for a full year (I know.. I was dumb for a year) with no visible damage except to my ends.

Damage is cumulative, so even if in the past you didn't notice any visible damage from the flat-ironing, it doesn't mean it can't show up later, say, even with basic daily manipulation or sun exposure - it could have been enough to tip things in a way, to start showing that old, accumulated damage...

I'd try to leave hair alone as much as possible and favor lowest manipulation updos. I'd recommend sleeping on silky smooth materials (bonnets/pillowcases), using wide-tooth seemless combs and detangling very gently, avoiding heat styling, chemical, mechanical and sun damage, pampering it with conditioners for damaged hair with ingredients like penetrating oils, hydrolyzed proteins (they help temporarily patch-repair gaps and help protect hair's integrity a bit), 18-MEA, ceramides, silicones (for slip and protection). Try to treat it like the proverbial "antique lace", at least for the time being. :flower:

tamiko
July 25th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Is there a way you can go without the straightening? What's your hair texture like, maybe you can let it grow out and go natural? I know that for some that is a big step.

I don't think keratin comes without formaldehyde, but I could be mistaken.

Please remember, it's not the protein that did it to you from a conditioner, it's this "keratin treatment" that is the culprit here.

I think I have a 2A curl. My hair is incredibly coarse and wiry. Unfortunately, the keratin treatment has gotten rid of my curls and my hair is now really frizzy and poofy when air dried. I don't think I can go without heat to be honest. I know it's bad. I'm interviewing for jobs right now and my hair would be terrible. Is there a way to straighten my hair once a week as 'safely' as possible? Or am I just doomed at this point?

lapushka
July 25th, 2017, 03:33 PM
I think I have a 2A curl. My hair is incredibly coarse and wiry. Unfortunately, the keratin treatment has gotten rid of my curls and my hair is now really frizzy and poofy when air dried. I don't think I can go without heat to be honest. I know it's bad. I'm interviewing for jobs right now and my hair would be terrible. Is there a way to straighten my hair once a week as 'safely' as possible? Or am I just doomed at this point?

Can you wear it in a ponytail? Try and slick the short bits down with some gel, or make that the point at your crown where you do the ponytail - no need to use heat then. I think that might be your go-to style at this point, as an option. I would not use any heat! I mean you can blowdry (but I don't know how weak your hair is and if it can even take cool/warm air instead of hot (don't do that)), but hot tools, forget that! Please!

meteor
July 25th, 2017, 03:33 PM

Why not just learn some updos to control the frizz for the interviews, etc? A simple French twist or cinnabun can do wonders. Even if the hair is too thick/short for bunning, you can section it and do updos that way.
Not to add more to your concerns, but unfortunately that sudden frizz after chemical or heat treatments can also be a symptom of damage. Damaging practices often break some disulphide bonds, disturbing the natural curl/wave pattern, which can end up looking more frizzy.

tamiko
July 25th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Yup, you're right! The treatment has cysteamine in it to break the bonds in my hair and straighten it. I agree wholeheartedly that it was definitely the treatment that did this. I think what I meant to say was perhaps the lack of moisture in my hair further worsened an already bad situation

Unfortunately I don't know if I can take that step to being heat-free :(. Thank you for replying! :) I will take small steps in incorporating protein back into my routine.

tamiko
July 25th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Can you wear it in a ponytail? Try and slick the short bits down with some gel, or make that the point at your crown where you do the ponytail - no need to use heat then. I think that might be your go-to style at this point, as an option. I would not use any heat! I mean you can blowdry (but I don't know how weak your hair is and if it can even take cool/warm air instead of hot (don't do that)), but hot tools, forget that! Please!

This will be a huge step for me. Not to sound ridiculous but I've been flat-ironing my hair for a good 10 years now - it will be a habit that will be hard to break. I will try my best for the sake of my hair.

tamiko
July 25th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Why not just learn some updos to control the frizz for the interviews, etc? A simple French twist or cinnabun can do wonders. Even if the hair is too thick/short for bunning, you can section it and do updos that way.
Not to add more to your concerns, but unfortunately that sudden frizz after chemical or heat treatments can also be a symptom of damage. Damaging practices often break some disulphide bonds, disturbing the natural curl/wave pattern, which can end up looking more frizzy.

I think you are right. The whole treatment involved breaking down the bonds in my hair to restructure it. I think I will try and explain further hair options. Weaning myself off of heat will be very difficult, but I will try my best

spidermom
July 25th, 2017, 07:50 PM
I recommend cold turkey; get rid of your heat tools, then you can't use them.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 25th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Yes, getting rid of your heat tools is the best way to not use them. It would probably pay to give your hair a good long break from straightening and heat tools, they are not friends to your hair.

papayatree
July 25th, 2017, 08:41 PM
Yes, getting rid of your heat tools is the best way to not use them. It would probably pay to give your hair a good long break from straightening and heat tools, they are not friends to your hair.

The best thing is to never own one. The next best is to get rid of the ones you have now. I will NEVER own a heat tool, because this is what happens.

https://youtu.be/g80cGD67UXY

lapushka
July 26th, 2017, 06:32 AM
OMG. Poor girl. :o I don't understand, though. That straightener was barely on there.

spidermom
July 26th, 2017, 11:38 AM
OMG. Poor girl. :o I don't understand, though. That straightener was barely on there.

Those tools can get very hot; it wouldn't take long to burn through fine hair, especially if she has some kind of pomade-like product on it.

lapushka
July 26th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Those tools can get very hot; it wouldn't take long to burn through fine hair, especially if she has some kind of pomade-like product on it.

Yes the thing must have been on max. temp. or something like that. I hate it when I see it happen.

LadyCelestina
July 26th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Could you do with just blowing your hair out or setting it in large rollers? It might make the damage worse, but not as much as straightening would.

tamiko
July 29th, 2017, 05:07 PM

Thankfully this video is actually just a parody! It says so in the description. I would absolutely freak out if that happened. Thank god it's not real :tmi:

This is my first week without heat and so far so good. I practiced a few styling tips (not a fan of bunning or ponytails because I have a rather large forehead) and a semi-updo works well with my hair. My hair takes forever to air dry, so I suspect I might have low-porosity hair.

Also, does anyone have tips for flattening the baby broken hairs? They kind of stick up all around my part and I look a little ridiculous. I was thinking of getting a pomade or some sort of wax stick, but I don't know if this further damages the hair.

tamiko
July 29th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Could you do with just blowing your hair out or setting it in large rollers? It might make the damage worse, but not as much as straightening would.

I could try this! I'm OK with letting my hair air dry right now since I don't have many interviews coming up. I also found a nice semi up-do seems to work OK for my hair. I'm actually a little excited to begin my heat-free journey :).

However now I'm struggling a little with styling some of the breakage I have around my parting. Is pomade and wax OK to flatten my broken hairs down? I read that gel is really made for breakage because it dries out the hair. Just trying to my best to let them grow out as damage-free as possible!

likelikepenny
July 29th, 2017, 05:46 PM
I could try this! I'm OK with letting my hair air dry right now since I don't have many interviews coming up. I also found a nice semi up-do seems to work OK for my hair. I'm actually a little excited to begin my heat-free journey :).

However now I'm struggling a little with styling some of the breakage I have around my parting. Is pomade and wax OK to flatten my broken hairs down? I read that gel is really made for breakage because it dries out the hair. Just trying to my best to let them grow out as damage-free as possible!

If you get an alcohol free gel, you should be fine.

Dark40
July 29th, 2017, 08:14 PM
Keratin treatments are not meant to treat and condition damaged hair. They are the most dangerous chemical treatments out there. They are more damaging to the hair than getting it straightened by relaxers or straighteners. I get my hair relaxed every 20 weeks, and I don't ever have any breakage. But all you can do now is baby it and pamper it with lots of deep moisturizing conditioners, and it should grow back.

tamiko
July 30th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Keratin treatments are not meant to treat and condition damaged hair. They are the most dangerous chemical treatments out there. They are more damaging to the hair than getting it straightened by relaxers or straighteners. I get my hair relaxed every 20 weeks, and I don't ever have any breakage. But all you can do now is baby it and pamper it with lots of deep moisturizing conditioners, and it should grow back.

I agree with this. I've had Japanese rebonding done for over 10+ years and I never had any damage, especially damage like this. I used to get rebonding done annually and with this keratin treatment I actually waited 2 years for my natural hair to grow out. My hair literally started falling out and shedding like crazy the first wash after I got this keratin treatment done. I hate how hairdressers are so quick to praise keratin treatments. I hope this is a lesson for others to never get keratin treatments.

Dark40
August 10th, 2017, 07:55 PM
I agree with this. I've had Japanese rebonding done for over 10+ years and I never had any damage, especially damage like this. I used to get rebonding done annually and with this keratin treatment I actually waited 2 years for my natural hair to grow out. My hair literally started falling out and shedding like crazy the first wash after I got this keratin treatment done. I hate how hairdressers are so quick to praise keratin treatments. I hope this is a lesson for others to never get keratin treatments.

Wow, yeah I've heard that the Japanese rebonding is less damaging than the keratin treatment. I don't ever get any of those kind of treatments done to my hair these days. I only get a chemical relaxer put into my hair every 20 weeks. It's really suppose to be done every 6 weeks but I always like to stretch out my relaxer treatments so that I don't suffer any breakage or damage. Because, I color my hair as well. Yeah, I also hope this is a lesson for others too.